Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great movie, well done, seldom a boring moment, but I have a question.

Why wouldn’t they just fly over the English lines, and drop the message out of a plane?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Good question. Maybe the air fields were too far away and (maybe) there were no telephone lines to them.

Another question. Why did they have to cross German lines on foot instead of sending a truck by another route?

I thought it was a great movie, but the Germans seemed to be very lousy shots. Too lousy.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Another question. Why did they have to cross German lines on foot instead of sending a truck by another route?"

Human legs were not only more efficient, but more dependable.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Why wouldn’t they just fly over the English lines, and drop the message out of a plane?

Notes from planes could be from anyone, not to mention no GPS.

A Brit is a Brit.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I saw the movie last night. Intense! Good flick.

Remember the bucket full of milk. The milk had not even soured. Who milked that cow?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
During that time dispatch runners with messages were routine (SOP). Telephone lines were cut, usually with artillery fire. Hitler was a messenger/runner and decorated twice (Iron Cross, 1st and 2nd class) for some pretty scary stuff. Not for the faint-hearted.
Bob

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and why didnt all the troops on the trucks not fire at the sniper?

FJB
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KC

I saw the movie last night. Intense! Good flick.

Remember the bucket full of milk. The milk had not even soured. Who milked that cow?

Just saw the movie today. My first thought was "somebody just milked that cow."

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Good question. Maybe the air fields were too far away and (maybe) there were no telephone lines to them.

Another question. Why did they have to cross German lines on foot instead of sending a truck by another route?

I thought it was a great movie, but the Germans seemed to be very lousy shots. Too lousy.

My little brother was really put off by the lousy shooting of the germans. If I found I fresh bucket of milk left after the germans just left I'd assume it was poisoned. Other than a few little issues I really enjoyed the movie.

Would have been a good one to see with my brother if he hadn't had his phone out texting in the theater for 30 minutes. There was any empty seat between us so evidently he didn't hear me telling him to turn off his damn phone.

Between him and the old lady who felt everybody within shouting distance came to hear her thoughts on wound care throughout. Made me realize why I usually wait and go to shows after theyve been out a while at a time when the theaters mostly empty. Seriously people, keep your phones off and save your comments until after the show. Nobody is impressed by your knowledge of wound care and that you shouldn't cut your hand on barbed wire and then stick it in a rotting corpse.

Great movie overall, I just wished I would have seen it alone in a mostly empty theater. I was so looking forward to it that the cell phone and people talking pissed me off more than it normally would.

Bb

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those two were creeping through total carnage, dead smelly horses, then one dead dog..lady in the audience says “ahhhh”.

Women should have never been given the vote.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I plan on seeing it for sure, as I've always been interested in that conflict, as my paternal grandfather was there with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps. Luckily, I'll be able to see it at a 12:50 PM Mon. thru Thu. showing this week. During the afternoon during the week is the only way to go, IMO. See it that way if possible. Mostly empty theater and lots of older retired folks, (like me) who actually just sit there and watch the movie. They also have a reminder before the show to please silence your devices.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Those two were creeping through total carnage, dead smelly horses, then one dead dog..lady in the audience says “ahhhh”.

Women should have never been given the vote.

Saw the movie just today. There was an audible response from the audience when the character ran his hand into the cadaver. "Ahhhhhh!!"
Later, when the character swam into a group of corpses in the river and had to climb over them, no one uttered anything....My thought was that they had never pulled a corpse out of water.

Anyway, a couple of other observations. When the pair of soldiers climbed ladders and went over the top. I caught myself physically stooping in my chair, keeping my head down.

After that, when they were clearing the enemy dugout in the German trenches, I caught myself leaning in my chair, while they were clearing corners and doorways. Old habits, I guess.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I plan on seeing it for sure, as I've always been interested in that conflict, as my paternal grandfather was there with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps. Luckily, I'll be able to see it at a 12:50 PM Mon. thru Thu. showing this week. During the afternoon during the week is the only way to go, IMO. See it that way if possible. Mostly empty theater and lots of older retired folks, (like me) who actually just sit there and watch the movie. They also have a reminder before the show to please silence your devices.

It is really well done,probablly visually the best since saving private Ryan

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just saw it. Pretty good. I had to tell the couple behind me to shut up after they talked thru the first two minutes.
And, yea. Who milked the cow?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Disappointing flick.

They could have done a lot with what they didn't.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Good question, but recall the greatest of them all, the Red Baron himself, was shot down and killed by ground fire when he flew too low over the lines.

Also, unless you can drop that bottle into a trench, someone is gonna have to go over the top to go get it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Good question, but recall the greatest of them all, the Red Baron himself, was shot down and killed by ground fire when he flew too low over the lines.

Also, unless you can drop that bottle into a trench, someone is gonna have to go over the top to go get it.

That's a very nice way of saying that Barkoff asked a really dumb question.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Disappointing flick.

They could have done a lot with what they didn't.

I agree, the filming and the weapons and equipment were great. The storyline was nothing special.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by spencer516
Just saw it. Pretty good. I had to tell the couple behind me to shut up after they talked thru the first two minutes.
And, yea. Who milked the cow?

The people that just left the area.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

It's a human story.

Not a war story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,799
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.