Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just looked at the Ruger site and noticed the "Hawkeye Hunter" is furnished with a rail now! Whats the deal, Ruger finally figure out that their rings are too HEAVY, strong but HEAVY! Is rifle drilled and tapped? Are the Ruger rings extra now? Change is not always good, just go back to the round top and let me select my mounts!

Just called Ruger CS. Rings are not included. Rail is drilled and tapped for factory 20 MOA rail, which can be removed and Ruger style rings can be used. Add another $80.00 for the rings which were included with last year's model.

Last edited by Switch; 01/16/20.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The rail is D&T'ed right over the top of the integral mounts. You can unscrew it and use ruger rings, if ya want....

I'd tend to think the rail and rings would be just as heavy as the steel ruger rings alone....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ruger rings do tend to be a bit heavy. But.... There are no separate bases. If you weigh a set of steel Leupold mounts + the bases they weigh about the same as just the Ruger rings.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's a 20moa rail and the ports they drilled won't work on any other aftermarket rails nor do they have anything the correct length to plug those holes if you decide to remove the rail. (All of this per Ruger CS.) That setup was pretty attractive to me, but it also didn't seem like on that required a 500+ yard optics kit, especially in 6.5 with only a 20" barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Ruger rings.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can't please everybody, or anybody it seems.

There are other rails that attach to the Ruger dovetails. 20ma rails seem like what most rail lovers want these days, even more. 20" or even shorter barrels are popular with suppressor users. 5R rifling is a bonus too.

Don't need it, but I like it. Only thing missing that I'd prefer is their two-stage trigger.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did they just discontinue the regular old unthreaded, unrailed, blued Hawkeyes?

They're no longer shown on the Ruger site.

https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeStandard/models.html

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Goosey

I was trying to buy a Hawkeye plastic stock for my Mark II, and noticed they don't make them anymore. But they got a bunch of butt ugly adjustable pull length laminated stocked rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I checked their 2020 catalog. No standard blued Hawkeyes. Just a bunch of trendy "cool" versions, "Hunter", "FTW", "African", "Guide Gun", "Compact".

What if you just want a plain boring blued rifle? I guess it's 2020 and no one wants such a thing anymore.

Hopefully they bring it back.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by DollarShort

I was trying to buy a Hawkeye plastic stock for my Mark II, and noticed they don't make them anymore. But they got a bunch of butt ugly adjustable pull length laminated stocked rifles.

http://www.GunPartsCorp.com had the hawkeye syn stock last time I checked, a couple weeks ago.
Bought one for a /06 mkII.

Last edited by molly; 01/16/20.
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I love the Ruger ring design. There are definitely aspects that are less than ideal, especially when trying to achieve tiny groups, but the simplicity of the setup and the lack of dedicated bases combined with some of the most heavy-duty rings in the business make for a great hard-use rifle. The simple fact that I did not have to buy rings or bases when purchasing a rifle was a huge positive for me.

I personally cannot stand Picatinny rails obstructing the action of my rifle and I am sad to hear that Ruger is discontinuing the Standard Hawkeye. It seems that the market is moving the way of the target shooter for the time being.

Maybe when it comes back to the middle Ruger will re-release the Compact Magnum in .308.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree, I too love Ruger rings. If you think they are heavy, check out Leupold QRW rings. In a low height, 1" to 1" comparison, the Rugers weigh 4.25 oz. and the QRW's weigh 4.75 oz., AND you have to add the weight of bases to the QRW's. I use stainless rings even on my blued M77. I blast the rings and Duracoat them for an all stainless rig. What other stainless rings can you buy that have all stainless hardware at anywhere near the price of Ruger stainless rings. Ruger rings," I'm all in". RJ

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some places online still have standard walnut/blued Hawkeye in certain cartridges. Or at least TSSWarehouse did as of a couple weeks ago.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Goosey

They have a history of discontinuing stuff when there's a bunch unsold out in the world. Likely they'll be back, in one form or another, if there's truly a demand. I suspect the days when companies continue to crank out the same old stuff so it can sit on dealer shelves for months or years is over. They can probably click on a link and know what's out there in seconds. Moral is, is you see something you really like, buy it.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by peterthomas
I love the Ruger ring design. There are definitely aspects that are less than ideal, especially when trying to achieve tiny groups, but the simplicity of the setup and the lack of dedicated bases combined with some of the most heavy-duty rings in the business make for a great hard-use rifle. The simple fact that I did not have to buy rings or bases when purchasing a rifle was a huge positive for me.

I personally cannot stand Picatinny rails obstructing the action of my rifle and I am sad to hear that Ruger is discontinuing the Standard Hawkeye. It seems that the market is moving the way of the target shooter for the time being.

Maybe when it comes back to the middle Ruger will re-release the Compact Magnum in .308.

You have to buy the rings separately now add ing about $85.00 to the cost of the rifle if you don't like the rail!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Switch

You have to buy the rings separately now add ing about $85.00 to the cost of the rifle if you don't like the rail!
Big spender. Ruger factory stainless rings -- as in a PAIR -- are available for under $65 from Brownell's. Free shipping for purchases over $49 today.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
[quote=peterthomas]I love the Ruger ring design. There are definitely aspects that are less than ideal, especially when trying to achieve tiny groups, but the simplicity of the setup and the lack of dedicated bases combined with some of the most heavy-duty rings in the business make for a great hard-use rifle. The simple fact that I did not have to buy rings or bases when purchasing a rifle was a huge positive for me.

Big spender. Ruger factory stainless rings -- as in a PAIR -- are available for under $65 from Brownell's. Free shipping for purchases over $49 today.[/quote

Still raises the price of the rifle $65.00, who's the BIG SPENDER?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Big spender. Ruger factory stainless rings -- as in a PAIR -- are available for under $65 from Brownell's. Free shipping for purchases over $49 today.
Are you interested in buying one or just posting clueless garbage? The point escaped you; you're so damned out of touch, you have no idea what the actual selling price of the rings is and no idea about a lot of things. Like having to buy bases and rings for most other rifles. I suppose you thought that stuff was all gratis.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Are you interested in buying one or just posting clueless garbage? The point escaped you; you're so damned out of touch, you have no idea what the actual selling price of the rings is and no idea about a lot of things. Like having to buy bases and rings for most other rifles. I suppose you thought that stuff was all gratis.

THIS IS WHY THIS SITE HAS THE IGNORE FEATURE! Just a cranky moron looking for a beef.

Last edited by Switch; 01/17/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anyone know if the squooz the prc into their short action or if it's on the long action? I'd like a hunter in prc.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,292 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.