Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
So, could a gator win the Kentucky Derby? Nope.

The assertion I made in another thread was apparently not well constructed, so let me rephrase. A smaller gator, say 6-8' in length, has a 0-full speed distance that is startingly short. They can, if motivated, smoke a horse out of the gate, 7 days a week. How far they will stay out front is debatable of course. Real problem is figuring out how to arrange the race if one is inclined to test it. You'll need to figure out how to keep the gator motivated and the horse under control.

Big lizards are not so fast to launch on land, it's not their MO. I doubt the are as fast as the kids due to their mass. I'm speaking about the 10-14' version.

All sizes share a common trait. Their strike is one of the fastest of all creatures on earth and if you're within 6-10' of one when it decides you're table fare, the odds are vastly against you.

Call it BS if you want, but in the real world ignore it at your own risk. At least have an otter or two by your side before doing so.

As for me and my house, I will believe in The Dan.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would think gator presence would significantly speed up the learning curve.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
I wonder if century upon century of people living in schit holes doesn't make the inability to swim genetic?

Might be a workable theory except kids are the main vector, playing in streams being an inviting proposition in the Tropics. Remember the human host has to pee the egg-carrying urine into the water to complete the parasite life cycle.

We ain’t alone, virtually every creature that lives in or regularly comes into contact with water has its own bladder or colon flukes. There’s a malady called “Swimmer’s Itch”, a local itchy rash caused by a fluke larvae of some other species attempting to parasitize a human. We are just lucky that the human-adapted species are limited to the Tropics.

Flukes get amazingly sophisticated. Among shorebirds a few individuals of any given species will become so debilitated by these flukes that they are unable to lay on enough fat to migrate North again in the spring, spending the remainder of their lives in the Tropics. These become the reservoir of infection, maintaining the parasite population when the majority of the shorebirds are absent.

I doubt that our close biological relatives the monkeys and apes have these things, the fact that we do illustrates just how very long kids have been peeing in swimming pools.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I wonder if century upon century of people living in schit holes doesn't make the inability to swim genetic?

Might be a workable theory except kids are the main vector, playing in streams being an inviting proposition in the Tropics. Remember the human host has to pee the egg-carrying urine into the water to complete the parasite life cycle.

We ain’t alone, virtually every creature that lives in or regularly comes into contact with water has its own bladder or colon flukes. There’s a malady called “Swimmer’s Itch”, a local itchy rash caused by a fluke larvae of some other species attapting to parasitize a human. We are just lucky that the human-adapted species are limited to the Tropics.

Flukes get amazingly sophisticated. Among shorebirds a few individuals of any given species will become so debilitated by these flukes that they are unable/unwilling to migrate North again in the spring, spending the remainder of their lives in the Tropics. These become the reservoir of infection, maintaining the parasite population when the majority of the shorebirds are absent.

I doubt that our close biological relatives the monkeys and apes have these things, the fact that we do illustrates just how very long kids have been peeing in swimming pools.

Well, empirical data implies that it has an effect.

Because anybody that's gone through boot camp remembers all the Leroy's and Tyrone's having a really bad week.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The assertion I made in another thread was apparently not well constructed, so let me rephrase. A smaller gator, say 6-8' in length, has a 0-full speed distance that is startingly short. They can, if motivated, smoke a horse out of the gate, 7 days a week. How far they will stay out front is debatable of course. Real problem is figuring out how to arrange the race if one is inclined to test it. You'll need to figure out how to keep the gator motivated and the horse under control.

Big lizards are not so fast to launch on land, it's not their MO. I doubt the are as fast as the kids due to their mass. I'm speaking about the 10-14' version.

All sizes share a common trait. Their strike is one of the fastest of all creatures on earth and if you're within 6-10' of one when it decides you're table fare, the odds are vastly against you.

Call it BS if you want, but in the real world ignore it at your own risk. At least have an otter or two by your side before doing so.

It's ok to be wrong once in awhile.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, empirical data implies that it has an effect.

Because anybody that's gone through boot camp remembers all the Leroy's and Tyrone's having a really bad week.

