Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I feel sorry for you Ejp 1234. Hopefully you except God before you die!!!!

I know Him! I had a stroke in 2008. It was his through grace that I’m alive today that I can walk, talk, and think. Not always spell.😁.

But i am!!!!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with modern medicine?

Didn’t say that! But who do you think aloud man to make modern medicine!

Well, I feel sorry for you too Whelenman... not only can you not spell... though you admitted to it.

Gods will didn’t make your laptop thinner nor your fuel mileage better.

I think maybe you meant, "God's will...".

Wm has suffered a stroke. What's your problem? Oh yeah. Nevermind. Your stupidity problem is congenital.

You really do crack me up man. You have got to be the most miserable being I have ever cross paths with on the net. Literally, 90%+ of your posts are hate filled posts towards another poster, a politician, or a race in general.

Im very serious when I say, I suspect you walked in on your wife riding a black guy or getting spunk spewed on her face while in your own bed... maybe it was your daughter, I am not sure.... but I am sure something happened.

For a man who declares his devotion to Christ, constantly referring to various scriptures, you need to really reflect on life if you truly do seek salvation. I don’t believe, but I very much understand Christian beliefs... Believe or don’t, that is irrelevant in forming a firm opinion your one extremely emotionally challenged being (aka fugged up in the head). You better hope Texas never adopts a red flag law.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by nighthawk

I told you, I'm agnostic.

that doesnt apply if you were on a jury
with a defendant claiming God told them
to murder.

Sure it does, never heard of a hung jury?

Logic requires that you entertain any possibility,
yea or nay, no matter how improbable, until proven (to your satisfaction) otherwise.

A jerk like you would say "Prove God Didnt"

What are you afraid of, that you can't? Can you prove Aquinas didn't levitate or do you just ass-u-me he didn't, perhaps as a matter of faith?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What about "the devil made me do it because God
Gave the devil the task of doing so"

We know from some CF christians that killing
and even genocide sanctioned by a God is just fine.

How dare a court of law question the faith
of a christian that is charged with purposely
killing their child and using God as their defence.

In the OT, satan is fully under the control of god, the book of Job, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
What served as the foundation of faith for the first century church...? We should take the cues about the foundation of our faith from those who were closest to the action...the first century, first followers of Jesus. What was the foundation of Peter’s faith; where did Peter get his hope; how is it that he was now walking around in the open - being bold and confident and preaching - whereas before, he was afraid and hid for his life...? The foundation of his faith was not something he’d read or had read to him. The foundation of his faith was what he’d seen. What should be the foundation of our faith...? What should be the center of our confidence...? Peter would say “that’s easy...the resurrection.” The foundation of our faith is not a book - it is an event. The Bible did not create Christianity. The Christians eventually created the Bible. The foundation of our faith is not a cleverly cobbled together group of manuscripts. Peter believed what he believed because of what he saw. He saw Jesus die, and later, he saw the risen Jesus. The resurrection is the foundation of the Christian faith.
Then why do you reject it?

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DBT
What about "the devil made me do it because God
Gave the devil the task of doing so"

We know from some CF christians that killing
and even genocide sanctioned by a God is just fine.

How dare a court of law question the faith
of a christian that is charged with purposely
killing their child and using God as their defence.

In the OT, satan is fully under the control of god, the book of Job, etc.

You're a liar. You vote DNC also.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus drew people to Him. People from all different backgrounds were attracted to Jesus. Do ‘Christians’ nowadays draw people to Jesus...? Does the body of believers nowadays draw people to Jesus...? Do Jesus’ followers nowadays represent Jesus in a way that draws people from the onlooking world to Jesus...? So many of em’ seem to be angry about ‘sinners’ and happy about hell. Sin doesn’t make God angry...sin breaks God’s heart. Sin should break our hearts, because sin breaks people. If God so loved the world that He gave His son for it, then He is ‘for’ the world. That means that He’s against anything that’s not ‘for’ us. God’s against sin because God is ‘for’ us. How many times have we seen ‘Christians’ judge non-Christians for not acting like Christians...? Who would a ‘Christians expect a non-Christian to act like a Christian...? Why would a Christian be critical and berating to a non-Christian for not acting like a Christian...? The Apostle Paul said “what business is it of mine to judge those outside of the church...?” Why would a Christian judge outsiders for not embracing the values of something they’ve never signed up for in the first place...? We’re not supposed to judge outsiders...we’re supposed to love outsiders. Christians often drive others ‘away’ from Jesus. God spent hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years getting the world ready to send the ‘one person’ into this world that could pay for our sins. And all He requires from us is to acknowledge what He’s done for us...and then just live ‘that’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Going back to the original post, I don't think this question can be answered.

