Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 34 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 33 34
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Can you prove that you are the person who writes checks in your name? The very idea (the assumption) that you are you is an idea held on the basis of "faith". It cannot, in the final analysis, be empirically demonstrated. Likewise, the belief in the metaphysical freedom of

Except modern philosophy teaches us that genuine knowledge of the external world is impossible to have. You are an adherent of that philosophy but you patronize theism (in your claim to have genuine knowledge of the external world) without even knowing you are doing it! This is why you are like the Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars!

Man, that is some new age hippy BS!

It is time to toss those Philosophy texts and buy some Physics texts.

We already addressed the concept of empirical evidence. Any high school graduate who mastered his Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses knows how to observe his surroundings.
It's only a basis of Ontology. Prove that you exist. In Trekkie terms how do you know that you, and all around you including all of physics, isn't a few lines of code in some alien simulation. If you can't prove that you exist using logic than you can't prove anything.

And new age hippy BS? It come from only about 300 BC.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
[That's a value judgment, not a refutation of what was said.

Either he's disingenuous or dumb as a box of rocks if he's truly propounding that "argument." An intelligent 5th grader should be able to blow that one away.

Well then, instead of all the huffing and puffing and displays of outrage, that should be done. Saying is not the same as doing.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Can you prove that you are the person who writes checks in your name? The very idea (the assumption) that you are you is an idea held on the basis of "faith". It cannot, in the final analysis, be empirically demonstrated. Likewise, the belief in the metaphysical freedom of

Except modern philosophy teaches us that genuine knowledge of the external world is impossible to have. You are an adherent of that philosophy but you patronize theism (in your claim to have genuine knowledge of the external world) without even knowing you are doing it! This is why you are like the Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars!

Man, that is some new age hippy BS!

It is time to toss those Philosophy texts and buy some Physics texts.

We already addressed the concept of empirical evidence. Any high school graduate who mastered his Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses knows how to observe his surroundings.
It's only a basis of Ontology. Prove that you exist. In Trekkie terms how do you know that you, and all around you including all of physics, isn't a few lines of code in some alien simulation. If you can't prove that you exist using logic than you can't prove anything.

And new age hippy BS? It come from only about 300 BC.

Solipsism.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did it before, Starman is recycling his BS.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Solipsism.

OK. Using logic prove you exist.

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didn't see it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Short version: What's the purpose of the bible, to teach morals or physic? And why can't it use literary devices to do so?

Which explains a lot.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Or is its purpose solely to keep peasants under heel and priests fat and happy?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go sell your conspiracy theory to Rachel Maddow. Though I doubt even Rachel would touch that one.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Solipsism.

Cogito ergo sum.

IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Or is its purpose solely to keep peasants under heel and priests fat and happy?

This.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Solipsism.

Cogito ergo sum.

Classic circular argument. You have to presume you exist before you can state that you think. Try again.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Solipsism.

Cogito ergo sum.

Classic circular argument. You have to presume you exist before you can state that you think. Try again.

No need, in order to think one must necessarily exist. Something that does not exist, cannot think. Not everything that is circular is a fallacy....Google that and stick it in your pipe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're not thinking, it's all programmed into the simulation.

Which explains a lot.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DBT
Solipsism.

No logic needed. Empirical evidence is sufficient and abounds. Look in the mirror!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You're not thinking, it's all programmed into the simulation.

That is a fallacy...why you ask? Well, because even a simulation is something rather than nothing. Once it is established that something rather than nothing exists - cogito ergo sum - it's only a matter of exploring what that something might be.

Last edited by DBT; 01/17/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A simulation is not a single independent being capable of rational thought, what the ancient Greeks thought of as a person, and has persisted as a basis of Western thought.

So a simulation exists, is it capable of thought? There was a computer program called Eliza. It was written to give responses similar to what a psychoanalyst might give. A sizable proportion of users would become so entranced by the responses they would tell their deepest secrets to the computer. Eliza - Cogito ergo sum.?

So we're back to

I think
(which presupposes that there is something capable of thinking)
Therefore I am
(Which we had to presuppose to assert "I think" as a truth

Which is not a proof but a restatement of the presupposition. And that, strangely enough, is the solution to the riddle. We cannot prove we exist, it must be an a priori, before anything else, assumed that we exist (as independent beings capable of rational thought). Not so horrible an assumption, I don't think you would find many who would disagree with it.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A simulation is not a single independent being capable of rational thought, what the ancient Greeks thought of as a person, and has persisted as a basis of Western thought.

So a simulation exists, is it capable of thought? There was a computer program called Eliza. It was written to give responses similar to what a psychoanalyst might give. A sizable proportion of users would become so entranced by the responses they would tell their deepest secrets to the computer. Eliza - Cogito ergo sum.?

So we're back to

I think
(which presupposes that there is something capable of thinking)
Therefore I am
(Which we had to presuppose to assert "I think" as a truth

Which is not a proof but a restatement of the presupposition. And that, strangely enough, is the solution to the riddle. We cannot prove we exist, it must be an a priori, before anything else, assumed that we exist (as independent beings capable of rational thought). Not so horrible a proposition, I don't think you would find many who would disagree with it.

A simulation, if sufficiently complex may have characters with independent processors/brains, senses and algorithms that enable decision making....some propose that our universe could be one of countless quantum simulations being generated by super advanced civilizations.

Which, if true, is still something rather than nothing.

Last edited by DBT; 01/17/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have written simulations. They all follow rules (algorithms) that I have dictated by my code, they are capable of nothing more. They are not independent but extensions of myself which would be unnecessary if I could do simple transformations that fast.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have written simulations. They all follow rules (algorithms) that I have dictated by my code, they are capable of nothing more. They are not independent but extensions of myself which would be unnecessary if I could do simple transformations that fast.

Nobody is talking about current technology, current processing power or current capability. Think quantum computing and a few thousand years of technological .progress

Page 26 of 34 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 16gage, 50 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,631
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.