Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14444985 01/08/20
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
My wife and I are headed there today and staying until Sunday. Looking for some restaurant recs. Will be staying downtown, but open to Ubering anywhere. Interested in barbeque, italian and mexican, or anything else of interest. Don;t need any high dollar dress up places, they usually disappoint anyway. Love to hear from you guys. Anyone else here headed to DSC?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll be working the EuroOptic gun booth for Blaser. Come by and say hi. Also, we're trying to get a meet & greet one night after the show with all the campfire members. I've posted somethings about it but haven't heard too much back. Lots of good eats in the Dallas downtown area. Y-O Ranch offers steaks and wild game dinners that are good. Tons of good Mexican food places, like Meso Mayo, which is downtown. I'll get some more names.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
My wife and I are headed there today and staying until Sunday. Looking for some restaurant recs. Will be staying downtown, but open to Ubering anywhere. Interested in barbeque, italian and mexican, or anything else of interest. Don;t need any high dollar dress up places, they usually disappoint anyway. Love to hear from you guys. Anyone else here headed to DSC?

For bbq Pecan Lodge is a good place to start.

http://pecanlodge.com

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mexican - Javier's for a sit down. Get the Filete Cantinflas

Mexican - Tacos Mariachi for some amazing street tacos (sit down restaurant). Go to the one in Trinity Groves. The Lengua Taco is out of this world.

BBQ - Come up to McKinney (the city, not the street) for Hutchins. It's really really, really, good and according to my BBQ snob friends "Amazing" (I'm not a huge BBQ guy, so I can't tell you if it's Amazing or just really good)

...or if you don't want to pay for that far of an Uber, try Slow Bone over in Design District. Get the Cornbread Pudding for dessert. It's fantastic.

When it comes to transport. Check out Alto Rideshare. It's a startup and I have heard good things from a few people. https://ridealto.com/

Italian - There's a really good Italian place that is cheap on McKinney Ave. Avanti Ristorante We got there for lunch. It has to be a front for the mob. They have huge portions, for cheap, on expensive real estate.

Italian - 60 Vines in the Crescent is pretty cheap for lunch and their pizzas are good.

Feel free to reach out via PM

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RNF
Originally Posted by NDsnowman

For bbq Pecan Lodge is a good place to start.

http://pecanlodge.com

How could I forget Pecan Lodge? They are good too. It sounds crazy, but they have the best fried chicken I've ever had. Don't know if I caught them on a great day or not, but it was fantastic.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Pecan Lodge is very good!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taco Bell never disappoints.

Anything else is just an $80 turd the next day.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dallas has a Fogo de Chao Brazilian steakhouse. That place is a carnivore's dream come true!

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

My friend...you have stumbled upon a universal truth.

I did a lot of time in Dallas as a youngster. Now that the old folks are all dead or moved out, I have very little to go there for. There are some good gunshows, but mainly in Fort Worth IMO. DFW was once a good town, but time marches on.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You're heading down this weekend and not going to the game?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you still get a bowl of red, downtown?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll second Hutchins in McKinney for BBQ.
Best brisket I've ever had.

Can't help you in Dallas, I avoid the place like the plague if at all possible.
And it's 25 miles from my door to downtown.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
The Original Market Diner on Harry Hines is excellent and not far from downtown.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Google up The stockyards - Risckeys steakhouse. If you happen to be in the Mesquite area, Mesquite BBQ. Just a little place with very few tables but it is worth it

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

No wonder you turds are green..... smile. Still a valid point, second part.

Back in '78 I walked into a Denver Taco Bell and the rancid burned grease smell turned my stomach. 90 seconds later I left, and I was just in there to apply for a job.

I haven't been in one since.

Last edited by las; 01/08/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las

No wonder you turds are green..... smile. Still a valid point, second part.

Back in '78 I walked into a Denver Taco Bell and the rancid burned grease smell turned my stomach. 90 seconds later I left, and I was just in there to apply for a job.

I haven't been in one since.

Hahaha. Tff.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I hit a Taco Hell every few months.

Takes 8-12 weeks to forget why I haven’t been back.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Downtown Dallas is not a pit like, say, Newark or Detroit, but you best keep your head on a swivel. If you have a CHL valid for Texas, pack you heater. None of my suggestions are fancy, but the chow of good.

BARBECUE

Shorty's BBQ near Mesquite at US80 and Lawson road.
780 US-80, Sunnyvale, TX 75182
An old truck stop converted into a hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint. Décor is dilapidated, chow is better than BBQ joints charging much more (COUGHpecanlodgeCOUGH). Everybody gets a bowl of beans, the flavor of which will leave you wondering why you should not just order more beans. Then you get your entrée and recall why you ordered BBQ.

Hutchins in McKinney is also good and better than high-dollar downtown Dallas excuses for BBQ joints.

SOUL

Two Podners Bar-B-Que & Seafood
1441 Robert B Cullum Blvd, Dallas, TX 75210
Bad neighborhood, great soul food. Catfish fried right when you ordered it worth every second you wait for it. If you have a CHL valid in Texas, not a bad idea to put it to use, though I have not heard of any crime in Two Podners. I mean, crooks gotta eat, too? Across the street from Fair Park. You'll order that cobbler "to go," catch a whiff, and decide to eat it right there.

MEXICAN

Joe T Garcias for the win, no contest.
Joe T. Garcia's
2201 N Commerce St, Fort Worth, TX 76164
Joe T's went decades with one item on the menu: the Mexican Dinner. When I moved to DFW, they doubled the size of the menu and added fajitas. Some days they now have a full mexi-menu. I stick to beef fajitas or Mexican dinner, whatever my wife is NOT ordering, so we can share the best of each other's meals.

HOT DOG / BURGER JOINT

Angry Dog
2726 Commerce St, Dallas, TX 75226
The burger & dog about the best in Dallas, and fish sandwich is no slouch. Second best cheesy fries in DFW. Deep Ellum location, so keep your head up.

Del's Charcoal Burgers
110 S McKinney St, Richardson, TX 75081
You like greasy burgers and home-made soda pop?

BREAKFAST

Cafe Brazil
2815 Elm St, Dallas, TX 75226
Lots of good bfast eats. Good for lunch & diner, too. I like El Gordo Crepes best.

CHEAP CAJUN

TJ Cajun Seafood & Wings
8131 Forest Ln, Dallas, TX 75243
Always get the catfish, not the other fishes. Boudain balls worth fighting over. Gumbo darned good. Fresh fried catfish yummy.

AUTHENTIC "DEAD COOKED BIRDS HANGING IN THE THRESHOLD BY THEIR NECK" CHINESE BBQ

First Chinese B-B-Q
111 S Greenville Ave, Richardson, TX 75081
Any dish with fowl and/or cabbage is worth devouring here. OTOH, plenty of items no round eye should ever eat, but the numerous Chinese folks suck down with abandon. Bring cash, as they don't accept cards or checks. Actually, LOTS of good oriental eats in Richardson of all sorts. Used to be able to get stinky tofu across the street at the horrifically deceptively named 'May's Ice Cream." Bet there were some culinary PTSD cases came stumbling out there.

STEAK

Nobody makes a steak like I can, so I am not willing to pay some schmoe big bucks to ruin good beef.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the ideas guys. DaninAk and I will be down that way in April, and I'm sure we'll scope out one or more of these.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kuby's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.