A sick man gets well after someone prays for him. Is that because of the praying or would he have gotten well anyway?

Another sick man dies afer someone prays for him. Why? God's will?

I tend to feel that it makes no difference. However, here's what i really think: Prayer doesn't cost much and it may not work. But it might work. So if someone believes it works, why not let them?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Antlers, you're right. We all fall short and should do better. I can get by ok with those unfortunate enough to not believe and pray for them, traitors and subversives who support the destruction of our country and constitution our gifters fought and died to give us, not so much.

Speaking of who draws from all corners to him. Trump.

MAGA. GOD bless him.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/16/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Science cannot explain consciousness, my body could do all it does without me being self-aware inside it. Proof enough for me that what we see ain’t all there is.

Android phones do a stack of things that the owners dont know the device is doing even when not actively using it... Most people still dont know
precisely how that is possible.. And many still
wouldnt really uderstand even if you explained
the intracacies Of the tecnology to them.

No, but it is all explainable in observable terms.

Consciousness is a personal quality not provable in anything else. For all I know YOU are merely a biological entity, no self-awarenes necessary.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Jesus drew people to Him. People from all different backgrounds were attracted to Jesus. Do ‘Christians’ nowadays draw people to Jesus...? Does the body of believers nowadays draw people to Jesus...?
I understand what you are saying, and I often see critics of Christianity make criticisms along those lines. Oftentimes, what the critics are condemning are defense tactics of Christians - defending their children from what are basically monsters. Take the homosexual lobby for instance - they don't want to be left alone, they want to create more opportunities for self gratification. Fact is, if you are teaching perversion to my kids, I'm coming after you! I don't care if someone is in the Church or not, they are dangerous and need to be neutralized.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

You are a critic of the idea of obtaining knowledge through faith. That fact has been demonstrated on this site beyond any doubt (in numerous posts by you and conversations in which you've participated) . Yet you exempt yourself from the strictures of your own criticism because materialism (which you adhere to with near religious devotion) holds that the metaphysical freedom of the mind (the idea that the mind is actually free to apprehend truth) is an impossibility. In which case, truth is an impossibility and in which further case, it is nonsense to even employ language for any purpose. (This is the quintessence of nihilism). The only way to escape this conundrum is to deny the truth of materialism (which you refuse to do) while incessantly talking as if truth is a genuine possibility and while simultaneously while slavishly following a philosophy that denies that there is any such thing as truth. You are therefore very much like that Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars.

I too am a critic of knowledge gained through faith.

Belief may be gained through faith. Belief is not knowledge. Many have faith and believe things which are demonstrably false. Many have faith and believe things which are contrary to the knowledge and beliefs of others.

Knowledge tells us only that one or both must be wrong.

Knowledge is gained through observation and interpretation of those observations.

Can you prove that you are the person who writes checks in your name? The very idea (the assumption) that you are you is an idea held on the basis of "faith". It cannot, in the final analysis, be empirically demonstrated. Likewise, the belief in the metaphysical freedom of the mind a belief (upon which all "knowledge" ultimately depends) is a belief held on the basis of faith.

That's not how it works. Though it is a fine example of equivocation.

There is nothing equivocal in the absolute necessity of faith as the beginning of all genuine knowledge. You yourself are dependent on and exercise "faith" every time you "think". The difference between you and the theists is they are at least intellectually honest about it.

Tarquin
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Once again, it takes no faith, only observation to gain knowledge.
I know the sky is blue, I can observe that.
I know that alcohol and tobacco damage the body, I can observe that.

I believe that cessation of brain activity equates to death of the soul. I can not observe that, but have faith it is true.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
So, you would have believed there were no organisms that could make to I'll in dirty water before microscopes were invented.

You could have called a witch doctor and drank a concoction of rat penises, bat saliva and toad skins if you got a bad enough fever and been in the crew that said your illness came from someone's curse rather than tained food or water?

wink

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

A sick man gets well after someone prays for him. Is that because of the praying or would he have gotten well anyway?

