Home
I hit a Shetland pony about ten years ago. I was lucky. He came out in the middle of the freeway, but backed up. I hit his head and neck going 70. It did 1200.00 damage. Dead pony of course.

I hit my first deer two weeks ago in downtown Georgetown, Texas. She came out of the HEB parking lot. I was only going about 30, came out of nowhere. Dead deer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload image online

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Black bear.
K5 Blazer doing 80 mph.
Interstate at night.
Sent it flying.
Drove 40 miles after. Tire was fugged due to misalignment.
Pulled bumper out. Fixed hood. Left dent in fender.
Got aligned, new tire......and drove it five more yrs.
filled my last elk tag with my Ford F-270.
Few deer with no major damage.
Ronnie
Had 6 pt run into side of my jeep one night coming back from bowhunting. Hitch haul folded......sounded like a gong
Ran off. Dunno how bad he screwed up his mug

This is Wisconsin, rare if you haven't pasted a deer........
Hitting deer used to be common here.
Much fewer deer now, we haven't hit one
in 4 or 5 years.
Ill brake but no major avoidance moves.
I can always buy another vehicle......maintain control.

Hunted next to a highway.
Heard some get hit. Heard one car smash embankment..
Guy across road swerved farther down, tree......dead.

Kids principle swerved, hit tree .....died months later.

Told my kids deer come apart. Hit em. Dont hit anything else
Hit a massive buck in 2009 during a sideways Nov blizzard.
Went back to check on the deer and the beast promptly attacked me.

Went round and round tangled together in barbed wire in the ditch until I finally dispensed him with a Leatherman Juice -- that's the model with the 2" blade. Yeah, it was ugly.

Note to self, 'never forget the sidearm again.'
I've killed seven deer; nine if you count the unborn fawns. Most were hit with a 1991 Dodge pickup and repair costs were minimal. 2 were hit with a Hyundai Tuscon and total repair costs amounted to about $12,000. GD
Hit a horse with the side mirror. Shattered the mirror. Horse was nowhere to be seen. Deer with a side mirror. 2 deer with the bumper. One glancing one square. Horse with the mirror was the only one that broke anything. Deer hit square was the only one I saw die.
I hit a big cow horn spike about an hour before daylight driving an Oldsmobile about 15 years ago. I slammed on the brakes and ducked behind the dash. I might have gotten slowed down to 65. He was stretched out. Antler punched a hole in passenger side quarter panel and a hoof got the one on the driver's side. Hood latch broke and hood hit the windshield. I thought it was the deer. I like to never got that bastard in the trunk!
Nailed a 8 point buck one night about 20 years ago.

More recently I found turkeys in Iowa are dumb as a rock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
santa gertrudis onetime.
Ranch Road One , parallels the Perdenalis going by "The Western Whitehouse" , never saw so many ground up whitetails, so concentrated on any other road I've been on.
July 4th last year, 11:50 AM I hit a doe that was on "dead run" coming out of corn field, I was doing 50 mph, $6000 to replace the hood, fender, headlight and bumper. Had to pull the fender off the tire before leaving.
Originally Posted by hanco
I hit a Shetland pony about ten years ago. I was lucky. He came out in the middle of the freeway, but backed up. I hit his head and neck going 70. It did 1200.00 damage. Dead pony of course.

I hit my first deer two weeks ago in downtown Georgetown, Texas. She came out of the HEB parking lot. I was only going about 30, came out of nowhere. Dead deer.

Rammed her, huh?,
!966, 63 SS Chevy.
Originally Posted by broomd
Hit a massive buck in 2009 during a sideways Nov blizzard.
Went back to check on the deer and the beast promptly attacked me.

Went round and round tangled together in barbed wire in the ditch until I finally dispensed him with a Leatherman Juice -- that's the model with the 2" blade. Yeah, it was ugly.

Note to self, 'never forget the sidearm again.'

Got a pic of the mount?, wink
All of mine and my wife’s deer collisions are deer running into the side of our vehicles lol

Their timing is off about a 1/2 second down here. 😃
Originally Posted by wabigoon
!966, 63 SS Chevy.

Rich spoiled boy, huh? wink
Off topic, but I ran over a Rhode Island Red once, it was like hitting a bowling ball. Surprised me, I never expected it to be so solid. lol
that steer i hit made good steaks. hit it in the head with the bumper. deputy sheriff told me i could take it, went and got a come along, boards for a ramp and loaded it up. 900# steer.
Well Doc, in my defense, I'd been working since I was 14. I payed income tax in 1959. wink
Originally Posted by slumlord
Off topic, but I ran over a Rhode Island Red once, it was like hitting a bowling ball. Surprised me, I never expected it to be so solid. lol

i hit a flock of Guineas going 70 once.
Almost go a black HO with my side mirror who was arguing with he boyfriend in the middle of the highway. She never saw me but stepped forward just enough.

Have got several deer. Head shots with the bumper.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nailed a 8 point buck one night about 20 years ago.

More recently I found turkeys in Iowa are dumb as a rock.

Turkeys are dumb as rock everywhere when it comes to vehicles, they are not car smart at all.
About 20 years ago my wife and I were driving home from Wally World on Christmas Eve on a relatively busy four land street with center turn lane. I was in the left lane and saw a flash of white in the right headlights and WHAM...a doe hit the right passenger door. In the rear view mirror I saw the doe tumble off the right side of the road, then get up and continue across the road, right to left.

The doe hit the passenger door hard enough to cave it in, bruise my wife’s arm and do $1400 worth of damage.
I worked with a guy fron Red Lodge 45 miles away, and during the years he drove to Columbus and back, he hit 23 Deer and one Elk.
Needless to say, he drove "junkers" and if they weren't at first they became "junkers!
Good guy, but kind of a dumb ass!
Oh, geez, several deer, and a steer that totaled the Tacoma last month. But most notable was a herd of 7 black tails inside the city limit of Eagle Lake, OR, that ran into the side of my truck from the front bumper to the back of the cab and bounced off. bumpety-bump-bump-bump. I was doing less than 25 mph, and a whole herd of deer...... Dangedest thing. Still had the dents in the truck when the steer totaled it, too.
Two weeks ago, truck has 311,000 miles so only carry PL/PD insurance. Gonna live with the damage. Guy driving opposite direction saw whole thing. He asked if I saw the big buck that was chasing it, unfortunately only thing I saw was the does head going into the headlight.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I hit a black horse head on running toward me on a dark highway while I was driving my wife’s Camry years ago. It killed the horse and totaled the car. Luckily I was warned by an on coming vehicle that was flashing his lights. I slowed to around 15-20 mph but could not see it since it was solid black. The horse crushed the windshield, hood and left teeth marks in the top of the car.
Wow, I was driving the wife's camry and missed a dark horse by less that a foot one night, the car behind me nailed it, totaled car, killed horse.

