Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the perks of life on the West Side Yo.

Bad valve stem? $5 and 15 minutes on my way to work, mounted back on the car. Sorta like Fast and Furious. Se Habla Espanol.

Two thumbs up. I tipped the guy another $5 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Classic boomer mindset, thanks for reiterating.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend his Dad and Brother used to hunt pigs down by the border every year. One time on the ranch they got a flat on their pickup. Guide said he knows the perfect tire shop. Takes them to town to a rickety shack of a tire store. Staffed by 3 old mexican dudes. They drop the tire and tell them they are gonna have lunch and come back. Buddy said they go and eat start walking back. One of the mexicans spots them coming down the street and friend said all 3 Mexican dudes jump up from sitting down and start working on the tire at the same time haha. He said it was funny watching 3 dudes try to look like they are all helping dismount a tire. $5 and 20 minutes later tire was fixed.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Where else is a convicted felon gonna find work?

OTOH they never get robbed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They’re a Bandido family, the sign says to support our local crew.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus they know I’ve been a teacher at the local school practically forever, so I get preferential treatment, strange but true.

One time my ex daughter in law rear-ended someone in my Corolla. Radiator pushed back, hood with right-angle crease across the middle. A genius with a hammer at the local body shop hammered it back to usable the same day I brung it for $160. Teacher privilege. That was 10 years back, still drive it today.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a shop like that in Utah pretty much destroy the rims on my Impala SS. Had an alignment issue in the rear end eat off some tires, bought some used ones to get me home.

Picked up my car and thought why is there so much grease around the edges of my rims. I washed them and found out. The edges of the aluminum were best to hell all the way around and about 1/2" into the face of the rims. Good old Victor's tires denied it all and said I couldn't prove it.

Bb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Back in the '60s street rod days it was a big deal to have custom 'tuck and roll' Naugahyde interiors stitched and installed at little out-of-the-way shops by Mexicans down around the border. They did some pretty classy work, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather go to the local Mexican shop than the local tweaker central.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't worry, if you paid them cash I have no doubt they will claim it on their taxes to make sure they are giving back to the country. But hey, at least you saved a few bucks.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have bunches of Meskins tire shops here.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Don't worry, if you paid them cash I have no doubt they will claim it on their taxes to make sure they are giving back to the country. But hey, at least you saved a few bucks.

Who doesn’t take credit/ATM cards anymore?

I hardly ever carry cash, β€˜cept to the range where they don’t take plastic, but they have an ATM machine which is about the same thing.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Anyhow, would you experience immensely righteous fulfillment if I conceded to your condescending suspicions?

I read that somewhere wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not for Me. I know what the technical requirements of tire repair are. It is very difficult to find any facility that is doing the job 100% correct. I drive a FWD pickup with OEM 20's and if one tire repair fails I could be in for replacing a $1500.00 set of tires. Finding a used tire to match a worn set would be next to impossible. These HD trucks scrub around corners and will pick up any debris in the road. I've had three nail strikes so far.
The only facility I would trust is a company authorized tire dealer. My last tire repair I requested to see the nail puncture and went over the required steps of the tire repair. The shop did ok until I got to the post patch sealing step. I asked to see the product they were used to coat the patch/plug area after it had been installed. They showed me a can of adhesive that they don't use anymore. They said that it didn't work on the patch/plugs. They were applying the post sealer to the primary patch. I told them how to use the products in the process and they were happy. Tire repair products all have a shelf life. They are expensive consumables that need to be cared for.

Last edited by MM879; 01/14/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
We have bunches of Meskins tire shops here.

My Ex brother in law cued me onto a friggin’ ace mechanic who has a transmission shop deep inside the West Side. Place looks like a dump but it’s always packed. The guy is an Evangelical believing Christian, honest to a fault. Does great work, also great at diagnosing a problem free of charge just by listening.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'd rather go to the local Mexican shop than the local tweaker central.....

Motorcycle mechanics at the dealerships, IME seems it’s hard for them to find a good mechanic who will work for what they pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Anyhow, would you experience immensely righteous fulfillment if I conceded to your condescending suspicions?

Boy, somebody is awfully touchy about their 'Meskin tire shops.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Boy, somebody is awfully touchy about their 'Meskin tire shops.

Interesting thing is, I've been here more'n thirty years and they were already an old business when I got here. Same thing with the body shop.

The tire shop is open 7 days a week, always busy.

Didn't use them for years, always went to the big chain tire stores, then one day I needed a flat fixed quick. Been buying all our tires there for about 20 years.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If we took away the incentive for them to be here we'd save $$$ billions by not having to build a wall and patrol the border. Just saying. I don't understand encouraging them to come for cheap labor then build a wall to keep 'em out.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by joken2

Back in the '60s street rod days it was a big deal to have custom 'tuck and roll' Naugahyde interiors stitched and installed at little out-of-the-way shops by Mexicans down around the border. They did some pretty classy work, too.

Yep - and a bunch of 'em were literally RIGHT across the Tia Juana border... That was big business back then when I was in the area mid-'60s...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.