Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Yoder409

But the gun fit me and pointed like my finger.

Yoder409 I don't know your experiance and this isn't aimed at you. I suspect that a lot of guys that make statements about factory guns fitting them has a whole lot more to do with how the gun feels to them in their hands. Rather than actually truly fitting them.

I have a good friend that wanted a high end sporting clays gun. He asked me to help him decide. I told him that is impossible because no two people are the same. So I helped him through the process. First order was looking at the different companies and models. I noticed something right away. Perazzi, Zoli, and Guerini's all didn't "feel like they fit him"! So I said lets try out some from Kolar and Krieghoff. Right away he said see these fit me. Nope they didn't fit him any better all were standard off the shelf guns. What he perceived as fit was actually feel. The weight and balance is what suited him. Yet he swore up and down that he could buy the one on the showroom floor and it was perfect. So I said to him slow down and let's get you fitted first and see what your measurements actually are. Sure enough when he saw what was suggested by the fitter he was surprised at how much different they actually are. He ended up buying a K-80 with a custom stock.

MCH...…..

I wouldn't know what to call my experience level. I'm definitely not in the MCH/Battue bracket. Maybe, with time to actually shoot, I could hang with yinz. About all I get to do anymore is shoot a few rounds of trap every other year. If I went out right now, tonight, I feel fairly confident I'd be somewhere in the low to mid 90's.

I have always been blessed with the ability to pick up a shotgun and know whether I need bother trying to hit with it or not. I have a couple guns that feel GREAT in my hands that I struggle with. The guns I can compete with both FEEL good and POINT well. In the instance of my trap gun (it's actually labeled as a "sporting" gun), I went to a big shop. I told the guy I wanted every trap and sporting gun he had within my budget laid out on the counter. There were roughly a dozen. I mounted each one and it only took 15 minutes to make my pick. I have never regretted or thought I may have done better.

What's crazy is that the guns I have been most effective with have been somewhere between very and sorta plain-Jane guns...……..and very little, by looking at them, in common. An English stocked Stoeger Uplander Special 20 gauge SxS with 24" barrels...……………. A Winchester 1400 XTR 12 gauge with a 22" barrel...…………….. A Winchester Select Energy Sporting 12 gauge O/U with 30" barrels. Apparently, for whatever reason, each one fit(s) my style of shooting...……...whatever that style is. That CZ Mallard sat in my hands and came to my shoulder/eye just EXACTLY like the other 3 do or did. I'm pretty fairly certain I coulda been half ways dangerous with it.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yoder

Battue is above my level. For an old man he can shoot! smile smile smile Add that he is a specimen of the word UGLY! smile smile smile Oh crap I am in trouble now!

I was just trying to highlight something you touched on that I feel too many people misunderstand. Again not really aimed at you, it may or may not apply for you. I do think you would find a longer barrel an advantage in both sporting clays and Trap. But again it needs to be the right fit and balance for you.

As for a trap gun I ran my first 50 and 100 with a Benelli M1 Super 90 that is about as ugly as Battue! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shot sporting today for the first time in 3 months and stunk the place out, so leave me out of all this. grin

I only wedged my way into this one, because I previously made a promise to myself I would stay out of all future posts regarding fit. So, It was my way of giving it all to you. As they say, thank me later.... whistle

Now about ugly, you want ugly? Have you see Dan lately? And you call me ugly?

Last edited by battue; 01/15/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
Shot sporting today for the first time in 3 months and stunk the place out, so leave me out of all this. grin

I only wedged my way into this one, because I previously made a promise to myself I would stay out of all future posts regarding fit. So, It was my way of giving it all to you. As they say, thank me later.... whistle

Now about ugly, you want ugly? Have you see Dan lately? And you call me ugly?

Haha I have not seen Dan in a bunch of years. I need to make it out to his club with you this year!

What was that Line/trick to said to Tobey? smile smile

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/15/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yoder

Battue is above my level. For an old man he can shoot! smile smile smile Add that he is a specimen of the word UGLY! smile smile smile Oh crap I am in trouble now!

Once or twice upon a time, Mr. Battue invited me to join him on a sporting clays course. Life and my lousy work schedule being what they be, I couldn't oblige his gracious offer(s).