Hit a cow once with a fire truck, smashed the left front fender and the cow disapeared into the brush, actually looked for it later after taking care of the car wreck we were going to. There were several in the road, missed all but 1.
Friend of mine was in a band traveling home from out of town and hit a horse so hard it was decapitated. Cops came and horse owner came to scene. Horse lady cried and screamed Buttercup, Buttercup whahhh. Next day band leader got a call from insurance co. and was asked what was name of horse that lost it's head. Band leader said "Buttercup", insurance person said she's claiming it was another horse with big policy payout.

The next time they reformed the band they named it Horsehead and the rest is history.
I hit a moose about two years ago. It will happen if you live in Alaska long enough. I was in a Rav4 and it was a calf following its mother. We are taught to aim at its assend to try to miss. 99% you miss but this time I didn't. Somehow it didn't total and it cost more than 8000.00 for the insurance company but we still drive it today.

Nicked one once, and it bent my steel bumper around like it was plastic... I had to pull it away from the tire to drive home.. wow.
About 10 years ago, when my anger issues were much less constrained, I intentionally, and with malice, hit a Camry in my dodge pickup. A lot more satisfying than any deer I've hit.
I’ve been extremely lucky. Despite over 38 years driving in rural PA, I’ve only hit two. Both were fawns following a doe across the road. She made it, they didn’t. I was driving a Freightliner, never even found a hair, but it made a big greasy spot on the road.
I run those deer whistles, and I drive accordingly after dark. If you use your melon and watch out, 75% of deer collisions can be avoided. There are those that will jump the guardrail in front of you for no reason, but like I said, I’m careful and I’m lucky (so far).
A buddy of mine wasn’t though. He hit an adolescent buffalo (around 8 or 900 pounds worth), with his new F-150. He wasn’t hurt, but the buff and the truck were both dead at the scene. The buff hopped the fence at a farm. On a dark night, Buffalo blend in real well. He never saw it till it was a few feet from the grill.
Funny thing about it, it was after midnight, AM of 6 June, and the were 6666 miles on his brand new truck! eek
I’ve seen Several vehicles after collisions with beeves or horses. Luckily no body I knew was hurt bad or killed, but the vehicles are toast.
7mm
5 white tails and counting.

One caved my fender in while I was stopped at a stop sign.
Yes.

Lots of deer.

Beef cow.

Extreme close calls with black bears, elk and 1 wolf.
I live 6 miles from the road killed deer capital of the world Crane Montana. I was driving through there one night and took out three white tails at once. No damage to pickup, thank God for grill guards.
My sister's best friend was driving a minivan with her mom, dad, and her two young children. She hit a doe that came through the windshield and killed her. That family was devastated in an instant.
Totaled out my grandfather's pickup on a black cow.

Also killed millions of deer.

I once hit one so hard that his horns popped off. Straight up into the air.

Only left a grease mark on the Ranch Hand bumper.

High speed road race one morning at 0200 hours to get to 4B's for a chicken fried steak. I got around him....pretty easy.

Speeds over 100.

Nailed a deer.

Had to slow down after that because I couldn't see well over the buckled hood. I still won though. They all had to stop and wash the deer particulate matter off their windshields.

I guess beer will wash the blood and guts off the glass pretty well.
Hit a big buck way up on the Taconic Parkway in my Monte Carlo ss,messed up my baby but good.then hit a big doe in my brand new Ford explorer,I can t believe,the air bags didn t go off, over 3 grand in damage.
Buddy of mine put a tall steel bumper on the front of his pickup. He said if he hit the brakes at the same time he hit the deer broadsided there usually wasn't too much meat damage. grin
Minus 30C driving on an icy highway and a herd of deer started to cross slipping as they went. I was able to slow down almost to a stop and one doe that went to the left ditch tried to come back across. Passenger corner of the grill caught her head and snapped the next. I was going so slow I stopped right where I hit her. Minus 30 the plastic front grill on the 2008 Chev just shattered into pieces. Called Fish and Wildlife and asked about keeping the deer --- we can get a found dead tag and they said no drag it to the ditch as it was in a CWD zone and they would pick it up for disposal.
My Frontier replacement bumper killed a bigger buck than I did last year. Didn’t even scratch the paint.
Originally Posted by hanco

I hit a cow about midnight. 70 mph makes for quite a thump. And a new ride.
Evening, only 2 deer, Chevy nova (total write off) 69 Chevy 1/2ton (rad grill) 4 turkeys no damage except last one cost me a hood for the matrix. Worked afternoons at Napoleon BBQ, picked up 6 or 7 deer on the way home one summer, only had to through out one because of damage. Used it for coyote bait & shot a couple of yotes off it. I had so much deer meat & pepperets I was giving it away. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦
Only ever hit one deer. Killed her and cost $6300 to fix the car. Never saw her coming. I ws only doing maybe 40, she was at least that fast, cleared the bypass lane, cleared the shoulder and made it to the middle of the ditch. Broke her neck when I hit her. Many, many close calls most with deer, but also bear and Moose.
My two most memorable animal vs. Car accidents in my 28 year emergency medicine career. A woman who took a wild turkey to the chest that came through her windshield at about 75mph. She had massive head, neck, chest trauma. Saw her at a "reunion" deal the hospital did a year later, doing well.
Second was a guy in a ford explorer who hit a massive domestic pig. We had to cut him out of the car and flew him to a trauma center. The pig was walking around the yard with a big bruise on it's side. That pig was a "yard pig" that just hunt out around the farm house for years. Had to be around 500 pounds.
I hit a deer dead center of the grill with my 83 Subaru. The grill caved in, the hood latch let go and the hood popped open so I couldn't see. I was going about 55 around a curve and realized I was on the wrong side of the road so I looked under the hood and saw a driveway on the right where I managed to get it stopped. It was in the repair shop for 2 or 3 weeks and a week after I got it back another deer stepped out in front of me. This time I swerved and it's nose hit the antenna and the little ball on the end whacked my windshield. It became one of those long spider cracks so I had to replace that.
Another time a young deer raced down off the bank and right into my left front wheel well. Not much damage to the truck but the deer didn't make out so well.
My wife had a nice buck jump out in front of her a few years back and she clobbered it. The thing got back up and ran out of sight across a field. About a minute later she heard a shot. (It was deer season.) We wondered if that poor deer had Subaru tattooed on the ribs when they skinned it.
2019 oct ...moose at 55/59 .... 0630am rite in the head ,,,insurane gave me 16000g....
Good time to tell my truck driver buddy story...drove thu a bunch of boo,,,with a tarp side 45 footer... a boo ended up betwee the cab and trailer ...and a hunk of meat an fur was on every hook for the entire length.. ouch lol
A deer ran into the side of my truck, one hog, one alligator, and came really close to hitting cow on a curve
Lord have mercy NO, deer are plenty.
In 30 yrs since I’ve been license, never hit a deer. Traveled all over North America hunting.

