Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It is possible to be a Buddhist and a Christian. Buddhism basically teaches that after many lifetimes of living and perfecting ourselves, we go to join the great light. We basically become a part of God after we perfect ourselves. There is not another god to be worshipped; it's basically just a different take on heaven and hell. And what could be greater than becoming one with God?

As far as hell, well, the Bible uses the phrase 'wailing and gnashing of teeth' to describe hell many times. Here on earth, where we are, there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.This is different than the lake of fire described in Revelation. So coming back to earth to live yet another life is our hell, for lack of better term, at least until the Final Judgement sorts out what's what.

Even the Bible doesn't dismiss reincarnation as a possibility. In fact, there are at least a few verses in support of it. Jesus described John the Baptist as fulfilling the prophecy of Elijah's return in Matthew 11:11-15. In Matthew 16, Jesus tells his apostles that many of them will still be around. In fact, he says that some of you will not taste death before he returns with his kingdom (Matthew 16:27-28). Obviously, in our sense of death and dying, all of his apostles have indeed tasted death, but Jesus probably has a different definition. Death for Jesus may mean being sent to a more permanent home (like heaven of hell), rather than our conventional usage of death that applies to the body dying. And our definition of death is such because when the body dies, that person as we know them has left the room. But for one that knows that person before they enter the body, while they're in the body, and after they leave that body, death may have a slightly different definition than how we mere mortals define it. Going off that then, it is possible that some of the people living on the earth at this moment were, in a former lifetime, disciples of Jesus.

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
When HE says, I never knowed ye homie

You’re fücked

I'd say so, bro.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Do you regular church folk find it necessary to put up with the horescrap that goes hand in hand with organized religion to get to Heaven? can't a man/woman have a relationship with the big Man and his Daddy without assembly?

Hebrews 10:25 King James Version (KJV)

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

It's not all horsecrap. By saying it is suggests that God is not sovereign.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cmon Gunner, we have a quarterly business meeting with pot luck

That marshmallow topped sweet pertaytor casserole alone is worth going to. The old people bitching back and forth over what to do with aunt LuLu’s ugly ass chandelier is the best free entertainment, commercial free too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will never, no NEVER, leave you or forsake you. - God

Some people have abandoned church and religion once and for all, and have walked away from all churches and all religion. Because they're 'on' to it, they see through it, and consequently they want to have nothing to do with it.
Jesus came to establish something brand new. A new arrangement between God and man. He gave a supreme command, and this supreme command was to be the filter through which we view all other commands. This supreme command was to serve for us as an ethic through which we make all of our decisions. When we're not sure what to do, ask 'what does love require of me...?' When we're not sure what to do, stop and pause and ask the question 'what does love require of me...?' He came to establish a new movement of people that was for all people, all ethnic groups, all nations, all generations, forever and ever. A new movement where love would replace law keeping, where self sacrifice would replace animal sacrifice, where love for God would be demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by love for others. If you're in church and you have something wrong between you and God, but you also have something wrong between you and another person...God can wait. Go and make things right with that other person. This was something unheard of, it was something brand new. And this is what Jesus taught. The only thing that counts is faith (love for God) expressing itself through love (for others). It is the essence of following Jesus. When applied correctly, grace solves just about everything.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Listen to me and do as I say, or you're going to hell."

Makes sense to me, second oldest profession.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

HE wants your money so HE can be rich.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
When HE says, I never knowed ye homie

You’re fücked

How about if he says, "I am not in you, you are worse than an unbeliever"?

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by smokepole

HE wants your money so HE can be rich.

If you're referring to the Methodist preacher, or Joel Osteen and his ilk, I agree.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Who cares what a Methodist minister says...
Guaranteed he’s right in line for the same because regardless he is not teaching from the Bible.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Especially women ministers with cropped hair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers

Some people have abandoned church and religion once and for all, and have walked away from all churches and all religion. Because they're 'on' to it, they see through it, and consequently they want to have nothing to do with it.
Jesus came to establish something brand new. A new arrangement between God and man. He gave a supreme command, and this supreme command was to be the filter through which we view all other commands. This supreme command was to serve for us as an ethic through which we make all of our decisions. When we're not sure what to do, ask 'what does love require of me...?' When we're not sure what to do, stop and pause and ask the question 'what does love require of me...?' He came to establish a new movement of people that was for all people, all ethnic groups, all nations, all generations, forever and ever. A new movement where love would replace law keeping, where self sacrifice would replace animal sacrifice, where love for God would be demonstrated, illustrated, and authenticated by love for others. If you're in church and you have something wrong between you and God, but you also have something wrong between you and another person...God can wait. Go and make things right with that other person. This was something unheard of, it was something brand new. And this is what Jesus taught. The only thing that counts is faith (love for God) expressing itself through love (for others). It is the essence of following Jesus. When applied correctly, grace solves just about everything.
Beautiful, but lacking.

