Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
AAAOA Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey all,

I'm new here. Growing up I've spent a good bit of time outdoors between becoming an eagle scout, running cross country, helping my dad and step mom on their little farm, and generally just spending time in the woods. In fact, I've enjoyed it so much I am studying for a degree in wildlife biology.

Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.

I'm really excited, but I have no idea where to start. I have a 30-06 single shot on the way, and I figure at some point I need to get a hunting license and attend a hunters safety course, but other than that I am a bit clueless. Should I hire a guide? Wander around until I figure it out on my own? My father hasn't hunted in a long time and he really only hunted birds, none of my friends are exactly hunters either being that I am in suburban northern Virginia.

How should I go about this? Thanks

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've enjoyed it so much I am studying for a degree in wildlife biology.

At our university in Anchorage; they teach up to 30% of all animals might be gay. What do you think about this, and how could this affect cow bull ratios?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only a gay professor could come up with that one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To quote an advertising slogan from some years ago 'Just Do It'.

Hunt, maybe read a little on questions you might have, but just doing it will get you far. Nothing beats just being out there. You'll figure out what does and doesn't work for you.

Let your DNA take control.

Last edited by ScottBrad; 01/12/20.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear

At our university in Anchorage; they teach up to 30% of all animals might be gay. What do you think about this, and how could this affect cow bull ratios?

ROFL!!

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Well dang.

So that's why them diary cows I've seen out in the pasture trying to hump each other are doing that...................

lesbian dairy cows, who'd have think it?

Geno

PS bulls being bulls, they just want to hump anything. Like dogs.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AAAOA
Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.\

With ordering a .30-06 and in VA it sounds like you want to jump right into the deep water of deer hunting. May I suggest you also pick up a .22 and start (aside from the license/hunter safety, range time etc) by going squirrel hunting? VA has a long season and there are very few things about deer hunting you cannot learn by squirrel hunting.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AAAOA.

I started as an adult too, with little instruction from anyone. Like you, I loved the outdoors. Spend as much time out there as you can, hunting or not. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn what the critters will tell you.

I agree with the Just Do It mentality.

If you can find a friend or mentor, so much the better.

Above all, stay safe.

Geno

PS, don't believe the 6.5 Creedmore crowd, that '06 will work just fine.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Over the last year or so I've really gotten an itch to start hunting. I grew up shooting, but my parents never took me hunting, just a lot of fishing. It seems like a great way to spend more time in the outdoors and become more familiar with the food I eat, hoping back into the food chain if you will.\

With ordering a .30-06 and in VA it sounds like you want to jump right into the deep water of deer hunting. May I suggest you also pick up a .22 and start (aside from the license/hunter safety, range time etc) by going squirrel hunting? VA has a long season and there are very few things about deer hunting you cannot learn by squirrel hunting.

This too ^^^^^^

and squirrel is quite tasty.

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Since you're in Virginia you could start huntin' Democrats first, they should be easy to find. 🤣🤣🤣

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever your targeted quarry, study some YouTube videos on what to do with it after your kill. Be prepared. Knife at a minimum. Baggies, rubber gloves, paracord all come in handy during dressing a deer at times.

Also know your laws on transporting game. Can you quarter it or have to leave whole? Proof of sex? Do you have to re I’ve all brain matter before crossing state lines? Leavea wing on for duck identification. That kind of thing. All easy stuff, but know the answer before your hunt.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad

and squirrel is quite tasty.

Geno

Yep, it is.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Read the regs, license up, try scratching up some mentors, also secure a 22 LR, knife, binos and spotting scope, shoot a lot striving for accuracy, ask permission, and just get out there. Tough in an eastern state with mostly deeded lands, but can be done

If one comes west, some guided experiences might help, but that's an expensive route. You are young, however, and have lots of time. Public land agencies, local wardens, and wildlife agencies can help too.

Several state agencies offer short courses or classes on many aspects of hunting. Often they target kids, but offering to help out with those will still yield the desired experiences and contacts.

Lots of hunting shows out there with helpful hints too, but those folks are mostly sponsored, are promoting products, locations, or guides, and have more success and more trophies available than John Doe.

Chasing things with a camera can be even more challenging and yield the same lessons with a year round season.

With a sincere and polite attitude, one might secure some help here as well. Might need some tough skin and ability to tolerate a bit of abuse though.

If one eventually settles in eastern Oregon, send a PM. Cookie and I will exploit any reason to get out.

Best of luck and see you around,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 01/12/20.

1Minute
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Same as a 12 year old.

Follow your heart.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Whatever your targeted quarry, study some YouTube videos on what to do with it after your kill. Be prepared. Knife at a minimum. Baggies, rubber gloves, paracord all come in handy during dressing a deer at times.

Also know your laws on transporting game. Can you quarter it or have to leave whole? Proof of sex? Do you have to re I’ve all brain matter before crossing state lines? Leavea wing on for duck identification. That kind of thing. All easy stuff, but know the answer before your hunt.

I don't know how I did it without Youtube videos. Amazing we even exist, how guys figured out what hole to but it in is amazing.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
AAAOA.

I started as an adult too, with little instruction from anyone. Like you, I loved the outdoors. Spend as much time out there as you can, hunting or not. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn what the critters will tell you.

I agree with the Just Do It mentality.

If you can find a friend or mentor, so much the better.

Above all, stay safe.

Geno

PS, don't believe the 6.5 Creedmore crowd, that '06 will work just fine.

PSS: Learn how to spell Creedmoor if you are going to become a hunter.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Pugs

Agree with that. My last 3 deer were shot out of hickory trees.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree with just getting out and getting started, you'll learn as you go. Kind of like s labrador retriever saying I'd kind of like to get into fetching a ball. There's thousands of years of instinct in your DNA. You'll figure it out as you go.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My last 3 deer were shot out of hickory trees.

Damn! I've never thought of looking up across all these years. Looking for deer in all the wrong places. No nut trees here, but I know they're fond of apples.

Have a good one.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/12/20.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are there any cats in your neighborhood?

Get good with a pellet rifle or .22, lest you develop a flinch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.