Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm going to be very interested in trying your approach. It's also cheap enough that I can afford one for a couple of different firearms. Glad you put me on to it.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ipopum
As I watched the video I learned so much. It did raise some questions that some of you could answer.

From the video angle would have been a shot to the left side of the shooter. Someone returning fire would have much less to shoot at than a frontal shot. The question also comes up , what is under the sweat shirt that he is wearing.

Those of you that more knowledgeable how does this factor into, what is a adequate caliber and where do I aim to take him out.

IP another good question. I'm happy to share my perspective with you on this, but there are various schools of thought on this with good merit. For me, adequate is 3 magazines of 13 to 15 +1 rounds in a caliber from 9mm to 45. Anything less I consider a compromise.

In that particular instant, according to Jack, the only shot he had was at the guys head, so in that case, you take the only shot you have.

Now not all of here are Jack Wilson. But in those circumstances, you still take the shot. According to the best studies we have on mass shootings, even if you miss, it's far superior to taking no action at all. The single most important variable in mass shooting is the length of time from when to bad guys opens fire, until gunfire is returned. In the majority of there scenario's, end with the shooter committing suicide ,or surrendering, at the first sign of resistance.

Columbine, School resource officer got lead into one of the shooters, they went to to the library, and after shooting it up, committed suicide.
Colorado New Life Church, after Jeanne Assam got some lead into the shooter he committed suicide.
Aurora Theater, Once police showed up, the shooter surrendered without a fight...and so on.....point is, it's a common pattern.

Lets say you miss, even if they don't immediately off them self, you've taken the initiative from them, and they are no longer of the offense, but have to play defense. This impairs their opportunities to inflict further mayhem, but now you're trading pop shot with a guy with a 12 gauge...maybe he's not giving you any clear shots, so the best you can do he give some cover fire to keep his head down while other evacuate and call for help. How long can you do that with a J-frame .38? What if you need to apply some fire-and-maneuver so you can get a better shot. Again, how effective can such a tactic be with a 5 shot revolver?

Now presuming you have an option, and you are not just confined to just shooting at what you are given, CNS hits stop fights. The spine resides in the middle of the body, so it's a good starting point for your point of aim. Personally, I like the high chest aim. Draw a line from the top of the arm pits to the bottom of the neck, and hold in the center. If you turn off the circuitry above the arms, the fight is over. This has an additional advantage. Many vests have a coverage gap in this area.

If you are concerned about shooting around a vest, the other option is the low spine shot. The bottom of many vests is around the navel, so aim half way between the navel and the bottom of the tail bone. Hits to the lower spine will impair their mobility, anchoring them in place, further degrading their combat effectiveness, giving you the maneuver advantage. Depending on the scenario, there may be intelligence value in interrogating the shooter, presuming of course, he doesn't choose offing himself over a wheel chair.

Another potential solution is called the "zipper method". This is typically used for closer encounters. As you draw and bring your gun up, center on the spine, and as soon as you have torso behind the muzzle, pull the trigger. Keep bringing your muzzle up, and keep pulling the trigger until you've run the length of the spine from the crotch to the base of the neck, or until the fight is over. The goal is to impart maximum shock to the CNS, stopping the fight.

Of course, it's easy to write this from the comfort of my library, about the only thing I can say for certain about any scenario you might face is it will be a surprise, with it's own unique set of variables.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by denton
I do shoot fairly often, and that 41 Mag is an abundantly accurate piece. It will put 170 grain bullets at nearly 1400 FPS into about 2 1/2" at 15 yards. What's not to like about that?

Oh. Yeah. The weight. And the blast. It's ported.

And magazine capacity.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some great points made their Antelope Sniper !!!

These POS Cowards don’t do to well when taking return fire.
Most often they take the coward’s way out and shoot them self’s.

Also, my thoughts too on carrying at least two extra hi-cap mags. I want to be able to lay down cover fire to get to a better position to take the POS out if I don’t on the initial shots.
And more ammo in case there are multiple shooters.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I just object to the weight and the tendency to pull my pants down on the right side.

