Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi campers..

I just bought my first bolt action rifle and I will be breaking her in and need to know what products I am going to need and ahould be using.

Apparently gun cleaning has come a long ways. I've nevernused anything on my guns except for sectional aluminum rods, brushes, patch holders, patches, Hoppes 9 and oil...

Apparently I need a one piece rod, a bore guide and countless different patches, plugs, jags, carbon solvent, copper solvent.. etc..

I have a 6.5 CM.. I want to break it in right doing a cleaning after each shot for 10 and then every other shot for 10.. is there a particular kit that comes with everything less a rod, or should I buy items separately? What exactly should I buy?

You can lead a horse...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You'll want a good one-piece rod like a Dewey, a bore guide, a jag, and for break-in you'll need a single patch. To break the barrel in, run the dry patch down the bore, shoot the rifle. A lot. When accuracy declines, clean the bore using Wipe-Out. I would bet that more damage is done to barrels by people using break-in procedures, than any amount of benefit gained.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You'll want a good one-piece rod like a Dewey, a bore guide, a jag, and for break-in you'll need a single patch. To break the barrel in, run the dry patch down the bore, shoot the rifle. A lot. When accuracy declines, clean the bore using Wipe-Out. I would bet that more damage is done to barrels by people using break-in procedures, than any amount of benefit gained.

Hate to sound like a broken record... but this ^^^

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I was just going by manufacturer recommendations lol..

You can lead a horse...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Waiting on the obligatory stick video ...

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Yep, what Jordan said. I have gone the recommended procedures before but will never again will I waste time, ammo and barrel life to do it.

Now some barrels, maybe most, need 50 to 200 rounds down them before they shoot to their potential but that is true whether you shoot and clean or just shoot, in my opinion.

Last edited by VaHunter; 01/18/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I will just touch on cleaning.
Jags I use both Montana Extreme and Boretech proof positive which eliminates false positives for copper.
Cleaning Rod, I have Dewey, Boretech and Montana Extreme. Don’t really like the Dewey as they use brass which again can give false positives.
Bore guides I use Possum Hollow.

Swifty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Funny to check out the forum and see this topic. I literally just done this today. Spent a few hours sighting in and breaking in the barrel. I have done this for new rifles for many years now. As I told my wife this morning some people think there is nothing to this and others swear by it and that it makes a difference. When I come across a new rifle that I like and plan to keep I break in the barrel. if theres nothing to it then I've lost nothing. I enjoy shooting.and if there is something to it then I gained all I could by doing it and it gives me peace of mind knowing I done it. I used factory rounds to break in and sight in with. The last 3 factory sight in shots were under and inch. So my last 3 shots of the day I used a load I had already established in other 300 win mags. The result was a 3 shot group of .736" I was tickled and pleased with it.

Last edited by Bearbuck; 01/18/20. Reason: Corrections

Bearbuck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, make yourself a drink. Whiskey on ice is preferred.
Second, have a bowl of chili. With beans, of course.
Third, change the oil on your truck with full synthetic and an OEM filter,

Now we're ready to start talking about barrel break-in.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearbuck
sighted in at 2 inches high at 10 yards

Originally Posted by Bearbuck
Spent a few hours sighting in and breaking in the barrel. I have done this for new rifles for many years now. I used factory rounds to break in and sight in with. The last 3 factory sight in shots were under and inch. So my last 3 shots of the day I used a load I had already established in other 300 win mags. The result was a 3 shot group of .736" I was tickled and pleased with it.

Shirley you could have done better than .736 at 10 yards, with factory ammo?

Last edited by huntsman22; 01/18/20.
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah i got me a little break-in procedure for a new rifle, it may or may not matter but i feel better about doing it, plus i enjoy it!.....Good luck with your new rifle 👍.....Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No that 2 inches at 10 yards was a post from last night. I couldn't use my regular bore sighter because the muzzle brake length. So I was trying bore sight it the old way of looking through the bore at a spot on the wall and moving the scope to it. I had never done it that way. The furthest distance i could get inside was 10 yards and couldmt get the scope to adjust anymore elevation than 2 inches above the spot. So I was trying to get an idea from someone on where that would be at 100 yards.
Today I was able to actually go to the range and when I put the target first at 50 yards, I was able to bore sight it easy. Then I went through the sight in and break in procedure and finished up with that 3 shot group of .736" at 100 yards.

Bearbuck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like to sue Wipeout or Montana Extreme "first", get that barrel down to bare metal. I then mop it with EezOx. I let it sit overnight. At the range, using factory ammo usually, I shoot one ( while I'm zeroing my scope" ) and run a Bore Snake wet with EezOx a few times. I do that until I get my scope set, or 10 times, whatever comes first. Then I only do that after about 12-15 rds. Easy cheesy. But agree, if you use precautions ( bore guide, clean from rear) nothing wrong with doing it anyway you like! I believe that very few "Hunting" rifles are built tight enough to tell the difference. Then, everyone who shoots from a benchrest is just a big sack of chemicals with a thumping gizzard! ha Some hunters can shoot tight groups , same can't. If you get "consistent" 1 1/2" three shot groups, you have an accurate set up. The key is "consistent". One inch is really accurate! Under that gives all riflemen a good feeling...down deep in our soul! smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,723
Posts18,514,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.