Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gentlemen:

I'm thinking of having a beast of a barrel turned down to something like a No. 1 or FWT contour. The barrel channel of the stock (B&C Carbelite), however, is for the current contour. I'd need to fill it in order for the gap to not be huge. Any suggestions as to a filler that is also very lightweight? - lightweight being the key.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Get a section of small diameter bicycle tube and stretch it over the entire barrel. Coat it very well with release agent, I use paste wax.

Fill the channel with epoxy. As far as adding weight, there's no free lunch. The filler will add some weight. Adding bubbles will help.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The standard filler is liquid epoxy mixed with phenolic microballoons to a putty consistency. You tape the barrel with plastic tape until you get the thickness you want for the final gap and coat with release agent. Sand the barrel channel to rough up the surface and apply tape to control the final spread of the putty towards the action. Apply a bead of putty down the middle of the channel and seat the barreled action in the stock with the screws tight. The putty should be extruded above the stock top edges along the barrel. Remove the excess when it begins to set, but leave it a little high so it can be sanded level and smooth after the barrel is removed. This filler is very light, easy to sand and takes paint very well.

RAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAN
The standard filler is liquid epoxy mixed with phenolic microballoons to a putty consistency. You tape the barrel with plastic tape until you get the thickness you want for the final gap and coat with release agent. Sand the barrel channel to rough up the surface and apply tape to control the final spread of the putty towards the action. Apply a bead of putty down the middle of the channel and seat the barreled action in the stock with the screws tight. The putty should be extruded above the stock top edges along the barrel. Remove the excess when it begins to set, but leave it a little high so it can be sanded level and smooth after the barrel is removed. This filler is very light, easy to sand and takes paint very well.

RAN

This is what I've done. Be careful with the microballoons. They'll get away from you before you get them mixed up. LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You don't want to accidentally inhale any microballoons either!

[Linked Image]

This 20 mil plumbing tape works good for creating the gap as long as you grease it up good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alternatively light weight auto body filler, see what your local auto parts store have or shop online. "Light weight" is a relative term so be inquisitive.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RevMike
Gentlemen:

I'm thinking of having a beast of a barrel turned down to something like a No. 1 or FWT contour. The barrel channel of the stock (B&C Carbelite), however, is for the current contour. I'd need to fill it in order for the gap to not be huge. Any suggestions as to a filler that is also very lightweight? - lightweight being the key.

Thanks

RM

And what's gonna be the actual weight difference between "very lightweight - lightweight being the key" and not lightweight ? I really think a realty check is order.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The loss of metal from the contour should offset the filler

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Craigster
I really think a realty check is order.

Great idea! 😁 And what do you suggest?

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Craigster
I really think a realty check is order.

Great idea! 😁 And what do you suggest?

RM

Start calculating and get back to us .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Silicone

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Here are the specs I sent to the gunsmith earlier in the week when I asked him about turning down the barrel and lightening things up a bit:

Bare rifle: 7lb 15.7oz
Barreled action: 6lb 1.3oz
Stock: 1lb 14.4 oz

The barrel contour is:
Shank: 1.201"
4" from face: .890"
8" from face: .8295"
12" from face: .7835"
16" from face: .7370"
20" from face: .7185"
24" from face: .6545" (muzzle)

I plan to use an old VX-ii 3-9x40 in Weaver bases/rings since the entire setup weighs a tad under 15 ounces, but that still puts the entire rifle at 9 pounds, sans cartridges and sling - not exactly what I want to be toting in a 7x57. What I hope to do is get things trimmed to the 8 or so pound range (not a fly-weight: I know that isn't possible with a M1909 Argentine Mauser action). That's why I'm looking for a lightweight filler as well as some other things to trim.

Thanks again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it possible to use a lighter stock?

Is it a wood stock or composite?

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you reduce the barrel length to 22" you'll get rid of 3oz (+/-).

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Is it possible to use a lighter stock?

Is it a wood stock or composite?

Right now it's in a B&C Carbelite - about three ounces heavier than a McMillan Edge, according to McMillan's specs. As Craigster mentioned, I could save the difference by simply lopping off a couple inches of barrel. I think I'm going to see what it finishes at with 24 inches, then consider 22 if it doesn't come in close to 8 pounds all up.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ironically the fellow who started that thread is the fellow whose going to be doing the work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have mixed cork saw dust and micro balloons and it worked well. I think it helped to reduce vibration and improved accuracy over the previously floated barrel.

Save some epoxy only to go on the exposed surfaces but after painting the exposed cork was not obvious.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now I've heard of corking a bat but... smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.