-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The scientific way to determine this is to leave the oil in until the engine fails. Then replace the engine and always change the oil a few miles short of that point. Sort of like determining the weight limit on a bridge.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by aalf
I run Mobil 1 and Wix filters, change the filter at 5K, oil and filter at 10K.

aalf -- I've noticed that many filters are smaller than they used to be.
A filter can only absorb so much. Something to think about.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2003 Toyota 4runner, 205,000 miles. Changed oil and filter every 10,000 miles. Does not use oil or leak oil. Used it a bunch for hunting and fishing. Now 100% asphalt driven. Such a great old V8 engine.

2015 Toy Tundra 5.7 liter non-flex fuel, 90,000 miles. Changed oil and filter every 10,000 miles. Does not use or leak oil. Runs great and runs offroad often hunting.

2018 Toy 4runner, 40,000 miles. Changed oil and filter every 10,000 miles so far. Does not use or leak oil. Runs great and probably 98% hwy driven.

So for me and my Toyota collection, it'll be the factory recommended 10,000 mile interval with full synthetic.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ihookem
Run the oil 7,500 mi. and get an oil test. That is the true answer. I have run my Amsoil for 46,000 miles with an oil filter change every 15,000. The oil was still good at 46,000 mi. but the numbers were getting a bit high. I went with Amsoil again and went 39,000 mi. and by then the test said it was 80% of the maximum allowed for oxidation so I changed it. You can so easily go 10,000 miles. My GMC diesel computer is like clock work, every 10,000 miles. Now I use Shell Rotella T6 and change every 15,000 or so but use a mobil 1 oil filter. Keep your air filter clean and you wont ever have a problem unless you are in dusty roads.

Ding ding ding. If it works for multi-million dollar machinery and Jet engines, I bet it will work for an extremely complicated combustion engine.

Look up Blackstone Labs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Depends on driving conditions. Every manual has normal and severe service tables.

And it's always very clear what constitutes normal and severe too. If you do a lot of stop and go driving or a lot of highway miles, it's severe. Everything else, which is nothing, is normal.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Chev 1.4 goes 6000, and has the gauge thing. So far it is only slightly darker at change, mostly town short trips. The advantage of synthetic was supposed to be longer life.
I did persuade them to change the first at 1000, even if they dont claim a need of break in any more
A shop wanted the sorento 3000 or 3 months--no way will i go back there that is not even factory severe requirement. The old f150 gets around 5000.
How much oil does it hold and how good is the filter?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by McInnis
I bought a new Toyota Highlander last year. Part of the deal is that it came with free scheduled maintenance for the first two years. So I just took it in for the first 5,000 mile/6 month checkup and learned that an oil change was not included. The manager said that Toyota has changed their policy to that oil changes now occur at 10,000 mile intervals. I know they use synthetic oil, but that seems like an awfully long interval especially for a new car. I'm considering changing it on my own, but maybe 10,000 is OK? I know things change. When I first started driving spark plugs weren't expected to last for more than about 30,000 miles. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I would go by what the manual says while your truck is under warranty. If it says 5k, that is probably what they would use to try and weasel out of doing warranty work on your vehicle if something were to go wrong. So change it at 5k even if you have to pay. If it says 10k let them change it at 10k.

Sounds like they are already trying to weasel out of the service plan you were supposed to get. The "policy change" could be just your dealer trying to save a few bucks and not Toyota.

You stand about as much chance of getting abducted by ET and taken to another planet than an honest to goodness oil related engine failure based on not changing it often enough happening to you at either interval. But to get out of warranty work they may try and blame a "design flaw" that no one knows about now on it.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
... You stand about as much chance of getting abducted by ET and taken to another planet than an honest to goodness oil related engine failure based on not changing it often enough happening to you at either interval...

Unless, of course, you use Fram filters.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My daily driver is a 2013 Toyota Avalon that sees almost exclusively highway miles for long stints.
It sees OE oil, OE filter and gets serviced every 10K at the dealer.

I'm not going to bother fooling with doing an oil change for $50.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a new Toyota Highlander last year. Part of the deal is that it came with free scheduled maintenance for the first two years. So I just took it in for the first 5,000 mile/6 month checkup and learned that an oil change was not included. The manager said that Toyota has changed their policy to that oil changes now occur at 10,000 mile intervals. I know they use synthetic oil, but that seems like an awfully long interval especially for a new car. I'm considering changing it on my own, but maybe 10,000 is OK? I know things change. When I first started driving spark plugs weren't expected to last for more than about 30,000 miles. Anyone have thoughts on this?

16,000 km is ridiculous !

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
32.774 pages, minumum.

Ahem.

Anyway, Toyota told me the same thing in 2016 with my Camry. I've no doubt the full synthetic oils are better. I've also no doubt that Toyota & the dealers would like to save $. My gut told me they're betting that they can get the cars to the end of the factory warranty with 10K oil changes, and that's the end of what they have to stand behind.

You'll no doubt get lots of advice of what intervals to use. You're smart enough to know that highway miles are way easier on a car than city driving, and that short trips are hard on oil, especially in cold weather. Perhaps your Highlander has a GDI engine, and you're leery that might dilute the oil, so you go more conservatively on the OCI's. You could eyeball it. You could send samples of every batch to Blackstone for analysis. In the end, you'll pick a point on the spectrum where you feel most comfortable. And you'll be exactly right - for you.

After discussing it with my mechanic of 27 years, I settled on 7,500 mile intervals, paying for it myself at the mechanic when Toyota's "free maintenance" coupons wouldn't. I'll never know if I've been throwing $ away, but I figure the extra cost aint breaking me, and the peace of mind feels like a bargain.

Good Luck,

FC

FC, for a bald guy, you're smarter than you look ! grin

Originally Posted by Musicianized
No way Id go over 5k..