Maybe, someday......………..if the offer still stands...…….. I've yet to set foot on a SC course. If I can't be learnt anything, at least I can be cheap entertainment.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Offer is still there, if you don't mind shooting with old ugly.... laugh

All it takes is a PM and coinciding schedules....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Offer is still there, if you don't mind shooting with old ugly.... laugh

All it takes is a PM and coinciding schedules....

You may have me beat on "old"...………..but I can hold my own in "ugly". Yep.

Appreciate the extended offer, I do. Unless I'm on one of my scheduled vacation weeks...……… Saturdays (maybe) and Sundays are about all I have to work with. We'll hash SOMETHING out, one day.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well please invite me so there can be one good looking guy there! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Be a right LONG ride from the Big Sky ............ Better have a persistent horse. 😁😁

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Be a right LONG ride from the Big Sky ............ Better have a persistent horse. 😁😁

Have Family back near Battue.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Battue, I live close............how much do you charge for shooting lessons??????

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bartman,

There is no why I should be charging anyone for shooting lessons. In fact, I’m signed up to take them myself here shortly.

Same thing, if you are close, PM and we will go and shoot sporting clays at anyone of a number of clubs close by. We both can learn from each other.

If You want lessons, I can recommend a couple who it would be worthwhile for you to pay good money to.

MCH gives me more credit than I deserve. grin

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Fit is very important to shooting well, but there are some important caveats. First, no two fitters will prescribe the same dimensions - it’s a very complex process, a mix of objective and subjective factors. It is iterative vice prescriptive. It is also very important that a shooter’s technique is correct and consistent.

Sounds like chicken or egg - so how do you develop adequate skill and technique suitable to seek a custom or altered stock?
My recommendation is to initially put yourself in the hands of a good instructor who will check and adjust “rough” fit with temporary means (I use a lot of duct tape and cardboard, as well as washers to adjust pitch), and who will work with you in your correct technique. Get the gun fit in the ballpark, acknowledging that it won’t be perfect. Then practice. Thousands of targets.

As MCH alludes above, “feel” is not the same as “fit”, but does also play a role in seeking out the right gun along with getting the fit right. A perfectly fitting gun whose dynamics are ill suited to the task at hand is a fool’s errand. The opposite is true as well.

Now, to the direct question at hand, I would default in my purchase and recommendation first to a 20 gauge Beretta 686. If for whatever reason the Beretta doesn’t ring your bell, get a Browning Citori if you just like it better. I certainly wouldn’t make my decision based on a couple hundred dollars either way.

Last edited by GF1; 01/16/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I taught Toby a trick where if I would ask him, “Would he rather look like me or be dead?” At which time Toby would go down with all four paws in the air.

Dan thought it was a hoot, and most times when we were in a crowd, he would ask Tob the question. Which would always get a laugh.

If I was a Chinaman, I’d have called him a plick.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I taught Toby a trick where if I would ask him, “Would he rather look like me or be dead?” At which time Toby would go down with all four paws in the air.

Dan thought it was a hoot, and most times when we were in a crowd, he would ask Tob the question. Which would always get a laugh.

Dan was not the only one that thought it was hilarious

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cool beaners.

Maybe if you're back east visiting, all 3 of our schedules could align to do some shootin'.

Again...…...…. I'll provide the entertainment.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Cool beaners.

Maybe if you're back east visiting, all 3 of our schedules could align to do some shootin'.

Again...…...…. I'll provide the entertainment.

Sounds great to me!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Dan was not the only one that thought it was hilarious

laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Considering the O.P...……… If this happens, I sure HOPE we don't have to bring a 20 gauge O/U.

Only one I have is beautiful and feels great in my hands...……...but I can't hit CRAP with it.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I have bought 2 Yildiz O/U shotguns from Academy Sports the past 2 years. I bought a 20 last year, and I liked it so much I bought a 12 to go with it this year. A really well-balanced gun, and a lot of gun for the price. Especially for hunting. If I were going to shoot 10,000 shells a year with them, I would probably get a different shotgun. I like them and would recommend. I bought them for under $400 each. I got the 12 this year on sale for $349.

How do they pattern?

They pattern well.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.