Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The short version:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The short version:

"A picture is worth a thousand words." (Or 57 pages of a thread!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure which is loonier, the guy that suggested making a centerfire 10-22 bolt or the guy that actually did the work on the mill, or the guy that has spent so much time developing the CF 22LR otherwise known as the 22GTC.......

either way my friends are certified LOONS.....

smile

and I wouldn't have it any other way.......

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from media2.giphy.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I would be bored to tears if relegated to nothing but the kind of stuff you see on the "new" racks in gun shops. It may explain why I drive my pristine 1970 MGBGT every chance I get too. Life is too short...

Please post video of you climbing, both in and out, of that MG.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, this is a rifle loony discussion, not a medical training affair.

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well I guess I am sadly not a loony. Just married 2 years ago, bought a house, teach school. That is 3 strikes against owning a lot of guns. But I do make sure I carry something different than most hunters, that has to count for something! Savage 340 chambered in 225 Winchester for groundhogs. 260 Rem for deer. 358 Winchester for deer and hopefully hogs this summer.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Its a bit cold here(-40F downtown this morning) and I was thinking of what would be the requisite battery of rifles for a rifle loony. I am on the hunt for another Savage 99 300 Savage E model 50s manufacture and I was thinking did I have the right qualifiers. I know there are folks on here that would say TEEEKA in all calibers and be done with it but that doesn't show an appreciation of history or the reb requirements(black rifle) to make one a loony. However, if you have dies, brass and power to reload for more than 40 calibers, then you are automatically a rifle loony. Also if you have either more than 10 rifles in the same caliber or if you make your own rifles( ones that don't suck) you are a rifle loony. Or if you only own 1 high power rifle but its in a weird caliber like 7X64 or 9.3X57 then you are also a rifle loony. I have listed some elements below and you can cut them up the way you like. I am sitting by a hot wood stove burning green wood during the wood stove ban trying to speed up global warming so fire away.

Rimfire- at least one old Remington or Winchester rifle. one marlin or browning lever. and one 10/22.
One companion rifle like a Kimber, Savage 77/22, CZ' that is as big as a big game rifle.
Varmint- one to four small caliber rifles (17 hornet to 220 swift)
two or three bigger coyote or light deer rifles (243-6.5 caliber) rifles.
Light Duty big game- one to two (250-300 to 270 caliber rifles.)
Big Game-(7X57 to 338)
Three rifles with two loaners)
Cruiser rifles( 30-30 to 45-70) - probably leverguns that can come out of the truck or boat.
Big Gun- (350 Rem Mag to 458 Lott) Even if you don't plan to hunt Buf in Africa its always good to have a rifle that could if you won a trip.
Muzzleloader- 50-58 caliber rifle for the past.
Black rifle- an AR15 type rifle to piss off liberals.

A rifle loony should have at least 1 savage 99 of any denomination.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 old winchester lever gun(94s or 92s are given but others are acceptable)
A rifle loony should have at least 1 walking varmint rifle(L461 Vixen)
A rifle loony should have at least 1 varmint rifle(big heavy 22-250 or such)
A rifle loony should have at least 1 243 in some type and heavily resist 6.5 manbun.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 mauser sporter.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 custom rifle.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 remington 700.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield
A rifle loony should have at least 1 pre64 winchester model 70.

Agree on all, but would modify one point to ”A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield or 1903 Springfield sporter.”

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
There are evidently several varying denominations of rifle-looneydom.

I think you might be one kind of rifle looney if you own at least one rifle you have to reload for because factory ammo is unavailable, at least in your neighborhood. And you knew that when you bought the rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, here's a kind of rifle that is pretty loony--a Sauer drilling with two 16-gauge barrels over a 7x57R rifle barrel.

The 7x57R is the rimmed version of the legendary 7x57 Mauser, and while you can order ammo it's easier to handload, since all you need is standard 7x57 dies, some brass and a different shellholder. The scope is a 1.5-6x Zeiss with a slim-posted German No. 1 reticle, which means you can turn it down to 1.5x and still wingshoot birds if you happen to flush one while hunting big game. (If you're hunting birds, it's a little easier to take off the quick-detachable scope, and if a deer stands up in the pheasant cover, shoot it with the open sights.)