Another sick man dies afer someone prays for him. Why? God's will?

I tend to feel that it makes no difference. However, here's what i really think: Prayer doesn't cost much and it may not work. But it might work. So if someone believes it works, why not let them?

[/quote]
Why not let them? How could anyone possibly stop them? Prayers do not need to be audible to be effective.

Last edited by RickyD; 01/16/20.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I keep it simple, you all know what I say.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sure it does, never heard of a hung jury?

LOL...Cite case law where a jury was hung when they couldnt decide if 'God forced' a murderers hand.

is there any case on record where motive for the crime was attributed to a verifiable God?

Logic requires that you entertain any possibility,
yea or nay, no matter how improbable, until proven (to your satisfaction) otherwise.

again cite case law where a jury has genuinely considered the 'viable possibility' as requirement of judicial process law,
that a God may have in fact forced a mans hand.

[quote]A jerk like you would say "Prove God Didnt" [quote]

What are you afraid of, that you can't?..

For people on murder charges that try to deflect reponsibilty for their actions by blaming a God

how woud you go about proving beyond reasonable doubt (in as you say a 'logical manner')
that a real deal God forced the defendants hand?

Hiding behind the claim that 'faith is beyond proof' dont cut it in such matters.

your waffling birdbrain dumb ass would be laughed out of court even all the way
down the steps of the courthouse..only place you can really push your inane crap
is on the irrelevant CF hoping to find acceptance..and i doubt the more rational,
learned, down to earth christians here support your view.

your responses wreak of desperate clutching of straws based on highly subjective belief stances.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i always pray for my family and friends, never felt right asking for myself.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We can read what God says to us, we have to speak to him. Well, He seems to like us speaking to Him, He knows our heart.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

We all know that science, philosophy and religion all have the same origin, don't we?
I'm suprised that religion manages to persist as long as it has....

we should also note that religion and politics often rub shoulders for mutual gains,
adopting like strategies...ie ": if we repeat the same unsubstantiated nonsense enough times it will make it true"

when you question them, they take the convenient defensive cop out victim status stance ,
that "you are attacking my faith".

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

You are a critic of the idea of obtaining knowledge through faith. That fact has been demonstrated on this site beyond any doubt (in numerous posts by you and conversations in which you've participated) . Yet you exempt yourself from the strictures of your own criticism because materialism (which you adhere to with near religious devotion) holds that the metaphysical freedom of the mind (the idea that the mind is actually free to apprehend truth) is an impossibility. In which case, truth is an impossibility and in which further case, it is nonsense to even employ language for any purpose. (This is the quintessence of nihilism). The only way to escape this conundrum is to deny the truth of materialism (which you refuse to do) while incessantly talking as if truth is a genuine possibility and while simultaneously while slavishly following a philosophy that denies that there is any such thing as truth. You are therefore very much like that Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars.

I too am a critic of knowledge gained through faith.

Belief may be gained through faith. Belief is not knowledge. Many have faith and believe things which are demonstrably false. Many have faith and believe things which are contrary to the knowledge and beliefs of others.

Knowledge tells us only that one or both must be wrong.

Knowledge is gained through observation and interpretation of those observations.

Can you prove that you are the person who writes checks in your name? The very idea (the assumption) that you are you is an idea held on the basis of "faith". It cannot, in the final analysis, be empirically demonstrated. Likewise, the belief in the metaphysical freedom of the mind a belief (upon which all "knowledge" ultimately depends) is a belief held on the basis of faith.

That's not how it works. Though it is a fine example of equivocation.

There is nothing equivocal in the absolute necessity of faith as the beginning of all genuine knowledge. You yourself are dependent on and exercise "faith" every time you "think". The difference between you and the theists is they are at least intellectually honest about it.

No, it is equivocation...our experience of the world and self begins with information acquired from the external world by our senses and brain....which is in turn being tested against the external world as we navigate our way through it. The tree or the wall is there to bar your path regardless of what you believe. If your senses are reliable, you negotiate your way through an environment that does not care about belief or faith.

Last edited by DBT; 01/16/20.
Page 24 of 34 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 70 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,432
Posts18,528,577
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.