Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Up until now I have found it easy enough to drift rear sights with a brass punch without hitting it too terribly hard. Unfortunately I now have a CZ85 and an M&P which refuse to budge. Yes I've checked for and removed the set screw, but no-go unless I pound on them more than I'm comfortable with. Any suggestions on how to move them other than buying a sight-pusher I'll never use again or paying a gunsmith more than that cost?

tia

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the hammer & punch method for decades. Some of the Euro guns can be obstinate. I put the slide in a padded drill press vise and in the worst cases, spray them with nut-buster and play a propane torch over them. Think I ruined one rear sight in 44 years- but they all moved.

Last edited by SargeMO; 01/15/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe put some Kroil on it and let it set overnight.

Then put the slide in a padded vise, and use some card stock or similar to pad between the sight and punch.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
M&P's are known to be fitted tight, peened, welded and then staked in place. wink

Well maybe not to that extent, but they are usually very tight. I bought a cheap universal sight pusher after gouging a sight in a Shield. Luckily I was changing them anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does it have a right to left or left to right orientation? Just an FYI, I have put a spent .22 rimfire over the end of a steel punch and used that to keep from damaging the sight. The extra surface area can be a good thing too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Any suggestions on how to move them other than buying a sight-pusher I'll never use again or paying a gunsmith more than that cost?

You'll probably use that sight pusher a lot more than you think.

If nothing else, take it to the range and charge people $5 per gun to help them get zeroed.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Up until now I have found it easy enough to drift rear sights with a brass punch without hitting it too terribly hard. Unfortunately I now have a CZ85 and an M&P which refuse to budge. Yes I've checked for and removed the set screw, but no-go unless I pound on them more than I'm comfortable with. Any suggestions on how to move them other than buying a sight-pusher I'll never use again or paying a gunsmith more than that cost?

tia

Those CZs sometimes have VERY tightly fitted rear sights that take a lot of force to move. When they are that tight, they definitely come out easier in one direction than the other; if you look closely you may be able to tell which end of the sight went in first; push it back out in the reverse direction.

When they are that tight, you may just bend/break your sight tool. Mounting the slide very solidly in a good vise and using a flat punch and large hammer is what I prefer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sakoluvr, "I have put a spent .22 rimfire over the end of a steel punch", that's a great idea. Wish I thought it, definitely going to use it . Thanks

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Think those are bad...try and move Kimber sights...they are put in with a hydraulic press... Tried to replace the front sight on a ProCarry and ended up having to send it back to the factory...

I have had this one for about 10 years and it has done an excellent job on everything I have tried it on...usually use it a half dozen times a year but a valuable piece of kit...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...p500-universal-sight-tool-prod17840.aspx

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Maybe put some Kroil on it and let it set overnight.

Then put the slide in a padded vise, and use some card stock or similar to pad between the sight and punch.

This is what I had to do to move an immovable front sight on a Winchester 1885. I used Liquid Wrench and let it sit for several hours, that did the trick. Kroil is probably better but any kind of penetrating oil like that will definitely help.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thought I'd follow up on this. I (1) soaked the sights in Liquid Wrench for about 5 days, (2) put a .380 case on a steel punch as Sakoluvr suggested and (3) got a bigger hammer. Worked great! The rear sights didn't move easily, but they did move.

Thanks everyone.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 38 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.