G
laugh You up early Leopard Man ; ]

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Of scope shopping.

Maybe my problem is reading hundreds upon hundreds of reviews, forums, videos..

I think I find a scope that's going to be great, then the next guy says it's [bleep].

But on the subject of the OP....

I find the optics snobs ( gurus?) to be somewhat entertaining....seems like there is an inversely proportional ratio to the amount they spend on scopes and the amount of time they spend actually hunting.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunner500
laugh You up early Leopard Man ; ]

Yeah...can't sleep. Wife says its the product of a troubled mind.

Wife is always right...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I didn't sleep worth a crap last night either, high winds, heavy rain, thunder and blue fire, lovely.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL, I didn't sleep worth a crap last night either, high winds, heavy rain, thunder and blue fire, lovely.

Same here...Keep getting weather alerts on my phone of high winds, more rain and flooding waking me up...Well No Shît! It’s been like this for 2 frick’n days....Couldja lay off the fûck’n alerts! 🖕🏾😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, or little Wives sleep soundly knowing they have watchmen up who are going to die 20 fuggin years early from no sleep looking out after them while they slumber without a care, EVERY FUGGIN night!. crazy laugh

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

This.....
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, or little Wives sleep soundly knowing they have watchmen up who are going to die 20 fuggin years early from no sleep looking out after them while they slumber without a care, EVERY FUGGIN night!. crazy laugh

You met my wife, I see.....I can hear here snoring, I’m meant breathing softly. Lucky Girl!

G5....You have a good morning in The Ok.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10

You met my wife, I see.....I can hear here snoring, I’m meant breathing softly. Lucky Girl!

G5....You have a good morning in The Ok.
😎

LOL, mine purrs too ; ] the song Silent Lucidity has been my life for 30 damn years with this chick, wouldn't change a thing.

Have a great day too Buddy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Geez thunder and lightning? Sounds rough.. I'll trade you for the 1/2" of freezing rain were getting here with 8" of snow on top. I probably wont be looking at scopes much longer here.

You can lead a horse...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Jordan, I think you would be a better shot if you had some consistancy concerning brands and reticles in your scopes. And for cripes sake, man.... Get some accuracy enhancing webbing spray on those 2 boring, battleship gray monstrosities. Also, might I suggest some flip-ups on the bottom abortion of a scope? I'm afraid you'll get all tangled up in those stretchy, bungie thingys. Thank me later.

No need, I’ll thank you right now. I appreciate the advice and your concern. I’ll look into your first couple of suggestions. As far as the stretchy bungies, those lasted for about 5 seconds after mounting the new scope and snapping that pic. They have been replaced with flip-ups to avoid any tangling. What a relief!

Now I just need to sell all my scopes and replace them with Leups, and see if my wife has any netted leggings to use as paint stencils...

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the same dilemma as you last year. On the recommendation of GregW who has the same hunting situation as me I bought the SWFA 3-15 mil/mil. I had never dialed before and never used a mil scope before. All I can say is it works. Yes it could be lighter and yes that honking windage knob sticks out a long way but it works. Also I picked mine up as a demo and it was a buy. Check the demo list on their site.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
As said by others, the SS 3-15x would meet your criteria, as would the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x.

not sow fast on that model of SWFA, the one I just checked had right reticle travel when dialed for elevation, not a ton, but some. don't worry I have it on video. zeiss v4 4-16 is the scope you should check into. The sample I had tracked flawless. it also, has tracked flawless and shot some incredible groups during first round of load development on my blaser R8

How many SS 3-15x scopes have you tested? A sample of one? Nothing personal, cummins, but my confidence in your methodology, testing, and claims is less than awe-inspiring...That aside, every model of scope can occasionally come off the line with some sort of minor manufacturing flaw, regardless of brand. That is why I test every new scope I get for tracking, return-to-zero, etc. I have seen scopes from NF, SWFA, etc, with tracking errors, whether canted reticles or incorrect increment values. I just send scopes back if I find a problem out the gate, and when they return they work correctly. Once any initial errors are corrected, scopes from those brands tend to continue to work correctly for a lot of rounds and a lot of use. That’s the key.

You claim the Zeiss V4 is the scope to look at. How many samples have you tested? How many rounds have you shot using that scope? How much rough handling has it seen? Mechanical integrity and durability (when subjected to continued shooting and use the scope keeps tracking correctly, retains zero, returns to zero, etc) is about as important as correct initial tracking. Lots of scopes track correctly initially, but the pool of brands and models that continue to track and work properly for many, many rounds, and a lot of use, is much smaller, IME. The V4 may be one of them, but the number of samples and the amount of use/shooting on those tested that I’ve seen is a far cry from being able to make any claims about mechanical robustness of the lineup.

I have tested 1 3-15 swfa statically in a testing fixture which is more than you have tested in such a manner, i agree it could be limited to just the scope I had. I also agree my sample of one Zeiss v4 may not be indicative of other scopes, so far I have tested 4 swfa scopes. I am 50% on flawless tracking.

Love hearing the attacks on me by others don’t shoot the messenger, if you want to atttack me, get specific, I can and do change my mind about things. Dispagement just means you got owned and are whining I will post the video once my refund for the scope hits my card. Don’t worry I know you are a 3x9 fan. It tested good.

Am I understanding this correctly? Are your scope reviews and recommendations based on ordering a scope, testing in a fixture, then returning them for a refund? Or do you keep some and put them through lots of field use? I’m not trying to attack you either, but you gotta admit that isn't quite in the same realm of experience compared to people that have actually used multiple examples. Or guys like Formidilosus that uses them and trains people to use them for a living. I agree with Jordan.

Last edited by mod7rem; 01/11/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44

I'd be all over this one if I could find the model that has the 6.5 CM Ballistic reticle.

