Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Never been much of a Vortex fan. But I want a lighter weight 1” scope. How’s the reliability, tracking and RTZ of this model?

GB1

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Wait, do they make this thing with simple plex reticle?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Uggh. Deal breaker.

Why is it so damn hard to find a 1” scope with a duplex reticle that can reliably dial a little bit?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Uggh. Deal breaker.

Why is it so damn hard to find a 1” scope with a duplex reticle that can reliably dial a little bit?

Primarily, because expensive scope will plex reticles do not sell very well.

Try Meopta MeoPro.

ILya

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That scope is not designed as a dialer, it can be used as such in a pinch though. Does a nice job for what it it is, a lightweight hunter with nice glass.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by koshkin
Uggh. Deal breaker.

Try Meopta MeoPro.

ILya

Really? Is there no market for a guy who just wants to be able to shoot a little more confidently yet doesn’t want a brick with a busy reticle atop their lightweight rifle? I just can’t get my brain around this tactical bent to scopes these days.

I’ve got several Meopros. Great scopes. I’d just like a bit more magnification than 9 or 10x without going to a 50 mil bell. If they made a Meopro in a 4-12x42(ish), the search would be over. The 4.5-14x44 is just a touch bigger than ideal for this particular rifle.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/14/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Go 30 mm tube and the NF shv 3-10 plex.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Don’t want the weight for this particular gun, which is why I said 1”. I’m well aware of the SHV line and know they’re great. Don’t need the adjustment range either. Wouldn’t shoot past 500. I guess I back to trying to accept that what I want doesn’t exist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Don’t want the weight for this particular gun, which is why I said 1”. I’m well aware of the SHV line and know they’re great. Don’t need the adjustment range either. Wouldn’t shoot past 500. I guess I back to trying to accept that what I want doesn’t exist.

SWFA SS ultralight? Definitely some compromises but ...

Last edited by AKwolverine; 01/13/20.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Uggh. Deal breaker.

Try Meopta MeoPro.

ILya

Really? Is there no market for a guy who just wants to be able to shoot a little more confidently yet doesn’t want a brick with a busy reticle atop their lightweight rifle? I just can’t get my brain around this tactical bent to scopes these days.

I’ve got several Meopros. Great scopes. I’d just like a bit more magnification than 9 or 10x without going to a 50 mil bell. If they made a Meopro in a 4-12x42(ish), the search would be over.

There is a 4.5-14x44 Meopro.

ILya

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by irfubar

They had discontinued these models, wonder if they really going to bring these back. I have and had lots of the vortex viper and diamondback models. My favorite so far has been the 4-12X40 diamondback. I dont twist knobs and all that other mess, just set and forget on hunting rifles. But I did just pick up the Burris E-1 4.5-14X42 for $191 to my door from Doug.

Dont eat the big white mint!
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by irfubar

Thanks but I want better glass than that. The Razor series is the only Vortex I’d consider.

Someone know of a scope that has:
1” tube
40-44 mm objective
3 or 4 to 12-14x max magnification
16-17 oz max
14” long max
Quality glass with simple duplex reticle
Second focal plane
Reliable, solid RTZ and tracking, limited dialing to 500 ish.

Cost would not be much of a consideration if it ticked all the above boxes.

Please spare me the “just accept a few more ounces and go 30 mm and get a Nightforce.” I know that may be your version of acceptable, but it’s not mine. Thanks.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/14/20.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Uggh. Deal breaker.

Try Meopta MeoPro.

ILya

I’ve got several Meopros. Great scopes. I’d just like a bit more magnification than 9 or 10x without going to a 50 mil bell. If they made a Meopro in a 4-12x42(ish), the search would be over.

There is a 4.5-14x44 Meopro.

ILya

That MeoPro is the closest thing I’ve found yet. Almost ideal, just a touch heavier and bigger than I ideally want.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Although now discontinued, there are still some 1.5-8X32 and 2-10X40 Razor HD LHs on Ebay at the moment with the G4 reticle. If you're wanting a simple hunting reticle, I think it qualifies as such. I have the 1.5-8X32 with the G4 reticle, and I think it's an outstanding hunting reticle. It looks somewhat like a #4 without the upper vertical stadia, but with a center dot. The outer bars are very bold, tapering to narrower bars near the center, and the small center dot allows for precision aiming. The bold outer bars extend far enough toward the center to allow easy bracketing of a deer sized animals vitals in very low light. It does have BDC marks below the center dot, but there are only 2 and they're small and unobtrusive.

The 1.5-8X32 is very compact and light. I would not choose it if you planned to twirl knobs, and it wasn't designed for such; it's a "set and forget" scope. In that role, I think it's a very nice scope. I love the G4 reticle, it has retained zero for me so far, and it's optically very nice.

I'm not a fan of most of Vortex's rifle scopes, but I do think those from the Razor series are pretty good, especially at the discounted price I paid for mine.

Ted
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the razor LH G4 reticle on my barret fieldcraft. I thinks a great hunting reticle. I know it’s not what you want but if you are limiting to 500 I can see using the center dot for max point blank range and then use the second and third dot to get you to 500. I’ve dialed mine a few times just to check repeatability and it’s been perfect.

The glass is extremely bright and clear and the eye box is huge. I think it’s about the most perfect lightweight hunting scope for the discounted prices (399)

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by go_bears
I have the razor LH G4 reticle on my barret fieldcraft. I thinks a great hunting reticle. I know it’s not what you want but if you are limiting to 500 I can see using the center dot for max point blank range and then use the second and third dot to get you to 500. I’ve dialed mine a few times just to check repeatability and it’s been perfect.

The glass is extremely bright and clear and the eye box is huge. I think it’s about the most perfect lightweight hunting scope for the discounted prices (399)

Where are you seeing one for $399? Wow

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Futura

Yeah that’s not the G4 reticle though, that’s the HSR. I don’t really like either, but I dislike the G4 less. The issue is this is going on a rifle that my kids often shoot. It takes them long enough to get set up on game, the last thing I want is a confusing reticle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.