Page 31 of 34 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT
Something that has no evidence for its existence may prove to exist if evidence comes to light, or may not, but up until that point of evidence being presented, being certain of its existence is not a justified belief, it is a matter of faith.

Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc, have faith in the teachings of their religion.

And you have faith in your own metaphysics, all evidence to the contrary.

It's called basic logic and reason....

Or more likely, pride.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by DBT
Something that has no evidence for its existence may prove to exist if evidence comes to light, or may not, but up until that point of evidence being presented, being certain of its existence is not a justified belief, it is a matter of faith.

Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc, have faith in the teachings of their religion.

Psalm 19

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.

Hindus can quote from their own sacred writings, but what they say is not the same as quoting from the bible.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

And you have faith in your own metaphysics, all evidence to the contrary.

It's called basic logic and reason....

Or more likely, pride.

You are being defensive.

Last edited by DBT; 01/21/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jesus answered Satan many times with scripture. I think it's a good idea.

Proverbs 26
12 Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/21/20.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hey Jag,

A couple of thoughts…. my opinions only….

I have wondered about the mocking naysayers who show up like clockwork on these Christian themed threads. Even though they profess to be atheists, agnostics or some other form of unbeliever, something is amiss… even disingenuous…. seems to me that there is a piece or missing.

I find it difficult to believe that these naysayers have no belief in God and certainly no belief in Jesus.

Then another angle or factor presented itself…..

The key motivator …..to their ongoing disparagement of Jesus …..may be that at some level they truly do want to believe but are wracked with pride, anxiety and doubt…. they disparage something that has proven unattainable…. they criticize and disparage what they really do desire …..but have not…. at least yet….. not yet obtained.

They hear the testimonies…. they hear about God… they hear about peace….. they hear about a greater power….. but they do not have it and yet … it seems to me....wish they did.

So, they disparage what they desire but cannot obtain…… this is old fashioned sour grapes.

Seems that God honors those who seek Him with reverent fear and perhaps even humility….

Those that clamor for a God that will serve them and be the god they want in their own hearts may remain disgruntled like the fox who could not reach the grapes.

Last edited by TF49; 01/21/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Using logic and common sense seems to be a waste of time.

I used to have sympathy for the believers (I thought that there was something wrong with a person who had faith) but now am convinced that the foundation for a true believer is arrogance driven by fear leading to discrimination, intolerance, hatred etc - sourcing the sins that it is intented to protect against. True believers would have learned their lesson and would have stopped sinning - not continue and then whinging, opps...I meant praying.., to god for forgiveness.

I respectfully beg to differ. I agree many religious people display the negative traits you mention, (Exhibit A: our own Jag-off) but I've met more than a few who do not. Everyone of us has a belief system based on faith, including so called "rationalists" such as DBT and virtually every atheist on the planet. Religious folk are at least willing to admit the primacy of faith in their belief system, whereas materialists and atheists generally deny their reliance on faith (and I'm not talking sectarian faith here) even though the necessity of a certain kid of faith to their belief system is so obvious and axiomatic. The problem with people like Jag is that they are such obvious fakes and frauds. A person who purports to be religious who is sincere in their belief and strives to act consistent with it is generally an admirable person. Its the one's that wear it on their sleeves while spouting racism, out and out idiocy and dropping F-bombs left and right (like Jag-off) that are off-putting.

Too Freaking Funny.

My grandad was a lumberjack and dad was pure oilfield. 8th grade education who ended up a Multimillionaire owner of a few businesses but he did cuss.

I'm sure you're just the guy to prove God wrong when He said the sins of the father will be visited on the sons through the 4th generation.

Good luck.

Now, go and judge some more. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Someone should pray that their keyboard gets fixed, or.... he graces them with the knowledge of proper word capitalization.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jesus answered Satan many times with scripture. I think it's a good idea.

Proverbs 26
12 Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them.

That is one means of suppressing open enquiry and dialogue. Something that faith tends to discourage. Too much questioning being seen as a bad thing, rather than the positive thing it is.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I used to have sympathy for the believers (I thought that there was something wrong with a person who had faith) but now am convinced that the foundation for a true believer is arrogance driven by fear leading to discrimination, intolerance, hatred etc - sourcing the sins that it is intented to protect against. True believers would have learned their lesson and would have stopped sinning - not continue and then whinging, opps...I meant praying.., to god for forgiveness.