Driving for NJ to Montana in mid April to look at some properties, try to kill a spring bear and spend a few months ch3 king things out. Should I add a big Azz grill guard to this bumper I built or will it be enough to roll them under the truck as opposed to over the hood?

Several deer, one antelope, and one moose! In my defense.....I drove around 500,00 miles in my Wyoming working career! Working shift work the entire time, lots of twilight driving with a little ice and snow mixed in! Technically, two of the deer hit me! whistle memtb
My BIL ran over a cow with his jeep and the cow ended up under the jeep and still alive. But a sheriff finished it off. I knew a guy in FT Hood, TX who ran over a large armadillo. He thought he ran over a tool box from the noise it made when he hit it.
I hit plenty of whitetails, in 1980 I moved to rural Sullivan County PA but worked the 3rd shift 50 miles North in Endicott NY, nights I counted upwards of 50 to 60 dart across the road in front of me every night unfortunately I hit at least 6 the winter of 81. Got to know my body man and insurance agent very well. I wife nailed one on the way to her job smashed the front of her brand new Cougar XR7, see was so PO'd she backed up and ran over it two more times smile
I hit a chipmunk and a rabbit with my Harley Davidson no damage the the motorcycle . but the animals were dead..
A steer, a deer, and a horse - so far.
3 day old new F150 at a little more than 80. 1 Doe went under the truck and 3 came out. A friends mom had a wildlife rehab and one of the fawns actually survived. $2,800 damage to the new truck.
https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2017/11...a0eMx75lnxcZA4Z7kJLYIuqzZDdj2DNhNRofy3_o

Minnesota Sheriff Hits Deer At 114 MPH, Dash Cam Catches EVERYTHING
Wes LangelerWes Langeler·LifeVideos
·November 2, 2017
cow moose and the F150 finished in a dead heat. So to speak.

Missed that Wyoming deer tho. Rolled the Duster 360 *, totaling it. I had a sore neck for a few days.
Two Deer one on a dirt road I use to live on at daybreak sliding and almost stopped yet enough to kill her, and another at about 70 MPH on the freeway just west of La Grand Oregon.
I had swerved and would have missed her but she spun around at the last second and I hit her head. I saw her in the side mirror spinning like a top.
Hit a Kangaroo a couple of months ago, hopped out of the bush with no warning, straight into my passenger side door.
Got two doe in one shot some years back. One on the front right corner and the other managed to stick his head between the cab and bed. ‘Was quite a bad evening for deer and sheet metal.

Just a few months ago whacked a nice buck being chased by an absolute stud. Fugger got up and ran off.
Here I am, well on my way to 62, and I've yet to hit a deer.

I've come close-- way too close. The county is crawling with deer, but they all seem to miss.

I once had a rather large buck jump clean over my S10. The kids and I thought we were goners, but he went right over the hood without touching.

I did have one scary event back in 1995. I was on my way out after dark and pulled up to the stop sign at the bottom of my street. Just as I was coming to a stop there was a thunk, and a body came sailing over the hood from the passenger side. I'd hit a jogger, or more precisely, I'd hit him. I got out to see if he was all right, and he was already down the sidewalk. I collected myself and drove on to my destination.

Now comes the crazy part. This happened on Monday. I was sitting in my cubicle at work on Wednesday afternoon when all of a sudden I got a cold sweat and started to shake. The memory had come back. My brain had completely blocked the incident. If you'd asked me on Tuesday, I would not have remembered. It came back in such a way that it made me feel sick. After that, I was fine.

As best as I can tell, the jogger did not see my car as it pulled up to the crosswalk. He hit it full force right at the wheel well and it launched him over the hood. For whatever reason he felt like he needed to be on his way in a hurry. Me? I can't figure out why my brain blocked the incident from my memory. It wasn't all that traumatic.

Go figure.
1. Outside Nymagee in NSW deep in the Aussie bush, was run off the road by a herd of 'roos. The Ford Falcon Ute swerved into the scrub, across a dry creek bed and the rear axle was torn out with the car beached as it were. Long way from camp and a hundreds of miles from home.

2. Some weeks later upon the return visit to the little town were towing a flatbed trailer to retrieve the damaged car and were around 60 miles from the town when we were again accosted by a herd of 'roos, this time crashing into the back and all around us. When we got to town we found a 'roo in the trailer where he hit so hard, somersaulted into the trailer dead.

3. Driving down an outer suburban Sydney street with some open scrub on 1 side, a horse came out of the bush and slammed into the Ford Falcon Station Wagon hitting front left guard, impacting and crushing and shattering the windscreen and crushing the front of the roof-line. When I left the scene a couple of hours later, the vet was still tending the horse and listening for lung blood, but though he could stitch him up good as new.

4. Indiphukkingana, 2 occasions, doe then a buck. Lots of vehicle damage. Went back to driving a RAM. No more cars for me.
Not flattened a deer. Knock on wood!

I do have a Ranch Hand deer guard on both pickups as added insurance though.

