Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jacare
I drew and went on Michigan's Elk hunt last year. I retained a well recommended guide...and what a joke the hunt turned out to be.

Every one of those "guides" puts their kids in for the donated licenses where original applicants cannot make the hunt or would prefer to donate to a minor. One of the guides I used had his kid drawn. The young girl had ZERO interest in hunting, and by what I saw of her, didn't know which end of the rifle the bullet came out of. She had a plethora of other guides seeking an antlerless animal, all the while "Dad" getting blasted every other five minutes by the mother who did not want the kid out of school to participate in something she didn't want to do in the first place. But amazingly, she got her elk, and a family got free meat for a year. I'd really like to know if they could lift fingerprints from a trigger, whose they would be.

If bouncing around in a pickup, chasing harried animals, or locating your quarry using a drone appeal to you, then by all means considera Michigan elk hunt. I can't draw again for 10 years, but to be honest if I knew I'd be drawn again next year I'd never apply again. I did get my elk, but it was not with a proud feeling.

Sorry to be so sour on what many consider an accomplishment, but from everything I saw this hunt is run like a three ring circus, and most outfits I saw were far from fair chase.

Was the problem the hunt or the guide?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Jeesh...where to start. The guide and his compatriots wanted nothing more than to get back to the local watering hole each evening. There was NO appreciation for nature...once I spied a maple tree that had a half dozen or so Pine Grosbeaks in it...worthy of stopping to admire. Guide grunted they're just birds, and that was that. They were chewers, smokers, suspected druggies. Stalking was not part of the equation...it was a bumpy pickup ride ALL day while a hillbilly designated as the "hound" followed fresh tracks with a tracking collar on him. When the group of elk neared a road or two track, it was haul a$$ to jump out the truck and basically shoot at animals as they crossed. I was encouraged to shoot at animals greatly obscured by brush at long range, on a road, on private land, etc.... and it's not like I don't hunt the same terrain for whitetails. Shooting into a tightly packed group of animals was also encouraged. When a mistake is made, ie....bull taken with an antlerless tag...two animals hit, etc. it's the HUNTER"S responsibility, not the high school dropout's. I declined to take several low percentage shots, and was chastised.

Drones were used to locate and harass animals by one of them, I was contacted by the DNR after the hunt and inquired about this, but without video proof they would not pursue the guy. We had farmers contact the guide during the hunt to state they had animals that could be taken easily, but the guide declined all offers because a trespass fee was involved, which I originally was told was included in the price. The whole hunt lacked professionalism from beginning to end, and hell no, they did not get a tip. Most of the other hunters guided by this group also jumped out of the vehicle, and blazed away at animals that had been chased all day. Single shot kills were rare. Mine was a single shot kill, but that's because I declined the shots they suggested I try.

I dislike remembering the hunt, and I've been on many a fine guided hunt. This was NOTHING like those. This was a free for all circus... run more like running bear or cats than hunting elk. Was not my cup of tea in the slightest. I'll never apply again.

Last edited by jacare; 01/09/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,492
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.