Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

How are you affording to shoot in these matches? Thought you lost your job?

Snowflake, I hear mental disability is easy to get on, pays pretty good too. I am waiting for the country hit Ballad of Deflave Blues. He’s got it all in there, my wife hates me, my kids hate me, I am a social media addict according to my therapist, yadda yadda, the only thing missing is his dog hates him or ran off with his wife in the pick up truck. Bound to be a smash top10 🤣

Swifty
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by deflave
When I lived in Montana I put one on an M&P CORE. I really struggled with getting a sight picture quickly. Same goes for my Buckmark. Matter of fact, I got so sick of other people not being able to shoot my Buckmark with the red dot, I took the damned thing off and never went back.

I had nowhere to compete at the time so understand that these were just range toys and used for hunting. Now that I live in a place that allows me to shoot actual matches I will likely go back. Watch anyone shoot the Carry Optics Division and you'll quickly realize that it's the indian and not the arrow.

My point is, I wouldn't hesitate to carry one daily but be prepared to put some time in. IME, they are not a plug-n-play upgrade.

When flave looses his job it's because he got a better one.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S
When I lived in Montana I put one on an M&P CORE. I really struggled with getting a sight picture quickly. Same goes for my Buckmark. Matter of fact, I got so sick of other people not being able to shoot my Buckmark with the red dot, I took the damned thing off and never went back.

I had nowhere to compete at the time so understand that these were just range toys and used for hunting. Now that I live in a place that allows me to shoot actual matches I will likely go back. Watch anyone shoot the Carry Optics Division and you'll quickly realize that it's the indian and not the arrow.

My point is, I wouldn't hesitate to carry one daily but be prepared to put some time in. IME, they are not a plug-n-play upgrade.

My wife pays all the entry fees.

She just bought me a new Glock today also.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by 79S

Snowflake, I hear mental disability is easy to get on, pays pretty good too. I am waiting for the country hit Ballad of Deflave Blues. He’s got it all in there, my wife hates me, my kids hate me, I am a social media addict according to my therapist, yadda yadda, the only thing missing is his dog hates him or ran off with his wife in the pick up truck. Bound to be a smash top10 🤣

Are you kidding?

My wife and children ADORE me.

My mom likes me too.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

Are you kidding?

My wife and children ADORE me.

My mom likes me too.

Then you are one hell of a fuggin liar. Just another flake looking for adoration and attention. But mainly a fuggin liar that can’t be believed on anything.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14452143/1/addiction-social-media

I am sure there are many new members here that do not know who I am, but perhaps some of the older members remember me.

At one time I was one of the more active members on this chat room, until I realized that I was suffering from addiction to social media. The symptoms were ignored for a long time, but they began to manifest in both my personal and professional (this was before I stopped working) life. My marriage was suffering as was the relationship with my children. Sometimes I felt as though they didn't like spending time with me. But now I know why. It was not me that they couldn't stand, it was The Addiction.

Thankfully I was able to find a help-group that not only identified the problem, but helped me work through it. For that I am eternally grateful.

I know that a lot of good can come from social media but it can also be dangerous to ones mental and physical health.

I cannot help but recognize that a lot of my old cyber-friends may be suffering from this same disease so I felt obligated to return and post this. But please understand that I am not judging. This is only a cautionary tale. Not judgement.

I have come a long ways and the journey continues, so I must post in limited numbers. I will also respond to the old PM's. But please be patient as my therapist advises caution when doing so.

My hope is that I can find a happy medium.

God bless,
Travis

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Don’t shove the gun out in front of you, lift it up to your line of sight. And keep your head upright, don’t tip your head or eyes forward at all.

That is contrary to most quality modern training that is fight/carry oriented, regardless whether the gun has a dot or not. Driving the gun out at chest height is generally accepted as best practice for multiple reasons, and having a red dot on the gun doesn't change that in any way. Competition stuff is a little different, but that detail is driven mostly by range safety rules; that doesn't make it the better way to do it but is what a lot of range competitors are used to. Practice is the key regardless of method; most people simply don't put in enough practice to be proficient. Those who do generally don't complain about issues online so we don't hear from them.