I hit a large 10 point buck driving a 2014 Ford Explorer. It was at night, and I was running 65 MPH, and did not see the deer until a millisecond before I hit it. Every air bag went off, and my wife's leg was cut and bruised when her air bag deployed. I couldn't see a thing, with all the dust that comes out of those bags when they go off that was floating in the air, and also the impact killed the motor. I was able to feel the shoulder of the road and get out of the traffic. Vehicle was totaled, and it only had about 30,000 miles on it. We were very lucky, because it was the exact spot where a car had hit a deer back in the 1970's, and the deer came through the windshield and killed a woman passenger. You better believe that I slow down at night and really watch when I go through there now.
I think I've hit four over the years. As far as I know, two of them for sure walked away, one DRT, and one probable. The probable walked out in a field and stood there and looked at me. The County Sheriff rolled up on me right after I hit it. He tried walking out towards it and it kept moving away from him. Too far for a handgun shot, and he had a shotgun instead of his AR. Pretty sure that one never made it. No serious damage from any of the hits. We had a lady up here have one run across in front of her van on I-35, came through the windshield, and decapitated her.
The deer can. and will hit you.
In my experience, you can go a long time without hitting a deer and once you hit one, it seems like you become a deer magnet after that. I've had 3 run into the side of my trucks and have ran over a few with no damage.

When the kids were small the wife had a mini-van, I took it to work one day and had a big doe come out of the ditch and jump over the van. Just her hind hooves clacked the top side of the roof on her way down. After that the wife hit several deer with that damn van. lol
Early morning right before light, wife and I were headed to check out an elk spot in a notorious stretch of highway for hitting elk. Car coming the other direction so I slow down being blinded on my left. 5pt bull running full out came out of the dark so fast I didn't have time to hit my breaks, squared up perfect on my grill, wiped out the front end, accordioned my hood on the windshield. With his momentum only his butt hit the windshield in the far right corner where the wife was sitting.

Came to a stop, truck was nonoperable, didn't see the elk but didn't care right then. DPS officer comes by a few minutes later and starting to get light, asks where the elk was, I didn't know. We go to look, climb over a barbed wire fence and find him 100 yards into the forest, 3 broken legs, dead. Officer says, how did he get over that fence?... F'er was tough that's for sure.

Kent
Has anyone ever tried to hit a deer?

Many years ago, there was a big buck that was using my farm and the neighbors. This was in the years before trail cameras, and the deer was almost 100% nocturnal. I'd find his tracks on my place, and he was using it at night, then heading back into the neighbors heavy cover. I hunted him a few years, never seeing anything but tracks. One night I was coming home from a second shift at the factory I was working in at the time, and as I topped the hill on the gravel road, the buck was standing in the middle of the road less than a 100 yards in front of me. I was driving a 1979 F-150, 4 speed, with the 300 C.I. six cylinder. I put it in third gear and floored it, determined to run that big SOB down. Instead of leaving the road, the buck was running down it in front of me. I had gotten close enough that I thought I was going to run over him, and was gripping the steering wheel getting ready. That buck left the road, and instead of jumping a 5 strand barbed wire fence, he went through it. I went back and looked the next morning, and there was deer hair all over the ground, and the wire was loose.

As far as I know, that buck died of old age, as no one killed it that I ever heard of. I've thought about how dumb that was to try and run over it, but at the time it seemed like the thing to do. I sure as heck wouldn't try it today with the way trucks are made, with all the plastic on the frontend. That old 79 was all metal, and I wasn't afraid to hit a deer with it like I'd be the 2017 one I drive today.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Has anyone ever tried to hit a deer?.

No.

Did try and hit a coyote a time or two though. grin

Had my ex-bitch sister in law out in front of me in a parking lot, waving her arms and getting in front of my pickup as my late wife and I were leaving once though.

The temptation to hit the gas pedal instead of the brakes was almost more than I could resist.

Almost.

I do think she got an awaking as the truck skidded to a stop and she was able to grab my deer guard though. smile

Bet she had to change drawers after that one....
Deer whistles and evasive action didn't stop the suicidal doe.
MIL's little 'ol lady bridge-playing partner keeps a deer guard
mounted on her Lincoln sedan out there.
Originally Posted by poboy
Deer whistles and evasive action didn't stop the suicidal doe.
MIL's little 'ol lady bridge-playing partner keeps a deer guard
mounted on her Lincoln sedan out there.

Put deer whistles on my wife's pickup a long time ago. State Farm Ins. was giving them away....

In about a week's time, she had run over two deer in separate incidents.

After the 2nd one, I went out and took those deer whistles off. whistle
Sometimes the whistles get their attention, but I don't know about deterance.
I've hit 5 deer and one antelope with pick-ups over the years. Got lucky with the antelope as she tried to change directions at the last moment and lost her footing and went under my Tacoma, so no damage. A fawn that I hit with my F250 was small enough that it did no damage. I also hit a doe when the roads were really icy. I wasn't going very fast and she couldn't get her footing to get out of my way, BUT I hit her soft enough that she caused no damage. The others did significant damage.
Deer - once - caused $7K damage to my truck.. Had lless than 12K miles on it back then...

Originally Posted by stxhunter
that steer i hit made good steaks. hit it in the head with the bumper. deputy sheriff told me i could take it, went and got a come along, boards for a ramp and loaded it up. 900# steer.

If you would have hit that steer here in Wyoming, you'd have gotten a bill for the steer from the deputy courtesy of the rancher. And you wouldn't have gotten the steer. Open range and all that BS.

ironic thing was I was on my way to my brothers house to go hunting opening day of doe season......[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Hit a SMALL pig in Texas one night at 80 mph in a plastic rental car...damn near totaled it.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
In my experience, you can go a long time without hitting a deer and once you hit one, it seems like you become a deer magnet after that. I've had 3 run into the side of my trucks and have ran over a few with no damage.

When the kids were small the wife had a mini-van, I took it to work one day and had a big doe come out of the ditch and jump over the van. Just her hind hooves clacked the top side of the roof on her way down. After that the wife hit several deer with that damn van. lol

My wife was 50 when she hit her first deer and then hit another one less than a month later. I hit my first one when I was 52 and hit the second one about a year after that. We killed four in less than a year and a half.
Don't have to live in rural PA, to wind up with deer on your hood. I've never hit a deer, had three hit me and I've narrowly avoided another several dozen..

