Home
I guess he missed Luke 22:36

22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

https://newsradio1310.com/twin-falls-pastor-suggests-gun-owners-are-going-to-hell/

A local Methodist minister suggests you can’t be a Christian and carry a gun. He appears to claim even using a firearm in self-defense isn’t Christ like. Does this mean if you drop dead at the range on Saturday, you’ll wake up in hell on Sunday? I’m reminded his denomination cheers for infanticide and ordains clergy who are openly engaged in homosexual relationships. But a woman who would shoot a rapist as he attacked her would apparently be the aggressor in the eyes of the Lord. Talk about victim shaming!

Read More: Twin Falls Pastor Suggests Gun Owners Are Going to Hell | https://newsradio1310.com/twin-fall...m_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

A friend saw the pastor’s picture in the newspaper and told me the guy resembles mass shooter Jared Loughner.

he same pastor apparently maintains he’s also a Buddhist. Never mind the First Commandment. Democrat Party politics now passes for some Christian denominations.

The fellow’s condemnation of gun owners struck a chord with the Gun Guys on Newsradio 1310, KLIX. Both Forrest Andersen and Todd Eccles are respected members of our community and have been praised by law enforcers and the Twin Falls County Prosecuting Attorney (I’ve witnessed the kind words).

What appears to have triggered the leftists-of-inclusive-faith is a shooting at a Texas church. A team of highly trained members of the congregation responded. The criminal was downed in under 6 seconds and with just one shot. Apparently, the good guy got in the way of the liberal’s narrative. Only a bloodbath of innocents advances their salivating desire for gun-grabbing.
A Methodist minister who claims to also be a Buddhist? Why, I'm shocked.
Hmm...funny. My Methodist pastor carries and wants me to take him deer hunting next fall. We have several chosen members that carry during our service, including me. And not one Methodist church here condones gay lifestyle in any shape, form, or fashion.

I’d be interested in your take as to how my church encourages infanticide.
Well, I guess the good “minister”, missed the portion of scripture where they came for Jesus snd Peter whipped out his sword and lopped off the ear of one of those that came. Jesus didn’t rebuke Peter for carrying a sword. Why did Peter need a sword when he was with Almighty God? Jesus must not have had an issue with it.
No such place!
I thought Methodist ministers were female? With cop haircuts.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

https://newsradio1310.com/twin-falls-pastor-suggests-gun-owners-are-going-to-hell/

A local Methodist minister suggests you can’t be a Christian and carry a gun. He appears to claim even using a firearm in self-defense isn’t Christ like. Does this mean if you drop dead at the range on Saturday, you’ll wake up in hell on Sunday? I’m reminded his denomination cheers for infanticide and ordains clergy who are openly engaged in homosexual relationships. But a woman who would shoot a rapist as he attacked her would apparently be the aggressor in the eyes of the Lord. Talk about victim shaming!

Read More: Twin Falls Pastor Suggests Gun Owners Are Going to Hell | https://newsradio1310.com/twin-fall...m_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

A friend saw the pastor’s picture in the newspaper and told me the guy resembles mass shooter Jared Loughner.

he same pastor apparently maintains he’s also a Buddhist. Never mind the First Commandment. Democrat Party politics now passes for some Christian denominations.

The fellow’s condemnation of gun owners struck a chord with the Gun Guys on Newsradio 1310, KLIX. Both Forrest Andersen and Todd Eccles are respected members of our community and have been praised by law enforcers and the Twin Falls County Prosecuting Attorney (I’ve witnessed the kind words).

What appears to have triggered the leftists-of-inclusive-faith is a shooting at a Texas church. A team of highly trained members of the congregation responded. The criminal was downed in under 6 seconds and with just one shot. Apparently, the good guy got in the way of the liberal’s narrative. Only a bloodbath of innocents advances their salivating desire for gun-grabbing.

Your quote proves him wrong. And if there was any doubt, when Peter drew his sword and hacked off the Temple Guard's ear, Jesus failed to say to Peter, "Peter, you know that carrying a sword is a sin, so why did you do it?" Not only did he not say that, he told him to "Put it up in its sheath." In other words, he commanded Peter to carry his sword. He didn't command him to toss it away, destroy it, or to only keep it in his home.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Around here they are. Or pedo looking men.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Your quote proves him wrong. And if there was any doubt, when Peter drew his sword and hacked off the Temple Guard's ear, Jesus failed to say to Peter, "Peter, you know that carrying a sword is a sin, so why did you do it?" Not only did he not say that, he told him to "put it up in your sheath." In other words, he commanded Peter to carry his sword. He didn't command him to toss it away, destroy it, or only keep it in his home.
Jesus didn't tell Peter to hand it to that cop in the corner.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Jesus didn't tell Peter to hand it to that cop in the corner.

No, he did not. He clearly wanted him to continue carrying it, so we must assume that it had a legitimate function carried in one's sheath, such as providing security against criminals.
When liberalism and Religion meet........

We had one. Hard to attend service, glad she is gone!
Every profession has it's rouges. Those that will not attend church for some flimsy reason should reconsider.
I'm glad all my friends will be there. I'd get pretty lonely.
antelope_sniper:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that this second Saturday of 2020 finds you well, warm and dry.

Honestly I'm not an excellent Biblical scholar by any definition, but I did honestly study this particular subject a fair bit because the church I was raised in had pacifistic teachings. Perhaps better said the congregation did or that was how I understood it.

It became a sticking point with me and for years it was a wedge between my late father and myself as I rejected a lot of what I'd been taught - in large part because of the inclination towards pacifism.

For instance, the one quote often used was after the aforementioned incident where Peter cuts off the servant's ear - "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword"

If we take that as a stand alone verse, it does seem to indicate we shouldn't "live by the sword" - but... there was the nettlesome interaction with the centurion in Matthew 8:5-13 that always came immediately to my mind.

Here it is:
5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”

7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”

8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

From your posts, I know you to be an educated and erudite individual, so you and I both well know what a centurion was, how he got that job and how he kept it on the Galilean frontier.

He would be a straight up "bad dude" a force to be reckoned with and carried not only a sword, but a dagger as well, right? Both of which he would have used with deadly effect on a number of occasions as they were the tools of his chosen trade.

What struck me was that Christ didn't say to him, "Listen, I'd maybe consider doing this for you if you would quit your job. It's really distasteful and you do way too many nasty things for me to even consider it".

As a kid I pondered that a lot and as an adult have come to the conclusion that for some of us - like the other thread we conversed on - dying by the sword isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we live by the sword, surely we may die by it - but if we're truly servants then this is just a stop over anyway, correct? That and we're all going to die some way at some point in our lives - the end being the final part of the journey here.

Anyway for me, Christ's response to the centurion was a key to rejecting pacifistic doctrine as taught by some churches.

As always, I would never say I'm right - I have faith that I am - but again I'm not trying to convert anyone else to believe the way I do. Many roads to Mecca and all that, right? wink

Thanks for making me think again as I tried to articulate why I've come to believe what I do.

All the best to you once again.

Dwayne
It is so simple men, just accept the greatest bargain in the entire history of the world.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Well, I guess the good “minister”, missed the portion of scripture where they came for Jesus snd Peter whipped out his sword and lopped off the ear of one of those that came. Jesus didn’t rebuke Peter for carrying a sword. Why did Peter need a sword when he was with Almighty God? Jesus must not have had an issue with it.

