Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Originally Posted by hanco
We used to ride around at night and shoot jackrabbits. That was fun, probably drank a beer or two also!

If you were like me,you probably drank a bunch of beers.....Lol

We did, my company truck had a headache rack, so I built a seat to bolt on the rack. Your feet were on the toolbox. It was nothing to shoot 200 rabbits in a night. It took a lot of beer!

Last edited by hanco; 01/06/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baldhunter
We used to ride around at night and shoot jackrabbits. That was fun, probably drank a beer or two also!

If you were like me,you probably drank a bunch of beers.....Lol

We did, my company truck had a headache rack, so I built a seat to bolt on the rack. Your feet were on the toolbox. It was nothing to shoot 200 rabbits in a night. It took s lot of beer!

That's about all we had to shoot at when I was a kid out in west Texas!

Jackrabbits and coyotes. Coyotes were bringing $20 each back then. We thought we were rich. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jimy
I lived and worked in Odessa for years, the "deer lease" was my first experience at Texas deer hunting, it consisted of ten or twelve corn feeders on timers, set to go off at half hour intervals, us "hunters" could chose to sit and watch one of these feeders, or ride around in the back of a truck with a bench seat bolted to a rack in the back, the trucks were the most comfortable because you had a cooler beside you and the view changed as you changed feeders, there was no special equipment needed.

I have hunted 10 other states for everything from doves and grouse to mule deer and elk from Tennessee to Wyoming and no where was anything like what I experienced in Texas. I don't understand why Texans get so redassed over how they kill stuff, it's just not done like that anywhere else in the country, and in most places it's illegal to shoot from a truck or over bait, it's just that simple.

I'm sure everyone in Texas is losing sleep over what your condescending judgements of them are. grin

I have Sandbilly's number around here somewhere, if ya'll want to start a club or something....LOL.

Most here know it’s not hunting, they just won’t post it because they don’t want to listen to you whine your no hunting ass off about it.

Some just can’t get it done any other way.

I’m a Texas resident, it’s pretty much the only thing embarrassing about the state for this TEXAN.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I lived and worked in Odessa for years, the "deer lease" was my first experience at Texas deer hunting, it consisted of ten or twelve corn feeders on timers, set to go off at half hour intervals, us "hunters" could chose to sit and watch one of these feeders, or ride around in the back of a truck with a bench seat bolted to a rack in the back, the trucks were the most comfortable because you had a cooler beside you and the view changed as you changed feeders, there was no special equipment needed.

I have hunted 10 other states for everything from doves and grouse to mule deer and elk from Tennessee to Wyoming and no where was anything like what I experienced in Texas. I don't understand why Texans get so redassed over how they kill stuff, it's just not done like that anywhere else in the country, and in most places it's illegal to shoot from a truck or over bait, it's just that simple.

I'm sure everyone in Texas is losing sleep over what your condescending judgements of them are. grin

I have Sandbilly's number around here somewhere, if ya'll want to start a club or something....LOL.

Most here know it’s not hunting, they just won’t post it because they don’t want to listen to you whine your no hunting ass off about it.

I’m a Texas resident, it’s pretty much the only thing embarrassing about the state for this TEXAN.

It doesn’t embarrass me. I don’t have much time to hunt. Scattering our corn lets you see a little more game. When I hunted Coleman County, we hunted the winter wheat fields. I guess that’s bad too????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh gawd, don't you just love the hunting "purists" who do everything so perfectly instead of giving due regard to hunting conditions that might favor baiting?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Oh gawd, don't you just love the hunting "purists" who do everything so perfectly instead of giving due regard to hunting conditions that might favor baiting?

Yup! To me hunting over corn is no different from utilizing telescopic sights and a repeating rifle.

But to each his own. I don’t care one way or the other.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Yup! To me hunting over corn is no different from utilizing telescopic sights and a repeating rifle.

But to each his own. I don’t care one way or the other.

Or using laser range finders and scopes with all kinds of gizmos to take game at 800 yards.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I concur my friend!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You got lots of folks to educate to your way of thinking.

Best get to it! grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well where did you hunt this year then?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The most embarrassing thing is that he identifies as a Texan.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"twelve corn feeders on timers, set to go off at half hour intervals"

I suspected you were a liar but this statement proves it. NOBODY in Texas has ever set a feeder to go off every 30 minutes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You got lots of folks to educate to your way of thinking.

Best get to it! grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I find those numbers very interesting as I am told by DNR personell that Wisconsin bases regulations very much with non-resident hunters in mind for such little return in license fee's. A playoff game for the Packer's brings in over 15 million for the weekend for the Green Bay area.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RandyR

I find those numbers very interesting as I am told by DNR personell that Wisconsin bases regulations very much with non-resident hunters in mind for such little return in license fee's. A playoff game for the Packer's brings in over 15 million for the weekend for the Green Bay area.

I think Texas does it's own thing as far as out of states licenses sold. But, as an industry, hunting and fishing brings in more than $15 Billion annually in Texas.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Texas has a lot of hunting opportunities, very little for free. You wanna play, you gotta pay!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
never knew Ga had the most nonresident hunting licenses sold. Interesting, I'm sure a lot of that is the Florida crowd leasing up any scrub deer lease they can find...and we do get our share of out of state hog hunters.

Last edited by killerv; 01/06/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by victoro
"twelve corn feeders on timers, set to go off at half hour intervals"

I suspected you were a liar but this statement proves it. NOBODY in Texas has ever set a feeder to go off every 30 minutes.

Hey dickweed, the next feeder went off in a half hour, 12 feeders, 6 hours, then start at the beginning again, oldtimers getting to you?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I agree with Rio7 about bringing in outside hog hunters. It's a whole different dynamic and a PITA unless you're set up for it. And, getting set up takes time and costs money. Time IS money. So, why should a rancher become a free host of a hoard of outsiders running rampant over his land. If you let them on the place, you gotta manage them, lest they leave gates open, create havoc, etc. Nothing good to come out of it.

Now, if one so chooses to set up for hog hunting guests, those guests need to pay their way. Killing hogs is a good thing, but a secondary concern to having the place over run with "guests". Don't ya reckon that's one reason Texas is so against trespassing on private property. And, yep, they're pretty serious about it.

You gotta see it from their point of view. As a land owner, I do.

DF.

Best explanation I have read, fact.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

How'd your deer hunting go this year?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (204guy, 280shooter, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.