Worst one took out the front end of the truck,everything mangled but for the hood. Destroyed the radiator. Another truck,crushed a fender, headlight and grille. Had a small doe bounce off the side of another vehicle, somehow did little visible damage. All of those deer were running full tilt boogie, couldn't be avoided, all at night.

Know two people that had a deer come "feet first" through a windshield, causing them major head injuries from flailing hooves. Both later succumbed to those injuries.

Following several semis on I-81 a few years ago. Deer came out of the wooded median, Truck in passing lane hit it, deer went spinning through the air and right across in front of the windshield of the cab over truck in the right lane. Ol' boy locked her up, damn near caused a chain reaction pile up. Quite a few deer die along that stretch, coming out of those wooded medians.

Suspect having a spinning deer in front of his windshield at 70 MPH, just might have caused him to soil hisself? PA always ranks in the top three states for deer/vehicle collisions. Yet some still yowl about "no deer" here.
Originally Posted by poboy
Sometimes the whistles get their attention, but I don't know about deterance.

Unless the whistle spooks them I never could see how they help. Deer can hear, see and smell vehicles coming and they are surely smart enough to put the sound and sight of vehicles together. They watch cars and trucks go by all the time in daylight and dark, in fair and stormy weather from the time they are born.

Yet they seem to never associate moving vehicles with eminent danger and will sometimes walk or run right in front of them or into the side of them as if they were invisible or not even in the same time/space dimension.

If vehicles smelled like predators or were covered in wolf or mountain lion hair I wonder if that would make a difference to them.
Something like this?

One old joke in Canada is, if you ever get lost in the bush, just follow a porcupine, they are all headed to the TransCanada highway to get run over.
I hit a doe just outside the parking lot where I worked. She came up out of a hollow from the driver's side. I didn't see her in the dark until she was in front of my vehicle. The first deer I hit was a four point buck with a C-130H on a touch and go. He gored a hole in the skin just below the battery compartment then was slung under the plane and took out a VHF antenna.
Well maybe we need to make those whistles sound like a wolf howl?
10yrs ago brand new grand cherokee 45mph+$7700 in damage

Strangest one was when I was flying through Iowa coming home from a hunting trip. Stopped at a choke-n-puke for a gut bomb, geyser, & a bag of grease, and hit the road again. First big bite, a blob of lettuce fell in my lap, & when I looked down to pick it up, the truck did a little dance.......wtf..... Looked in the rear view mirror to see a doe rolling down the center line.

I pulled over to check the front end, and only saw where the left front corner of the bumper was tweaked, and deer shlt on the tire & wheel. Walked back, pulled her off the road, and hit the dusty trail.
I've ran over, hit, and had deer run into me 9 times in the last 33 years since living rural.

Best "story" is one most won't believe.

Hit a deer with my 85 GMC. It bounce off the left front fender, and was laying on the pavement, flipping it's head up.

I got out my shotgun to finish it off and there was a house just up the road, didn't want to make any noise, so I hit it over the head, breaking one horn, knocking it out, and hitting the pavement with the barrels of my shotgun.

"Thought" I had finished it off....So, I opened the canopy, and tailgate, and tossed it in.

For some reason, I left the canopy open, then started home with the "dead deer"

Got down the road a little, and looked in the mirror, and the deer was STANDING up! Pretty soon it was BOUNCING and JUMPING around!

I started slowing down, and the deer jumped out of the canopy, OVER the tailgate and took off RUNNING!

All I got was a smashed up truck, bent up shotgun, and beat up canopy where the deer had bounced against the top, and tore out one window screen.

So much for trying to salvage a little fresh meat!

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I've ran over, hit, and had deer run into me 9 times in the last 33 years since living rural.

Best "story" is one most won't believe.

Hit a deer with my 85 GMC. It bounce off the left front fender, and was laying on the pavement, flipping it's head up.

I got out my shotgun to finish it off and there was a house just up the road, didn't want to make any noise, so I hit it over the head, breaking one horn, knocking it out, and hitting the pavement with the barrels of my shotgun.

"Thought" I had finished it off....So, I opened the canopy, and tailgate, and tossed it in.

For some reason, I left the canopy open, then started home with the "dead deer"

Got down the road a little, and looked in the mirror, and the deer was STANDING up! Pretty soon it was BOUNCING and JUMPING around!

I started slowing down, and the deer jumped out of the canopy, OVER the tailgate and took off RUNNING!

All I got was a smashed up truck, bent up shotgun, and beat up canopy where the deer had bounced against the top, and tore out one window screen.

So much for trying to salvage a little fresh meat!

Virgil B.

One old joke in Canada is, if you ever get lost in the bush, just follow a porcupine, they are all headed to the TransCanada highway to get run over.

A guy brings in a tractor trailer load of flagstone in here at night. He said he thought he hit something on his way down the road but wasn't sure what it was. All of his tires on the right side of the truck had porcupine quills stuck in them.
I hit a big ol doe , was only going about 25 maybe. Knocked the deer a flip , deer got up & ran off.
Did more damage to the '06 Silverado than it did to the deer , knocked the front bumper cockeyed & broke the passenger side running light.

Mike
A friend of mine was passing a tractor trailer on I-81 one day when the truck hit a deer. He said it pretty much exploded and there was fat, guts etc. all over his windshield so bad he couldn't see a thing. Windshield washer wouldn't touch it so he had to get off the highway and go to a car wash.
Originally Posted by hunter4623
In 30 yrs since I’ve been license, never hit a deer. Traveled all over North America hunting.

Driving for NJ to Montana in mid April to look at some properties, try to kill a spring bear and spend a few months ch3 king things out. Should I add a big Azz grill guard to this bumper I built or will it be enough to roll them under the truck as opposed to over the hood?

I would say that would roll most ride into your grill guard.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by hunter4623

I would say that would roll most ride into your grill guard.

Yep.

Straight through the grill and radiator.
All totaled at least 10 deer over the years. Used to drive a 3/4 ton everywhere and had a custom grill guard.

Hit some in excess of 80 mph. Never did any damage to those trucks.