Maybe you missed the part where Jesus touched the man with the missing ear and restored it.
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Well, I guess the good “minister”, missed the portion of scripture where they came for Jesus and Peter whipped out his sword and lopped off the ear of one of those that came. Jesus didn’t rebuke Peter for carrying a sword. Why did Peter need a sword when he was with Almighty God? Jesus must not have had an issue with it.

Maybe you missed the part where Jesus touched the man with the missing ear and restored it.

Do we not also administer medical treatment to enemy combatants after the threat is concluded?
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

No, I didn't miss it. It just wasn’t pertinent to the subject being discussed.
For Peter to just get his ear was it an excellent shot or did he almost miss completely?

Fortunately what some random minister thinks doesn't matter. There's one on TV that implies I am going to hell because I won't send him $1,000.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
For Peter to just get his ear was it an excellent shot or did he almost miss completely?

Fortunately what some random minister thinks doesn't matter. There's one on TV that implies I am going to hell because I won't send him $1,000.

If you believe the scriptures, it's Peter, the right hand man of The Son of God, the first Pope, The Rock upon which the church was build. He hit exactly where he aimed.
Are you lonely, naked, sittin in a bean bag eating cheetos?
Wait how can you be Buddhist and believe that violation of Jesus’ commands (interpretation thereof aside) will send one to hell?

Leftists can’t even make sense of their nonsense.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
antelope_sniper:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that this second Saturday of 2020 finds you well, warm and dry.

Honestly I'm not an excellent Biblical scholar by any definition, but I did honestly study this particular subject a fair bit because the church I was raised in had pacifistic teachings. Perhaps better said the congregation did or that was how I understood it.

It became a sticking point with me and for years it was a wedge between my late father and myself as I rejected a lot of what I'd been taught - in large part because of the inclination towards pacifism.

For instance, the one quote often used was after the aforementioned incident where Peter cuts off the servant's ear - "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword"

If we take that as a stand alone verse, it does seem to indicate we shouldn't "live by the sword" - but... there was the nettlesome interaction with the centurion in Matthew 8:5-13 that always came immediately to my mind.

Here it is:
5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”

8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

From your posts, I know you to be an educated and erudite individual, so you and I both well know what a centurion was, how he got that job and how he kept it on the Galilean frontier.

He would be a straight up "bad dude" a force to be reckoned with and carried not only a sword, but a dagger as well, right? Both of which he would have used with deadly effect on a number of occasions as they were the tools of his chosen trade.

What struck me was that Christ didn't say to him, "Listen, I'd maybe consider doing this for you if you would quit your job. It's really distasteful and you do way too many nasty things for me to even consider it".

As a kid I pondered that a lot and as an adult have come to the conclusion that for some of us - like the other thread we conversed on - dying by the sword isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we live by the sword, surely we may die by it - but if we're truly servants then this is just a stop over anyway, correct? That and we're all going to die some way at some point in our lives - the end being the final part of the journey here.

Anyway for me, Christ's response to the centurion was a key to rejecting pacifistic doctrine as taught by some churches.

As always, I would never say I'm right - I have faith that I am - but again I'm not trying to convert anyone else to believe the way I do. Many roads to Mecca and all that, right? wink

Thanks for making me think again as I tried to articulate why I've come to believe what I do.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Good evening to you fine sir.

As I've made it abundantly clear in the past, I'm make no claim to being a Christian, but we can derive value from many literary sources without accepting everything offered by a given author or group of authors.

When discussion arms in the Bible, I think you contribution regarding the story of the Centurion adds significant flavor to the discussion.

Sure the Centurion was a man of war, serving the greatest civil authority of the time, the Roman Empire. Regardless, the Centurion didn't allow his government service to interfere with his deeper beliefs. Jesus commanded, "Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.", so in addition to Jesus showing his acceptance of a warrior, this also shows the government employee not permitting "the cult of the emperor", or shall we say "the cult of the government he served" to interfere with his true convictions.

It's a powerful message. Hopefully one not lost on the Preacher/Misters/Priests of Virginia as they minster to their flocks in these trying times.
Excellent book on this topic with its Amazon link pasted below. God, Guns, Guts of Firearm Defense: The Bible View

It is the only source I know of that systematically covers everything the Bible says about weapons and personal defense. Then the author, Sig Swanstrom, a former SWAT team member, has some recommendations on how to prepare to defend yourself and family.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Guns-Guts-Firearm-Defense-ebook/dp/B00CLSV9AO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VKG472VRAY4&keywords=sig+swanstrom&qid=1578791450&s=books&sprefix=sig+swanst%2Caps%2C249&sr=1-1

Are you lonely, naked, sittin in a bean bag eating Cheetos?

Just because one is alone does not mean they must be lonely. Can I have some booze with that? What whiskey goes with Cheetos?
When I have a question about biblical teachings, the last person I'll ask is a Methodist, or anyone else from a sect that departs from clear doctrine.

Near the end, Jesus told his apostles to sell their coats and buy swords.
Originally Posted by efw
Wait how can you be Buddhist and believe that violation of Jesus’ commands (interpretation thereof aside) will send one to hell?

Leftists can’t even make sense of their nonsense.

Technically, the First Commandment is "...Thou shall have no other gods before me".

It's common for Buddhist to also participate in another religion, such as the Japanese Shinto/Buddhist.

So long as he hold The Lord God above Buddha, technically, I suppose, he's still in compliance.
If you believe the scriptures, it's Peter, the right hand man of The Son of God, the first Pope, The Rock upon which the church was build. He hit exactly where he aimed.

So infallibility applies to sword play? laugh
Oh, goodie, we can phuq with the Methodists now.
So infallibility applies to sword play? laugh

Of course.

That's why Jesus went with his accusers willingly. If he hadn't Peter would of killed them all, so there would of been no trial, no Crucifixion, and no eternal salvation.
Don't know how it is these days or where the Methodists get their "ministers" now, bt in the SW in the 60s and 70s most of the ones in rural Methodist churches were former lay people who decided - or were called - to be ministers. Little or no formal training, such as a seminary graduation. In the mid 60s we had one that was a retired California Highway Patrol cop - very good fellow who had decided that he would be a minister in the Methodist system - very little doctrinal background or ministerial training - not a very effective "minister" at the time. Maybe he got better.

Antone know the background of the anti-gun minister in Twin Falls?
Methodists used to be Christians, but not so much anymore.
There are exceptions.
Historically almost all Protestants affirmed the just use of the violent sword in three areas: Just War, Public Justice, immediate self defense to save your life, your family, your neighbor, from murder.

My Methodist scoutmaster was a true regenerate Christian, he had a huge influence on me to believe the gospel. He was also a Marine in Korea. He fought a million screaming chicoms when they crossed over the Yalu river.
English, Scottish Huguenot theology of righteous resistance to tyranny via arms, is focused primarily on the first few verses of Romans 13.
Yet these meth head methodist ministers accept lezbo's and kweers into the congregation, when the book they claim to believe in and preach from says otherwise, hey, don't forget your checkbook sister muncher. crazy reminds me of people going against what they've believed in, and have preached against their whole lives, but are busy gathering every damn dime they can get their grubby little greedy hands on to buy/build another pot house, or get a field of dope planted, pure hypocritical BS, follow the money!