There was a big, barrel-chested fisherman on the coast in Ghana, looked like a blacker version of George Foreman. That guy had pulled three Euro tourists out of the water who were drowning, so fishermen on the coast at least could swim.

That same guy spoke functional Japanese, self-taught in the way that luxury car and motorcycle salesmen down here learn Spanish. Monterrey comes to San Antonio to shop. That fisherman sold most of his catch to the Japanese, had been for years.

Sample size of one I know.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MOGC

I don't really care either way.

I can tell you this though, the other day I damn near stepped on one and guarantee I could have outran a race horse in that moment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Didn't move to deep south until 18 years old - so no..

How many gators are there around San Antonio ? South texas ?
Pondered that before .
lot of gators around here.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So, the question is, if you lived around alligators as a kid, did you go swimming like kids did most everywhere else?

Only if I were chasing General Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón on behalf of General Sam Houston.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
According to one Florida Campfire member an alligator can out run a quarter horse for several hundred yards over dry land. Evidently you aren't safe anywhere!

I think that's total BS. At least I know that African crocodiles can't.

I know for sure with the right head start I can out run one. Took my girlfriend "parking" one night, got out to take a leak, the tall grass between me and a little pond something started thrashing the grass. I ran wank in hand back to the safety of the car. And I'm here to tell about it.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I don't really care either way.

I can tell you this though, the other day I damn near stepped on one and guarantee I could have outran a race horse in that moment.

LOL... I hear ya. I'm not taking any chances with the damn things. I've been around them some while fishing, seen them grab nutria and shore birds. They can be quick for short burst. However, they aren't outrunning a race horse for several hundred yards. It's one animal I've never been interested in hunting.

Last edited by MOGC; 01/22/20.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, the question is, if you lived around alligators as a kid, did you go swimming like kids did most everywhere else?

Only if I were chasing General Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón on behalf of General Sam Houston.

On behalf of THAT sumbitch ? mad

Not likely.

Presuming you were actually present at the Battle of San Jacinto and familiar with Houston of course.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any of you wankers ever had the pleasure of watching a gator set up in clear water to grab a dog walking the shore, say from an elevated position on the opposite shore of a creek?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Any of you wankers ever had the pleasure of watching a gator set up in clear water to grab a dog walking the shore, say from an elevated position on the opposite shore of a creek?

No.

But it sounds awesome.

Hell, I'd even provide the dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A quick word about Florida and gators....

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

We ain’t alone, virtually every creature that lives in or regularly comes into contact with water has its own bladder or colon flukes. There’s a malady called “Swimmer’s Itch”, a local itchy rash caused by a fluke larvae of some other species attempting to parasitize a human. We are just lucky that the human-adapted species are limited to the Tropics.

Flukes get amazingly sophisticated. Among shorebirds a few individuals of any given species will become so debilitated by these flukes that they are unable to lay on enough fat to migrate North again in the spring, spending the remainder of their lives in the Tropics. These become the reservoir of infection, maintaining the parasite population when the majority of the shorebirds are absent.

Water filtration or boiling have any effect on those parasites?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I expect a gators short game would have to be PDQ to snatch a dog trotting a bank from 8 or 10 ft away.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/22/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No.

But it sounds awesome.

Hell, I'd even provide the dog.

Never actually saw it transpire. Always heard about it after As a kid, I used to cut grass in this giant mobile home park that had lakes all through it, all of them interconnected by the aquifer. Gators all through them. Dogs getting ate all the time. Mgmt never could get the old folks to stop walking their dogs so close to the lakes. (Probably Canadians.. or Texans). And the banks were kinda steep. Was always surprised more grandmas and grandpas didn't fall victim, too. Guess they were motor-boatin' on up outta there. Think prop trails. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28

On behalf of THAT sumbitch ? mad

Not likely.

Presuming you were actually present at the Battle of San Jacinto and familiar with Houston of course.

My statement was under the guise of being a member of the Texan Army serving under Gen. Houston. Then I would be bound under oath to pursue the enemy.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.