S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by turkish
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Timberland..
I'm making 60% to 130% on an annual basis. And have been for 15 years

Care to offer some pointers? This interests me at a return 1/10th of what you’re talking about. Timber market is very poor in the SE from I know.

you're welcome to give me a call

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Low cost index funds from either Vanguard or Fidelity.

It won't suffer tornado damage. It won't pay rent late. It won't damage your property.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Vanguard funds

+1 ... Mastercard is the only investment I have that has increased more % than Vanguard Growth in the past 12 months...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
go to vanguard and see if they have a tax free muni fund for your state. the one here in pa pulls in 2 or 3% most years and its tax free. might want to educate yourself on muni's if you aren't familiar.

that'll be $500

My diploma is a DD214
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
go to vanguard and see if they have a tax free muni fund for your state. the one here in pa pulls in 2 or 3% most years and its tax free. might want to educate yourself on muni's if you aren't familiar.

that'll be $500

laugh

Appreciate that. Looks like Idaho's are free of Fed and state tax...

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Where would you put 100-200K right now in this bull market for a *shorter term* (3-5 year) investment.... Hopefully that isn't a contradiction in terms.
I'm thinking annuity, but that brings huge penalties should the opportunity for a real estate investment present itself.

Any 'best stock' picks going forward in 2020?

broom, what is your investing goal you want to accomplish in 2-3 years?

Thanks for the insights everyone.

Goal--I'm thinking 8-10% annually seems realistic in this market-??
We have a modest $2500 American Funds investment that did 18% this year, I realize that isn't the short term norm. (MAGA) I'm thinking I should have put a lot more in that growth fund.

I would hesitate to get invested right now with the major indexes at record highs. If I did I would DCA. I'm pretty heavy into American funds and they have a good track record. I average about 8%per year for the long haul. Last year was 18+% , the year before was a loss.

Vanguard has a lot of nice options with pretty low fees. Don't invest if you have to have the money at any certain time. It goes up and down.

lightman
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Broom, that is a tough question for stock pics for 2020. It is record high again today , I think. I am fully vested and will stay that way. However, I am not putting anything else in till my SEP in April. I will likely put it in a multi sector bond fund . the ticker is PONAX. It is also about high right now but pays dividends monthly and pays 5% yearly in divies. During the 2008 cars it went down about 10% in price but gave back 5% in dividends. I dont think you can beat that . The price goes for between $12.00 and $ 12.10 . It was 12.09 today . It does not charge a load through Fidelity and doubt it does through Van. or Scott ECT. I just dont think the market is going to keep going up and a pullback is due. its been over a year now since we had over 10%. I would like to see a 10 % correction . A fidelity gov. fund pays 1.47% and can withdraw anytime . Spraxx is the ticker , I think.

Last edited by ihookem; 01/15/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Uhhhhh, Bitcoin. Get rich, son

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Vanguard funds

Solid advice. NEVER an annuity.

interesting,
bought two of them in the last six months, and am perfectly happy.
fixed interest rates, higher than any of the banks.

Mortality crap shoot.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Vanguard funds is what wifey has.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is not the time to dump large amounts of cash into the market, We're at a decade plus of a bull run, Historic highs at 29+,

you cant time nor predict the market, but always be mindful of a few time honored theories,

Mainly, buy low sell high.....

You're considering doing just the opposite......

Bond funds, CD's Tbills and be happy with a return of even 5%, because that's the best you'll average with low risk choices.

Be patient and cautious.

Small steps with dollar cost averaging if anything..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where would you put 100-200K right now in this bull market for a *shorter term* (3-5 year) investment.... Hopefully that isn't a contradiction in terms.
I'm thinking annuity, but that brings huge penalties should the opportunity for a real estate investment present itself.

We're in the same boat (we retire in 3 years and want to buy no later than 2 from now) and want to be ready to pounce when the right retirement place shows up and are not willing to risk much loss if things go south in our primary investments. Here's where we went.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/316146356

Won't earn a lot, unlikely to lose any.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lost 20% / year 1982 -1994
I have made 20% / year 1994-2020

The stock market averages 9% over the very long term.
Some gotta win, some gotta lose.
If you are beginner, you are likely to make less than 9%.
But a beginner can buy an indexed fund and get the average.

I tell beginners to put the bulk of the money in indexed funds.
With a small part of the money, try your hand at stock picking.
When you make more money than indexed funds, start moving money from fund to stock picking.

So far no one has listened to me. They jump into stock picking and lose money.

I tell them it is like baseball. The average batting average in the majors is .248.
In your rookie year, if you could get a guaranteed .248, you should take it.
That never sinks in.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Goes without saying; but only you can decide your risk tolerance. Also goes without saying, but as that tolerance goes up, so too will your potential returns. Personally, with your stated goals, I’d be taking a hard look at REITs. NLY is one I own, and think highly of. Just keep in mind the tax consequences, especially if you decide to go with a REIT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs

We're in the same boat (we retire in 3 years and want to buy no later than 2 from now) and want to be ready to pounce when the right retirement place shows up and are not willing to risk much loss if things go south in our primary investments. Here's where we went.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/316146356

Won't earn a lot, unlikely to lose any.

I'm also a Fidelity user,

for example, using the Fidelity website 'compare' option,

using the same investment option category, (intermediate core bond),

One can quickly see your FXNAX with returns of 3.67% over the last 10 years, it also quickly shows other Funds in the ICB sector that pay better with identical level of risk, for example WABAX with a return of 4.81% over the last 10 years...

Just an example, No one's right or wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
12 months ago, me crying over a 15% downturn,

(link didn't work) link to last December a thread I had started.

These are fat times, but you might want to be thinking skinny.

Last edited by Kenneth; 01/15/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not knowing the OP's age, risk tolerance, and future goals, I'd get an advisor with that sum of money. Diversify and DCA would be my approach. Everything is historically high.
Don't rule out the value of single or double tax-free muni bonds.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Just an example, No one's right or wrong.

Thanks - will need to look at that

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
When they sell you an annuity contract, they believe they can, via investments, make much more from the purchase price than they are contracted to pay you.

+1. I took over my aged aunt's finances right before she had several annuities that were getting ready to start paying out. I cashed them ($100K+) out. Several hundred a month guaranteed sounds like a lot until you have $6000+ a month expenses when you're in assisted living. The salesmen scare old people with the old "the market could crash and you'd lose EVERYTHING. This way, you'll have guaranteed money until you die" ploy and it works. That's how they make their money.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No annuities for me ever.

Look into Fidelity funds or Putnam funds.

They made a chunk over the last 25 years and last year made us more than 13000+-.

Some CDs might pat 3 or 4 % but i doubt it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 73 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,121
Posts18,502,378
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.