People are stone ass liars and full of BULLSHlT!
So, Gunner, how do you really feel? laugh
LOL, it's ridiculous Wabigoon.
Are you lonely, naked, sittin in a bean bag eating cheetos?

HaHaHa!!!

Do you feel like giving me a thousand dollars?
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
A Methodist minister who claims to also be a Buddhist? Why, I'm shocked.

Depends on where he is at the time...
My pastor used to take me hunting. He owned a Cessna 172 and we used to fly to Eastern Washington in it to go pheasant hunting. We’d land on a private airstrip in the middle of a nowhere cornfield and have pheasants flushing all around us when we closed the door to the airplane. It was the most incredible bird hunting I’ve ever done and it made for some great memories.

I view pastors, priests, shaman, etc as mere messengers. They’re mortal men full of sin just like the next guy and don’t carry any supernatural powers like some try to assign to them. Just because some dumb ass says something doesn’t mean it’s true, not unlike the internet. 😉
Well said Ace. The devil wants us all split apart. One more time, accept the Greatest Gift ever. Love Jesus back, start where you are, the Faith will grow.
Oh well,nothing too special about that I suppose....pretty much everyone who believes in heaven and hell beleive they and those who beleive like they do will go to the former, everyone else to the later. I've found its mildly interesting but completely unproductive to bother discussing it much anymore.
We are all free to make our choice, May God Bless us all, and the best to all.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I really don't think we're as free as we'd like to believe
Why do you say that?
antelope_sniper:

Here it is:

Dwayne

The Centurians in the Bible were usually shown in good light. They were never condemed for being professional soldiers, armed and in uniform. They never got kicked out of Starbucks.

They didn't have to rid themselves of their ordinance in order to interact with and be accepted by the Lord..

Libs have a special way of twisting the Scripture to fit their narrative.

The Word says what it means, means what it says.

DF
So much of who we are and what we beleive is a result of how we were raised and taught as children. In this example of religious belief, most people here who are Christian were raised that way or at least grew up in a country where that was the predominant religion. There was very little chance I'd ever be a Buddhist, a Muslim, a Mormon or any other of the various religions, because I didn't really even know about them until long after my religious beliefs were already established. I could never honestly say I looked at all the different beliefs and chose what I was going to follow based on what I found.

Then too there is the bigget question of if you can even choose to believe something. If its something that you don't want to be true, and you also don't find it beleiveable, could you still choose to believe? And down the rabbit hole from there...
I respect your thoughts, As a born again Christion, I am told to spread the Word. The best to you, and once again may God bless you, and loved ones.

Do you regular church folk find it necessary to put up with the horescrap that goes hand in hand with organized religion to get to Heaven? can't a man/woman have a relationship with the big Man and his Daddy without assembly?
I’d rather be on my waverunner thinking about God than sittin in church thinking about my waverunner.

I heard that somewhere

Insert deer stand or bass boat, etc

So say the Catholics but not the Bible.
I’d rather be on my waverunner thinking about God than sittin in church thinking about my waverunner.

I heard that somewhere

Insert deer stand or bass boat, etc

LOL!
Good question Gunner. You did put it squarely to me, fair enough. All I can think is to keep the eye on the "prize'.

Some things in life just ring true like a good bell. Prayer, reading the Book, talking with others that believe, all influence me.

As has been said, "I believe, help my unbelief".
10-4, Thanks for the inspiration Wabigoon.
This being the unofficial chaplain of this forum makes my head hurt. laugh
My lack of educated knowledge aside, this is a good thread. Please keep on.
Yes, for the unwashed masses, me being the most filthy. smile
Hey, we got liebs on here.
Heck, If I'm going to hell, I'm already there....
The story of John Newton is such an inspiration. All that care should look it up, it's worth the trouble.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
As screwed up as the Methodist Church is these days, that's a compliment. BTW I was raised in the Methodist Church, and it went off the deep end years ago.
If you find a church you are more in line with, I'd say go. Mostly, go.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Do you regular church folk find it necessary to put up with the horescrap that goes hand in hand with organized religion to get to Heaven? can't a man/woman have a relationship with the big Man and his Daddy without assembly?

Relationships are all we take out of here, no worldy good, no U-Haul in a funeral procession.

A relationship with the Lord is the key. Thru that relationship,we have relationship with fellow believers and that's the church, not a building or organization.

It's when man wants to control things, (man's natural instinct), that things get messed up.

Selfless humility is a rare commodity.

DF
Well said.
The story of John Newton is such an inspiration. All that care should look it up, it's worth the trouble.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Absolutely a testimony of the Grace of God.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Relationships are all we take out of here, no worldy good, no U-Haul in a funeral procession.

A relationship with the Lord is the key. Thru that relationship,we have relationship with fellow believers and that's the church, not a building or organization.

It's when man wants to control things, (man's natural instinct), that things get messed up.

Selfless humility is a rare commodity.

DF

This, all of Israel will be saved, the church of believers being Israel.
In regards to my heart troubles, my doctor said, the people with symptoms are lucky. The same may apply to the soul.
Good night good folks, I need some sleep.

- "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the
sword shall perish with the sword" ...

- dying by the sword isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we live by the sword, surely we may die by it -

Consider the Norse....
Viking warriors who died bravely would be carried by the Valkyries to Valhalla and be welcomed to the afterlife by
Odin, with whom they would feast every night.

Those that simply died of sickness and old age went to Hel.

IT may not be too late for you to change from christian
to heathen.

.. well know what a centurion was, how he got that job
and how he kept it on the Galilean frontier.

He would be a straight up "bad dude" a force to be reckoned with..

No underating a centurion and his legionaires
, but if not for the badass Fighting ability of non-roman citizen auxiliaries and their substantial numbers
the Empire would never have reached the level it did.
They were largely seen as 'babarians' by the Roman elite,
but were far too proven capable fighters to pass up.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

So say the Catholics but not the Bible.

I'll give you that, but I was responding to Nighthawk, who is Catholic. wink
I suspect that particular "minister" traded his Christianity to become a social justice warrior instead.

And comfortable shoes?
I was raised in the Methodist church (before and after 1968). During Desert Shield I was a Captain in the USAR. Our pastor at a large UMC church holds up a Newsweek and starts spouting off about our soldiers being murderers. Needless to say I'm not Methodist anymore. My middle sister is and tells me about some of her pastor's stupidity and I just tell her to leave because it is a lost cause.

He's still performing in Vegas.
Who found the response entertaining. We follow the Father who has quite a sense of humor, consider all the funny looking people He made. Just Google "people of walmart".
Who found the response entertaining. We follow the Father who has quite a sense of humor, consider all the funny looking people He made. Just Google "people of walmart".

I'm thinking Satan may have had his way with some of them, granted, they were born equal.
10-4, Thanks for the inspiration Wabigoon.

Yep, we all fall short, which includes unbelief, which after time morphs into knowing.
Who found the response entertaining. We follow the Father who has quite a sense of humor....

I dont know about that. I doubt HE was lying when HE said to provide for you and yours or HE didnt know you, being worse than an unbeliever, and when HE said there will be a great gnashing of teeth. A whole lot of people smugly accept HEs referring to those who dont believe that JESUS was the son of GOD.

