Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 34 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 33 34
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Faith as a belief held without the support of evidence can prove true or false depending on whether actual evidence comes along. Then there is the matter of probability. How probably is it that Islam is correct, or Hinduisms Brahman, or Zeus living atop Mt Olympus.

"Faith is like a piece of blank paper whereon you may write as well one miracle as another." ~ Charles Blount (1654-1693)

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Faith as a belief held without the support of evidence can prove true or false depending on whether actual evidence comes along. Then there is the matter of probability. How probably is it that Islam is correct, or Hinduisms Brahman, or Zeus living atop Mt Olympus.

"Faith is like a piece of blank paper whereon you may write as well one miracle as another." ~ Charles Blount (1654-1693)

What about your faith-? Its on display every time you post, yet you exempt it from your own critique.

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Faith is all you have in the end.....

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

We all know that science, philosophy and religion all have the same origin, don't we? I'm suprised that religion manages to persist as long as it has.

The sober reality of this world can get rather
depressing for some, another world of make
believe can help sooth and distract, offering
some temporary relief.

In war soldiers can tell themselves "the war will
Be over soon and we will be home for christmas"

That can help some better deal with the constantly
piling up bodies, stench, fatigue, fear, misery, hunger,
etc.
Now if one can imagine something way superior
like a heaven, it may even better assist in convincing people that all the terrible suffering is worthwhile.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT

What about your faith-? Its on display every time you post, yet you exempt it from your own critique.

Equivocation. If I point out what the essential definition of faith is, it is not my definition but the given definition as used in the English language. I am not making anything up., Blount used the recognized definition of faith back in the 1600's, as quoted. I can and do support what I say.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man can prove the internet/WiFi/fibre optic cables work... Prayers ending up in Gods ethereal inbox
not so much.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

You are not correct. Faith is not as you say ….”a belief held without the support of evidence…..” That may be your thinking but it most certainly not biblical nor in line with basic Christian tenets.

In brief, here are the basics:

First, faith is “being sure of what hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Now, your natural mind will object and say that I am describing belief without any evidence for that belief. (see Hebrews 11:1)

Your dictionary may describe faith as simply as “belief in and devotion to God.” There is more to it than that.

So, second, faith is a gift….. a gift….. from God. He gives that faith to us. Yep, that simple. God gives us the faith to believe in Him and to be “certain” of what we do not see.

This is the “proof” that God provides to us and for us. (see Ephesians 2:8-9)

As had been referred to previously…. “…He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” (see Hebrews 11:6)

Last edited by TF49; 01/15/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Should I care?

You like to quote Aquinas but dont care about his claims?

You either buy his story or you have reason to doubt it.

Which is it?

And what do you use/require to support your choice?

As far as what Aquinas says he can kiss my butt. I look at the quality of his arguments, can I better them or not. I really don't care if he can fly up his own apex or not.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really don't care if he can fly up his own apex or not.

You either buy the Aquinas claim of levitation
or you dont.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man can prove the internet/WiFi/fibre optic cables work... Prayers ending up in Gods ethereal inbox
not so much.

Man can disprove travel beyond the speed of light, communications over the internet, are not possible without a modem, and network interconnect by sticking optical cable in your ear. Prayers not ending up in God's ethereal inbox
not so much.

Perhaps some things are not subject to proof, or disproof?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really don't care if he can fly up his own apex or not.

You either buy the Aquinas claim of levitation
or you dont.

I'm agnostic. grin

or following on to my previous post, prove he didn't.

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
These threads always devolve into one side believing the message delivered by Christ. They defend their position of faith relying upon what Christians believe to be the ultimate source of proof, the Bible. Through faith we believe, through faith we have eternal life.

The other side dismisses the Bible out of hand and mocks the teachings of Christ. They don’t view the Bible with reverence like Christians do. They laugh at it, they belittle it, they besmirch those that believe in it. They demand proof of faith in order to believe in faith. 😁 They demand an undefined threshold of proof that MY FAITH must meet in order for them to BELIEVE.

The other side has FAITH....our burden of proof has been met. It’s revealed in the Bible and in our personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It’s through that personal relationship, the experiences we have in our daily lives and with open hearts that we can see God’s hand in our lives. I can’t prove my experience to someone else nor can I prove what my personal relationship with someone is like, especially if they don’t care to hear about it. Just because I can’t prove what my relationship with someone is like doesn’t mean that relationship isn’t real or doesn’t exist.

What I don't understand about these threads is why every time one comes up, the same people line up to try to discredit others' faith. Why do they care what others believe? Believe what you want, but why the need to discredit someone else's beliefs? Why do they care, and why the need to try and "prove" something that can't be proven?

It makes no sense.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So you believe things till disproven?

IF you were on a jury where a christian defendant claimed God told him to kill his child,

The burden is for the court to prove a God didnt
do such?

You would tell other jury members that you believe
the defendant without any proof?

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT

You are not correct. Faith is not as you say ….”a belief held without the support of evidence…..” That may be your thinking but it most certainly not biblical nor in line with basic Christian tenets.

First, faith is “being sure of what hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Now, your natural mind will object and say that I am describing belief without any evidence for that belief. (see Hebrews 11:1)

Your dictionary may describe faith as simply as “belief in and devotion to God.” There is more to it than that.

So, second, faith is a gift….. a gift….. from God. He gives that faith to us. Yep, that simple. God gives us the faith to believe in Him and to be “certain” of what we do not see.

As had been referred to previously…. “…He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” (see Hebrews 11:6)

Hebrews, if you understand the verse, supports what I said. It says exactly what I said, only more poetically. Faith is a sense of surety based on the things hoped for, faith is its own 'evidence' - which is not actually evidence in terms of verifiable information that anyone can access, ie, your reasons for believing in god is not based on objective evidence....hence the reason why your belief is classified as a matter of faith...faith is believing in things unseen and non detectable, the Hindu faith, Islamic faith, etc, etc...