Mine has the Mcwhorter. Best hold over ret IMHO

Last edited by 338rcm; 01/11/20.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44

I'd be all over this one if I could find the model that has the 6.5 CM Ballistic reticle.

Mine has the Mcwhorter. Best hold over ret IMHO

I'd like one that is a little more in tune with a 6.5.. having holdover marks for 216, 280, 332, etc.. is a little goofy.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I sent Meopta an email to see what load they calibrated that 6.5 reticle to. Hopefully I get an answer.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
30oz is going to bring my rifle up to 9lbs tho..

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
As said by others, the SS 3-15x would meet your criteria, as would the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x.

not sow fast on that model of SWFA, the one I just checked had right reticle travel when dialed for elevation, not a ton, but some. don't worry I have it on video. zeiss v4 4-16 is the scope you should check into. The sample I had tracked flawless. it also, has tracked flawless and shot some incredible groups during first round of load development on my blaser R8

How many SS 3-15x scopes have you tested? A sample of one? Nothing personal, cummins, but my confidence in your methodology, testing, and claims is less than awe-inspiring...That aside, every model of scope can occasionally come off the line with some sort of minor manufacturing flaw, regardless of brand. That is why I test every new scope I get for tracking, return-to-zero, etc. I have seen scopes from NF, SWFA, etc, with tracking errors, whether canted reticles or incorrect increment values. I just send scopes back if I find a problem out the gate, and when they return they work correctly. Once any initial errors are corrected, scopes from those brands tend to continue to work correctly for a lot of rounds and a lot of use. That’s the key.

You claim the Zeiss V4 is the scope to look at. How many samples have you tested? How many rounds have you shot using that scope? How much rough handling has it seen? Mechanical integrity and durability (when subjected to continued shooting and use the scope keeps tracking correctly, retains zero, returns to zero, etc) is about as important as correct initial tracking. Lots of scopes track correctly initially, but the pool of brands and models that continue to track and work properly for many, many rounds, and a lot of use, is much smaller, IME. The V4 may be one of them, but the number of samples and the amount of use/shooting on those tested that I’ve seen is a far cry from being able to make any claims about mechanical robustness of the lineup.

I have tested 1 3-15 swfa statically in a testing fixture which is more than you have tested in such a manner, i agree it could be limited to just the scope I had. I also agree my sample of one Zeiss v4 may not be indicative of other scopes, so far I have tested 4 swfa scopes. I am 50% on flawless tracking.

Love hearing the attacks on me by others don’t shoot the messenger, if you want to atttack me, get specific, I can and do change my mind about things. Dispagement just means you got owned and are whining I will post the video once my refund for the scope hits my card. Don’t worry I know you are a 3x9 fan. It tested good.

Am I understanding this correctly? Are your scope reviews and recommendations based on ordering a scope, testing in a fixture, then returning them for a refund? Or do you keep some and put them through lots of field use? I’m not trying to attack you either, but you gotta admit that isn't quite in the same realm of experience compared to people that have actually used multiple examples. Or guys like Formidilosus that uses them and trains people to use them for a living. I agree with Jordan.

I am just getting started doing scope reviews, scientifically. its funny how people are even questioning that now. I think its pretty darn scientific if I can tell you the exact percentage of tracking error a scope has, within 1% its way more scientific than shooting the scope mounted on a rifle that I guy thinks is a half MOA gun "if they do their part" because it shot 1 1/2MOA group. When the rest of the groups always seem to have a flyer or 2 but if you take those flyers out by golee its another 1/2 MOA gun. As for the C clamps that is also funny when I can hang off the fixture with my entire weight of 225 pounds, AND the scope seems to magically return to zero, that is how you know the scope tracks true. YES I returned the 3-15 SWFA, why because the tracking wasn't up to my standards. you have no idea if yours does or not.

what are the factors that prevent accurate scope assessment by shooting it?
-rifle accuracy.
-the shooter holds the gun slightly different on each shot and this prevents being able to see this because even if the gun was 100% accurate and fired bullets in the same hole, POI would still be different because the shooter
-field and range conditions, wind etc.

are you saying static testing a scope has no value? seriously? why don't you watch how (youtube) nightforce tests their scopes. hint, its not shooting them!!!! OMG a truth dart. lets mock the only guy on this forum that has publicly shown and actually invented his own way not from the group and pack that you simply continue to repeat their drivell. I am not the pack, I am the opposite, I always question conventional wisdom. There are litterly tons of people who test scopes shooting them, in fact everyone does it that way. I do it differently at least initially. why go to the trouble of wasting ammo and time if you can't see what a scope is doing, are the clicks matching? does the reticle match the markings? do I see reticle shift as the scope is dialed? does the amount dialed match what it should be? my methods identify if these things are true.

you only test one thing by shooting a scope, durability. a durable scope that has adjustments that don't match, how good is that? just because I come on here and refuse to spout off about 100k and even 1 million rounds fired with a scope, then show 6.5 creed tikkas with factory barrels on them somehow means I never shoot anything.

keep parroting what the pack says, you will never know the difference. ignorance is bliss. carry on and enjoy your weekend, seriously.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I had the same dilemma as you last year. On the recommendation of GregW who has the same hunting situation as me I bought the SWFA 3-15 mil/mil. I had never dialed before and never used a mil scope before. All I can say is it works. Yes it could be lighter and yes that honking windage knob sticks out a long way but it works. Also I picked mine up as a demo and it was a buy. Check the demo list on their site.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

how do you like the sling on that gun? I love those for certain rigs, although not the lightest option. I wish the guy offered more colors and asked him about it and he says he would but doesn't think it makes sense money wise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used it on a couple of my heavier rigs like my varmint rifle and it works well. Doesn't slip and has enough give without being bouncy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.