I respectfully beg to differ. I agree many religious people display the negative traits you mention, (Exhibit A: our own Jag-off) but I've met more than a few who do not. Everyone of us has a belief system based on faith, including so called "rationalists" such as DBT and virtually every atheist on the planet. Religious folk are at least willing to admit the primacy of faith in their belief system, whereas materialists and atheists generally deny their reliance on faith (and I'm not talking sectarian faith here) even though the necessity of a certain kid of faith to their belief system is so obvious and axiomatic. The problem with people like Jag is that they are such obvious fakes and frauds. A person who purports to be religious who is sincere in their belief and strives to act consistent with it is generally an admirable person. Its the one's that wear it on their sleeves while spouting racism, out and out idiocy and dropping F-bombs left and right (like Jag-off) that are off-putting.

Too Freaking Funny.

My grandad was a lumberjack and dad was pure oilfield. 8th grade education who ended up a Multimillionaire owner of a few businesses but he did cuss.

I'm sure you're just the guy to prove God wrong when He said the sins of the father will be visited on the sons through the 4th generation.

Good luck.

Whoa!

Jag's rich!

I'm gonna stop teasing him.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Hey Jag,

A couple of thoughts…. my opinions only….

I have wondered about the mocking naysayers who show up like clockwork on these Christian themed threads. Even though they profess to be atheists, agnostics or some other form of unbeliever, something is amiss… even disingenuous…. seems to me that there is a piece or missing.

I find it difficult to believe that these naysayers have no belief in God and certainly no belief in Jesus.

Then another angle or factor presented itself…..

The key motivator …..to their ongoing disparagement of Jesus …..may be that at some level they truly do want to believe but are wracked with pride, anxiety and doubt…. they disparage something that has proven unattainable…. they criticize and disparage what they really do desire …..but have not…. at least yet….. not yet obtained.

They hear the testimonies…. they hear about God… they hear about peace….. they hear about a greater power….. but they do not have it and yet … it seems to me....wish they did.

So, they disparage what they desire but cannot obtain…… this is old fashioned sour grapes.

Seems that God honors those who seek Him with reverent fear and perhaps even humility….

Those that clamor for a God that will serve them and be the god they want in their own hearts may remain disgruntled like the fox who could not reach the grapes.

The so called naysayers may be doing a community service by providing a bit of balance. If something is true, it should be able to withstand questioning without people wailing and gnashing their teeth over it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Too Freaking Funny.

Good luck.

Jesus, you are a dumb-[bleep]. Nowhere have I attempted to disprove the existence of God. On the contrary, I've argued that it is inconsistent for atheists to attack the "faith" of believers when their own foundational premises require a kind of faith in their own right. What I have done, with respect to religious belief, is call out the one obvious fraud and fake on this forum, namely you---an intolerant, irrational racial bigot with a foul mouth who wraps himself in Christianity while his every word and act seems to deny it.

Tarquin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some of the heated exchanges make me think on this song.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't require faith to lack convinction in the truth of something that has little or no evidence. Nor is it hard to change your mind if evidence comes along. It's called reason.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2 Corinthians 4:4
Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
It doesn't require faith to lack convinction in the truth of something that has little or no evidence. Nor is it hard to change your mind if evidence comes along. It's called reason.

But rationality (reason) presupposes that the mind is free to apprehend truth. Yet materialism (radical skepticism) denies the metaphysical freedom of the mind period. This is why they are like that first Cretin who said "all Cretins are liars". Their foundational premises deny there is any basis to prefer rationality over superstition, including their own claims of rationality.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT

But rationality (reason) presupposes that the mind is free to apprehend truth. Yet materialism (radical skepticism) denies the metaphysical freedom of the mind period. This is why they are like that first Cretin who said "all Cretins are liars". Their foundational premises deny there is any basis to prefer rationality over superstition, including their own claims of rationality.

Tarquin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DBT

It requires faith to believe in the Good News things to come and birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Men are liars. Not Him, and those are His words, not mine.

You push the lies of the Satan you serve, thereby proving Christ lives.

No satan, no GOD.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/21/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

Big ol' hook nose?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
2 Corinthians 4:4
Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

So it's not their fault then, since they've been blinded and unable to see?

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

As far as I know nobody argues that the mind/brain cannot acquire information, process that information, make sense of it and respond. Of course we can do these things.

The issue is logic and reason in relation to evidence....evidence being a body of information that anyone can access and evaluate.

Claims made in ancient scrolls slone is not evidence, mot without independent verification.

Page 31 of 34 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.