Those who blithely follow the teachings of men in church and add to or subtract from HIS word may find themselves gnashing teeth.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Who found the response entertaining. We follow the Father who has quite a sense of humor....

I dont know about that. I doubt HE was lying when HE said to provide for you and yours or HE didnt know you, being worse than an unbeliever, and when HE said there will be a great gnashing of teeth. A whole lot of people smugly accept HEs referring to those who dont believe that JESUS was the son of GOD.

Those who blithely follow the teachings of men in church and add to or subtract from HIS word may find themselves gnashing teeth.

Oh lighten up, it's a joke. Christians are supposed to be joyful.
This one might go on a long time. if it makes some think about matters, that's not bad.
This is why the UMC is likely going to split. The rural churches are still pretty much Conservative, and the large urban churches are not. At the UMC church we attended, they had a security team, and I know that on any given Sunday, at least half a dozen men were packing.
Yet the Methodist church is down with abortion. No guns, but it’s ok to kill infants? A bit of a head scratcher there.
And truthful. grin

He was prolly just chittin when HE said, "Call no one ON EARTH father for your father is in heaven...", but I wouldnt bet my life or other lives on it.

How would you like your kids you died for to call other people dad? I also thought HE said to fear HIM, meaning "you better mind my words".

Funny, many moslems grow up knowing (thinking) it's a good thing to kill Jews and their kids. They are so indoctrinated its hard to change their thinking.
football is football. when teams try to make it more than what it is, football becomes clouded.
this is what churches do.
bottom line. the minister is only stating what is a known fact, we all are lost to our own ideas of what football should be.
what we need to do is read the football manual of rules and realize that, unless we play by the rules, and do what the head referee says, we aren't going to make it to the playoffs.
without believing in the seriousness of the penalties being leveled at us by the opposing team, and without receiving a penalty decline by the head ref, instant replay will seal our fate.
anyone in the crowd who has the guts to stand up and warn the others of whats going on down on the field, has my respect.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, comments like that minister's get publicity. It's all about generating outrage to get clicks & views.

The reality is the minster's comments are so ignorant that they are hardly worth commenting on.
Something I read recently seemed to indicate the likelihood of an impending major schism in the UMC over some of these issues.

My wife and I left the UMC over these issues, and returned to the Episcopal Church in quite a conservative diocese.

When we moved here, we found a church that had split from the Episcopal Church and became Anglican because TEC was getting too liberal.

Ask ‘goober.
... can't a man/woman have a relationship with the big Man and his Daddy without assembly?
Short answer - No.

Even if you believe it's possible today, you have to admit that at some time that wasn't at all possible. Period. It doesn't matter what sect you ascribe to.

Read the Bible. Pay attention to how God Himself asks to be worshiped. Very little of what he asked is possible alone.
I’ll deal with it when I get there.
... can't a man/woman have a relationship with the big Man and his Daddy without assembly?
Short answer - No.
Even if you believe it's possible today, you have to admit that at some time that wasn't at all possible. Period. It doesn't matter what sect you ascribe to.
Read the Bible. Pay attention to how God Himself asks to be worshiped. Very little of what he asked is possible alone.
I disagree. Wholeheartedly. And respectfully. Not attending church will not send you to hell, or make God love you any less. Just as someone who does attend church may not have a strong relationship with God, someone certainly may have a strong relationship with God without ever attending church.
In regards to my heart troubles, my doctor said, the people with symptoms are lucky. The same may apply to the soul.

Now, that's something to consider.

If ya don't know you don't know, you're deceived.

Those that know they don't know may have hope.

DF
There's a big difference between having a relationship with God and being saved. Anyone, any where, any time can be saved by simply accepting Christ. Anyone who has done so is going to heaven, no matter what. Having a relationship is a way of life, not a way of salvation. It allows you to have a few of the benefits of salvation here on earth but doesn't affect whether you're actually saved or not. You can live alone in the most remote place on earth for years, totally separated from any Christians, and still be saved. Having a relationship there though, is far more difficult.
Hebrews 10:25. Just sayin.
Originally Posted by Theeck

Yeah.
That’ll show em.
Originally Posted by Theeck

It's can save a lot of trouble if you wear snake boots in the back country.
People are pretty much useless and more so when it comes to salvation... networking is for those seeking salvation in the physical world, church sells that to the masses... only relationship that really matters for spiritual salvation is the Holy Spirit... kinda a one on one guy.

Kent
When HE says, I never knowed ye homie

You’re fücked
I’m just a sinner saved by grace. Undeserving, but I’m God’s child. I was raised a hard Baptist. Got married 40 yrs ago and embraced the Christian Church. I was unchurched for many years. My newness of life has allowed me to find a great, Christ centered church.
My personal walk w My Saviour allows me to see the fallibility of religions vs Christian belief and convictions. We do not allow a pastor or mortal religion to hold sway above our relationship w Christ. All have their belief, I never try to dissuade them. But, if you ask me about my Jesus and faith I will surely pray for and with you. That’s my calling. Gods richest blessings be upon all.
A local Methodist minister suggests you can’t be a Christian and carry a gun.

He's just plain full of $hit
It is possible to be a Buddhist and a Christian. Buddhism basically teaches that after many lifetimes of living and perfecting ourselves, we go to join the great light. We basically become a part of God after we perfect ourselves. There is not another god to be worshipped; it's basically just a different take on heaven and hell. And what could be greater than becoming one with God?

As far as hell, well, the Bible uses the phrase 'wailing and gnashing of teeth' to describe hell many times. Here on earth, where we are, there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.This is different than the lake of fire described in Revelation. So coming back to earth to live yet another life is our hell, for lack of better term, at least until the Final Judgement sorts out what's what.

Even the Bible doesn't dismiss reincarnation as a possibility. In fact, there are at least a few verses in support of it. Jesus described John the Baptist as fulfilling the prophecy of Elijah's return in Matthew 11:11-15. In Matthew 16, Jesus tells his apostles that many of them will still be around. In fact, he says that some of you will not taste death before he returns with his kingdom (Matthew 16:27-28). Obviously, in our sense of death and dying, all of his apostles have indeed tasted death, but Jesus probably has a different definition. Death for Jesus may mean being sent to a more permanent home (like heaven of hell), rather than our conventional usage of death that applies to the body dying. And our definition of death is such because when the body dies, that person as we know them has left the room. But for one that knows that person before they enter the body, while they're in the body, and after they leave that body, death may have a slightly different definition than how we mere mortals define it. Going off that then, it is possible that some of the people living on the earth at this moment were, in a former lifetime, disciples of Jesus.

You’re fücked

I'd say so, bro.

Hebrews 10:25 King James Version (KJV)

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

It's not all horsecrap. By saying it is suggests that God is not sovereign.

