Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
My answer to the Best New Chainsaw is "None of them". Most people don't know that the EPA has phased in emissions regulations on chainsaws and other small handheld engines starting in 2000 and with stricter steps up to 2010. Essentially all of the advertised "improvements" noted by the manufacturers have been developed to meet the emissions standards, at the expense of power and reliability. X-Torq stratified charge, Lean Burn, restricted muffler openings, catalysts in mufflers, locked or restricted carb mixture screws, Auto-Tune fuel injection, etc., etc.

The best saw for me is a pre-2000 pro saw with low hours homeowner use, or one with a fresh rebuild from a reputable shop. Also check out independent non-dealer saw shops that modify post 2000 saws to delete the worst of the EPA features. Talk to local loggers for referrals.

My bigger saw is a1998 Husky 272XP with a recent rebuild, and a 1999 Husky 350 bought new and still running great after building a log cabin and major amounts of firewood.

Show pics of your log cabin please.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One question.

Does Chuck Norris use a chainsaw?

I'd get what he uses.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a new Stihl Farm Boss in January 1999 right after we (myself and 4 other family members) bought a 62 acre "farm". Still have it and use it, albeit not as much as I had planned to when I bought it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Chuck Norris would simply pull a tree out by the roots, and snap the trunk over his knee! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on the other end of the food chain here. I'm on my second throw away saw. First one was a MacCoullough I paid $89.00 for. 'Ran it for 15 years. Now I've got a Poulan. I've had it about 10 years with no hiccups. They don't get used a whole lot-just for cleaning up around the yard and occasionally cutting up a tree. Junk saws, but they work for me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I thought for a while I should get a Poulan to lend out to friends for the occasional down tree or big limb in the yard-

but if they're a good enough friend to borrow a saw, I just go and run the saw myself and let them do the piling and stacking.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm on the other end of the food chain here. I'm on my second throw away saw. First one was a MacCoullough I paid $89.00 for. 'Ran it for 15 years. Now I've got a Poulan. I've had it about 10 years with no hiccups. They don't get used a whole lot-just for cleaning up around the yard and occasionally cutting up a tree. Junk saws, but they work for me.

This is me with probably the same Mac. Starts up every time and does the little work that I ask of it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Chuck Norris would simply pull a tree out by the roots, and snap the trunk over his knee! laugh

Chain saws just let Chuck Norris take care of their needs.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
My answer to the Best New Chainsaw is "None of them". Most people don't know that the EPA has phased in emissions regulations on chainsaws and other small handheld engines starting in 2000 and with stricter steps up to 2010. Essentially all of the advertised "improvements" noted by the manufacturers have been developed to meet the emissions standards, at the expense of power and reliability. X-Torq stratified charge, Lean Burn, restricted muffler openings, catalysts in mufflers, locked or restricted carb mixture screws, Auto-Tune fuel injection, etc., etc.

The best saw for me is a pre-2000 pro saw with low hours homeowner use, or one with a fresh rebuild from a reputable shop. Also check out independent non-dealer saw shops that modify post 2000 saws to delete the worst of the EPA features. Talk to local loggers for referrals.

My bigger saw is a1998 Husky 272XP with a recent rebuild, and a 1999 Husky 350 bought new and still running great after building a log cabin and major amounts of firewood.

My 88 model 028 Super Wood Boss has been a trooper over the past 30+ years.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A terrible thing happened. So embarrassing. My vaunted ECHO 620P got stuck in a giant blown down oak that I was attempting to get off the fence. I mean really stuck in a really big tree. Wedges and a 12 pound sledge were to no avail. My misjudgment and the weight and size of the tree required the use of my 2 valiant unappreciated Stihl chainsaws and about 2 hours to extricate the ECHO saw. To be totally fair my Stihl got stuck just as I freed the Echo so the Echo did get to return the favor. There was no heavy equipment available and my trusty but dangerous high lift jack was too weak to be of help.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The old echo 510 still running like a top. Don’t recall exactly but think mid or late 80’s Dad got it for me. I paid a big chunk of my college dropping oak in Pa after the gypsy moth invasion.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I still think Stihl is the best!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I still think Stihl is the best!

