Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A couple of weeks ago I posted, on this board and two others , a thread about my interest in items in a 1908 Sears catalog. There were quite a few replies to this thread and we had a good discussion. I did NOT mention this anywhere else on the 'web at all.

Sure enough, this mornings email brought a notice from ebay advertising several vintage Sears catalogs for sale. Makes you wonder how many outfits are watching our every word, the .gov for sure but others also.

[Linked Image]
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Its modern day telemarketing

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every time I browse around on the net looking at stuff I start getting related stuff a couple days later. It is modern marketing at work. I was told how computers track your viewing and it opens you up to stuff that is related to what you were browsing. Amazing how they do that.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Use duckduckgo.com for your searches, at least that cuts out part of the google spy network.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's WORSE than that ... you get ads just by looking at stuff... you don't even have to type in the search

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to 1984

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Its called 'analytics'.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And another step over the line...

My wife routinely carries her phone when she goes to town. She returned an item to the local edition of a national store and then looked at some options for a new electric blanket in the linen/bed ware department, but nothing purchased and no further consultation with any employee. She was home about twenty minutes later. I visited with her about her shopping results and turned on MY computer.

It had an ad for sheets and blankets.

The idea of privacy just went out the window.

Now I'll probably get an ad for window shades.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When ads for tin foil start showing up on your screen is when you should start to worry. Even the logarithms think you're Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Today I was trying to rotate a photo, on my phone, of my caliper measuring a bullet. At the bottom of the screen places, with photos, where I might find calipers came up.

On January 1 I received a text from I don't know who informing me I traveled 14,008 miles in 2019.

We have no privacy.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jnyork
A couple of weeks ago I posted, on this board and two others , a thread about my interest in items in a 1908 Sears catalog. There were quite a few replies to this thread and we had a good discussion. I did NOT mention this anywhere else on the 'web at all.

Sure enough, this mornings email brought a notice from ebay advertising several vintage Sears catalogs for sale. Makes you wonder how many outfits are watching our every word, the .gov for sure but others also.

Just talking about a topic within range of your smart phone will provide ads, recommendations etc of said topic
without physically searching on your phone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fester

Just talking about a topic within range of your smart phone will provide ads, recommendations etc of said topic

Turn off Google.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LouisB
Use duckduckgo.com for your searches, at least that cuts out part of the google spy network.

Yep

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
When ads for tin foil start showing up on your screen is when you should start to worry. Even the logarithms think you're Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs

I start getting them immediately anytime I have ventured into the “Q” thread!!! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use Ghostery.
Works well for me. It is blocking 5 trackers right now on this site.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Happens all the time. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and all I have to do is talk about something and a day later, Bamm... there it is on FaceFugg or some other place as a suggestion or ad.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I get these notices on my phone that such and such a bill is due to be paid in 3 days. How do they know that?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LouisB

^^^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by fester

Turn off Google.

No Google here, never has been. Use Bing. Do not own a smart phone.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/11/20.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.