Was driving south towards Broadus and hit a big doe while pulling a stock trailer. Nailed her at almost 85. Trucker behind me said there wasn't anything identifiable that came out from underneath the trailer. Just a cloud of hair and a lot of little pieces.

I miss those grill guards. I would like to get one for my 1/2 tome trucks now but afraid they would be a bit too heavy.
Originally Posted by DBT
Hit a Kangaroo a couple of months ago, hopped out of the bush with no warning, straight into my passenger side door.

Running from fire ??
My BIL has one of those ranch hand bumper,grill guard and those things are the most solid I've seen,little costly and heavy but dang nice looking.
Ill tell you one thing that Highway between Baggs Wyoming and Craig Co has to have more deer per sq mile than any other stretch in the country.
I've hit two deer and one big black Labrador dog. The dog caused the most damage because it was about 70 mph. It appeared right on the freeway. Both the deer ran away. One caused no damage to the car.

About 10 years ago, they found a 650 pound black bear dead on I-68 in western Maryland. Someone hit it, killed it, and then drove away.
My family and I were driving through a resort in VA. Wife was behind the wheel.

Coming up to a stop sign, she hits the brakes to miss a doe unhurriedly crossing the street. I caught a glimpse of something behind the doe as my wife started to drive forward.......

STOP THE [Thump Thump] ......Car.

She ran over a fawn going 3 miles per hour.

She freaked out, to put it mildly.
Originally Posted by Rgramjet
My family and I were driving through a resort in VA. Wife was behind the wheel.

Coming up to a stop sign, she hits the brakes to miss a doe unhurriedly crossing the street. I caught a glimpse of something behind the doe as my wife started to drive forward.......

STOP THE [Thump Thump] ......Car.

She ran over a fawn going 3 miles per hour.

She freaked out, to put it mildly.

Hahaha, oh my gosh, the Joy's of being a husband. That must have been fun to handle.
I've hit 5 deer.

#1 - I was only going about 30 mph and they came running out of the brush in the dark and raining. I missed them, but one ran into the side of the truck and knocked off a piece of trim. $35.00.

#2 - Coming home from deer hunting during muzzle loader season in the dark. The gun was still loaded, but uncapped. Came around a corner and it was like a wall of deer. Almost had it stopped and punted a doe. I pulled over and the deer was laying in the middle of the road still alive. Grabbed the gun and put a cap on it and before I could shoot her, she got up and ran away. $1200.00.

#3 - About the same as #2, but it was just a doe and fawn. I hit the fawn. $1200.00.

#4 - Headed to my parents house after hunting. I was on a narrow country road going through the woods near a wildlife preserve. It was snowing to beat the band and dark. Had about 6" on the road and I was only going about 25 mph. An 8 point jumped over the guard rail and I hit the breaks. Just bumped his ass end and spun him around. No damage.

#5 - This was spectacular. 2016 in broad daylight. A herd of does were running full tilt out of a field from my left. I can't believe I didn't see them coming. When I did, it was too late. Nailed this doe in the front half of her body with the left front of the truck. It launched her about 10 feet in the air spinning back to my left. I was going about 40. Killed the deer. $4500.00

Aiming at the back end of a moose crossing the road only works sometimes. The cow mentioned above reached the ditch off the oncoming lane, turned back, reached the ditch on my side, then turned straight away down my lane. By that time we were both out of options, despite the fact I was on the brakes.

Busted her hind leg or hip, caved in the whole front end of the 1980 F150. 2 minutes later a trooper came over the hill, finished the cow, and gave me a ride the 2 miles home. 2 am in the morning, sometime in November, 1991 or 92.

With a wife, 100 lb Lab, and 2 elementary school kids, I needed an expanded truck anyway, but damn, that was a good one!

On my way to town one morning, I saw the scene where a semi hit a horse, literally exploding the horse. There were horse pieces in about a 50 foot radius. The truck cab was wedged between two big spruce across the ditch. I'm not sure the trees even damaged the truck, it was that tight a fit. Driver had to crawl out his window, unhurt, I heard.
Any Texans hit those armadillos? I've heard you get quite a ride rolling along with those under?
Any Texans hit those armadillos? I've heard you get quite a ride rolling along with those under?

You can't "not hit" an armadillo...

Most vehicles would clear them, as they are low to the ground.

But an armadillo's natural instinct defense is to jump straight up when spooked... eek
And there was this cruise ship that pulled into an Alaska port with a whale wrapped around its bow.

Didn't even know it was there.

I still remember riding the bus when a big ass pig came up on the highway and the bus ran it over with the rear duals.

Quite the speed bump.

Porky didn't make it....
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by DBT

Running from fire ??

No, it was before the fires. Kangaroos have a habit of hopping in front of vehicles, there are stretches of outback highway littered with carcasses.
One of the funniest things I've seen along these lines was when I was in college in Bottineau, ND. We were doing about 80, southbound for a weekend at home, when a ground squirrel or prairie dog ran out into the middle of our lane and stood up.

No bump, and as I looked back, that sucker was leaning about 45 degrees into the car-passage wind, still standing up on 2 legs.
Originally Posted by las
And there was this cruise ship that pulled into an Alaska port with a whale wrapped around its bow.

Didn't even know it was there.

Had to work an accident years ago where a truck driver pulled into a truck stop and went inside.

His rig drew quite a crowd. They called the cops...

Got there, and saw why.

There was a guy's severed head in the front of the truck. shocked

Had to page the trucker to find him. Then we got the route he'd taken, and had several deputies back-tracking. They found the body a couple of counties over. Drunk guy crawling along the highway on a dark night.

Trucker never saw him.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Ill tell you one thing that Highway between Baggs Wyoming and Craig Co has to have more deer per sq mile than any other stretch in the country.

In late 70's and early 80's, I bet that stretch between Gillette and Broadus would give your statement a run. I was making a Denver to Miles City RT run about once a month then, usually into the wee hours when northbound, and it was nothing to see 300 deer in that stretch, most of them just in the headlights. Didn't get much better Broudus to MC.