Cmon Gunner, we have a quarterly business meeting with pot luck

That marshmallow topped sweet pertaytor casserole alone is worth going to. The old people bitching back and forth over what to do with aunt LuLu’s ugly ass chandelier is the best free entertainment, commercial free too
I will never, no NEVER, leave you or forsake you. - God

Some people have abandoned church and religion once and for all, and have walked away from all churches and all religion. Because they're 'on' to it, they see through it, and consequently they want to have nothing to do with it.
Jesus came to establish something brand new. A new arrangement between God and man. He gave a supreme command, and this supreme command was to be the filter through which we view all other commands. This supreme command was to serve for us as an ethic through which we make all of our decisions. When we're not sure what to do, ask 'what does love require of me...?' When we're not sure what to do, stop and pause and ask the question 'what does love require of me...?' He came to establish a new movement of people that was for all people, all ethnic groups, all nations, all generations, forever and ever. A new movement where love would replace law keeping, where self sacrifice would replace animal sacrifice, where love for God would be demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by love for others. If you're in church and you have something wrong between you and God, but you also have something wrong between you and another person...God can wait. Go and make things right with that other person. This was something unheard of, it was something brand new. And this is what Jesus taught. The only thing that counts is faith (love for God) expressing itself through love (for others). It is the essence of following Jesus. When applied correctly, grace solves just about everything.
"Listen to me and do as I say, or you're going to hell."

Makes sense to me, second oldest profession.
Originally Posted by smokepole

HE wants your money so HE can be rich.

You’re fücked

How about if he says, "I am not in you, you are worse than an unbeliever"?
Originally Posted by smokepole

HE wants your money so HE can be rich.

If you're referring to the Methodist preacher, or Joel Osteen and his ilk, I agree.
Who cares what a Methodist minister says...
Guaranteed he’s right in line for the same because regardless he is not teaching from the Bible.
Especially women ministers with cropped hair.
Originally Posted by antlers

Some people have abandoned church and religion once and for all, and have walked away from all churches and all religion. Because they're 'on' to it, they see through it, and consequently they want to have nothing to do with it.
Jesus came to establish something brand new. A new arrangement between God and man. He gave a supreme command, and this supreme command was to be the filter through which we view all other commands. This supreme command was to serve for us as an ethic through which we make all of our decisions. When we're not sure what to do, ask 'what does love require of me...?' When we're not sure what to do, stop and pause and ask the question 'what does love require of me...?' He came to establish a new movement of people that was for all people, all ethnic groups, all nations, all generations, forever and ever. A new movement where love would replace law keeping, where self sacrifice would replace animal sacrifice, where love for God would be demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by love for others. If you're in church and you have something wrong between you and God, but you also have something wrong between you and another person...God can wait. Go and make things right with that other person. This was something unheard of, it was something brand new. And this is what Jesus taught. The only thing that counts is faith (love for God) expressing itself through love (for others). It is the essence of following Jesus. When applied correctly, grace solves just about everything.
Beautiful, but lacking.

But some forsake God. How do they do this? See below.

Jesus came to establish something brand new. A new arrangement between God and man. He gave a supreme command, and this supreme command was to be the filter through which we view all other commands. This supreme command was to serve for us as an ethic through which we make all of our decisions. When we're not sure what to do, ask 'what does love require of me...?' When we're not sure what to do, stop and pause and ask the question 'what does love require of me...?'
The first great command is to love God with your whole mind, heart and soul. Yes, love is to guide us, but love isn't a feeling. Love is action. We show love by doing things. We show love of God by worshiping Him they way He asked.
Short answer - No.
I disagree. Wholeheartedly. And respectfully. Not attending church will not send you to hell, or make God love you any less. Just as someone who does attend church may not have a strong relationship with God, someone certainly may have a strong relationship with God without ever attending church.
Not attending Church alone will not send you to Hell. It's the attitude of presumption that goes with it that will send you to Hell.

Even Jesus went to church. Read the ENTIRE Bible, get back with me, and we'll discuss what God asked of us. Jesus didn't abolish the law, the law & penalties are still there. But he wants us to follow the law because we love Him, not because it looks good on a resume or because we will be damned (which we still can be).

A lot of people think that doing the minimum to get into Heaven is sufficient. Again, this is gaming God and is the sin of presumption. Remember too that Heaven isn't just one "place" there are many levels of the beatific vision. Just because you are in Heaven, doesn't mean you get a front-row seat. Almost inevitably, aiming for the minimum results in failure.
Part of Pastor Missy's sermon today was, and yes she is a woman, even a "chick, as some will derisively call her, and in my mind, she is more "man", than some here.

"We are not called by God for defeat, or failure."
Part of Pastor Missy's sermon today was, and yes she is a woman, even a "chick, as some will derisively call her, and in my mind, she is more "man", than some here.
LOL! I'm sure "she" is! laugh
Yet these meth head methodist ministers accept lezbo's and kweers into the congregation, when the book they claim to believe in and preach from says otherwise, hey, don't forget your checkbook sister muncher. crazy reminds me of people going against what they've believed in, and have preached against their whole lives, but are busy gathering every damn dime they can get their grubby little greedy hands on to buy/build another pot house, or get a field of dope planted, pure hypocritical BS, follow the money!

People are stone ass liars and full of BULLSHlT!

Pluss 100!

IMO...the worlds biggest hypocrites sit on the first pew of any church!!
Lot's of excuse's to not go to church. One GOOD reason to go.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
LOL! I'm sure "she" is! laugh

Iirc, there was a king of Nazereth, ruler of Israelites who submitted to the verboten instruction and submission to a woman in preference to the LORDS instruction.

I agree, we may not be able to see or understand the LORDS instruction, but by seeing the reaction of my GSP to my instruction to Stay when she is15 feet away and I drop a piece of bacon in her dish at my feet, I'm able to ascertain and train a certain degree of her submission to me.
Plus, when there is no man to do a job. Who among us would refuse first aid from a female doctor when in danger of bleeding to death?
Church isn't special, if no one is there, neither is the Holy Spirit. If I walk into a church I bring the HS with me, when I walk out the HS isn't left at the threshold. If I go to a ball game, drive on the freeway, sit on a mountain, turn my back on humanity... I still have the HS... if I walk in a whore house same thing, HS goes alot of places, people who say they are offended for God are only offended for themselves, God has the thickest skin of anyone considering 8 billion people in one breath praising him and then in another beseeching and another cursing him. Has a lot more patience than me.

Church isn't any different than a ball stadium, when folks are attending, lots of praying and cheering, a percentage of people will have brought the HS with them, the winners will praise God.

Kent
Well, far be it from me to be able to figure all things out, or HIS ways. I expect HE wants us to do as HE says, depending on and trusting HIM, rather than to lean on our own understanding.
There's a big difference between having a relationship with God and being saved. Anyone, any where, any time can be saved by simply accepting Christ. Anyone who has done so is going to heaven, no matter what. Having a relationship is a way of life, not a way of salvation. It allows you to have a few of the benefits of salvation here on earth but doesn't affect whether you're actually saved or not. You can live alone in the most remote place on earth for years, totally separated from any Christians, and still be saved. Having a relationship there though, is far more difficult.
Amen.
Plus, when there is no man to do a job. Who among us would refuse first aid from a female doctor when in danger of bleeding to death?

You should be man enough and step up to preach at your church. What is there 25-30 in your attendance.

Shouldn’t you be at least a deacon or elder there? A long married man to one woman, a wise, senior man of your community, a planter, a pillar?

You evangelize enough on here. Do you at least teach a Sunday School class? Ever fill in on a Wednesday night for you pastor away on a trip?

Do you participate in you choir?

