Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...have changed the game, for me at least.

My current self defense collection is a mish-mash of different ergonomics and trigger types; one striker fired with the characteristic "staple gun" trigger, one DA/SA and two with long DA type pulls. A Springfield XDm .45 on the nightstand, a Beretta 92FS in the vehicle, Kahr CW9 and an original LCP .380 for general carry to be specific. That LCP gets carried most when out for walks around the neighborhood and even when I should carry the Kahr in areas where more people are present the little LCP still gets the nod just for convenience. No practice or understudy pieces to any of those, my only .22 autos are a Ruger Mk III and IV. On the range where I am calm and collected I can still operate and hit very well with each of them. Just give me a second to adjust... wink

Now I never cared for Glocks, don't have anything at all against them, they just didn't fit my criteria. However, some honest evaluation reveals that I look at them through the eyes of a handloader and range shooter. Hate to chase brass, far more of a precision minded than a volume reloader, volume shooting = cast bullets in my mind, etc. With any of the current collection you can burn through 100 or 200 rounds of 9mm or .380 in a very short time practicing speed and accuracy drills and even with dirt cheap 9mm ammo the cost adds up, and then you have to practice with each one separately to establish any muscle memory. It leads to less practice than is optimal and less than optimal practice when I do.

Finally getting to the subject, the introduction of the Glock 44 and LCP II .22 have really changed the game from my perspective and that's entirely due to allowing one to practice not only more cheaply with identical guns but without having to chase brass and reload it. Same/same handguns in size, very similar weight and identical ergonomics and operating characteristics as their larger brethren. I know the Glock and Ruger trigger pulls are not identical but darn close in feel, much more so than my current four.

You can see where this going, and probably where most people are or should be already, but in the very near future I'm going to go ahead and spend the bucks to replace my entire haphazard arsenal and standardize with a Glock G19/G44 and a Ruger LCP II in .380 and .22. Maybe/probably get a G17 for the car as well.

Recent events and life in general - getting older, changing demographics of my home town, this and that - make me realize that I've only been half-ass serious about defensive carry and an opportunity presents itself to get whole-ass serious.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. I picked up a Ruger LCP .22 the other day at my LGS.
I figure it will be a great practice tool for becoming more proficient with my LCP .380.

And a great little game dispatcher to throw in my hunting pack too.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/05/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just think the little ruger looks like it'd be as much fun as a basket of puppys

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I figure it will be a great practice tool for becoming more proficient with my LCP .380.

Have you had a chance to see how them sights line up?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
a ruger lcp2 22lr will serve the “other” role for me: ccw. i am hoping that it function reliably as a shrunken sr22.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smallfry

Have you had a chance to see how them sights line up?

No yet.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really want one to go along with my LCP II .380 I've been carrying for a few years now. I think I actually like the idea of a manual safety on this one. Hopefully they've got the bugs worked out of them because I won't wait much longer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just put money on a Glock 44 for this very reason.

GREAT practice tool for my Glock 19, and to sharpen my handgun skills all around!

Can't WAIT for my new Glock to be released on the 20th.

Virgil B.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Don’t forget that the Glock 44 can also serve as an understudy for the Glock 36!

I switched my 19 to a 36 when my state limited us to 10 round mags.

The Glock 36 and Glock 19 are nearly identical in dimensions and do use the same holsters. The G36 is ever so slightly slimmer in the grip than the G19.

Last edited by alukban; 01/06/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I really want one to go along with my LCP II .380 I've been carrying for a few years now. I think I actually like the idea of a manual safety on this one. Hopefully they've got the bugs worked out of them because I won't wait much longer.

Me too. I didn’t wait. 😬 I’m extremely busy right now but I’ll post a report as soon as I get a chance to try mine out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Me too. I didn’t wait. 😬 I’m extremely busy right now but I’ll post a report as soon as I get a chance to try mine out.

I won’t make it till the end of the week. I’m holding out another day or two over $40. I’m cheaping out hoping other dealers will get a fresh batch in. But I’ve already ordered a Hogue grip so I’m committed. cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I won’t make it till the end of the week. I’m holding out another day or two over $40. I’m cheaping out hoping other dealers will get a fresh batch in. But I’ve already ordered a Hogue grip so I’m committed. cool

LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

LOL

Screw it I caved - order confirmed. Shows in stock so hopefully it will be here by Friday and slinging lead Saturday.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'll probably pick up a Glock 44 some time this year.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Both pistols seem like great offerings. I want one of the Glock 44...….first…..grin

As a lefty, I already have G17 and G19 holsters of all types, that it would ride in just fine. And the weight, 14 oz, is around 9 ounces less than a Ruger 22/45 Lite at 23 oz.

Great trainer, or trail/backpack kit gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, if I were a Glock guy the G44 would be on my bucket list just for kicks. But I've grown to like the LCP II .380 so having one in .22lr will be a fun gun. Looks like the LCP II .22 comes in just a hair over 11 oz. and the .380 just under 11. It'll be interesting to compare weights when loaded and overall balance. Just need it to hurry up and jump on the big brown truck.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Glock should offer magazines with a thick lead lining to bring the overall weight up a little closer to the Model 19. There's lots of empty space in those wide body magazines, since the ammo is held single stack.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I picked up the Ruger today and it shoots great!

It does cycle CCI Standard Vel and it ran some Aguila SSS just fine also.

It fed and shot Aguila Colibris but they don’t eject so you just have to hand cycle them. The Colibris still connected on 6” plates at 25y and had almost zero recoil and minimal sound.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alukban
I picked up the Ruger today and it shoots great!

It does cycle CCI Standard Vel and it ran some Aguila SSS just fine also.

It fed and shot Aguila Colibris but they don’t eject so you just have to hand cycle them. The Colibris still connected on 6” plates at 25y and had almost zero recoil and minimal sound.

I was wondering how it would handle the Colibris. Don’t plan to shoot many, but good to know it can.

What do you think of the manual safety?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Colibris are always fun and it ia probably tue best to to use for kids and the super recoil shy. I can shoot these indoors and not have to clean up/chase brass smile

You can also randomly load these into a mag for training because they feed and shoot but just FTE. This is a really neat thing to be able to do.

I do not mind the safety at all. It is stiff and snickety enough that I doibt it would be accidentally move in my pocket, bag, or belt line. If I don’t like it, I can ignore it and not use it because it does not activate automatically in normal use of the weapon. I do not like that it does not physically jam/lock the slide into battery though. That would have been a plus for me because the recoil spring is very light and even pressure on the barrel from above the gun towards the trigger can remove it from battery.

Although the rear sight does not have a sharp edge for one handed slide manipulation, one can grap the slide itself and work it against an imobilized grip butt - stroke it against your hip or hold the grip between your knees.

The grip angle is very vertical. This is good because it allows you to shoot it comfortably closer to your eye, with elbows more bent, and thus see the front sight bigger/better focus without a severe break/angle in your wrist. It’s angle is much like the Colt Pocket which I like a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,465
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.