Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JTman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I know this has been discussed here before but I think it's been a while.

I have been using Weather Underground's app for years but with the latest update I just hate it so I'm looking for a decent weather app to replace it with. Which ones are you guys and/or gals using?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Like you, I'm still looking. In the wildly varied terrain and micro climates of the mountain west none of the big weather apps work. I think they lump locations and zip codes to save money, I hate to give the government any credit, but when I was plowing snow for customers I had to use NOAA, National Weather Service...what they call "map point forecast". Select a point on a topog map and click. They blend elevation and historical data to produce a very localized forecast. County Road Dept uses it exclusively to try to cut down on overtime from false panic attacks by WU and others.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Like you, I'm still looking. In the wildly varied terrain and micro climates of the mountain west none of the big weather apps work. I think they lump locations and zip codes to save money, I hate to give the government any credit, but when I was plowing snow for customers I had to use NOAA, National Weather Service...what they call "map point forecast". Select a point on a topog map and click. They blend elevation and historical data to produce a very localized forecast. County Road Dept uses it exclusively to try to cut down on overtime from false panic attacks by WU and others.

That works for me.

Wife has the Weather Channel goodie on her phone, is always predicting rain/snow to hit in "x" minutes.............it's never right.

NWS site you mentioned doesn't try that, just gives me a decent idea what's going to happen during the day/night. If I use the radar image on that page I can get a good idea how far away the weather is and prepare accordingly.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Weather Ch is a huge DNC Global Warming Greta pusher.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MM879

Read up on how weather radar reflectivity works and you will be on the way to using this streaming data.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Weather Underground.

It gives me the best info with the least amount of global warming hooey.

It also supports my weather station. Look me up KKYFALMO2-- The Greater Browningsville Metroplex.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
JTman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shaman
I use Weather Underground.

It gives me the best info with the least amount of global warming hooey.

It also supports my weather station. Look me up KKYFALMO2-- The Greater Browningsville Metroplex.

I used to love Weather Underground but with the latest update when you try to look at the extended forcast it's very hard to read and it used to be great. I just don't understand why they had to mess up a good thing.

They lost me...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NOAA Hi-Def Radar Pro app is helpful. No forecast, but good for seeing what’s happing +/- 30min ago in great detail.

Fear the crabcat.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use Dark Sky. Seems to work pretty good.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

J
JTman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Bump... any other opinions?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
AccuWeather.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Weather Bug app has been pretty helpful for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to have watch the weather closely with work. I tried a bunch of them but, and its not very sexy, but the national .gov site here was by far the best. They don't go in to giving up to the minute forecasts for within a mile each way bum fug Idaho like the Weather Channel does, because that kind of pin point accuracy is a pipe dream at best. The McWeather companies are there to sell advertising, get their info from national .gov sites and embellish the hell out of it to give ridiculously long forecasts with pin point "accuracy".

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Weather.gov's mobile 7 day weather site.

All the other sites get there info from the National Weather Service.

The NWS is forced to share all radar data with the private companies. They privates do not own any radar.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mine is:

I arise...go outside...unzip and take a whiz. If the grass is the only thing getting wet...I know it's not raining...and if I need dark glasses....means the sun is shining and it may be a good day! If I'm up early (usually) and I see stars out....might be good day to do some shooting if my hat stays on my head!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My radar

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hated the switch too. I use weatherbug but go back and forth when their app wasn't running right. Tried dark sky but didn't like it. Not sure if there is a NOAA app or not. For now running weatherbug but it isn't giving live updates I have to open the app now for some reason.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
‘Windy’ works well.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I work as a meteorologist. I only have two weather apps on my phone: National Weather Service and RadarNow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,127
Posts18,502,528
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.