What exactly do you do at your church?

Just asking

I know you won’t answer, being B-type and all.
We show love of God by worshiping Him they way He asked.
Ones love for God is *chiefly* demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by loving others (others whom God loves). Period. When you open the New Testament and ask the question, "What does it look like to be a follower of Jesus...?", it's crystal clear. If you don't 'get' anything else, here's the thing that should describe you, here's the thing that should characterize you 'more than anything else', here's what He said to His closest followers before he left the earth - "By *this* everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." It's not the gold cross hangin' on your neck, it's not goin' to church on Sunday morning, it's not your church bumper sticker, it's not what kind of family you were born into or raised in, it's not that you were baptized, it's not the ‘way’ you worship, and it's certainly not policing other people's behavior. "By *this* everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." The defining characteristic of a follower of Jesus is how they treat other people.
Understanding only comes from the Holy Spirit, few realizes this though it's Christ's life lesson. Christ didn't write a bible or start a church, man did... live in man or live in Christ, whatever...

Kent
I'd just think some people blind, even deaf, and dumb have been saved by Grace.

This was on the wall in the church where my cousin's funeral was held. I thought it was worth a picture. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hey lovey man, I addressed a post to you.
I admit to loving the old hymns, my mother would practice them on the piano at home, she was a substitute if the regular pianist wasn't there.

I listen to old timey bluegrass gospel, my wife shakes her head so I mostly do it when alone, which is often.

Kent
Why would there be? Preaching the gospel of Dr. Feelgood isn't go8ing to compel anyone to waste their time. The fact that most main line religions (including Catholic) are short of proper ministers is a failure to properly teach and lead.
Lest not ye whicheth canst be thy own self, be that whatst shalt noweth nor forever beith false. IMO
Originally Posted by krp
Church isn't special, if no one is there, neither is the Holy Spirit. ....
Church isn't any different than a ball stadium, when folks are attending, lots of praying and cheering, a percentage of people will have brought the HS with them, the winners will praise God.
That is your church, not mine.
Mine has the real presence of God, every bit as much as the Arch of the Covenant of old.
We don't pay well.
Jesus didn't abolish the law, the law & penalties are still there. But he wants us to follow the law...
Paul said that ‘we’ died to the law, meaning that its ability to identify us as sinners and demand our life in payment for our sins was fulfilled through the sacrifice of Jesus. Paul also said that ‘we’ were “released from the Law.” :
“But now we have been released from the law because we have died to that in which we were held so that we might serve in *newness* of the spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter" (Romans 7:6)
For fully devoted followers of Jesus, the law can no longer identify and punish us as sinners. Our obedience now is fulfilled through the *new* life in the Spirit of God. That’s what Paul meant when he wrote in Romans the following :
"For sin shall not rule over you because you are NOT under law, but under grace." (Romans 6:14)
Jesus ‘fulfilled’ it (the law), now it’s over and done with. Jesus also said that ALL of the Law and the Prophets (that’s the ‘entire’ Old Testament) hangs on loving God and loving others. Period.
Ones love for God is *chiefly* demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by loving others (others whom God loves). Period. When you open the New Testament and ask the question, "What does it look like to be a follower of Jesus...?", it's crystal clear.
Like I said earlier, go back and read the *entire* Bible and get back with us. Jesus went to church, Jesus proclaimed he was building a church, Jesus said that not one tittle of the old law was being eliminated.

If it was as you say, why would Jesus have bothered to breath the 1st Great Commandment? He could have just summarized it by saying the 2nd.

Read the whole thing, try again.
Originally Posted by krp
Church isn't special, if no one is there, neither is the Holy Spirit. ....
That is your church, not mine.
Mine has the real presence of God, every bit as much as the Arch of the Covenant of old.

If it burnt down and you moved across the street?

Christ and the HS are about the individual, that is the presence of God.

Kent
Why would there be? Preaching the gospel of Dr. Feelgood isn't go8ing to compel anyone to waste their time. The fact that most main line religions (including Catholic) are short of proper ministers is a failure to properly teach and lead.

Wabi, not saying I always follow HIS instruction. wink

Tyrone, we have been misled by Satans efforts to get between us and our Creator ages ago.

I think we are short of proper ministers as part of the Curse HE said HE would visit on us for disobeying HIS instruction to HIS people as HE informed us in Deut and Ezra for disobeying and bringing in heathen unbelievers into the land of milk and honey HE gave us and allowing them to intermingle with our sons and daughters.
Ones love for God is *chiefly* demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by loving others (others whom God loves). Period. When you open the New Testament and ask the question, "What does it look like to be a follower of Jesus...?", it's crystal clear.
Like I said earlier, go back and read the *entire* Bible and get back with us. Jesus went to church, Jesus proclaimed he was building a church, Jesus said that not one tittle of the old law was being eliminated.

If it was as you say, why would Jesus have bothered to breath the 1st Great Commandment? He could have just summarized it by saying the 2nd.

Read the whole thing, try again.

Do you eat bacon and lobster?
Jesus didn't abolish the law, the law & penalties are still there. But he wants us to follow the law...
Paul said that ‘we’ died to the law, meaning that its ability to identify us as sinners and demand our life in payment for our sins was fulfilled through the sacrifice of Jesus. Paul also said that ‘we’ were “released from the Law.” :
“But now we have been released from the law because we have died to that in which we were held so that we might serve in *newness* of the spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter" (Romans 7:6)
For fully devoted followers of Jesus, the law can no longer identify and punish us as sinners. Our obedience now is fulfilled through the *new* life in the Spirit of God. That’s what Paul meant when he wrote in Romans the following :
"For sin shall not rule over you because you are NOT under law, but under grace." (Romans 6:14)
Jesus ‘fulfilled’ it (the law), now it’s over and done with. Jesus also said that ALL of the Law and the Prophets (that’s the ‘entire’ Old Testament) hangs on loving God and loving others. Period.
Yes, the strict letter of the law can't ID us as sinners, but if we don't follow it because of what is in our heart, then yes, we condemn ourselves. God can read our heart. He knows why/why not we follow His laws.

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Bottom line - We should follow God's laws out of love for Him.
Here you are again, quoting scripture like Satan.

But I give you the benefit of the doubt. Here is a little primer on the various laws. https://padreperegrino.org/2018/04/...YK-Ud0yGsvbmEPqSBZ_3F6lr5MZJdM1bzxSswLG0
I think we are short of proper ministers as part of the Curse HE said HE would visit on us for disobeying HIS instruction to HIS people as HE informed us in Deut and Ezra for disobeying and bringing in heathen unbelievers into the land of milk and honey HE gave us and allowing them to intermingle with our sons and daughters.
I think there is a lot to be said for that.
At Fatima, Our Lady ID'ed it as the errors of Russia.
Like I said earlier, go back and read the *entire* Bible and get back with us. ... If it was as you say, why would Jesus have bothered to breath the 1st Great Commandment? He could have just summarized it by saying the 2nd.
Matthew 22:36-40 English Standard Version (ESV)
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 AND A SECOND IS *LIKE IT*: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend ALL the Law and the Prophets.”
“Like it” means ‘just as important’ or ‘equal to’...it means you can’t have the first without the second. Jesus’ entire ministry on earth, and the books that we collectively call the New Testament, teach this. And He clearly taught that the collective Old Testament books “hang” on this as well. That’s the “*entire* Bible”.

