Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Several deer, one antelope, and one moose! In my defense.....I drove around 500,00 miles in my Wyoming working career! Working shift work the entire time, lots of twilight driving with a little ice and snow mixed in! Technically, two of the deer hit me! whistle memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/13/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My BIL ran over a cow with his jeep and the cow ended up under the jeep and still alive. But a sheriff finished it off. I knew a guy in FT Hood, TX who ran over a large armadillo. He thought he ran over a tool box from the noise it made when he hit it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I hit plenty of whitetails, in 1980 I moved to rural Sullivan County PA but worked the 3rd shift 50 miles North in Endicott NY, nights I counted upwards of 50 to 60 dart across the road in front of me every night unfortunately I hit at least 6 the winter of 81. Got to know my body man and insurance agent very well. I wife nailed one on the way to her job smashed the front of her brand new Cougar XR7, see was so PO'd she backed up and ran over it two more times smile

Ted
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hit a chipmunk and a rabbit with my Harley Davidson no damage the the motorcycle . but the animals were dead..

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A steer, a deer, and a horse - so far.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 day old new F150 at a little more than 80. 1 Doe went under the truck and 3 came out. A friends mom had a wildlife rehab and one of the fawns actually survived. $2,800 damage to the new truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2017/11...a0eMx75lnxcZA4Z7kJLYIuqzZDdj2DNhNRofy3_o

Minnesota Sheriff Hits Deer At 114 MPH, Dash Cam Catches EVERYTHING
Wes LangelerWes Langeler·LifeVideos
·November 2, 2017

Last edited by stxhunter; 01/14/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
cow moose and the F150 finished in a dead heat. So to speak.

Missed that Wyoming deer tho. Rolled the Duster 360 *, totaling it. I had a sore neck for a few days.

Last edited by las; 01/14/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two Deer one on a dirt road I use to live on at daybreak sliding and almost stopped yet enough to kill her, and another at about 70 MPH on the freeway just west of La Grand Oregon.
I had swerved and would have missed her but she spun around at the last second and I hit her head. I saw her in the side mirror spinning like a top.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hit a Kangaroo a couple of months ago, hopped out of the bush with no warning, straight into my passenger side door.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got two doe in one shot some years back. One on the front right corner and the other managed to stick his head between the cab and bed. ‘Was quite a bad evening for deer and sheet metal.

Just a few months ago whacked a nice buck being chased by an absolute stud. Fugger got up and ran off.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here I am, well on my way to 62, and I've yet to hit a deer.

I've come close-- way too close. The county is crawling with deer, but they all seem to miss.

I once had a rather large buck jump clean over my S10. The kids and I thought we were goners, but he went right over the hood without touching.

I did have one scary event back in 1995. I was on my way out after dark and pulled up to the stop sign at the bottom of my street. Just as I was coming to a stop there was a thunk, and a body came sailing over the hood from the passenger side. I'd hit a jogger, or more precisely, I'd hit him. I got out to see if he was all right, and he was already down the sidewalk. I collected myself and drove on to my destination.

Now comes the crazy part. This happened on Monday. I was sitting in my cubicle at work on Wednesday afternoon when all of a sudden I got a cold sweat and started to shake. The memory had come back. My brain had completely blocked the incident. If you'd asked me on Tuesday, I would not have remembered. It came back in such a way that it made me feel sick. After that, I was fine.

As best as I can tell, the jogger did not see my car as it pulled up to the crosswalk. He hit it full force right at the wheel well and it launched him over the hood. For whatever reason he felt like he needed to be on his way in a hurry. Me? I can't figure out why my brain blocked the incident from my memory. It wasn't all that traumatic.

Go figure.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
1. Outside Nymagee in NSW deep in the Aussie bush, was run off the road by a herd of 'roos. The Ford Falcon Ute swerved into the scrub, across a dry creek bed and the rear axle was torn out with the car beached as it were. Long way from camp and a hundreds of miles from home.

2. Some weeks later upon the return visit to the little town were towing a flatbed trailer to retrieve the damaged car and were around 60 miles from the town when we were again accosted by a herd of 'roos, this time crashing into the back and all around us. When we got to town we found a 'roo in the trailer where he hit so hard, somersaulted into the trailer dead.

