Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
lots of tools available for drilling perpendicular if you are standing up and wood or metal is on a flat surface.

yesterday I was trying to drill a hole on a fire door without removing the door and i made a mess , any jig or tricks you are aware of?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Center punch, sharp drill, start slow, if you want a big hole drill a small pilot hole. And of course see it happen in your minds eye first to anticipate problems.

And measure twice and drill once. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's not straight forward I'll lay it out on my CAD program and print a template.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one like this that I used when I replaced the wood transom in my aluminum boat.
It made lining up the holes for the motor mount perfect.
https://www.garrettwade.com/portable-drill-guide-jig.html

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you are close to the non hinge edge it's easy to rig something like those electric hand drill presses for a table clamped on...

Harder if the door can move around.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by persiandog
lots of tools available for drilling perpendicular if you are standing up and wood or metal is on a flat surface.

yesterday I was trying to drill a hole on a fire door without removing the door and i made a mess , any jig or tricks you are aware of?

Take a flat piece of 3/4" thick steel, put it in a drill vise, then drill a hole through it with a drill press .003" larger than the drill you're going to use on the job you're doing.

Hold the piece of steel with the hole in it flat against whatever you're drilling, then use the hole in the steel as a guide to drill through.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd do it Bristols way

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Paul_M
I have one like this that I used when I replaced the wood transom in my aluminum boat.

That looks slick

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have that jig and it works great. Bristoe’s method works well also and for one or two holes you can use hardwood instead of steel.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
This has been a very informative thread. Thanks.

I have a very similar problem, except in my case, I need to move a hole.......in a walnut Rem 700 stock.

The hole for the front action screw in the stock is out of alignment with the hole in the action by a few 1/100s of an inch. I have pillars coming from PT&G. But I need to figure how to keep the drill from centering on the old hole when I drill oversize for the pillars.

Maybe I can get the machinist at work to do it on his Bridgeport.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
My corded drill has a bubble level at the back and on top. Pretty handy if it’s sorta critical.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

that looks great , i wish i had it. next time i know what to do.

i was surprised when insurance company approved installing a doggy door on a fire door , but it's done and i got a free burger and a hug.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I have a very similar problem, except in my case, I need to move a hole.......in a walnut Rem 700 stock.

The hole for the front action screw in the stock is out of alignment with the hole in the action by a few 1/100s of an inch. I have pillars coming from PT&G. But I need to figure how to keep the drill from centering on the old hole when I drill oversize for the pillars.

A drill will always follow an existing hole. You can do it by chucking up a center cutting end mill in a drill press if you can figure out a good way to hold the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by persiandog
[i was surprised when insurance company approved installing a doggy door on a fire door , but it's done and i got a free burger and a hug.

Accommodating insurance company. That wasn't Flo, was it? grin

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Persiandog, was you drilling for door hardware?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
accommodating insurance company. That wasn't Flo, was it? grin

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Persiandog, was you drilling for door hardware?

may be Flo ,I was doing it for a friend and she wanted to install it on the self-close fire door to the garage and then she has another doggy door from garage into the yard !

self closing doors have spring loaded complicated hinge and not simple as regular ones.

removing the spring loaded hinges is impossible , so the choice was to remove everything and she didn't want to do that.
so the only option was to cut the template while the door is attached and i am sure the company made the door for regular thickness door. so it took almost 6 hours to get it done.

in the company installation video it take less than 2 minutes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88vY3oqmw44

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Irving_D

That looks slick

It is.
I actually had to also drill the holes in the new wood transom that needed to line up the holes in the aluminum hull and then line up with an inside bracket.
Using that allowed me to line up the holes in the aluminum hull, drill thru the wood and the holes then lined up with the inside bracket so when I slipped in the bolts they went straight thru with out any problem.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I made a drill bit guide out of a piece of 1 inch square aluminum bar stock to open up the existing holes on my motorcycle block for timecert inserts. I made the jig square with a vertical milling machine then opened up the holes in the block by hand.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well the right way is to fill, let cure, and redrill.
Short of that, for .03 ( couple is two, few is three, some is four?) You might take a small rat-tail file and work it in the right direction, partially fill and see if you can drillb an appropriately located pilot hole..or use the splinter down the side you want to move away from... but really there are a thousand ways to screw-up and put tension, pressure on the action, which is why there is a right way.....

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/20/20. Reason: What tf is drillban autocorrect?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

You can plug the existing hole prior to drilling to keep it from centering on the old hole.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.