Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
For Peter to just get his ear was it an excellent shot or did he almost miss completely?

Fortunately what some random minister thinks doesn't matter. There's one on TV that implies I am going to hell because I won't send him $1,000.

If you believe the scriptures, it's Peter, the right hand man of The Son of God, the first Pope, The Rock upon which the church was build. He hit exactly where he aimed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you lonely, naked, sittin in a bean bag eating cheetos?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wait how can you be Buddhist and believe that violation of Jesus’ commands (interpretation thereof aside) will send one to hell?

Leftists can’t even make sense of their nonsense.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BC30cal
antelope_sniper:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that this second Saturday of 2020 finds you well, warm and dry.

Honestly I'm not an excellent Biblical scholar by any definition, but I did honestly study this particular subject a fair bit because the church I was raised in had pacifistic teachings. Perhaps better said the congregation did or that was how I understood it.

It became a sticking point with me and for years it was a wedge between my late father and myself as I rejected a lot of what I'd been taught - in large part because of the inclination towards pacifism.

For instance, the one quote often used was after the aforementioned incident where Peter cuts off the servant's ear - "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword"

If we take that as a stand alone verse, it does seem to indicate we shouldn't "live by the sword" - but... there was the nettlesome interaction with the centurion in Matthew 8:5-13 that always came immediately to my mind.

Here it is:
5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”

7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”

8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

From your posts, I know you to be an educated and erudite individual, so you and I both well know what a centurion was, how he got that job and how he kept it on the Galilean frontier.

He would be a straight up "bad dude" a force to be reckoned with and carried not only a sword, but a dagger as well, right? Both of which he would have used with deadly effect on a number of occasions as they were the tools of his chosen trade.

What struck me was that Christ didn't say to him, "Listen, I'd maybe consider doing this for you if you would quit your job. It's really distasteful and you do way too many nasty things for me to even consider it".

As a kid I pondered that a lot and as an adult have come to the conclusion that for some of us - like the other thread we conversed on - dying by the sword isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we live by the sword, surely we may die by it - but if we're truly servants then this is just a stop over anyway, correct? That and we're all going to die some way at some point in our lives - the end being the final part of the journey here.

Anyway for me, Christ's response to the centurion was a key to rejecting pacifistic doctrine as taught by some churches.

As always, I would never say I'm right - I have faith that I am - but again I'm not trying to convert anyone else to believe the way I do. Many roads to Mecca and all that, right? wink

Thanks for making me think again as I tried to articulate why I've come to believe what I do.

All the best to you once again.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Good evening to you fine sir.

As I've made it abundantly clear in the past, I'm make no claim to being a Christian, but we can derive value from many literary sources without accepting everything offered by a given author or group of authors.

When discussion arms in the Bible, I think you contribution regarding the story of the Centurion adds significant flavor to the discussion.

Sure the Centurion was a man of war, serving the greatest civil authority of the time, the Roman Empire. Regardless, the Centurion didn't allow his government service to interfere with his deeper beliefs. Jesus commanded, "Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.", so in addition to Jesus showing his acceptance of a warrior, this also shows the government employee not permitting "the cult of the emperor", or shall we say "the cult of the government he served" to interfere with his true convictions.

It's a powerful message. Hopefully one not lost on the Preacher/Misters/Priests of Virginia as they minster to their flocks in these trying times.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent book on this topic with its Amazon link pasted below. God, Guns, Guts of Firearm Defense: The Bible View

It is the only source I know of that systematically covers everything the Bible says about weapons and personal defense. Then the author, Sig Swanstrom, a former SWAT team member, has some recommendations on how to prepare to defend yourself and family.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Guns-Guts-Firearm-Defense-ebook/dp/B00CLSV9AO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VKG472VRAY4&keywords=sig+swanstrom&qid=1578791450&s=books&sprefix=sig+swanst%2Caps%2C249&sr=1-1

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
Are you lonely, naked, sittin in a bean bag eating Cheetos?

Just because one is alone does not mean they must be lonely. Can I have some booze with that? What whiskey goes with Cheetos?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I have a question about biblical teachings, the last person I'll ask is a Methodist, or anyone else from a sect that departs from clear doctrine.

Near the end, Jesus told his apostles to sell their coats and buy swords.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw
Wait how can you be Buddhist and believe that violation of Jesus’ commands (interpretation thereof aside) will send one to hell?

Leftists can’t even make sense of their nonsense.

Technically, the First Commandment is "...Thou shall have no other gods before me".

It's common for Buddhist to also participate in another religion, such as the Japanese Shinto/Buddhist.

So long as he hold The Lord God above Buddha, technically, I suppose, he's still in compliance.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/11/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you believe the scriptures, it's Peter, the right hand man of The Son of God, the first Pope, The Rock upon which the church was build. He hit exactly where he aimed.

So infallibility applies to sword play? laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Oh, goodie, we can phuq with the Methodists now.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
So infallibility applies to sword play? laugh

Of course.

That's why Jesus went with his accusers willingly. If he hadn't Peter would of killed them all, so there would of been no trial, no Crucifixion, and no eternal salvation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know how it is these days or where the Methodists get their "ministers" now, bt in the SW in the 60s and 70s most of the ones in rural Methodist churches were former lay people who decided - or were called - to be ministers. Little or no formal training, such as a seminary graduation. In the mid 60s we had one that was a retired California Highway Patrol cop - very good fellow who had decided that he would be a minister in the Methodist system - very little doctrinal background or ministerial training - not a very effective "minister" at the time. Maybe he got better.

Antone know the background of the anti-gun minister in Twin Falls?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Methodists used to be Christians, but not so much anymore.
There are exceptions.
Historically almost all Protestants affirmed the just use of the violent sword in three areas: Just War, Public Justice, immediate self defense to save your life, your family, your neighbor, from murder.

My Methodist scoutmaster was a true regenerate Christian, he had a huge influence on me to believe the gospel. He was also a Marine in Korea. He fought a million screaming chicoms when they crossed over the Yalu river.

Last edited by Robert_White; 01/11/20.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
English, Scottish Huguenot theology of righteous resistance to tyranny via arms, is focused primarily on the first few verses of Romans 13.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yet these meth head methodist ministers accept lezbo's and kweers into the congregation, when the book they claim to believe in and preach from says otherwise, hey, don't forget your checkbook sister muncher. crazy reminds me of people going against what they've believed in, and have preached against their whole lives, but are busy gathering every damn dime they can get their grubby little greedy hands on to buy/build another pot house, or get a field of dope planted, pure hypocritical BS, follow the money!

People are stone ass liars and full of BULLSHlT!

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, Gunner, how do you really feel? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, it's ridiculous Wabigoon.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Are you lonely, naked, sittin in a bean bag eating cheetos?

HaHaHa!!!

Do you feel like giving me a thousand dollars?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Judge not, lest ye be judged.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
A Methodist minister who claims to also be a Buddhist? Why, I'm shocked.

Depends on where he is at the time...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.