Campfire 'Bwana
LMAO!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
If you do go for a light weight 308 build, consider using a light weight bolt carrier as part of the operating system. I was able to remove about 4 ounces from these carriers, making them approximately the same weight as a full auto AR15 carrier. That much weight reduction in the carrier makes a difference in how easy the rifle is to shoot, but has not compromised reliability in my 308 at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
RAAK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I really don't much care if you sell it or not......................really stupid thread & use of bandwidth.

MM

Jeez. I guess I don’t have enough posts to be worth the bandwidth. If it’s so stupid why did you click on it and feel compelled to reply. Just to be that way I guess. Nah. I don’t care. It’s all fun and games. But I really should have named it pros and cons or something.

Last edited by RAAK; 02/18/20.
R
RAAK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yes it was breastroker that had the builds I was looking at.

Originally Posted by Yondering
If you do go for a light weight 308 build, consider using a light weight bolt carrier as part of the operating system. I was able to remove about 4 ounces from these carriers, making them approximately the same weight as a full auto AR15 carrier. That much weight reduction in the carrier makes a difference in how easy the rifle is to shoot, but has not compromised reliability in my 308 at all.

I was reading about the JP Low mass bolt carrier and they only recommended it for race guns and such. Mine won’t be a duty gun but I still don’t want a jammer. Did you increase the spring rate to make up for the low mass?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got an R25 that I’m in the same boat with. It’s basically impossible to hunt with because it weighs like 85 lbs

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RAAK
Yes it was breastroker that had the builds I was looking at.

Originally Posted by Yondering

I was reading about the JP Low mass bolt carrier and they only recommended it for race guns and such. Mine won’t be a duty gun but I still don’t want a jammer. Did you increase the spring rate to make up for the low mass?

Sorry, missed your question last week.

There are some liability reasons for JP's statements, but also those apply a lot more to the aluminum carriers that wear out a lot faster than a steel carrier.

I did not change any springs or buffers to use those light weight carriers, just tuning the gas system (restricting gas more than a heavy carrier needs) is all that was required. Both of those were just as reliable afterwards, but a little easier to shoot well with less reciprocating mass. It's possible the heavy mass of an AR10 bolt carrier might be necessary in a full auto application, but for a semi-auto civilian rifle the standard 308 carriers are a lot heavier than they need to be. You can safely take these carriers down to 10-11 oz and still expect full reliability as long as the gas system is tuned to match.

Keep in mind that most 308 ARs are seriously overgassed with some loads, and an adjustable gas block or some other gas tuning method is a must, whether you use a light carrier or not.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.