Twitter
Flipboard
Email
Copy
NEWS
Iran announces arrests over shootdown of Ukrainian jetliner
By Associated PressJanuary 14, 2020 | 6:01am | Updated
Aerial Footage Shows Debris Strewn Over Wide Area at Iran Crash Site

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Iran’s judiciary said Tuesday that arrests have been made for the accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian passenger plane that killed all 176 people on board just after takeoff from Tehran last week.

The announcement came amid an upswell of anger and protests by Iranians in recent days over the downing of the jetliner last Wednesday and apparent attempts by senior officials in Iran to cover-up the cause of the crash.

Iran, which initially dismissed allegations that a missile had brought down the plane, acknowledged only on Saturday — three days after and in the face of mounting evidence — that its Revolutionary Guard had shot down the plane by mistake.

Judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili was quoted by Iranian state media saying that “extensive investigations have taken place and some individuals are arrested.” He did not say how many individuals had been detained or name them.

Iran’s president on Tuesday also called for a special court to be set up to probe the incident.

“The judiciary should form a special court with a ranking judge and dozens of experts,” President Hassan Rouhani said in a speech televised in Iran. “This is not an ordinary case. The entire world will be watching this court.”

Rouhani called the incident “a painful and unforgivable” mistake and promised that his administration would pursue the case “by all means.”

“The responsibility falls on more than just one person,” he said, adding that those found culpable “should be punished.”

“There are others, too, and I want that this issue is expressed honestly,” he said, without elaborating.

Rouhani called the government’s admission that Iranian forces shot down the plane the “first good step.”

The plane, en route to the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, was carrying 167 passengers and nine crew members from several countries, including 82 Iranians, 57 Canadians — including many Iranians with dual citizenship — and 11 Ukrainians, according to officials. There were several children among the passengers, including an infant.

Iran shot down the plane when it was bracing for possible U.S. retaliation for a ballistic missile attack on two military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq. No one was hurt in that attack, which was carried out to avenge the stunning killing of Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani in an American airstrike in Baghdad.

Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the head of the Guard’s aerospace division, said over the weekend his unit accepts full responsibility for the shootdown. He said when he learned about the downing of the plane, “I wished I was dead.”

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the head of the Guard’s aerospace division, said over the weekend his unit accepts full responsibility for the shootdown. He said when he learned about the downing of the plane, “I wished I was dead.”

No problem there... he will be soon enough.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a theory out now that says It was deliberate and pre-planned false flag attack. Iran, believing that the US would launch a hail of missiles back at them shortly after their missile attack on the base in Iraq, deliberately shot down the airliner so they could then claim it was one of our missiles that hit it. That plan was carried out as ordered, but we did not launch a reprisal. No US missiles were in the air then or at any other time. Their murder of all those innocents was for nothing.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm a lot more curious about WHO was on the plane than I am about who/how it was shot down.

Similarly, there sure hasn't been much chatter about the Taiwanese defense minister's helicopter crash past the initial report that it happened.

Last edited by horse1; 01/14/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
I'm a lot more curious about WHO was on the plane than I am about who/how it was shot down.

I think you maybe on to something. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If indeed that is true, what a sad insight of how that leadership's braintrust really works.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=horse1]I'm a lot more curious about WHO was on the plane than I am about who/how it was shot down.

i bet there was a real good reason ? someone or more were the reason ,it will get out someday. Hilihag has been doing it for years

Last edited by pete53; 01/14/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember, they totally denied everything until overwhelming proof showed otherwise.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm betting that the highest guy to get the ax is a couple ranks below the one who gave the ultimate order.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah there was someone on that plane they didn't want leaving Iran with secrets.

LOL
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Amazing they don't blame Trump. the demonrat candidates do.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the Arkancided plane crash that took the life of Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown, in 1996, who had the goods on Clinton, doesn't even get a whiff of investigative curiosity by the Democrat Fake News . . . .

[Linked Image from static.politico.com]
U.S. army investigators approach the wreckage of a Air Force T-43 plane on April 6, 1996, near the Dubrovnik airport. Ron Brown and 34 others were killed in the crash. | AP Photo

Clic pic for story

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
And the Arkancided plane crash that took the life of Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown, in 1996, who had the goods on Clinton, doesn't even get a whiff of investigative curiosity by the Democrat Fake News . . . .

[Linked Image from static.politico.com]
U.S. army investigators approach the wreckage of a Air Force T-43 plane on April 6, 1996, near the Dubrovnik airport. Ron Brown and 34 others were killed in the crash. | AP Photo

Clic pic for story

Heard Brown’s body was recovered from the wreckage with a 45 caliber bullet hole in his skull

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.