Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Wise99 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hello
I am what you guys probably call a newbie to this site.
Been looking in for a time now.
I have a question, hoping maybe you can answer?
I was at a small show in Northern, Illinois this past weekend,
And a guy there had tons of savage items and ammo.
I have over the years acquired a few 1899's and 99, but now looking into ammo, he had some very nice clean full boxes of 303,300,250 and 22 savage hi-power ammo, all with savage SA marked head stamps on them.
So my 1st question is what would be the average cost of such?
Are they worth more than 35.00 dollars full???
I thought he was asking to much, I�d would of given him 45 for them. He was asking 150.00
He had Some Takedowns on 30-30,a 32-40,and a 32-40 with a saddle ring.

Also interested in a 303 savage rifle he had, I never seen one like it. It had a hole in the bolt area, 3-digit serial number. Side panels where not like an 1899 or 99! The gun itself was very clean, no cracks, had an old Lyman peep site 291a or something like it, he claimed it was a 1895 and was asking 6 grand, I told him the 1895 was an octagon and in 308 calibor, and you could buy them on auction in the box for average cost of 1200 from what I seen.He had told me those where only Comemrative models,I told him no those where the only 1895 savage made. Also did savage make a saddle ring?

I Might Of bought it, if he wasn't pulling my leg, but he told me to get the f out, that I did not know what I was talking about.
Did I make a mistake?
Sam

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First. Welcome!

Second. You might need to change your moniker, Wise 99! wink

The dealer knows what he's talking about when it comes to 1895s!

Remember what you saw: a hole in the bolt

a very low serial number (four digit)

oval side panels (not pointed like 1899s)

That's the original Savage, manufactured by Marlin and definately collectable. A very clean one might go for $6000.- at an auction.

We're all here to learn, again welcome! smile

Last edited by olgrouser; 05/21/07.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I believe your talking about a member here who had the stuff for sale, everything he said was correct you must have annoyed him very much or he wouldn't have said that,sounds like you better hang around pay a little more attention ,theres a lot to learn. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, Sam, you made a mistake. The 1895 that you know of is a poor copy of the original, which it sounds like you where looking at, but I THINK it should have a 4 digit s/n.

Did I just take the bait?? blush

i think we where all typing at the same time!!

Last edited by Grogel_Deluxe; 05/21/07.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
W
Wise99 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
He also had a 303 with a stock that looked like a MANNLICKER SCHOENAUR. Is this a aftermarket stock? I told him i thought it was. He got adimit with me and told me it was a savage musket,,,and supplied to canada.Is this True!
2 other guys told me that it was not an aftermarket,,and i might never see one like it. He must of had 20 different models of savages and ond some real nice remingtons there. It was the first time i had ssen savages at that show, he had probably 30 to 40 people all the time at his table.
Sam

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes, sounds like you dont take directions very well, get a copy of murrays book the 99 and study it , its in a sticky at the top of the page. Don

D
DGF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
OPEN MOUTH, PUT IN BOTH BOOTS FROM THE COW BARN!!!!! eek eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome W99. Sounds like you stepped in a rose bush and came out...... Stuff you describe isn't the usual gun show fare nowadays. Buy the Murray's and study it whistledh

"...the IInd Amendment is not about duck hunting..." Suzanne Hupp
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W99, what you did is akin to walking up to a Winny Mod 70 Collector and telling him that the "69" Model 70 is 10X better than a Pre-64, or telling Elmer Keith the 44 was for puzzies. laugh Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Violator22
W99, what you did is akin to walking up to a Winny Mod 70 Collector and telling him that the "69" Model 70 is 10X better than a Pre-64, or telling Elmer Keith the 44 was for puzzies. laugh Les

Les
This Is what He'd Call A Frekin Mauser-Manlicker Stock!
Steve
[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ROTFLMFAO, He HE

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember fellas, there was a time when all of us had little Savage knowledge. He'll learn just like we all did. HOPEFULLY he won't shout his mouth off at every post and turn into some damn "knowitall". Get the book, Wise, money well spent.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by billy336
Remember fellas, there was a time when all of us had little Savage knowledge. He'll learn just like we all did. HOPEFULLY he won't shout his mouth off at every post and turn into some damn "knowitall". Get the book, Wise, money well spent.

Billy
True Words Spoken. But I still have Little Knowledge,,and Seems Every Corner Something New Pops Out and Twist,and New Knowledge Every Day.
But All I can,,,When I do a Show Again,This Frekin Idiot Better Not Come Near My Table again.
Stever

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stever,the things you see and hear when your out in "Public"

DC Miller
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

It was you? hahahahahahahahaha. That is too rich. smile It is truly a small small world. smile

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

it only goes to prove a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! wink wink wink

We've come across some highly educated "Savage Collectors" buying those "MANNLICKER SCHOENAUR" stocked guns with the short, half fore end "PROTOTYPES".

Those prototype MHGs go for serious money too!!! smile smile smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Steve,

it only goes to prove a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! wink wink wink

We've come across some highly educated "Savage Collectors" buying those "MANNLICKER SCHOENAUR" stocked guns with the short, half fore end "PROTOTYPES".

Those prototype MHGs go for serious money too!!! smile smile smile

Ya Bert
I Have heard Of them,,,But You Not Refering to the Ones that the Guard Had that were Modified in to a More Sporting Like Version are Ya?
If That's the Case,,Elder Had One,,,Mikie(Pizza) bought it I belive,,,Never Seen It yet.
Or am I way off track!
P.S.
Happy Birthday again.
Gonna Have to Nick Name Ya Old-Geezer! grin grin Just for Today mind Ya. wink
So Your Now What?? 29 and Going Down.???? laugh
Stever

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Geez you guys are brutal

Wise 99 - just ignore these guys grumpiness - most of them just need a hug grin

Chad

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
DID YOU REALLY TELL HIM TO GET THE F OUT?That does'nt sound like you.Your one of the nicest people I know.Anyone can be aggravating but this fella kinda takes the cake.Also,did he really tell you the modern 1895 was the only one ever made,even after seeing the collection you had in front of you?Sorry for those that expected me not to post anymore.When there's only one watering hole you bump in to all sorts.Oh,don't worry about it wise99,I've done worse....I think.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dan, Sometimes you were a little irratating but i dont think you were ever that bad . Don smile smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 257robertsimp, 71 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,347
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.