This one's a little lighter than many drillings, 7-1/2 pounds with scope, and 6 pounds 5 ounces with the scope removed.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mule Deer; 01/09/20.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 7x57R is also known in some circles as the 7mm Ingwe Flanged. Here a more detailed view:

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yikes that sounds like fantastic gun!
I was just reminiscing about '16s while looking for ducks this morning....

The 16s are probably more cost effective to reload too.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oldmanofthe Sea,

Thanks!

Yeah, 16s can be a little cheaper to reload than buy factory. But there's still plenty of relative affordable (and effective)
16-gauge ammo out there. An ounce of shot patterns (and kills) great in a 16, and there's plenty of that out there, for less than exorbitant prices, especially if you buy a case.

The big reason drillings are most commonly in 16 is weight. It's kind of amazing how much less they weigh than 12-gauge drillings. Have owned and hunted with several of both.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mule Deer........you win. 👍

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan

No, I don't!

Anybody who develops a practical, accurate version of the centerfire .22 Long Rifle is, in my opinion, the Bull Goose Rifle Loony. (A reference, of course to ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, both the book and movie.)

Though I do have a couple other drillings, one even perhaps more versatile.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Soon as I get thru ROTFL I'll think of a gracious response.

Thanks,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Did you leave out a man licker?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Well I guess I am sadly not a loony. Just married 2 years ago, bought a house, teach school. That is 3 strikes against owning a lot of guns. But I do make sure I carry something different than most hunters, that has to count for something! Savage 340 chambered in 225 Winchester for groundhogs. 260 Rem for deer. 358 Winchester for deer and hopefully hogs this summer.

Nope Nope and Nope.

As a teacher with a love of guns ,other gun nut parents will fasten themselves to you and will get in on very good deals. You may not start out with a huge gun collection but you are on the start of a very stable career that likely will not be replaced by robots anytime soon. I know many others might have more rifles than I at the age of 51 I think that I am on the right track.

You just have to get your wife interested in rifles and a its a two for one deal. I really don't like MSRs but she does. She owns four ARs and an AR10, plus her wedding rifle(243Winchester), a custom 6.5X55, 1 Ruger 1911, 1 Taurus 44 Mag tracker and 1 SW 642 38 Special that carries around in her purse.

Owning a house means a mortgage but it also means that you can have a safe and eventually a gun room where it is less likely for your guns to be stolen.

I believe that Hanco works for a school district and he could also chime in. My guess is that the only negative you have to deal with as a teacher is working with libtards and I think that there is no saving them.

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/09/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You should have more than 6 30-06 rifles. 5 or 6 AR's, and when your 6.5 creedmoor collection outnumbers all else, you know you are a true loony....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, here's a kind of rifle that is pretty loony--a Sauer drilling with two 16-gauge barrels over a 7x57R rifle barrel.

The 7x57R is the rimmed version of the legendary 7x57 Mauser, and while you can order ammo it's easier to handload, since all you need is standard 7x57 dies, some brass and a different shellholder. The scope is a 1.5-6x Zeiss with a slim-posted German No. 1 reticle, which means you can turn it down to 1.5x and still wingshoot birds if you happen to flush one while hunting big game. (If you're hunting birds, it's a little easier to take off the quick-detachable scope, and if a deer stands up in the pheasant cover, shoot it with the open sights.)

This one's a little lighter than many drillings, 7-1/2 pounds with scope, and 6 pounds 5 ounces with the scope removed.

[Linked Image]

It now seems possible that I am a loony too ;-).

Mine's a Krieghoff, with a dural frame, so it is even a little lighter than yours (6lb even, sans scope). They really can be made up into a trim and handy package, can't they?

Like yours, it is 16/16/7x57, and has a 1.5-6x42 scope (a Nickel, with Nr 4 reticle) on claw mounts. I also have a Hensoldt 6x fitted up for it. I have wingshot birds with the 1.5-6 scope fitted - even shot a bit of trap - and accounted for any number of rabbits, hares, foxes, pigs and deer with it.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (10Glocks, Beagler410, Basher, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,149
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.