Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had a few, now moving to were I will need a good saw for heat. Mcculloch's and a Poulan. both were OK for very light work. Borrowed a friends Johnsrud when I had Oak wilt dieses' hit my land. 14 mature Oaks. That saw ripped through all. Thinking Echo right now.

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 394 husqvarna that I cooked the engine on, so I needed an engine, so my buddy gave me one that he found in the dump. I put it in and 2 pulls later it was running, 20 years later it still runs after cutting about 1000 cords of wood and falling timber in my spare time. laugh
I still have the saw as a spare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been a while and just trying to figure out this pic thing.

Attached Images
20200515_214730.jpg (23.55 KB, 96 downloads)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have had a few, now moving to were I will need a good saw for heat. Mcculloch's and a Poulan. both were OK for very light work. Borrowed a friends Johnsrud when I had Oak wilt dieses' hit my land. 14 mature Oaks. That saw ripped through all. Thinking Echo right now.

Did you like the Jonsered? I hope you had a good time with it because Jonsered is Bye Bye. The local saw shop is a Jonsered dealer. Last week the guy told me that Jonsered is no longer manufactured. He still has 5 new Jonsereds on the shelf for sale.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Find one made in China. Loan it to your neighbors. They won't bother you much later on.

Chortle!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Did you like the Jonsered? I hope you had a good time with it because Jonsered is Bye Bye. The local saw shop is a Jonsered dealer. Last week the guy told me that Jonsered is no longer manufactured. He still has 5 new Jonsereds on the shelf for sale.

I got rid of a perfectly good Jonsereds 70E exactly because you cant get parts anymore for them, except used. Never needed parts, always ran like a jet plane, but the day was coming where something was gonna go wrong and I just wanted to get ahead of that. Sold it for a premiuum. That was a badazz saw. I bought in early 1980 something..

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a Stihl 028 Wood Boss in 1984. If I ever wear it out I'll get another Stihl.

First saws I ever used were my father's old Stihl 032 AV and 020 AV from the 70's (old enough they were blue and white instead of orange). Couple of great saws in their day, but did get worn out.

Bonus now is the local Stihl dealer is only about a mile away and has a good owner and staff. They'll even take in saws on trade, running or not. Some they resell, some get used for parts for other old saws.

Last edited by MikeL2; 05/16/20.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I just bought an Echo 40cc. Was looking for a (against all my prejudice against them) "easy start" Stihl of similar size, but none of the 3 dealers locally had what I wanted in stock ("2 weeks out"). Home Depot had 2 of the Echos, and I needed it that weekend for a guest cutter, who couldn't make it, at the last minute, after all .

Maybe it will grow on me - but after a couple trees, I fired up the Jonsered 2050 Turbo again. Much better saw, until it bites the big one for lack of parts.

Both take 4-5 choke pulls until it coughs, then one or two more to fire up. I can live with that.... I am not very impressed with that slender 18 inch bar on the Echo, but maybe I can replace it with a beafier Oregon or something.

Ialso have a smaller (320?) Echo that I picked up for almost nothing that won't hold the chain on, then burrs up the chain.. Worth less than I paid for it, but I might have better luck with a better chain and maybe bar.. We'll see. Wife has been bugging me for a light saw of her own, and that might be it, but I'm thinking battery operated for her. she'll probably never use it but once anyway... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.