Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've got a couple of 455s. One I bought as the .17hmr and 22lr combo. The .17 barrel shoots good but the .22 not so much. I've contemplated getting a Lilja with the shims to adjust headspace, or I could roll the dice and order another CZ barrel for less money. Does anyone have a Lilja? 440 bucks or thereabouts is alot of coin for a rimfire barrel. Is it worth it? My CZ 452s put the 455 to shame accuracy wise. Wish CZ would have just stuck with that platform.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My first 455 was purchased when they first came out as a .22M. Bought a LR barrel soon after. Neither was a star. Sold everything and bought a 453 LR, which was a good shooter, but that went to finance something else, also now gone. My current 455 SS is a decent shooter with a very nice trigger right out of the box, so it's sticking until it doesn't.

As far as whether the Lilja barrels are worth it, I'd say it depends on what you plan to do with it. Not sure if a .22 that shoots better than say 1/2- 3/4" at 50 yards is of any real advantage for field use. But if you enjoy shooting tiny litle clusters at the range, a fine pastime, then yeah maybe it is worth it. Just keep in mind that even the finest barrels can only do so well with ammo that is inconsistent, so be prepared to pony up for some good stuff, or for the occasional flyers that come with cheap- to moderate-priced ammo. My use of a .22 is largely just for shooting enjoyment and practice, and a bit of hunting, so match ammo and barrels are an excess.

As to how Liljas compare with other options, I can't say, but I'd check around before dropping a bundle.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
In years past, I've been a squirrel hunting fanatic. The last couple not so much due to life getting in the way. I always reach for my 452 American when hitting the squirrel woods.

As for the 455, I tried all sorts of ammo in it from junk bulk pack to Eley. It shot cheap Winchester bulk pack HPs the best of anything, but still over an inch at 50 yds. I put the .17 barrel back on it, but that round is a bit much for squirrels.

Mostly, if I did get a good shooting 22 barrel for the 455, it would be a range gun/paper killer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Lilja makes excellent rimfire barrels, but dunno if the cost would be worth it for your purposes.

I had a 455 with a .22 LR barrel that for very well with good ammo, between 3/4" and 1/2" for 5-shot groups at 50. Last year, however, I bought a 457, which uses the same barrels, and it shot noticeably better so sold the 455. And have owned several other CZ rimfires, including their least expensive .22 LR model. They all shot better than your rifle. which makes me suspect you have one of their rare sub-par barrels. Would bet another CZ barrel would shoot much better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
MD,

I have considered just picking up a stainless CZ barrel and seeing what happens. I don't know if CZ would replace the barrel I have if I complained of its poor accuracy or not. That's another option, and I would probably have to send them the whole rifle.

I have a 452 trainer that I mounted a bushnell elite 6500 on on in talley high rings, and with Eley Target in the yellow box would print one enlarged ragged hole with 5 shots at 50yds over and over (should have kept the targets), but it was ungainly with that big scope on there, and the hog back stock didnt help with cheek weld so it's back to iron sights.

At the cost of a Lilja, I could purchase a 457, not that I need either per say, but as you know not much of anything is rational when it comes to rifles.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The smart money would be to sell the 455 and replace it with either a 452/453 or 457 - you should be able to walk away with only a $100 or so out of pocket versus $440 for the Lilja.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 455 Precision trainer. It’s already and expensive rifle. I’ll let you know how much the Lilja helps when it gets back from a trip to the gunsmith for rebarreling and pillar bedding. The barrel is supposed to be here today according to UPS.

I will be using this barrel for rimfire competitions. Don’t know what you intend with yours but you could just sell it and buy another. If you like the gun there are a few things you could check. These guns are sensitive to bedding screw torque values. Yours may improve if you play with the values either up or down. Just have to experiment. Bedding would probably help it also.

The main thing is, what you expect out of it and what you consider good or even acceptable or unacceptable accuracy. Once you’ve identified that, you have a place to work from or towards.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 01/13/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
The smart money would be to sell the 455 and replace it with either a 452/453 or 457 - you should be able to walk away with only a $100 or so out of pocket versus $440 for the Lilja.

drover

+1 on the 457. Mine is a tack driver in 17HMR and just picked up a stainless .22lr barrel that is an impressive shooter even with High Velocity Hollow Points.

FWIW: Both the 455 Varmint in .22lr and the 455 American in 17HMR were both very accurate and reliable. Adjustable trigger and safety in the right place made it worth selling both and getting the 457. Would do the same again without hesitation.

Last edited by centershot; 01/15/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
My CZ 452s put the 455 to shame accuracy wise. Wish CZ would have just stuck with that platform.

One thing I forgot to mention along the lines with what Muledeer pointed out. The fact that your 455 won’t shoot as well as your 452 doesn’t mean they are all like that or that it is an inherently inaccurate design.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by drover

drover

^^^This^^^.......Good luck....Hb

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.