That's a part of the beauty of the Remora................because it's inside your belt & pants but not hanging onto the belt, it tends to not cause the problem you are referring to. It's held in place buy the tackiness of the holster material itself.

I can easily carry a steel framed Commander sized 1911 w/o any pants / belt issues. Yes, the weight is still on your hip, but your belt is not being sagged down.

The weight of the 5" 1911 is not a problem for me, but the length is if much of my time is sitting down.

MM

Which is why a prefer a 4" 1911 when I choose to carry one.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I just object to the weight and the tendency to pull my pants down on the right side.

That's a part of the beauty of the Remora................because it's inside your belt & pants but not hanging onto the belt, it tends to not cause the problem you are referring to. It's held in place buy the tackiness of the holster material itself.

I can easily carry a steel framed Commander sized 1911 w/o any pants / belt issues. Yes, the weight is still on your hip, but your belt is not being sagged down.

The weight of the 5" 1911 is not a problem for me, but the length is if much of my time is sitting down.

MM

Makes sense. Thanks again MM !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
And magazine capacity.

Yup. There is that. You do have to make every shot count. And speed loaders are kind of awkward, vs. a magazine.

You also have to remember that if you start returning fire, you will become the focus of the shooter's attention. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by denton; 01/04/20.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope it works out for you.............PM if I can be of any help to you.

FYI, one of the more well respected posters here in the handgun forum is "RJM" & he has gone pretty much exclusively with Remora's for his Commander 1911's. Between him & my son, I gave it a try although I was pretty skeptical until I actually gave it a fair trial.

Good Luck.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
And magazine capacity.

Yup. There is that. You do have to make every shot count. And speed loaders are kind of awkward, vs. a magazine.

You also have to remember that if you start returning fire, you will become the focus of the shooter's attention. Plan accordingly.

Denton,

IMO, your XDS with an 8 round mag, plus a couple of extra's, is a significant step in the right direction.

What about something like a used Gen 3 Glock 19? Reliable, easy to work on, cheap to practice with, great range of gear and after market options, and cheap enough you wouldn't care if you had to drop it in an evidence bag?

And you have an excuse to buy the new Glock 44 in .22 lr for even cheaper practice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've heard almost nothing bad about the 365.

Seriously??

Not much.

I remember a whole spate of them: Front sight falling off, broken trigger return spring, broken striker, and of course primer drag.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lvmiker
JFC! get a phuggin Glock and practice until your hands bleed.

mike r

This.

And carry on the belt, not the pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lately, I've been packing my new to me 6 shot colt Detective Special IWB, at 3:00

And my Sig P 365 in a pocket holster in my left inside jacket pocket.

The Sig is faster to get at while driving or sitting.

To my way of thinking, this beats reloading under stress.

I've heard it called the New York reload.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 01/05/20.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Of course, it's easy to write this from the comfort of my library, about the only thing I can say for certain about any scenario you might face is it will be a surprise, with it's own unique set of variables.

Exactamundo. Every scenario is different. You are best off with what you are most comfortable with. If you are comfortable and confident, you will win. Theres a HUGE mental aspect to it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
When going to church with Mom and or Wife, I wear either 1911 in 45 ACP or 10mm in a Desert Gun Leather cross draw holster, it is easily accessible seated with a quick swipe of a left hand to clear a shirt being worn untucked or simple yanking out of a suit sport/coat with the right hand, 1911 because I can hit with them easier, quicker and more accurately than any other handgun I have, plus, imho, maximum capacity will not be an issue in a church shooting situation especially with other members I know that carry AND a church security detail team, the DW 10mm holds 11 rounds, the Baer 45 holds 9 all up.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Member
Online Sad
Campfire Member
A
Most here have more experience than I, but a couple of points:

With Remora holsters, do not forget you are wearing them when you go to the bathroom. You loosen your belt, you drop your gun.

A lot of folks have talked about making some pretty radical changes in gun form factor. I have always tried to avoid picking guns that require different training and muscle memory. All of my carry choices follow the 1911 layout. The safety and magazine release are in the same place, so all practice drills are the same, whether it is a Browning Huntsman (not a carry gun), P238, or full frame 1911.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Most here have more experience than I, but a couple of points:

With Remora holsters, do not forget you are wearing them when you go to the bathroom. You loosen your belt, you drop your gun.

