-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed the write up. I owned a Mossberg ATR 30-06 for a season or two when they first came out. It was accurate and I shot a few deer with it.

Yup.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Congrats... I think. smile

Yeah...same here..

Its like a Savage..yeah I KNOW they shoot well...but they still say Savage or Mossberg on them and I can't get past the stigma that carried for decades...

And being a Creed sure does't help...

That's spelled "doesn't"

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Meh, I don't mind giving the Creed a shot. I'll either like it or I won't, but I certainly didn't 'need' it. I figure this one's cheap enough that it doesn't matter what I ultimately decide. At this point, I think the kids will certainly get some use out of it and I don't mind the gun so far.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a big fan of the 6.5 and the 6mm CM. And I don't have a man bun or a pony tail.....yet.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Checks a lot of boxes for not a lot of money. I like a plain jane stainless adl.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was doing some housekeeping today and took a few pics of the Mossberg next to a Howa .223 and Weatherby Vanguard .308, both in Bansner stocks. This will give some visual reference of the stock on the Patriot Predator since there isn't a whole lot real-world user info out there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by SockPuppet; 01/18/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our local Bi-Mart has the TC bolt action Crudmores for $220. Thought I'd buy one and see if I liked the rifle and/or the chambering. At that price, it can be made into legally disposable pieces with the bandsaw if I don't like it and have any trouble getting rid of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got mine today. Thanks for the tip....I think. I definitely see the weak link is the plastic mag and plastic mag insert that goes between the stock and action and the action screws go through the insert. Wish it was some kind of composite....but it's just plastic. We'll see how long it lasts.

Overall....not bad for $280 + $200 for Superchicken + $80 for rings = $560 total.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May need to break out the JB bore paste. Ran a brush through it several times followed by patches and could not get them to come out clean before I gave up. Probably worrying too much about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also wondering if anybody is going to engineer a better mag for this rifle and a better stock or mag insert. There should be tons of these rifles out there. I'd be in on an aluminum mag insert and a better mag.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This rifle is awfully tempting. The design of the mag/insert sounds pretty terrible. Wouldn't stop me from buying one at the price point, but it would be nice to have the option to improve it with aftermarket parts.

I have a T/C Compass I bought on a whim at a crazy deal price. With a little work on my part, it's turned into a very reliable and accurate shooter. However, it has one of the cheap plastic mags with a cheap plastic locking feature built into the mag. I can't see relying on this rifle for anything serious. If that little plastic tab breaks, there goes the rifle.

If there was an option to replace the factory stock with a nicer version that became a blind magazine I feel it would be an upgrade over ultra cheap, plastic parts that create single point failures.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
This rifle is awfully tempting. The design of the mag/insert sounds pretty terrible. Wouldn't stop me from buying one at the price point, but it would be nice to have the option to improve it with aftermarket parts.

I have a T/C Compass I bought on a whim at a crazy deal price. With a little work on my part, it's turned into a very reliable and accurate shooter. However, it has one of the cheap plastic mags with a cheap plastic locking feature built into the mag. I can't see relying on this rifle for anything serious. If that little plastic tab breaks, there goes the rifle.

If there was an option to replace the factory stock with a nicer version that became a blind magazine I feel it would be an upgrade over ultra cheap, plastic parts that create single point failures.

Someone needs to engineer an aluminum part that accepts AICS mags to replace the plastic mag insert. I don't believe it would be difficult for anybody with a CNC machine and design program that knew how to use it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
257, hopefully that will be done at some point. I'm hooked this week but may get some time to shoot mine more over the weekend.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Decided to swap scopes and give it a thorough cleaning, so I took a few pics of the components so folks could see what 257heaven is talking about. The owners manual doesn't provide an action bolt torque, but it seemed to be around 25-30 in-lbs per my Fatwrench. I later checked the interwebs and found references to 25 in-lbs, so that's where I set it upon reassembly. Components:

I adjusted the trigger down, which is a single-screw affair. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I'll guess that it's around 3 lbs. now. There is a little bit of creep.

The recoil lug and stock fit:

Here is the magwell/spacer insert and magazine. As previously noted, it's just plastic and nothing special.

Figured I'd try a Nikon M-Tactical 3-12X42, just because. I used the same Warne low height rings and it appears that it could be mounted lower without issue. It added about 4 ounces of weight.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 01/25/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Picked up a TC Compass at Bi Mart just before Christmas.. on sale for $200.00 in 6.5 Creedmoor...

going to play with it, when I get around to order some dies for it... I don't do store bought ammo...

The rifle is decent for being a lower buck model of any rifle...I sure like it over a Ruger American...
Trigger is kinda heavy, but no creep...
safety had to be more with a pair of pliers the first time I handled it...
Comes with a threaded barrel for putting a moderator or can on the end of it..
stock was better than some of the other low dollar ones I've picked up to play with..Savage Axis, Ruger American.. definitely better than a Stevens stock...fit was as good as a factory synthetic on an ADL Remington...
Came with Weaver style scope bases on it...

hey, for $200 bucks, I think it is a darn good value...I'll play with it, and then it already has a home it'll go to..
a disable Marine Vet buddy, who saw Iraq and Afghanistan a couple of times...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hey John, pick up a trigger spring kit from M Carbo for that Compass. It is an easy upgrade that really helps that trigger pull.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've read good things about the Compass but never shot one. I'll be interested to see your results after you have time to play with it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My T/C Compass in .308 was not much to look it. With a little work on handloads it’s a pretty good shooter, and a rattle can paint job improved the stocks appearance (at least in my opinion).

Attached Images
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Hey John, pick up a trigger spring kit from M Carbo for that Compass. It is an easy upgrade that really helps that trigger pull.

Yes, the spring change is critical. I forget where I purchased my spring, but with the spring change then some very light polishing the trigger went from serviceable you pretty nice.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any longer term reviews?

Semi tempted to try one out

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,605
Posts18,511,548
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.