D
I’d throw some of it in oil & gas.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
I’d throw some of it in oil & gas.

+1

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I invested a whole bunch in pussy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 25% of my money in what TIAA calls an annuity. It has guaranteed 3.3% return. That is my "safe" investment. I think the only string attached to that fund is I can only take out 10% a year when the time comes to retire, or maybe only move 10% a year. Again I am not 100% sure on that.
I am not retired, and I can move money in different rick associated funds, but it has to stay in TIAA hands for a few more years until I retire.
So for a "safe" investment is 3.3 % OK?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terry, in my opinion, the 3.3% yield by itself does not mean "safety." If you do not understand your investment, then IMO, it is not safe for you.

Annuities are underwritten by insurance companies. Insurance companies have a general track record of being reliable and sound financial institutions. The general consensus of most of the reading I have done on annuities is that they are relatively "safe" and proven income sources (as opposed to equities and bonds) that you cannot outlive, and which are best utilized to pay for the recurring needs of one's life, such a food, shelter, clothing, utilities and services, transportation, and insurance. These are the type of recurring "bills" one must pay for, over the course of one's life. Interestingly enough, it is the stock market where insurance companies make their profits.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Sure are a lot of posters swearing by index funds. They are great, but the O.P. is in it for 3 yrs and index funds are not good 3 year investments. In 3 yrs we could see these index funds down 30 % , easy. Index funds are 10 yr. minimum time frame, , , maybe 5 yrs. It is an investment that needs
" time in the market" . There are also many annuities. Not all are bad , but most are very expensive. My parents bought 2 annuities from a " friend" 20 yrs ago ( He was loaded too.) . I took a look at them last year . One was charging 5% and 2.25% every year if the funds made a certain amount of money. I figured they gave back half the gains. A closer look told me they were there funds. One was a Nasdaq , a Dow Jones and and S&P 500 fund that was home made by them so it would be hidden what kind of fund it really was. I noticed there was a 2% turnover rate for one. Proof it was just an index fund. I was furious.

Last edited by ihookem; 01/16/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by broomd
Where would you put 100-200K right now in this bull market for a *shorter term* (3-5 year) investment.... Hopefully that isn't a contradiction in terms.
I'm thinking annuity, but that brings huge penalties should the opportunity for a real estate investment present itself.

Any 'best stock' picks going forward in 2020?

Life settlements/viaticals.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have 25% of my money in what TIAA calls an annuity. It has guaranteed 3.3% return. That is my "safe" investment. I think the only string attached to that fund is I can only take out 10% a year when the time comes to retire, or maybe only move 10% a year. Again I am not 100% sure on that.
I am not retired, and I can move money in different rick associated funds, but it has to stay in TIAA hands for a few more years until I retire.
So for a "safe" investment is 3.3 % OK?

The problem is, it’s not safe. Today we live in the lowest inflation economic environment in two lifetimes.... and 3.3% just barely keeps up with that.

Where is inflation going to go? Any tick up to historically “normal” levels leaves you actually losing money, AND you can’t get out!

That’s not safe.

I’m not at all a fan of annuities, but anything in that whole barrel of fish hooks you buy should at least be inflation indexed.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Life settlements/viaticals.

Good grief.

https://www.bankers-anonymous.com/blog/how-not-to-invest-viaticals/

Last edited by AKwolverine; 01/16/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m heavily invested in the raccoon market it’s a winner for sure

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Vanguard funds

Solid advice. NEVER an annuity.

interesting,
bought two of them in the last six months, and am perfectly happy.
fixed interest rates, higher than any of the banks.

Mortality crap shoot.

not even close to being accurate

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by exbiologist
If I needed that in 3-5 years, I’d be hesitant to even do an index fund. More like a dividend income fund of mature stocks that pay out well, or REITs

I like this advice - in 3-5 years we could have a democrat in the White House. Heaven help us if that is the case.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why isn't this 17 pages yet? smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Vanguard funds

Solid advice. NEVER an annuity.

interesting,
bought two of them in the last six months, and am perfectly happy.
fixed interest rates, higher than any of the banks.

Mortality crap shoot.

not even close to being accurate

You must sell this junk.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
. . The problem is, it’s not safe. Today we live in the lowest inflation economic environment in two lifetimes.... and 3.3% just barely keeps up with that. Where is inflation going to go? Any tick up to historically “normal” levels leaves you actually losing money, AND you can’t get out!
That’s not safe. I’m not at all a fan of annuities, but anything in that whole barrel of fish hooks you buy should at least be inflation indexed.

One can purchase "inflation protection" inside one's annuity. There are so many "options" available with annuities, they cannot be adequately discussed in a campfire thread. Interestingly enough, there are only a handful of insurance companies who write the vast majority of annuities. Bottom line is that annuities can provide lifetime income certain, and that is a financial situation for which many are searching and willing to pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
There are so many "options" available with annuities, they cannot be adequately discussed in a campfire thread.

And better not to bother discussing them because they all suck. If an investment is consistently bad enough that it makes sense to buy insurance against it not even keeping up with inflation it is the jewiest of jewscams and you should avoid it and anyone who suggests you buy it.

OP, if your plan is to buy and hold don’t do that. If you absolutely are going to regardless just buy a total stock market index fund like VTSMX or VTSAX or FSKAX or the like.

If you are fine with active trading but don’t want to be bothered doing it, open an account with a roboadvisor that has good tax loss harvesting. Pick a risk profile you like and go. If you change your mind about risk, just change your risk profile on the fly. Places like Wealthfront and Betterment do well at this and aren’t expensive.

It doesn’t seem like you want to be more active than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stickfight
And better not to bother discussing them because they all suck.

Is this your personal opinion? If so, on what do you base it? And what is your objective definition of "suck." Overall a pretty sophomoric comment, IMHBAO, in what could be an informative thread.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd select a 60/40% Asset Allocation fund to get a balance of growth and safety. Depending on your time frame, you might want a 70/30% or a 50/50% fund. Pick one with a lo expense ratio (costs can eat your growth over the long run). Vangard offers some good ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Is this your personal opinion?

I posted it, who else’s do you think it could be?

I’m sure your struggles with the English language are legendary so I’ll leave it up to you to unravel what “suck” means in this context. Here is a hint:

Q - why did sales of annuities fall off significantly after brokers were required to act as fiduciaries?
A - because annuities suck

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Get a fiduciary.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (320090T, 303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,518
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.