Print Thread
Hop To
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I found one of these at a local pawn shop today, the 452-2E-ZKM model. It appears to hardly ever have been shot, and only two small indentations in the stock. Came with a Redfield TV view 3-9x40 in cheap see-through rings for $310 out the door. I did find out when trying to mount a different scope in lower rings that it does not use standard 3/8" rimfire rings. The whole scope canted slightly to one side and when the scope was on 1.5x it was very evident that it was not centered on the barrel. A little research online and $60 later I have a set of Talley lows designed specifically for the CZ on the way.

This is my first CZ so I'm open for any suggestions about ammo, accuracy expectations, etc. What's the general consensus about these rifles here on the fire? The trigger measures 3.5lbs on my gauge but from what I read they are adjustable. Is any lighter advisable? Is the adjustment a simple thing? I haven't taken the action out of the stock yet.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have seven CZ rimfire rifles, they provide me with lots of fun, and are very nicely built. I can't really specify one ammo over another, but I'm regularly getting 50 yard groups under a 1/2" with Geco Semi-Auto, Lapua Pistol King, and oddly enough, Aguila Super Extra High Velocity. Lapua CenterX is awfully good, too. I haven't tried the even pricier Lapua Midas stuff, which I can't find locally anyway.

I shoot the first three types more than anything else, and frankly, I don't shoot much Pistol King, though it's awfully good. Too much $$ for my budget.

I am also the only person I know of, that can't get CCI Standard Velocity to shoot worth a damn in my rifles, but that's the case, NONE of my .22s seem to like it, six CZs, three Rugers, a Marlin and a Stevens, and none of them like that stuff. Your rifle may be different, rimfires are fussy things.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Unless you are using a scope with a very, very small ocular, Talley lows are likely going to be too low and the bolt handle will hit the scope when opened. My 452 Trainer is probably the most accurate rimfire I own. The trigger can be lightened by drifting out a pin and installing a lighter trigger return spring. A google search should provide results. Not a bad job, but the pin can be really tight in some cases. Mine likes Eley Target in the yellow box, but as will all rifles, you will have to experiment to find out what shoots best in yours.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
IMHO, the "easy button" for accuracy in most 22 LR rifles at a modest price is SK Jagd 22 Standard (yellow and black box). It is what the same load as tge old origiinal WOLF target 22 ammo was .

It shoots 1/2" or under at 50 yards in darn near any rifle I have shot it in and I never saw a CZ that would not shoot it in 3/8" in good conditions.

SK Pistol is good as well particularly in sub 40 degree weather.

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
Unless you are using a scope with a very, very small ocular, Talley lows are likely going to be too low and the bolt handle will hit the scope when opened.

I will be using an older Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20. I mounted it with the ill-fitting rimfire rings to get measurements. From the top of the reciever to the base of the scope tube was 0.415". In the FAQs on the Talley site, it give measurements for their rings at these points. Low rings are 0.400". I have far more than 0.015" of clearance between the bolt handle and the ocular bell of the scope so theoretically it should work.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jk16
IMHO, the "easy button" for accuracy in most 22 LR rifles at a modest price is SK Jagd 22 Standard (yellow and black box). It is what the same load as tge old origiinal WOLF target 22 ammo was. It shoots 1/2" or under at 50 yards in darn near any rifle I have shot it in and I never saw a CZ that would not shoot it in 3/8" in good conditions.<snip>

That's because the Wolf 22LR ammo was nothing more than SK Jagd Standard Plus or SK Jagd Rifle Match ammo repackaged in a different box that said "Wolf" on the outside. I'm not sure what company Wolf is buying their rimfire ammo from these days but Wolf doesn't make ammo, they buy it from some other company and repackage it.

As for ammo to try in the OP's CZ Trainer, I would suggest any of the brand name Euro standard velocity rounds. I've shot lots of Eley, SK, Lapua, RWS, etc in my Anschutz and CZ rimfire rifles and usually most of them all grouped very good to excellent (i.e sub-moa), depending on the individual rifle. CCI standard velocity is OK but there is always a flyer or two out of every 15-20 rounds fired. Good luck with the CZ, the 452s were nice rifles.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have great accuracy with American Eagle AES22 Ammo (Federal makes if). CZ gets dime size groups at 50Y with CZs. CZ rings are clunky, work well, fit their non standard CZ sized groves. EGW makes a picatinny rail setup.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
you did good, I had 452 trainer too and sold it a few weeks ago for 350, no scope. I feel I sold it too cheap. People want them.

I took that money and put it in a 452fs a local shop had.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I found one of these at a local pawn shop today, the 452-2E-ZKM model. It appears to hardly ever have been shot, and only two small indentations in the stock. Came with a Redfield TV view 3-9x40 in cheap see-through rings for $310 out the door. I did find out when trying to mount a different scope in lower rings that it does not use standard 3/8" rimfire rings. The whole scope canted slightly to one side and when the scope was on 1.5x it was very evident that it was not centered on the barrel. A little research online and $60 later I have a set of Talley lows designed specifically for the CZ on the way.

This is my first CZ so I'm open for any suggestions about ammo, accuracy expectations, etc. What's the general consensus about these rifles here on the fire? The trigger measures 3.5lbs on my gauge but from what I read they are adjustable. Is any lighter advisable? Is the adjustment a simple thing? I haven't taken the action out of the stock yet.

oh tate now you've gone and done it bud. you inadvertently opened pandoras box. my ahem cz "addiction" started with my sons "kids rifle" or so i thought 452 scout which shot easily 5 shots into .5" group50yds with pretty much any subsonic round. my goto round on my too many cz rimfires is either winchester subsonic 40grain hp truncated cone,made in oz i believe, or eley 40 grain subsonic hp. the winchester will be hard to find as they dc'd it a yr or so ago. but buy you some eley,rws and sk jagd all 40 grain hp subsonic and have fun. also, if you have a n ace hardware nearby see if they have any #144 springs in stock and buy a couple. knock out a pin that holds the trigger group to the action and replace said ace #144 spring and you just might fall in love with the trigger as it should be a safe 1lb or sub 1lb trigger then. if you have a click adjustable torque driver play with the 2 action screws starting at 15in/lb but don't exceed 25in/lb as you might crush the wood fibers. most of my cz rimfires like 20in/lb.for some plinking ammo get you some cci standard velo,still a subsonic by another name, and have fun but stick with hp for hunting.oh bty the military trainer should have an 11mm dovetail. i like burris signature rimfire rings as they include 2 sets of clamps for 3/8 or 11mm.oh and to add the factory trigger adjustment is easily done but requires you to remove the barreled action from the stock and screw a nut down towards the trigger will lessen the poundage.but, if'n that ain't enough try out the ace #144 spring.
let us know how you fair,
Big Ed

Last edited by whitearrow; 01/14/20.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.