But some forsake God. How do they do this? See below.

Jesus came to establish something brand new. A new arrangement between God and man. He gave a supreme command, and this supreme command was to be the filter through which we view all other commands. This supreme command was to serve for us as an ethic through which we make all of our decisions. When we're not sure what to do, ask 'what does love require of me...?' When we're not sure what to do, stop and pause and ask the question 'what does love require of me...?'
The first great command is to love God with your whole mind, heart and soul. Yes, love is to guide us, but love isn't a feeling. Love is action. We show love by doing things. We show love of God by worshiping Him they way He asked.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... can't a man/woman have a relationship with the big Man and his Daddy without assembly?
Short answer - No.
Even if you believe it's possible today, you have to admit that at some time that wasn't at all possible. Period. It doesn't matter what sect you ascribe to.
Read the Bible. Pay attention to how God Himself asks to be worshiped. Very little of what he asked is possible alone.
I disagree. Wholeheartedly. And respectfully. Not attending church will not send you to hell, or make God love you any less. Just as someone who does attend church may not have a strong relationship with God, someone certainly may have a strong relationship with God without ever attending church.
Not attending Church alone will not send you to Hell. It's the attitude of presumption that goes with it that will send you to Hell.

Even Jesus went to church. Read the ENTIRE Bible, get back with me, and we'll discuss what God asked of us. Jesus didn't abolish the law, the law & penalties are still there. But he wants us to follow the law because we love Him, not because it looks good on a resume or because we will be damned (which we still can be).

A lot of people think that doing the minimum to get into Heaven is sufficient. Again, this is gaming God and is the sin of presumption. Remember too that Heaven isn't just one "place" there are many levels of the beatific vision. Just because you are in Heaven, doesn't mean you get a front-row seat. Almost inevitably, aiming for the minimum results in failure.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Part of Pastor Missy's sermon today was, and yes she is a woman, even a "chick, as some will derisively call her, and in my mind, she is more "man", than some here.

"We are not called by God for defeat, or failure."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Part of Pastor Missy's sermon today was, and yes she is a woman, even a "chick, as some will derisively call her, and in my mind, she is more "man", than some here.
LOL! I'm sure "she" is! laugh

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yet these meth head methodist ministers accept lezbo's and kweers into the congregation, when the book they claim to believe in and preach from says otherwise, hey, don't forget your checkbook sister muncher. crazy reminds me of people going against what they've believed in, and have preached against their whole lives, but are busy gathering every damn dime they can get their grubby little greedy hands on to buy/build another pot house, or get a field of dope planted, pure hypocritical BS, follow the money!

People are stone ass liars and full of BULLSHlT!

Pluss 100!

IMO...the worlds biggest hypocrites sit on the first pew of any church!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 01/12/20.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lot's of excuse's to not go to church. One GOOD reason to go.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by wabigoon
LOL! I'm sure "she" is! laugh

Iirc, there was a king of Nazereth, ruler of Israelites who submitted to the verboten instruction and submission to a woman in preference to the LORDS instruction.

I agree, we may not be able to see or understand the LORDS instruction, but by seeing the reaction of my GSP to my instruction to Stay when she is15 feet away and I drop a piece of bacon in her dish at my feet, I'm able to ascertain and train a certain degree of her submission to me.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/12/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Plus, when there is no man to do a job. Who among us would refuse first aid from a female doctor when in danger of bleeding to death?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Church isn't special, if no one is there, neither is the Holy Spirit. If I walk into a church I bring the HS with me, when I walk out the HS isn't left at the threshold. If I go to a ball game, drive on the freeway, sit on a mountain, turn my back on humanity... I still have the HS... if I walk in a whore house same thing, HS goes alot of places, people who say they are offended for God are only offended for themselves, God has the thickest skin of anyone considering 8 billion people in one breath praising him and then in another beseeching and another cursing him. Has a lot more patience than me.

Church isn't any different than a ball stadium, when folks are attending, lots of praying and cheering, a percentage of people will have brought the HS with them, the winners will praise God.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 01/12/20.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.