3. Driving down an outer suburban Sydney street with some open scrub on 1 side, a horse came out of the bush and slammed into the Ford Falcon Station Wagon hitting front left guard, impacting and crushing and shattering the windscreen and crushing the front of the roof-line. When I left the scene a couple of hours later, the vet was still tending the horse and listening for lung blood, but though he could stitch him up good as new.

4. Indiphukkingana, 2 occasions, doe then a buck. Lots of vehicle damage. Went back to driving a RAM. No more cars for me.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not flattened a deer. Knock on wood!

I do have a Ranch Hand deer guard on both pickups as added insurance though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hit a large 10 point buck driving a 2014 Ford Explorer. It was at night, and I was running 65 MPH, and did not see the deer until a millisecond before I hit it. Every air bag went off, and my wife's leg was cut and bruised when her air bag deployed. I couldn't see a thing, with all the dust that comes out of those bags when they go off that was floating in the air, and also the impact killed the motor. I was able to feel the shoulder of the road and get out of the traffic. Vehicle was totaled, and it only had about 30,000 miles on it. We were very lucky, because it was the exact spot where a car had hit a deer back in the 1970's, and the deer came through the windshield and killed a woman passenger. You better believe that I slow down at night and really watch when I go through there now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I've hit four over the years. As far as I know, two of them for sure walked away, one DRT, and one probable. The probable walked out in a field and stood there and looked at me. The County Sheriff rolled up on me right after I hit it. He tried walking out towards it and it kept moving away from him. Too far for a handgun shot, and he had a shotgun instead of his AR. Pretty sure that one never made it. No serious damage from any of the hits. We had a lady up here have one run across in front of her van on I-35, came through the windshield, and decapitated her.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The deer can. and will hit you.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In my experience, you can go a long time without hitting a deer and once you hit one, it seems like you become a deer magnet after that. I've had 3 run into the side of my trucks and have ran over a few with no damage.

When the kids were small the wife had a mini-van, I took it to work one day and had a big doe come out of the ditch and jump over the van. Just her hind hooves clacked the top side of the roof on her way down. After that the wife hit several deer with that damn van. lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Early morning right before light, wife and I were headed to check out an elk spot in a notorious stretch of highway for hitting elk. Car coming the other direction so I slow down being blinded on my left. 5pt bull running full out came out of the dark so fast I didn't have time to hit my breaks, squared up perfect on my grill, wiped out the front end, accordioned my hood on the windshield. With his momentum only his butt hit the windshield in the far right corner where the wife was sitting.

Came to a stop, truck was nonoperable, didn't see the elk but didn't care right then. DPS officer comes by a few minutes later and starting to get light, asks where the elk was, I didn't know. We go to look, climb over a barbed wire fence and find him 100 yards into the forest, 3 broken legs, dead. Officer says, how did he get over that fence?... F'er was tough that's for sure.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone ever tried to hit a deer?

Many years ago, there was a big buck that was using my farm and the neighbors. This was in the years before trail cameras, and the deer was almost 100% nocturnal. I'd find his tracks on my place, and he was using it at night, then heading back into the neighbors heavy cover. I hunted him a few years, never seeing anything but tracks. One night I was coming home from a second shift at the factory I was working in at the time, and as I topped the hill on the gravel road, the buck was standing in the middle of the road less than a 100 yards in front of me. I was driving a 1979 F-150, 4 speed, with the 300 C.I. six cylinder. I put it in third gear and floored it, determined to run that big SOB down. Instead of leaving the road, the buck was running down it in front of me. I had gotten close enough that I thought I was going to run over him, and was gripping the steering wheel getting ready. That buck left the road, and instead of jumping a 5 strand barbed wire fence, he went through it. I went back and looked the next morning, and there was deer hair all over the ground, and the wire was loose.

As far as I know, that buck died of old age, as no one killed it that I ever heard of. I've thought about how dumb that was to try and run over it, but at the time it seemed like the thing to do. I sure as heck wouldn't try it today with the way trucks are made, with all the plastic on the frontend. That old 79 was all metal, and I wasn't afraid to hit a deer with it like I'd be the 2017 one I drive today.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.