Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TV back then was so weird

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn, I figgered he was already dead. Too bad. I remember my cousins singing that song.

He took an arrow in the gut in Yellowstone Kelly!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/10/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watch it. Smile a little, Kind of chuckle at its silly wholesomeness and then think.......who sat down and actually wrote this absolutely stupid crap. Then - who saw\heard it and said " Ahhh- gotta promote this. GENIUS. "

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I last saw him on an episode of "Married with Children". Even that seems like a long time ago.
RIP, Kookie.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
77 Sunset Strip............

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was a little 12 year old 8th grader at Cross Keys High School in Atlanta, in 1963. I discovered to my dismay, there was a "uniform" that most of the boys wore. Madras shirts, Bass Weejun loafers, Gold Cup socks, and above all else, a London Fog jacket, with the collar up.

Bullies accosted me in the hallway one day, slammed me up against the wall, and looked at the tag on my jacket. Hah! It wasn't a London Fog, it was a JC Penneys Fox jacket. They slapped me around a little, I weighed only 108 pounds, and I was the laughing stock of Cross Keys for a day, the word went around that I had a fake London Fog! I mean, it looked just like a London Fog, my Mom couldn't afford an expensive London Fog, so I got, I thought, the next best thing.

And watching this video, I see where that came from, the guy Kookie wore a London Fog, of course with the collar up, in 1959. That's where the boys in Georgia got their fashion ideas.
I wonder if Kookie wore English Leather.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of him.

I guess ya had to be there.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
Never heard of him.

I guess ya had to be there.

Way before your time whippersnapper!
( as we prepare to head for the cracka barrel)

Jez jokin’

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They have Taylor Swift’s new Lover album at Cracker Barrel. My daughter rearranges all them at the Cracker Barrel and covers up the Amy Grant and Ernest Tubb

lol

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get yerself one of them 12” Charleston Chews on the way out 😂

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Get yerself one of them 12” Charleston Chews on the way out 😂

I ain’t got the teef for them anymore you little scofflaw!!!

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was a little 12 year old 8th grader at Cross Keys High School in Atlanta, in 1963. I discovered to my dismay, there was a "uniform" that most of the boys wore. Madras shirts, Bass Weejun loafers, Gold Cup socks, and above all else, a London Fog jacket, with the collar up.

Bullies accosted me in the hallway one day, slammed me up against the wall, and looked at the tag on my jacket. Hah! It wasn't a London Fog, it was a JC Penneys Fox jacket. They slapped me around a little, I weighed only 108 pounds, and I was the laughing stock of Cross Keys for a day, the word went around that I had a fake London Fog! I mean, it looked just like a London Fog, my Mom couldn't afford an expensive London Fog, so I got, I thought, the next best thing.

And watching this video, I see where that came from, the guy Kookie wore a London Fog, of course with the collar up, in 1959. That's where the boys in Georgia got their fashion ideas.

Always has amazed me how much influence Hollywood, the sports industry and the entire entertainment industry as a whole has on setting what's, "in", and what's not, "in", and, "cool" and not "cool", on so many things.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I had a friend growing up who was the most fashion conscious person I've ever seen. He came from a nice family, 5 kids, father was a hard worker, but there wasn't a lot of extra money. So, at age 14 he went to working for an area farmer in the summers, made some good money for the time period............and spent every dollar he made on clothes that the most fashionable men's store in town. Same as you described........Weejuns, London Fog, and all the rest. Never tried to help his family out any.

Today, he lives in the house he grew up in because his sisters felt sorry for him and left it that way for him. He drives a 25 year old truck, is 69, but looks 79, and lives on disability.........because he was a druggie in his younger years, and used enough that it fried his brain. I've thought a lot of times about how hard he worked to impress the "in" crowd, and how different his life might have turned out if he'd worked as hard to make something of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have a some shîtty neighbors

Why not just pack up the microwave, jar of mustard, and 25” Visio and move somewhere else?

It’s that easy right?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It wasn't the boys worrying about fashion, it was their mothers. Yea , we dressed similar to what Simon mentioned until a new guy moved to town. His mother loved Ricky Nelson. Suddenly, dress slacks, sports shirts, and sweaters made the new guy the most popular with the girls. Yea, he always had a comb in his back pocket.

Last edited by websterparish47; 01/10/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I remember the kids carrying the rat-tail combs in their back pocket. All of the boys were walking fire hazards given the petroleum levels in their hair. One guy had an actual leather jacket. The funny thing was, this was in a place where there was no television in the late-50's so the influence must have just come from outside. This was a fairly short lived fad since the whole stylish ensemble fell apart when it was 40 below and everyone was back to wearing layers of wool and moosehide mocassins. By spring, style had moved on and I don't recall anyone caring too much. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I still see 74 year old dudes wearing Member’s Only jackets

Hahahaha

Lookin like weekend at Bernies

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kookie was “the maximum utmost.” He had that going for him.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have Taylor Swift’s new Lover album at Cracker Barrel. My daughter rearranges all them at the Cracker Barrel and covers up the Amy Grant and Ernest Tubb

lol

Ha, when I leave a grocery store all the covers with Michelle Obama seem to have other magazines hiding them .....for some reason.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,496,993
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.