But I give you the benefit of the doubt. Here is a little primer on the various laws. https://padreperegrino.org/2018/04/...YK-Ud0yGsvbmEPqSBZ_3F6lr5MZJdM1bzxSswLG0

That's what I thought. I figures you had your excuses for ignoring the portions of The Law you didn't like.
For those that think some of us haven't read the entire bible, well I have a couple times, when I was young. It's the reading of the 'entire' bible and not just instructional verse that brings an understanding. The bible is often contradictory, there is obviously some God truth and man manipulation.

I used to be a bible warrior, wielding the shield and sword of chapter and verse... until I realized Christ didn't need me flailing about making me and him look like an idiot.

That said I will share a verse I kinda remember, doesn't mean anything except the example of contradiction...

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law

Kent

That's what I thought. I figures you had your excuses for ignoring the portions of The Law you didn't like.

Nope, Tyrone understands the issue and you....perhaps.... don’t. I have responded previously .... to you....on this issue and explained the laws and also explained the covenants and the fulfillment of the law. You are either unable to comprehend or are simply being disingenuous. Maybe you are both, idk.

Anyway, as usual, on the ‘fire, there are those who want to “win the debate” .... be the better debater. There are also those who are interested in discovering what is right and correct.

Certainly on the scale of things, ignoring that is of far less significance than your practice of ignoring them all. Really, are you that dense? For your sake, I hope so. If you are that dense at least you have an excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fine (if small) devotion. Maybe you should follow it and offer it up.
Originally Posted by krp
Exactly. It's like driving at a sane speed, not because there is a law on speed limits, but because you recognize that it's better to drive in a safe manner. Not that you won't get hammered if you get caught driving 40 over.
Originally Posted by poboy
Lest not ye whicheth canst be thy own self, be that whatst shalt noweth nor forever beith false. IMO

Gus, is at u? wink
Originally Posted by krp
Exactly. It's like driving at a sane speed, not because there is a law on speed limits, but because you recognize that it's better to drive in a safe manner. Not that you won't get hammered if you get caught driving 40 over.

This reminds me too, of what freedom is and it's association with sin. The righteous man is the freest man there is. None of the laws apply to them. And I think it's pretty obvious that the righteous don't go around breaking the laws and that the laws still exist. You can take that on a civic level or a spiritual level.

(Of course, no one alive is totally righteous or free. But the more righteous one is, the more free they are.)
Imputed righteousness, by faith... the perfect righteousness of Christ Himself.
Christ is my righteousness and my only righteousness.
Pretty good analogy maybe. I once heard that sometimes the first symptom of heart trouble is sudden death.
Originally Posted by TF49

Nope, Tyrone understands the issue and you....perhaps.... don’t. I have responded previously .... to you....on this issue and explained the laws and also explained the covenants and the fulfillment of the law. You are either unable to comprehend or are simply being disingenuous. Maybe you are both, idk.

Anyway, as usual, on the ‘fire, there are those who want to “win the debate” .... be the better debater. There are also those who are interested in discovering what is right and correct.

Some day Antelope is gonna show up here...
Hey guys, I was on the road to Damascus and suddenly....
I had forgotten I said that. I'll still say it.
Even the Bible doesn't dismiss reincarnation as a possibility.
Yes it does.
Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

When I say relationship, I mean an intimate relationship with the Lord from having been saved.

All else is just knowledge. There are those who know the Bible but don’t know the Author.

Knowledge won’t get you there.

The demons believe and tremble. That’s why atheist are a joke. Talk about being deceived.

DF
Originally Posted by TF49

TF,

I understand it, we just have very different perspectives. IMO it's a large potion of the Christian who are being disingenuous on this particular subject.
Originally Posted by krp

This reminds me too, of what freedom is and it's association with sin. The righteous man is the freest man there is. None of the laws apply to them. And I think it's pretty obvious that the righteous don't go around breaking the laws and that the laws still exist. You can take that on a civic level or a spiritual level.

(Of course, no one alive is totally righteous or free. But the more righteous one is, the more free they are.)

Marcus Aurelius would agree with you, or perhaps more accurately, you are agreeing with him.
I like the Baptist idea better--
Northern Baptist say -- there aint no hell
Southern Baptist say-- The hell there aint
I think the UMC has been poisoned.
Aint the only one either.

Ignore them and go about your life.
And if that means packing a good pistol, so be it.

Christ died for all of us.
But that was the plan from the start.

I think some folks might be actual pacifists.
Most proly sheltered, idealistic idiots......or p*ssies.

Don't care what they do.
They need to stop telling me what to do though.

I was in a lawsuit years ago. The counter suit sued me for a lot of money.

The other side had all kinds of questions, and angles.

My lawyer told me, the other side was trying obsequie the case by getting way off the point.

He said, we need to concentrate on the main issue.

In the case in point, the Devil is the other side. He wants to confuse the "case", as much as he can.

We need to stay on the straight, and narrow.

Jesus loves us, we just need to love Him back.
Marcus Aurelius would agree with you, or perhaps more accurately, you are agreeing with him.
The Greek Stoics were some of the earliest gentile converts. They pretty much had Jesus worked out before Jesus.

Do good works from the heart, worship God like He asks you (Church, the sacraments, etc.).

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/righteousness-done-right
When I told God I bought a 1911

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Oh brother....face it ‘goober, you do not believe the Bible nor does pastor missy for if she/you did then you would believe Paul what he said about women usurping authority over men.
A woman has no right to be a pastor at all.
Since you and she dismisses that part of the Bible that makes you an unbeliever....
I haven’t even gotten to the part where Paul speaks of women cutting their hair or wearing clothing pertaining to a man...
As far as your going to a female doctor analogy....not even in the same class.
Paul was referring to teaching of Jesus.
But being blind you won’t even look it up in the Bible or ask your pastor missy......
Originally Posted by Tom264

Oh brother....face it ‘goober, you do not believe the Bible nor does pastor missy for if she/you did then you would believe Paul what he said about women usurping authority over men.
Since you and she dismisses that part of the Bible that makes you an unbeliever....
I haven’t even gotten to the part where Paul speaks of women cutting their hair or wearing clothing pertaining to a man...
But being blind you won’t even look it up in the Bible or ask your pastor missy......

Except for the part where the Pastoral Epistles were not written by "Paul".
There’s quite a few insightful men on this board.

Iron sharpens iron,
and one man sharpens another. - Proverbs 27:17

Uh yes he did.
1 Timothy 2:12

Uh yes he did.
1 Timothy 2:12

The Pastoral Epistles, 1rd and 2nd Timothy and Titus, were not written by "Paul".
They are forgeries, not written by him.
They were too in fact written by him.

Who do you think wrote them?
Tom is the last person I would listen to when it comes to interpreting the good book............
Irfubar, who do you think wrote them then?

Tom,

They weren't even written in his generation, let alone by him. It's likely they were written well into the second century, if not the latter half of it. You really should widen your studies.
You believe what you want I’ll believe what I know and irfubar ain’t got a clue as to anything.....
They weren't even written in his generation, let alone by him. It's likely they were written well into the second century, if not the latter half of it. You really should widen your studies.
Wrong again. Are you a Jesuit? laugh
https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/epistles-to-timothy-and-titus
Well that poor basturd that came on in another thread and said, 'good thing I'm a druid' is fu-ked in the head a hell of a lot more than any of us. crazy
I was in a lawsuit years ago. The counter suit sued me for a lot of money.

