Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Chose the Bushnell.. done deal. Now off to stress over mounts.. a case and a cleaning kit . 😂

You get the illuminated or non?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Illuminated

You can lead a horse...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You’re gonna love that scope.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I miss the G2 reticle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
We are down to 52 of the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 3-12x44 Flat Dark Earth - G3 at only $649.99

Ordered on Saturday, processed Sunday evening, and arrived today (Wednesday). Good service. Thanks, Doug.

I like the FDE more than I thought I would, but don't care too much about the color. I do like the thin center section of the reticle, compared to the illuminated version that I had in the 4.5-18x LRTSi. I sold that scope a few weeks ago, and don't recall how it looked at 12x for direct comparison.

Lack of illumination control is nice, for my needs. I never used the lit reticle on the other scope, and found the dial more annoying than anything.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/15/20.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I do like the thin center section of the reticle, compared to the illuminated version that I had in the 4.5-18x LRTSi. I sold that scope a few weeks ago, and don't recall how it looked at 12x for direct comparison.

For precision shooting in good light, I agree. For general hunting, I think the illuminated version is better.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That illuminated is pretty thick

You can lead a horse...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That’s why I like it. You can see the reticle at last legal light without having to turn the illum on.

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
That’s why I like it. You can see the reticle at last legal light without having to turn the illum on.

John

I've seen some pictures of that reticle lit up.. and it looks really fuzzy. Does the light wash out into the glass around it or does it have good contrast? Maybe it was onntoo high of a brightness setting? Or just a camera issue.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An early heads up for the members here. We will be announcing a "While Doug is at SHOT Show" sale on the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 3-12x44 Flat Dark Earth - G3 for only $599.99
Right now you can call in, 516-217-1000, and mention this forum and we will honor the price as we have not officially announced this yet. This sale will run through Sunday 1/26 or until we are sold out

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An early heads up for the members here. We will be announcing a "While Doug is at SHOT Show" sale on the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 3-12x44 Flat Dark Earth - G3 for only $599.99
Right now you can call in, 516-217-1000, and mention this forum and we will honor the price as we have not officially announced this yet. This sale will run through Sunday 1/26 or until we are sold out

OK. This gives me enough of a reason to replace a couple of SWFA 3-15's (223AI and 308).

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a heads up. It's been 19 minutes since I mentioned this and 3 scopes have sold already. The price is good till I get back from SHOT or we run out of these scopes and we have fewer than 100 of them

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
after you use one, a mil reticle/turrets is ALL you'll want.....

Why? We're talking about scopes capable of dialing precisely. So why is that kind of reticle necessary at all. Why have a holdover reticle at all with all that business... if you can dial a scope and use a simple duplex reticle?

I agree, this is what I was talking about. What is the need for the reticle when you have a scope that dials precisely?

Last edited by Lucas1; 01/16/20.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Man, I just ordered one of these last weekend at the old price. Talk about timing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Lucas1
after you use one, a mil reticle/turrets is ALL you'll want.....

Why? We're talking about scopes capable of dialing precisely. So why is that kind of reticle necessary at all. Why have a holdover reticle at all with all that business... if you can dial a scope and use a simple duplex reticle?

I agree, this is what I was talking about. What is the need for the reticle when you have a scope that dials precisely?

Other than for measurements when zeroing your scope, I'm not sure. Holdover and windage.. but you can dial that.. using it to calculate distance.. but there's rangefinders for that and more accurate and quicker than I can do the math.

Measuring compensation to get on target I guess.. Some examples of how you guys use this reticle besides for sighting in?

Last edited by Musicianized; 01/16/20.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A reticle with angular increments is not commonly used to calculate distance in the field anymore. As you said, LRFs are good enough these days that "milling" the target is only ever necessary if your RF fails, and even then with the coarseness of the increments in most reticles, it's an educated guess once you get past about 400-500 meters, at best.

A graduated reticle is most useful for holding wind and for measuring the angular subtension of your misses (holding the correction with the reticle can be handy, too). It can also be useful for measuring target size. Some examples:

- The wind is rarely a fixed, constant speed and direction, so dialing for windage correction is too slow and inelastic. The reticle can be used to hold off for windage correction with much quicker response to changes in wind speed or direction. Sometimes even mid-trigger pull a change in wind hold is needed if you notice the wind gust or let off, or if the direction changes suddenly.

- Now, let's say you take a shot (and you follow through properly so you stay in the scope and on target after the shot is released), and you see that the shot missed a little low and left. You use your reticle as a ruler to measure the necessary elevation and windage correction to get your next shot on target. You can then either hold the correction entirely with the reticle, or you can dial in the elevation correction and hold the additional windage. You could also dial both and use the same hold as on the previous shot, but this is slower and less practical than the other two methods of correction.

- Let's say you are shooting a target of unknown size. It can be useful to use your reticle to find the size of the target (the target is 0.1 MRAD wide by 0.2 MRAD tall, for example). This is practical when shooting rocks at 1000 meters up on a mountain slope, for example. If you are setting up steel targets and shooting them, then using your reticle to measure the size of the steel is totally unnecessary, but can be of interest.

- Finally, if for whatever reason your LRF is not able to give you a range, you can use the reticle to find the angular size of the target, and then you can use the known linear size of the target to calculate the approximate distance to the target.

If you ever shoot at moving targets, using the reticle to lead a mover is also very useful.

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 01/16/20. Reason: Add more detail
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jordan went over the reticle use deal. And Form has a thread on it. pay attention.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
Man, I just ordered one of these last weekend at the old price. Talk about timing.

I got two more last week. And they's a bargain even at full retail..... kwitcherbishin. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jordan went over the reticle use deal. And Form has a thread on it. pay attention.....

Repetition aids in learning 😁

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven

OK. This gives me enough of a reason to replace a couple of SWFA 3-15's (223AI and 308).

But damn. SWFA cut the 3-15's down so low, they may not be worth messing with selling. One of mine is FFP and one is SFP. I may keep the SFP to have in case I need it some time for a backup.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 63 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.