Yep, me too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
With synthetic oil 10K oil changes are conservative. You can probably go longer. I've been doing 10K on my 2007 Tacoma since new. I'm at 202,000 miles now with no oil consumption between changes. I do the same with my F150 and Honda. They have well over 200K combined.

There are lots of guys over at the Tacoma forum with over 400K on their trucks that used 10k intervals. There is a guy in NC who got 880,000 out of his 1st engine with 10K oil changes. It was still fine internally, but needed a new head gasket. Rather than repair the old engine he bought one from a scrapyard with 100K on it. He is over 1.3 million miles now and still changing oil at 10K. Actually, he doesn't change at a certain mileage, just once/month. But he averages driving 10,000 miles each month.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My 19 Duramax diesel has the oil life gage on it. It goes below 20% left when I hit about 3000 miles. Warranty covers my oil changes and the dealer abides by the gage.

Shorter mileage spans between oil changes will never hurt you.Longer ones just might.

+1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
With synthetic oil 10K oil changes are conservative. You can probably go longer. I've been doing 10K on my 2007 Tacoma since new. I'm at 202,000 miles now with no oil consumption between changes. I do the same with my F150 and Honda. They have well over 200K combined.

There are lots of guys over at the Tacoma forum with over 400K on their trucks that used 10k intervals. There is a guy in NC who got 880,000 out of his 1st engine with 10K oil changes. It was still fine internally, but needed a new head gasket. Rather than repair the old engine he bought one from a scrapyard with 100K on it. He is over 1.3 million miles now and still changing oil at 10K. Actually, he doesn't change at a certain mileage, just once/month. But he averages driving 10,000 miles each month.

That's fine, but I just changed my 2004 Taco oil after 7,000 miles (230,000 on the truck now) and that chit was old and smelled bad (mobil1 full synthetic). I generally change it every 5,000, but got lazy and let it go. The engine was not running or sounding as smooth as normal, so I wanted to change it. After the fresh oil, it's smooth and quiet like it should be. I don't trust mine running more than about 6,000 miles, but that's just me. No need to wreck an engine and changing it every 5,000 isn't going to hurt it... I also agree that it depends on your driving habbits. I drive mine like I stole it, not like I'm driving miss daisy....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What really sucks is that some motors suck in humid air during the heat up cool down cycle... so even if you haven’t driven a lot the oil can get impurities in it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We bought a new Camry in 2016 and they included the maintenance plan till 75k. 10k intervals for oil change, it now has 100k on it and uses zero oil and mileage has actually improved. I now do my own oil changes using Mobil 1

2008 Duramax has 350k on it, 10k interval using Wix and rotella T6. It will be a quart low at each change. Mileage has slipped about 2 mpg in the last year but still hanging around 17-18 mpg

CK
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

..........Yep, I had the same dealer oil change program with my bought new 2015 Ram....However for the first two years of freebie dealer oil changes, my oil change intervals were every 6K miles because the Ram dealer used Mopar regular non synthetic oil. For the last nearly 3 years since my free oil changes ceased, I have been using Amsoil Signature Series changing oil every 15K miles.....Changing oil every 10K miles is no problem IF using a FULL SYNTHETIC OIL of high quality.....Factory spark plugs of today are designed for extremely long life 75K and beyond...Cars and trucks are not the same now as many years ago. They run much cleaner using todays cleaner gas...If u check your owners manual I'll wager that your first plug change is due at around the 100K mark like my Ram Hemi.....As a tip I pour a combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner made by Amsoil into the tank every 5K miles....NOPE...No need to change plugs every 15K to 30k like the old days.....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Full Synthetic, weight per engine requirements.

5,000 mi.

I'm sure others know as well.

Manufacturers change things such as oil ports etc. and have gone to THINNER oils --> Farther distance on changes.........

IMO, that increases wear.

YMMV

Yep, new fuggin Toyota's are now running 0W 16, like I can buy that in my remote location.

Of course, this is after me installing a bulk tank & automated pump for 0w 20 !

Phouc !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That’s the same for our 2013 Toyota. My Dodge Cummins (running synthetic) with all of the emissions stuff lost, goes around 25,000 mile between oil changes.....filters about every 6,000! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/17/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
My daily driver is a 2013 Toyota Avalon that sees almost exclusively highway miles for long stints.
It sees OE oil, OE filter and gets serviced every 10K at the dealer.

I'm not going to bother fooling with doing an oil change for $50.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2015 Chevy Silverado. Takes 8.5 qts Dexos1 0-20 full synthetic. I have it changed @ about 7000 miles, 5% on the oil life remaining monitor.

Chevy dealer........Change oil and filter, rotate tires, check and top off fluids, multi point inspection. $60 while I wait, about 45 minutes. Best deal since sliced bread.

Ed
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

..........Yep, I had the same dealer oil change program with my bought new 2015 Ram....However for the first two years of freebie dealer oil changes, my oil change intervals were every 6K miles because the Ram dealer used Mopar regular non synthetic oil. For the last nearly 3 years since my free oil changes ceased, I have been using Amsoil Signature Series changing oil every 15K miles.....Changing oil every 10K miles is no problem IF using a FULL SYNTHETIC OIL of high quality.....Factory spark plugs of today are designed for extremely long life 75K and beyond...Cars and trucks are not the same now as many years ago. They run much cleaner using todays cleaner gas...If u check your owners manual I'll wager that your first plug change is due at around the 100K mark like my Ram Hemi.....As a tip I pour a combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner made by Amsoil into the tank every 5K miles....NOPE...No need to change plugs every 15K to 30k like the old days.....

Some of the newer Dodges are still running copper plugs and recommended change is 30,000

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.