Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
This has been a very informative thread. Thanks.

I have a very similar problem, except in my case, I need to move a hole.......in a walnut Rem 700 stock.

The hole for the front action screw in the stock is out of alignment with the hole in the action by a few 1/100s of an inch. I have pillars coming from PT&G. But I need to figure how to keep the drill from centering on the old hole when I drill oversize for the pillars.

Maybe I can get the machinist at work to do it on his Bridgeport.

Glue a dowel in the existing hole.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

I have a very similar problem, except in my case, I need to move a hole.......in a walnut Rem 700 stock.

The hole for the front action screw in the stock is out of alignment with the hole in the action by a few 1/100s of an inch. I have pillars coming from PT&G. But I need to figure how to keep the drill from centering on the old hole when I drill oversize for the pillars.

Well the right way is to fill, let cure, and redrill.
Short of that, for .03 ( couple is two, few is three, some is four?) You might take a small rat-tail file and work it in the right direction, partially fill and see if you can drillb an appropriately located pilot hole..or use the splinter down the side you want to move away from... but really there are a thousand ways to screw-up and put tension, pressure on the action, which is why there is a right way.....

When a luthier is repairing holes for tuning machines in an instrument head they will often drill out the hole and glue and tap a tight fitting dowel of like wood into the hole. Sand it flush and redrill it. Can't hardly tell it was even done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A standard Doweling Jig works wonders...

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe

A drill will always follow an existing hole. You can do it by chucking up a center cutting end mill in a drill press if you can figure out a good way to hold the stock.

We have a few end mills. And we have, forgive me but do not know the nomenclature, a Bridgeport milling machine? with a flat table mostly used for cutting keyways in stub shafts. I think I could square the stock up, pad it, and lock it into a drill press vise. Then cut the hole out that I need.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

A drill will always follow an existing hole. You can do it by chucking up a center cutting end mill in a drill press if you can figure out a good way to hold the stock.

We have a few end mills. And we have, forgive me but do not know the nomenclature, a Bridgeport milling machine? with a flat table mostly used for cutting keyways in stub shafts. I think I could square the stock up, pad it, and lock it into a drill press vise. Then cut the hole out that I need.

That should work.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just be forewarned, clamping something oval, or round, made of wood, in a flat walled vise, securely, and squarely without leaving marks, requires patience and preparation....

Luckily my most recent misaligned result was a case handle and not an action screw. So the misalignment was not critical and hidden by the leather wrap...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Short of that, for .03 ( couple is two, few is three, some is four?) You might take a small rat-tail file and work it in the right direction, partially fill and see if you can drillb an appropriately located pilot hole..or use the splinter down the side you want to move away from... but really there are a thousand ways to screw-up and put tension, pressure on the action, which is why there is a right way.....

Yes, I have not actually got a measurement yet. At this point, all I know is that I can barely get the action screw into the action and it is laying hard against the front of the hole in the stock. The pillars are going to be considerably oversize. I will need a much larger hole than the 9/32" which is now in the stock.

I am far more comfortable with a cutting torch and a welding stinger in my hand. I am not much of a woodworker. I was not aware that I could epoxy a hardwood dowel into the existing hole and redrill. That does sound like an excellent way to get it done.

What type driil would one recommend to avoid splintering the surface of the walnut as the drill comes through the bottom side?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Are you talking about moving the hole a couple of .100" or .001" ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will defer to others on type of drill and how to best drill a stock
But suggest that rotation speed may be a factor. (Although that may be more for metal than wood)

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Yes, I have not actually got a measurement yet. At this point, all I know is that I can barely get the action screw into the action and it is laying hard against the front of the hole in the stock. The pillars are going to be considerably oversize. I will need a much larger hole than the 9/32" which is now in the stock.

I am far more comfortable with a cutting torch and a welding stinger in my hand. I am not much of a woodworker. I was not aware that I could epoxy a hardwood dowel into the existing hole and redrill. That does sound like an excellent way to get it done.

What type driil would one recommend to avoid splintering the surface of the walnut as the drill comes through the bottom side?

With a flat surface, a backer board will help avoid splintering. Unfortunately, you don’t have that. What you can do is use a Brad point drill and when you are most of the way through switch to a very small drill. The through hole from the small bit will be your guide so you can flip the stock and drill with the Brad point from the other side.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Here is a hint when drilling thin metal like the fire door. Bristoe's jig, and put a piece of old levis under the drill before drilling. Helps keep the hole round in thin metal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Sounds like he needs it to move ~.030" or so (a few hundredths).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap

With a flat surface, a backer board will help avoid splintering. Unfortunately, you don’t have that. What you can do is use a Brad point drill and when you are most of the way through switch to a very small drill. The through hole from the small bit will be your guide so you can flip the stock and drill with the Brad point from the other side.

I had forgotten this trick. Or to mention it anyhow...

-OMotS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by persiandog
lots of tools available for drilling perpendicular if you are standing up and wood or metal is on a flat surface.

yesterday I was trying to drill a hole on a fire door without removing the door and i made a mess , any jig or tricks you are aware of?

Take a flat piece of 3/4" thick steel, put it in a drill vise, then drill a hole through it with a drill press .003" larger than the drill you're going to use on the job you're doing.

Hold the piece of steel with the hole in it flat against whatever you're drilling, then use the hole in the steel as a guide to drill through.

1/2" plywood works just as well....

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
What I've done in the past, I take the stock , flip it upside down and mount it to a plate strapping it down by the forearm. I make a piloted drill by grabbing a regular twist drill that is 1/16" oversized flr the pillars being used. I swirl grind a pilot on the tip of the drill that is slightly undersized for the existing holes in the stock. I then regrind the cutting edge of the drill to a flat 0° cutting edge. This prevents the drill from pulling through the hole on it's own and splintering the wood. I mount the pillars to the action, dry fit the action to the stock. If the pillars don't drop into the stock freely I use a 1/2" drum sander tool mounted in a dremel tool to grind clearance in the offending hole. YMMV, good luck. It ain't rocket science.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For smaller holes up to 3/8" check out Big Gator Tools. also have jigs for Taping.
https://biggatortools.com/

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Sounds like he needs it to move ~.030" or so (a few hundredths).

Yes it appears to be about .030". When I get the pillars, I will pull out the calipers and get an accurate measurement.

Or else I will fill the holes in the stock, shape a couple of 1/4 inch bolts into center punches, thread them into the action and use them to mark exact hole placement.

A fixture for holding the stock in perfect orientation for drilling will be the toughest problem, I think.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by doubletap

Thankyou very much.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Take a piece of plywood, and screw 2x4’s into it in the shape of the frame.

Drills your practice holes through it, and if it works, hold it up to the door and then just drill the rest of the way through, using a bolt to hold the drilled holes in line with the plywood template.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Drill bushing's are cheap and the only way to go in making a jig for repetitive use.

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 25 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.