The other side had all kinds of questions, and angles.

My lawyer told me, the other side was trying obsequie the case by getting way off the point.

He said, we need to concentrate on the main issue.

In the case in point, the Devil is the other side. He wants to confuse the "case", as much as he can.

We need to stay on the straight, and narrow.

Jesus loves us, we just need to love Him back.

What did you do Mr Magoo, T-bone someone?
The Testaments were written well. I think I understand the "Bottom Line".
Wrong again. Are you a Jesuit? laugh
https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/epistles-to-timothy-and-titus

No,

But I'm attending a Jesuit University.
If so Logic and Ethics are good Philosophy electives.
All the scholars over all the years the Bible has been cannot agree what most of it says. You guys are truly special being as you are all knowing. I simply don’t know but I try to treat others as I would be treated and if there is a God I hope he sees it. Ed k
All I know is what I need to. Ask if you like.
If so Logic and Ethics are good Philosophy electives.

Did those for my undergrad. This programs includes an Ethics course but it's not an elective. By electives will have titles like Statistical Inference and Predictive Analytics, and Machine learning.
Oh boy, don't get me started on this AI crap. Back bout 1972 the game Hexapawn was touted as an example of a new era in machine learning. Same-o same-o, we just have a lot more processing power and storage space.
Oh boy, don't get me started on this AI crap. Back bout 1972 the game Hexapawn was touted as an example of a new era in machine learning. Same-o same-o, we just have a lot more processing power and storage space.

Yes,

Much of this new "AI Revolution" is just putting more power and easier to use programming languages behind theories and techniques that have been around since the 60's. Some of it is new, but the capabilities are now what the popular press leads people to believe. Regardless "AI" isn't. You still need a person to build the model and interpret the results, and recognize with the results are junk.
I've fallen in love with Python. Gloriously inefficient but a lot more productive than bumming Assembler on a 1 MHz 8 bit MCU with 32k RAM for everything. But my, it was the definition of elegant when you were done. laugh
I've fallen in love with Python. Gloriously inefficient but a lot more productive than bumming Assembler on a 1 MHz 8 bit MCU with 32k RAM for everything. But my, it was the definition of elegant when you were done. laugh

Yes, Python is a wonderful language, but I still have a lot more to learn. At work it's mostly SQL and SSIS, with some R, in class it's R, Python, and Linux, and a smattering of specialized tools so far. Class starts up again Thursday and, according to the syllabus we'll be playing with some NOSQL and Hadoop as well. Should be interesting.
Originally Posted by ERK
All the scholars over all the years the Bible has been cannot agree what most of it says. You guys are truly special being as you are all knowing. I simply don’t know but I try to treat others as I would be treated and if there is a God I hope he sees it. Ed k

Rong. They all agree, Believe Jesus is Christ, declare HIM Gods son, died for our sins, arose on 3rd day, admit you're a sinner, ask forgiveness.
I wonder if this minister was like the one that walked up to me in an airport 30 years ago?

Son, do you know Jesus?
Yes Sir, I've heard of him.
God told me to speak with you today.
No Sir, he did not.............as his head crooked with a puzzled look.
I said, I believe we can talk to him, but we don't rate high enough for him to tell us a DAMN thing.
Wait, Sir, where are you going? what did you want to tell me??

I was thinking straight bullshlt as he melted back into the crowd! crazy
Gun, HIS words are written as an instruction and story for HIS son, you.
Gun, HIS words are written as an instruction and story for HIS son, you.

Yes, but where's the REAL with these mortal messengers Jag?
If you don't have anything targeted don't ignore C++, in particular its subset C. It runs on everything. Being primarily a hardware guy I like making things with embedded microcontrollers - you can design/understand the complete system without making a career out of it. Microchip came out with a free C compiler and IDE which is a lot more fun than Assembler and almost as efficient even without buying the really good optimizer, you can do a lot of optimization in your head if you understand how C will write the Assembler code.

I used to do C++. I like native object code but Python is so easy. By the time I package an app with Python translator and lib files for those without the proper version of Python installed my 10k script has become several megabytes. And runs only on Windows. See http://jongreen.users.venturecomm.net/almanac/Almanac.html (How to turn 93k into 8M
I’m just guessing there are far more non believers in this world than believers. Muslim-buddy-jews- etc. not all scholars believe. Ed k
python errors(left) vs c++ errors (right)

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
I know those guys.
Advantage interpreted. OTOH I can add a print() and mess around until it comes out right - what made Basic great. laugh

And gotos of course.
If you don't have anything targeted don't ignore C++, in particular its subset C. It runs on everything. Being primarily a hardware guy I like making things with embedded microcontrollers - you can design/understand the complete system without making a career out of it. Microchip came out with a free C compiler and IDE which is a lot more fun than Assembler and almost as efficient even without buying the really good optimizer, you can do a lot of optimization in your head if you understand how C will write the Assembler code.

I used to do C++. I like native object code but Python is so easy. By the time I package an app with Python translator and lib files for those without the proper version of Python installed my 10k script has become several megabytes. And runs only on Windows. See http://jongreen.users.venturecomm.net/almanac/Almanac.html (How to turn 93k into 8M

Nighthawk,

I appreciate the advice. We use a little C# is our shop, mostly for kicking off projects created in other languages and some front-end development. I'm intend to stay on the data analytics path, so C++ probably isn't the best option for what I'll be doing, but at some point, I might be able to get some money out of the boss for some C# training.
Even the Bible doesn't dismiss reincarnation as a possibility.
Yes it does.
Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Then take your pick. Either that Bible verse (attributed to the Apostle Paul) is wrong, or Jesus was a liar when he did some of his disciples that they would not taste death before he returned with his new kingdom. (Matthew 24:34 says "Truly I saw to you, this generation will not pass away before these things take place." Matthew 16:28 says "Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom.") Or perhaps what God defines as death is totally different than how we define it, which would make sense given that God knows what happens after we leave our physical bodies.

But if I really want to get on your nerves, I can nitpick the Bible all day.

Lets discuss the last words of Jesus. According to Mark 15:34, Jesus last words were "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46 agrees with this, and in Matthew 27:50, it adds that he then cried out in a loud voice and breathed his last. Luke 23:46 says that his last words were "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. But John 19:30 says that the last words of Jesus were simply "It is finished." There is no way for all of those be literally correct.

We can also examine Mark 16. The earliest manuscripts of Mark 16 end at verse 8, where it describes the women (including Mary Magdalene) who had seen Jesus risen from the dead trembling with fear, and telling not a soul because they were afraid. However, a few verses later (note that these verses did not appear on the earliest manuscripts) have Mary Magdalene then going and telling the disciples who were mourning their master that he had risen. The probability is that one of the people copying down Mark 16 to spread the word found the chapter ending at verse 8 to be unsatisfactory, so he added onto it.

It's possible to be a Christian. It's not possible to take every single verse of the Bible as literal, because it contradicts itself many times.

© 24hourcampfire