A lot of folks have talked about making some pretty radical changes in gun form factor. I have always tried to avoid picking guns that require different training and muscle memory. All of my carry choices follow the 1911 layout. The safety and magazine release are in the same place, so all practice drills are the same, whether it is a Browning Huntsman (not a carry gun), P238, or full frame 1911.

Yes, try to crap at the house, a simple unzip of the fly to piss wont cause a man to drop anything, very good points on carrying a familiar design.

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"I'm heavy, and can't manage some of the holsters that more slender people use."

It's hard for a slender person to conceal a full sized pistol. I've tried shoulder holsters but even while wearing a coat or jacket it looks like I'm carrying a chain saw under my arm. I have an IWB holster for my Glock 27 but I can only wear it with pants that have a 2" bigger waist. I can carry the Glock 27 with a regular belt holster but it's not concealed very well. I have an ankle holster for my S&W Airweight .38 special but it won't stay above my ankle and would be very hard to draw quickly in an emergency. The only pistol I can easily conceal is a North American .22 mag 5 shot revolver and I carry it everywhere.

Last edited by victoro; 01/05/20.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by victoro
"I'm heavy, and can't manage some of the holsters that more slender people use."

It's hard for a slender person to conceal a full sized pistol. I've tried shoulder holsters but even while wearing a coat or jacket it looks like I'm carrying a chain saw under my arm. I have an IWB holster for my Glock 27 but I can only wear it with pants that have a 2" bigger waist. I can carry the Glock 27 with a regular belt holster but it's not concealed very well. I have an ankle holster for my S&W Airweight .38 special but it won't stay above my ankle and would be very hard to draw quickly in an emergency. The only pistol I can easily conceal is a North American .22 mag 5 shot revolver and I carry it everywhere.

Victoro,

Like you, I'm on the slim side, just not as slim as I used to be. The Glock 19 size is pretty much the biggest I can conceal well on the belt, and yes, I have to wear my pants a little bigger, and wear my dress shirts bloused. In Colorado we have a long spring and fall, so it's common for myself and others to carry iwb, but outside the shirt, under a light jacket, unzipped for quick access.

Some around here like wearing the heavy quilted shirts. In addition to the warmth, the shirts extra bulk add an layer of concealability as well. Like wise, I've started buying some of my dress shirts a size larger, and my next batch of pocketed T-[bleep] will be a size larger as well.

For me, holsters have been an issue. Many are so much bulky they ruin the concealability of the G19, so here's one of the solutions I've found:

https://www.glockstore.com/Advanced-Holster-Mini-Concealment-Holster

Of course, some of what works in the Colorado climate may not work in Florida or Texas, but we have very knowledgeable members from other climates who can chime if with solutions for their areas.

Going from a mini to a compact carry piece can be a process that takes some time and thought, but it's very doable, and you will be better prepared as a result.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
what i carry depends on time of year and how many clothes i have on ,being a Minnesota resident that can change with the temp and the season.but i do like a 1911 but my favorite is still a 44 mag 6 inch 629 Smith & Wesson its deadly but hard to hide too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Early in my CCW path, I bought a shoulder holster for my Ruger P90. Everyone on 24HCF said I was nuts. The problem is that I'm big and there is not a whole lot of room in my waistband, but hiding it all under my armpits-- it all gets kind of lost.

I'm now shooting a P95-- switched to 9mm double stack just to get the round count up. If I'm going somewhere that makes that hard to pull off, I also have a Ruger LCR in 357 Mag.

I'm an accurate shooter, but not a quick draw. Age has robbed me of my lightning reflexes (yeah right!) so now I have only my ready smile, my quick wit, and my trust in the Lord.

EDIT: That was the wrong clip! This is the one I wanted:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtUFElxcXrU/video]

In case something happens at church, I try to sit behind large fat women

Last edited by shaman; 01/06/20. Reason: Wrong Youtube

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 1badf350, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,189
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.