No, it’s not. It’s just contrary to fight/carry training from a decade ago.

I don’t know what you’re talking about with range safety rules, but that’s OK because neither do you. There’s not a range on the planet that would dictate whether the pistol is driven directly out in front of your face or if it’s driven out below your line of sight and then lifted slightly into view.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Don’t shove the gun out in front of you, lift it up to your line of sight. And keep your head upright, don’t tip your head or eyes forward at all.

That is contrary to most quality modern training that is fight/carry oriented, regardless whether the gun has a dot or not. Driving the gun out at chest height is generally accepted as best practice for multiple reasons, and having a red dot on the gun doesn't change that in any way. Competition stuff is a little different, but that detail is driven mostly by range safety rules; that doesn't make it the better way to do it but is what a lot of range competitors are used to. Practice is the key regardless of method; most people simply don't put in enough practice to be proficient. Those who do generally don't complain about issues online so we don't hear from them.

No, it’s not. It’s just contrary to fight/carry training from a decade ago.

I don’t know what you’re talking about with range safety rules, but that’s OK because neither do you. There’s not a range on the planet that would dictate whether the pistol is driven directly out in front of your face or if it’s driven out below your line of sight and then lifted slightly into view.

You've argued a lot with me about red dots on pistols, even before you'd really used them much. Must be nice to just naturally know everything I guess?

I haven't seen any tactical/carry oriented training worth paying for that advocates bowling with a pistol, i.e. the method you described. Driving the gun out on presentation is not out-of-date "training from a decade ago"; if you really believe that, you should seriously question your source of information, because it's junk.

I've attended a bunch of pistol matches where at least some of the stages start from a low ready, meaning aimed at a spot on the ground between you and the target. (Those are stages or matches where they don't want people drawing from a holster, because of range safety rules.) That results in exactly the kind of presentation you suggested, which is fine in that context. It's by no means the only way or the best way to present a red dot pistol.

My point was that while both methods work, either one just requires practice to be proficient with a red dot. My disagreement was to your saying "don't drive the gun out"; there's no reason not to do that, just put in the repetitions same as with any other method.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/11/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Then you are one hell of a fuggin liar. Just another flake looking for adoration and attention. But mainly a fuggin liar that can’t be believed on anything.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14452143/1/addiction-social-media

I am sure there are many new members here that do not know who I am, but perhaps some of the older members remember me.

At one time I was one of the more active members on this chat room, until I realized that I was suffering from addiction to social media. The symptoms were ignored for a long time, but they began to manifest in both my personal and professional (this was before I stopped working) life. My marriage was suffering as was the relationship with my children. Sometimes I felt as though they didn't like spending time with me. But now I know why. It was not me that they couldn't stand, it was The Addiction.

Thankfully I was able to find a help-group that not only identified the problem, but helped me work through it. For that I am eternally grateful.

I know that a lot of good can come from social media but it can also be dangerous to ones mental and physical health.

I cannot help but recognize that a lot of my old cyber-friends may be suffering from this same disease so I felt obligated to return and post this. But please understand that I am not judging. This is only a cautionary tale. Not judgement.

I have come a long ways and the journey continues, so I must post in limited numbers. I will also respond to the old PM's. But please be patient as my therapist advises caution when doing so.

My hope is that I can find a happy medium.

God bless,
Travis

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You've argued a lot with me about red dots on pistols, even before you'd really used them much. Must be nice to just naturally know everything I guess?

I haven't seen any tactical/carry oriented training worth paying for that advocates bowling with a pistol, i.e. the method you described. Driving the gun out on presentation is not out-of-date "training from a decade ago"; if you really believe that, you should seriously question your source of information, because it's junk.

I've attended a bunch of pistol matches where at least some of the stages start from a low ready, meaning aimed at a spot on the ground between you and the target. (Those are stages or matches where they don't want people drawing from a holster, because of range safety rules.) That results in exactly the kind of presentation you suggested, which is fine in that context. It's by no means the only way or the best way to present a red dot pistol.