Score was Dodge Duster totaled, no deer injured.... Buck came out of the roadside grass about hood high, and I instinctively twitched the wheel, breaking loose the back end ( 55mph- down because of deer, from 75 I usually drove. Back end broke loose and I was going backward, doing fine until the left rear wheel went off the pavement into dirt. All she wrote.
Read an article a few years ago, about a woman in PA hitting a deer with her SUV. Toddler strapped in the back seat. She saw the deer running across fields way off to her left, didn't think anything of it. Deer crossed the road ahead of her and she nailed it, Deer came through the windshield, over top of the kid's noggin and out through the rear hatch glass. IIRC, the EMT folks said she was still hyperventilating when they arrived? Recall it happened near the Tioga County, PA fairgrounds.

Once coming home from camp in the day time, son spotted a deer running parallel to the road, a good three hundred yards out. Going about 75, when he yelled to look out. Sumbitch had veered towards the highway, damn near whacked it crossing the road.

Gal I know that drives a semi, hit a deer one night in NJ a few years ago. Stopped, didn't see any damage to the truck. Got home about six hours later, discovered the deer's head wedged between the front drive axle and an air bag.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Has anyone ever tried to hit a deer?

Many years ago, there was a big buck that was using my farm and the neighbors. This was in the years before trail cameras, and the deer was almost 100% nocturnal. I'd find his tracks on my place, and he was using it at night, then heading back into the neighbors heavy cover. I hunted him a few years, never seeing anything but tracks. One night I was coming home from a second shift at the factory I was working in at the time, and as I topped the hill on the gravel road, the buck was standing in the middle of the road less than a 100 yards in front of me. I was driving a 1979 F-150, 4 speed, with the 300 C.I. six cylinder. I put it in third gear and floored it, determined to run that big SOB down. Instead of leaving the road, the buck was running down it in front of me. I had gotten close enough that I thought I was going to run over him, and was gripping the steering wheel getting ready. That buck left the road, and instead of jumping a 5 strand barbed wire fence, he went through it. I went back and looked the next morning, and there was deer hair all over the ground, and the wire was loose.

As far as I know, that buck died of old age, as no one killed it that I ever heard of. I've thought about how dumb that was to try and run over it, but at the time it seemed like the thing to do. I sure as heck wouldn't try it today with the way trucks are made, with all the plastic on the frontend. That old 79 was all metal, and I wasn't afraid to hit a deer with it like I'd be the 2017 one I drive today.

"Grandpa, you must be a great hunter! Tell us the story about that great big one on the wall!"

frown
I hit a Brahma bull one time in a Ford Ranger. Killed the Bull and the truck. Bulls have a lot of shidt in them. Truck was covered. Fortunately I wasn't hurt.
When I bought my current truck I bought a Ranch Hand bumper. Hit a deer last year going to hunt and didn't do anything to the truck.
knock on wood, I have never hit a big animal, but I was coming home one night with a friend and we drove past a dairy farm

similar to story above this

A fence was down and the cows were out on the road. We are both pretty comfortable around cattle , we sort of knew the farmer so we turned around to go back and herd them back into the field before anything bad happened

As we were coming back, a cow, probably coming in around maybe 900 - 1100 pounds runs out in front of a Ford ranger tooling down the road about 50mph.

It was a site to see for sure, he t-boned that cow (or soon to be t-bones, anyway) and launched it about 25 feet down the road. It skidded on its side for another 10 feet or so.

The ranger just turned into an accordion. The truck owner falls out of the truck and is clearly stunned trying to grasp just what happened.

Btw the time the dust settled the farmer came out. He had a bum leg and was struggling to get to us. While he was coming at us, the cow gets up and starts walking back into the field on his own power, obviously messed up and had a bad limp.

I felt for the cow, the farmer and the guy owning the truck owner.

So picture this site, its 1 in the morning, its foggy, muddy as hell, and an old man with a Walter Brennan limp is pushing a cow with a the same Walter Brennan limp thru a muddy field while a guy is staring at this crumpled heap of metal that 5 minutes ago was his truck.

It was kind of surreal. After determining there was nothing we could do and having no desire to interact with police showing up in our post bar hopping state, we left.
When my daughter first started driving, we gave her the Pontiac 6000 LE that my wife had been driving, and bought my wife another car. Daughter was coming home one night and hit a very large boar hog, probably in the 6-700 category, that had gotten out from a nearby farm. Insurance company fixed the car, then later told us that if the damage had been just $100 more, they would have totaled it out. Cops went to farmer and asked him if he owned that hog, and of course he said no.
I was once out in southern NM between Pinion and Dell City cruising through some wide open country. As I approached a cattle guard, which was on a little bit of a rise, I saw cows on the other side. One was looking right at me, standing along side of the road. I was going about 20 mph as I went over the guard. At the moment I had the least weight on the wheels that cow decided to dart out in front of me to give my lil ol Ranger a good kick in the grill, which she did just an instant before I smacked her. I saw my hood crumple in slow motion followed by the cow being launched further down the road. The cow walked away---satisfied, I'd imagine. I'd driven through cattle country quite a bit and never saw any behavior like that, but it taught me a lesson.

A few years before that, I was headed from Pryor to Billings on a dark night, probably moving along at about 60 when suddenly I passed a black angus standing right on the shoulder to my right. Before I could even conciously react I realized there were a dozen or more standing on the highway. Somehow I threaded through them without hitting one. I'll never know how.

When I was stationed in Jacksonville, I'd bought a Trans Am that was four years old, but cherry. I was out playing in it one night and found an odd place near the base where there were long, straight but narrow roads going through the woods but there was nothing out there. It was a perfect place to run the hell out of it...well, almost. But that's what I did. I would guess I had it up to about 125. I saw something smallish that was going to run right out in front of me, but was just thousandths of a second too late. I thought I heard a "tick" as I flew by it. I don't know what it was, but at the time I thought it was a very small deer and in my mind's eye it had antlers, but this happened in late spring. I'll never know what it was, but there was no damage to the car.

That poor Trans Am suffered greatly. I got out of the Navy shortly after that near disaster and went back to El Paso as a civilian, and I kinda picked up where I left off, heading out east of town at night frequently to shoot jackrabbits. When they were plentiful we'd usually run over a few without swerving or braking, but always in a pickup (and that's what I should have been driving). It became a habit and we'd tally them up along with those we shot. So there I am in my cherry Trans Am cruising down a wide, smooth dirt road when a jackrabbit darted out in front of me...and old habit just kicked in. The sound of that front air dam disintegrating underneath the car is something I can still hear, and before that sound subsided I experienced wave after wave of regret washing over me. The next sound I heard was my cousin's insane laughter.

