Hop To
#13810838 05/11/19
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
How are Northfork bullets for " fussy " ?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Not fussy at ALL. I shoot em in my 338 (and 270 when I take it) for elk and they perform very well accuracy wise. John Barsness suggested that I do initial load development with a Hornady bullet, see which powder the rifle prefers and only then, refine the load with NF’s. That was great advice, given that NF’s are so $$$$. I found my 338 and 270 liked RL-19 and RL-26 respectively. Both rifles shot between .4” and .5” groups at 100 yards which I considered outstanding. There was nothing fussy or challenging about load workup. Didn’t have to play games with seating depth, etc. Pressures were just fine, I suspect because of the bands cut into the bullets.....never a single instance of pressure signs.

Terminal performance on elk was other worldly. It flattened every elk shot...quickly. Recovered bullets are all classic, picture worthy, mushrooms with very high weight retention.

Try em.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will second that non-fussiness. Work great in all the calibers I've tried.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Not fussy at ALL. I shoot em in my 338 (and 270 when I take it) for elk and they perform very well accuracy wise. John Barsness suggested that I do initial load development with a Hornady bullet, see which powder the rifle prefers and only then, refine the load with NF’s. That was great advice, given that NF’s are so $$$$. I found my 338 and 270 liked RL-19 and RL-26 respectively. Both rifles shot between .4” and .5” groups at 100 yards which I considered outstanding. There was nothing fussy or challenging about load workup. Didn’t have to play games with seating depth, etc. Pressures were just fine, I suspect because of the bands cut into the bullets.....never a single instance of pressure signs.

Terminal performance on elk was other worldly. It flattened every elk shot...quickly. Recovered bullets are all classic, picture worthy, mushrooms with very high weight retention.

Try em.

The 270 is what I'm looking at. The 150 grain to be exact. My rifle likes 150s, be it Hornady or Game King.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
270 150 grain is what I used in that case.

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
What are you trying to kill?Those bullets seem like a whole lot of nothing.They are a barnes bullet made from lead.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
No...nothing like a Barnes.

More like the old recipie Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, only better.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I would have to think the Northfork would open to maximum dimension, at lower impact velocities. The Tippped Trophy Bonded was pretty intriguing, but for whatever reason, they consistently grouped to the right for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good bullets. They just have to get on board with the BC issue man......

I mean not ELD-X BC but at least Nosler Partition BC or the sort.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I hear ya brother. I really like the old Grand Slams. Kinda blunt as well. I'm down to 8 or 10 of each,130 & 150 grain .277s. I've got a bunch of the new generation jobbies.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How do they perform compared to a Woodleigh? Softer, harder? In my informal trials, the Woodleigh opens quite wide. Definitely wider than an Accubond.

Last edited by prm; 05/14/19.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Fotis
Good bullets. They just have to get on board with the BC issue man......

I mean not ELD-X BC but at least Nosler Partition BC or the sort.

The bc issue is not that big of a deal with me. Part of their strong terminal performance is attributed to their less than pointy profile.

When I’m getting 0.4” groups out of my Sako 338 (1968 vintage) I give the bullet a break over it’s less than stellar bc. NF doesn’t even bother to compute bc’s for their bullets. I just put in real world range time and chart my drops from 100 to 500 yards on the range and I’m good to go. Using a computer ballistics program I was able to “reverse engineer “ the data and come up with a bc which was a useless endeavor since I’m had already charted the drops.

The closest I’ve shot a bull with the NF’s was 110 yards, the furthest was 351 yards. Same results on all shots. Bang, flop. Right there. Recovered bullets all looked the same...nice mushroom.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
How do they perform compared to a Woodleigh? Softer, harder? In my informal trials, the Woodleigh opens quite wide. Definitely wider than an Accubond.

Northforks are an order of magnitude better in my opinion. Sort of an improved A Frame. Very accurate bullets with high quality control

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by prm

Northforks are an order of magnitude better in my opinion. Sort of an improved A Frame. Very accurate bullets with high quality control

A 200gn at 2700 sounds like good elk medicine! Thanks.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My NF’s are 225 grains moving at ~ 2775 FPS. Nasty killers.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Godogs57; 05/15/19.

J
J
I read in forum North Fork is shutting down. I can say they dont shutting down. I bought all machines and will continue manufacture this great bullets. Agent in US and Canada will be Reloading International. So this bullet will still be available

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorgen - that is great news. When will your version of these bullets become available in the U.S. market?

J
J
Originally Posted by shinbone
Jorgen - that is great news. When will your version of these bullets become available in the U.S. market?

I left around 300 boxes at Mike. http://www.reloadinginternational.com/
He will be the agent for US and Canada market and in some days or weeks he update webpage with what he have home. When machine arrive here i start production so he have what you customer wants.

J
J
Originally Posted by hiamovi
What are you trying to kill?Those bullets seem like a whole lot of nothing.They are a barnes bullet made from lead.

Do you know how North Fork bullets are made?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.