Last edited by DBT; 01/15/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT

Equivocation. If I point out what the essential definition of faith is, it is not my definition but the given definition as used in the English language. I am not making anything up., Blount used the recognized definition of faith back in the 1600's, as quoted. I can and do support what I say.

You are a critic of the idea of obtaining knowledge through faith. That fact has been demonstrated on this site beyond any doubt (in numerous posts by you and conversations in which you've participated) . Yet you exempt yourself from the strictures of your own criticism because materialism (which you adhere to with near religious devotion) holds that the metaphysical freedom of the mind (the idea that the mind is actually free to apprehend truth) is an impossibility. In which case, truth is an impossibility and in which further case, it is nonsense to even employ language for any purpose. (This is the quintessence of nihilism). The only way to escape this conundrum is to deny the truth of materialism (which you refuse to do) while incessantly talking as if truth is a genuine possibility and while simultaneously while slavishly following a philosophy that denies that there is any such thing as truth. You are therefore very much like that Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars.

Last edited by Tarquin; 01/15/20.

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Science cannot explain consciousness, my body could do all it does without me being self-aware inside it. Proof enough for me that what we see ain’t all there is.

Likewise I cannot recollect ever creating myself.

Mostly I’m very grateful for the life I have been given.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT

Hebrews, if you understand the verse, supports what I said. It says exactly what I said, only more poetically. Faith is a sense of surety based on the things hoped for, faith is its own 'evidence' - which is not actually evidence in terms of verifiable information that anyone can access, ie, your reasons for believing in god is not based on objective evidence....hence the reason why your belief is classified as a matter of faith...faith is believing in things unseen and non detectable, the Hindu faith, Islamic faith, etc, etc...

Well, here again we have non-Christians telling Christians what the Bible teaches. Not uncommon.

Oh well, go your own way, it seems right to you.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Science cannot explain consciousness, my body could do all it does without me being self-aware inside it. Proof enough for me that what we see ain’t all there is.

Android phones do a stack of things that the owners dont know the device is doing even when not actively using it... Most people still dont know
precisely how that is possible.. And many still
wouldnt really uderstand even if you explained
the intracacies Of the tecnology to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you believe things till disproven?

I told you, I'm agnostic.

Logic requires that you entertain any possibility, yea or nay, no matter how improbable, until proven (to your satisfaction) otherwise.

Which explains a lot.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Dad used to tell a joke.

A roofer was near the ridgeline of a large barn hammering in shingle nails when he slipped and started sliding inevitably toward the eve.

"Oh Lord Jesus save me please!"
Just then his pants snagged upon a protruding nail and he abruptly stopped sliding.
"Never mind Lord, the nail caught me."

I was carted along to Sabbath School every week during my formative years. I took Bible studies from several religious organizations and studied the Bible in College. Along the way I learned how many organized religions change their positions on doctrine with the times in order to keep the pews filled and the coffers full. I learned how various sects cling to one verse or chapter or even book of the Bible and use that segment to ignore other sections.

I remember a revelation when I was 12 years old. I was playing out in a 18 inch tall alfalfa field when I realized I had lost my one and only first ever pocket knife recently received as a birthday present. I was kneeling in the dirt and had not moved since I had the knife in my hand.

And I remember praying. "Show me my knife. Help me find it and I will believe forever" No, at that time, as a twelve year old child, I did not believe. I wondered, but did not know.

And eventually after bending over each bunch of alfalfa and straining the dirt through my fingers in a circle as large as I could have possibly dropped the knife. I did find it. I breathed a sigh of relief. And then I sat and thought about what had just happened.

Being a rational, rather than an emotional child, I concluded that it was my dedication to the search. A thorough and methodical sifting of the possible terrain in which it had been lost. There was no devine intervention.

This lead to a life of questions and doubt. Eventually, before I graduated High School, I concluded there was no evidence of any form of deity. Oh, yes, until my mid-twenties, I sat through Sabbath School. I read the lessons and could regurgitate all the proper answers. But it was no more than a mental exercise, and an opportunity to socialize with the young pretty single ladies.

From the time I was six years old, I had read mythology from many cultures, and I learned to recognize Judeo Christian stories to be equatable to Roman, Greek, Norse, and Arab mythology.

There is much wisdom in the Bible. To live by the laws of the Bible is to live cooperatively as a society. There is much real History recorded in the Bible, but it is mixed with the mythology of the oral traditions. And there is much in the Bible which is only there to perpetuate The Priesthood and keep the Priests fat, happy, and sometimes even well bedded.

None of the previous paragraph proves the existence of any god, or the deity of the man known as Jesus of Nazerath. It does prove the old Jewish priests were wise and calculating and had thousands of years to hone their stories for greatest effect.

So, to the OP. No, I do not believe prayer changes the odds in the outcome of any situation. I do not deny that their are beings in the Universe with higher abilities than I or with more knowledge than I. I do deny that such a being has any influence upon my life, nor knowledge of my existence. And that being must conform to the laws of physics, just as you and I must.

As I am experiencing Heaven right here on Earth in the present time. I have no need to believe in an afterlife. When the electrons quite flowing in the brain, consciousness fades, and that which makes us human rather than inanimate matter ceases to exist. We are done and gone, never to exist again.

What is the proof of this? What a ridiculous question. Of course no one has ever actually died, actual brain dead, total cessation of neural activity, and then told us what is on the other side.

So there is no proof. But I do have FAITH.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 22 of 34 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,212
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.