+1

Just got rid of my last three Echos, small "arborist" type saws useful for up to about 6" rounds. I used them for truck saws. All ran fine, they were in continuous use for 20 years and just needed to be sent down the road. Maintenance wise they always seemed to need more care than the Stihls, but i did like the fact that they were otherwise economical to run.

Im culling the herd on my Stihl's now, and want to get down to about 5 or 6. Mostly i use a 170, a MS 261 and an 044. I started in on Stihls in the early 90's and they really grew on me.

The only non-Stihl I still run is an old Jonsereds 70E I bought back new in the early 80's for over 500 bucks which back then was a lot of money for a saw. The thing is a BSH. With a 25 inch bar, you just lay it on whatever needs cutting and pull the trigger. The weight and the revs just do the work, the engine scream reminds me of a souped up Saab. ( Also swedish, right) Never has to buy a spare part for it except a couple screws that vibrated loose somewhere- just bars, chains, plugs and filters. Just run clean fresh ethanol free gas, 40:1 oil mix (the spec) and keep it well policed up after every use, and it just keeps running. Love that almost 40 YO saw!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple echos. Cs300 w/18" bar and a cs800 w/36"bar.

The 800 is a tad underpowered with a 36, should stick with more a 32. 36" works but don't over do it on really big trees.

I love the little 300. After 6 years, it always starts.

Got a 16" homelight I keep at the property. Kinda hard to start but when it starts. Dang thing is great.

My dad has a stihl. Maybe it's just me or it could be his saw. I cant get that thing to fire to save my life. He even struggles to get it going
Stihl makes good stuff and I think his just has a problem.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gophergunner

First one I had was a MacQ-low too. Then I stepped up in life and bought a Pullon. Bought too small so I bought another Pullon. Got really tired of trying to keep the dang thing running and tossed it. Then the clouds parted, an internal voice guided me and I bought an Echo. Like Chris Wallace said about Obumma, I got a tingle up my leg. Kept the Pullon case to put my Echo in so if I left it sitting out nobody would steal it. Been very happy with it as far as starting, vibration, cutting and fuel usage.

edit: And having it in the Pullon case seems to work. I've left it sitting in my driveway overnight (by accident), outside the travel trailer at hunting camp, and in the pull behind trailer even after leaving it unattended when going in the QT for coffee and a doughnut. Seems the thieves take one look at the Pullon case and keep on truckin'.

Last edited by shootem; 01/22/20.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get a damn Stihl and be done with it.

It’s about time for best weed eater thread!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Get a damn Stihl and be done with it.

It’s about time for best weed eater thread!

Would that be a homeowner corded electric model, professional 2 stroke, or perhaps a nice battery operated mid-range weed eater thread you want started?

And what type of safety glasses and hearing protection to use? Personally, I usually have a pair of foam plugs in the tiny pocket of my Wrangler Riggs cargo pants, which are the "best" pants going wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Any of the Stihl or Husky pro grade saws are great and should last a lifetime for a casual user.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I bought a used Stihl 029 Farm Boss (20”) and a Poulan (14”). The Poulan died maybe 8 years ago, but the Farm Boss still runs great (I have had it worked on once). Then I bought a Stihl MS180C to replace the Poulan, but it would eventually overheat and shut down when I worked real big logs. So I swapped it for an MS250. It works great and is lighter than the Farm Boss, which has been putting on weight as I age.

The wife wanted a Stihl electric chainsaw for Christmas (12”), so I got her one. She likes it a lot, though I wouldn’t call it a serious saw. She loves to cut up stuff with that little saw.

My pole saw is an Echo, and it is one frustrating and finicky saw. Cuts good when I get it running, which takes a bit of work.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a 1986 Farm Boss. What a great saw.
Built 2 log cabins with it, and cut a lot of firewood.

Then, I loaned it to my best friend, Bud. He kept it a week.
The day after I got it back, I cranked it up, it ran real fast for 45 seconds, then it conked out.
Bud had filled it with straight gas, no oil.
Destroyed.

That is why I don't lend out tools, especially chain saws.

Bud is not my best friend, any more.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,984
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.