That was in 1980 and I still plan to kick his ass for that.
I had a brangus bull about 1900 lbs. run into by a lady in a Ford 1 ton at 1AM one night. She hit his head with her driver side front corner and apparently killed him. She pulled off on the shoulder and was trying to notify someone when along came state highway patrolman at an estimated 110 MPH. The Ford Crown Vic he was driving was completely demolished. The police car was old and had over 150K miles on it. The policeman wasn't hurt, I guess the air bag saved him. My insurance paid the damage to the truck but started balking about paying for the police car in full. They said he was partially to blame as he was not answering a call and was going over 100 MPH. I asked my insurance co. to go ahead and pay in full but I don't know how it worked out in the end. I heard the cop got some sort of serious reprimand.
Over the years, the wife and I have hit 10-12 deer with our cars/trucks. Been lucky that none of us were hurt and none of the vehicles were totaled. Insurance paid for the damages except the deductible.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by FatCity67

In late 70's and early 80's, I bet that stretch between Gillette and Broadus would give your statement a run. I was making a Denver to Miles City RT run about once a month then, usually into the wee hours when northbound, and it was nothing to see 300 deer in that stretch, most of them just in the headlights. Didn't get much better Broudus to MC.

Score was Dodge Duster totaled, no deer injured.... Buck came out of the roadside grass about hood high, and I instinctively twitched the wheel, breaking loose the back end ( 55mph- down because of deer, from 75 I usually drove. Back end broke loose and I was going backward, doing fine until the left rear wheel went off the pavement into dirt. All she wrote.

Kemmerer, Wy to Sage Junction, Wyoming (25 miles) used to average 600+ deer kills per year, prior to high fencing and tunnels beneath the roadway. memtb
Hit a horse with a 1968 Chrysler Newport at night in heavy fog. Horse appeared out of the fog running towards me. I swerved and clipped him with the drivers side rear quarter. Knocked the horse down but he got up and walked away. No significant damage to the car. Try that with a new Kia 😝
I hit a deer and didn't die. The state trooper gave me his riot shotgun to kill it. He said dont be telling all your buddies that I let you used my gun. I said dude, I am telling everyone I know. Got 53# of meat from a doe that had been hit by a truck and shot. It was a big doe.
I was rushing one evening to go meet the rancher that we leased from, to go to a wild game charity dinner. I was going probably around 40mph on this gravel county road and as I came over a rise before a cattle guard, one of that ranchers calves ran out into the road in front of my Nissan Titan. I was hard on the brakes with the anti-lock kicking in as I struck that cow. Knocked it down and pushed it under my skid plate as it got drug down the gravel road for a few yards. As soon as I came to a full stop, that cow jumped up out from under my truck and looked at me with as much of a "WTF" look on his face as a cow can muster and then ran off into the pasture, just missing a patch of hair on his side. Messed up my bumper and fender but the truck was still driveable. We met up with the rancher and his wife in town, with me not really being in the mood to party now that my truck is messed up, and then come to find the rancher had the wrong date for the charity dinner and it was the next weekend! He felt bad so we found a restaurant and he bought us dinner.
Around here, hitting deer is something of a hobby. I used to smugly look down on those who hit deer as being less than adequate drivers. I learned from experience that there are times when it is absolutely impossible to avoid. One can often see the possibility of a collision when there are deer evident along the road, but when they come pouring up out of a draw, the game is pretty much over.
His a deer broadside with my Ford Excursion years ago. Cracked my grill and tore off my front license plate holder. $550 in total damages.

[Linked Image from img5.goodfon.com]
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Ranch Road One , parallels the Perdenalis going by "The Western Whitehouse" , never saw so many ground up whitetails, so concentrated on any other road I've been on.

Thats interesting. Drove it 1.5 months ago and never saw a dead deer or blood spot. saw a few WT and Axis deer live though hanging around.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

Thats interesting. Drove it 1.5 months ago and never saw a dead deer or blood spot. saw a few WT and Axis deer live though hanging around.

Hauled calves to Fredericksburg Tuesday a week ago. Never seen the likes of dead axis on 290 between Blumenthal and Hye.
Chevy Colorado "didn't see me". 15,000.00 damage to Chevelle. Totaled his new truck.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Chevy Colorado "didn't see me". 15,000.00 damage to Chevelle. Totaled his new truck.

OMG, that's heart breaking. I just picked up my '68 SS from the mechanic and took it home today. Needed new header gaskets and an oil change. This thread reminded me of what happened last week when I took it to him. Now your post reminded me to write about it.

I left home with the Chevelle at 6:00am to go to work and then take the car to my guy later on. It was dark and after I got out on the main road, I figured I'd "stretch his legs" one time as I hadn't driven it in a couple of months. So I hammered down on it and was tooling along at about 60 mph and came around a corner and out runs a doe. I locked'em up for a second, and with a little stunt driving, missed the deer.
Originally Posted by shortfinger
I was rushing one evening to go meet the rancher that we leased from, to go to a wild game charity dinner. I was going probably around 40mph on this gravel county road and as I came over a rise before a cattle guard, one of that ranchers calves ran out into the road in front of my Nissan Titan. I was hard on the brakes with the anti-lock kicking in as I struck that cow. Knocked it down and pushed it under my skid plate as it got drug down the gravel road for a few yards. As soon as I came to a full stop, that cow jumped up out from under my truck and looked at me with as much of a "WTF" look on his face as a cow can muster and then ran off into the pasture, just missing a patch of hair on his side. Messed up my bumper and fender but the truck was still driveable. We met up with the rancher and his wife in town, with me not really being in the mood to party now that my truck is messed up, and then come to find the rancher had the wrong date for the charity dinner and it was the next weekend! He felt bad so we found a restaurant and he bought us dinner.

So, did you tell the rancher that you ran over his calf?
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim

I would have cried,then really pizzed.
I hit a huge 4 point mule deer just East of Burns Oregon in 1999. Luckily I had a big bumper/tow bar on the front on my truck. Still dented the hood and bumper. Unfortunately I didn't know at the time I could have kept it. One of the biggest deer I had ever seen at that time.
© 24hourcampfire