My point was that while both methods work, either one just requires practice to be proficient with a red dot. My disagreement was to your saying "don't drive the gun out"; there's no reason not to do that, just put in the repetitions same as with any other method.

The low ready?

Do they mandate half helmets and mouth guards as well?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

"It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so."

Ronald Reagan

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I do not, tough enough as is practicing getting your weapon out and ready from differing positions/locations.

Trump Won!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gunner500
I do not, tough enough as is practicing getting your weapon out and ready from differing positions/locations.

Have you tried one?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Trijicon RMR on my 1911 last year and yes, it helps a whole bunch shooting targets. Mine sits on an adapter plate that replaced the dovetail mounted rear sight and I'll admit that in that configuration it takes some getting use to looking for that red dot. I suspect that if you milled the slide and could forward mount the RMR and co-witness the RMR with the rear sight that it would be faster. That said, the question is about a carry pistol and any red dot sight is going to be mounted higher than any open sight and make it that much more of something that could snag on clothing. Defensive carry distances are measured in feet instead of yards and IMO muscle memory and faster draw times trump any accuracy advantage of an optical sight.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Defensive carry distances are measured in feet instead of yards and IMO muscle memory and faster draw times trump any accuracy advantage of an optical sight."

I know guys who shoot irons faster and more accurate than most would think possible. Problem is they shoot red dot sighted guns even faster and are more accurate than irons.

Once they give us reliability and better battery life, red dots will be hard to pass on. And your right about measuring in feet, 36'- 45' is still a long shot for defensive carry distances but it was done in White Settlement, TX... 5.3 seconds from time the gun was seen till a head shot was made with irons, I have to wonder if it could've been faster with a dot? Not to second guess but one has to pick the best tool he can.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With an assailant out at 36 or 45 feet, it is going to occur to an attorney that it has crossed the line from being a defensive justifiable shoot to more of an offensive one. Is my 1911 with the red dot a whole lot more accurate at that distance than I am with my J frame, yep it is, but I'm not an LEO and at 45', I'm headed in the other direction. At hand shaking distance if an armed someone has the drop on me, there is nothing on my person that is worth getting shot over.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
With an assailant out at 36 or 45 feet, it is going to occur to an attorney that it has crossed the line from being a defensive justifiable shoot to more of an offensive one. Is my 1911 with the red dot a whole lot more accurate at that distance than I am with my J frame, yep it is, but I'm not an LEO and at 45', I'm headed in the other direction.

I will respectfully disagree.

"Self defense" and "defense of others" are equally lawful (at least here in my home state of Washington). When a bad guy has a shotgun leveled at your buddy, that is "deadly force" and you are legally free to defend your buddy from any distance.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I and make it that much more of something that could snag on clothing.

It's a non-issue.

Defensive carry distances are measured in feet instead of yards

No they're not. This literally JUST happened. On video. The whole country watched it. And the yards were in the double digits.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With an assailant out at 36 or 45 feet, it is going to occur to an attorney that it has crossed the line from being a defensive justifiable shoot to more of an offensive one. Is my 1911 with the red dot a whole lot more accurate at that distance than I am with my J frame, yep it is, but I'm not an LEO and at 45', I'm headed in the other direction. At hand shaking distance if an armed someone has the drop on me, there is nothing on my person that is worth getting shot over.

You are everything that's wrong with the gun owning community in America.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Must be nice to just naturally know everything I guess?

It's actually an enormous burden.

I haven't seen any tactical/carry oriented training worth paying for that advocates bowling with a pistol, i.e. the method you described.

That's not what I described.

That sounds like a terrible way to spend your free time.

And no, that's not the presentation I described.

With enough repetitions I could just start shooting left handed. "Enough repetitions" is a lazy way to teach people. I just offered a tip that is sound in tactics, efficient in movement, and has been proven to speed up the learning curve for consistently acquiring the dot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Right, a shotgun or handgun can't hurt anybody at 36-45 feet. Seriously, if a hypothetical lawyer's argument is entering into your evaluation at that point, you are wasting time that should be spent doing something else and you are lessening your chances or your buddy's chances of survival.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 01/13/20. Reason: clean up glitches

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.