Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a 1959 Volvo P544 back in 1968. Even then, parts were extremely expensive. I needed rear brake drums, and they cost me $30 each, used! At the time, a junk yard charged me $3 for a Chevy brake drum. I finally blew the head gasket and gave it to a mechanic friend. Yes, they are well-built, but expensive!

A coworker with dual Norwegian and American citizenship joked that Volvos last 20 years in Norway because no one can afford to buy gas for a car. They just sit in a barn.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddies older brothers girlfriend drove us to school in her Pinto. We lived on the edge back then, that walking back and forth, uphill, ten miles in the snow was a cakewalk. I tried to date her younger cousin but they rode to school in her moms Electra 225 and would have nothing to do with anybody that arrived in a Pinto. The science teacher had a Volvo, had a super A muffler plumbed up through the fender, rain cap and all. Its amazing what will bring back memories.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The mystery remains. How do they avoid killing dozens of spectators with every race?

.......... I kept waiting for one of those cars to slide into a group of spectators.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
If I recall correctly Ford bought Volvo in 2000. I will have any Volvo prior to 1999. The decision-making just went downhill after that.

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/22/20.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
If I recall correctly Ford bought Volvo in 2000. I will have any Volvo prior to 1999. The decision-making just went downhill after that.

Ford sold Volvo when Alan Mulally was CEO (and everything else except Ford/Lincoln Mercury). It was one of the big reasons Ford didn't need the bailout the others did.

If you have any interest in the auto industry this book read more like an adventure novel than a business book - fascinating stuff. American Icon. You'll certainly understand why some CEOs are worth their salary.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a 3 year old 2014 S60 with less than 27K on it for slightly less than 20K. Certified pre-owned so came with a bumper to bumper warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles. Got 87K on it now and only issue was the knob that controls the blower for ac went out. Was replaced for free under warranty. Oh, it also gets 25/26 AVERAGE milage, with great pep and performance. I am hugely impressed and happy.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those Swedes really knew how to build a car. I drove a Saab for a lot of years and sure, it was ugly as a mud hen, but it was still the best front wheel car I ever owned in the snow and ice. One day a woman turned into her driveway from the on coming lane right in front of me and I opened the side of her Chevrolet up like a tin can. The cop came and said "That car didn't hit this car." Oh yes it did. Parts were wildly expensive and the thing ate two sets of turbo seals. Great car, but it cured me from buying foreign from then on.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The mystery remains. How do they avoid killing dozens of spectators with every race?

Answered prayers.

Duh.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
SBTCO Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Answered prayers.

Duh.

The Jesus drives a Volvo.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Back glass on the Pacer actually magnified the driver. haha

Built-in 4x. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Salty303
Those older Volvos were built like brick schit houses. They had the highest safety ratings going in the 70s and 80s mostly because of the brick schit house part.

+1 the 240 was a tank. They went down hill swiftly after that. . It takes a miracle to see the 850 on the road. I got rid of mine at 50k, besides a Subaru one of the biggest POS vehicles I ever owned.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Only the slow over weight ones get the dirt nap.

Just because one may be considered by others to be overweight, that doesn't mean they're slow.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Why do they sound like chainsaws?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
...the passenger compartment stayed in tact...a lot of those wrecks where the cars were rolled, all they needed was to be rolled back over on the their wheels, and I bet they would have been able to take off again......

I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the role cages in these cars.....

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sheridan, Wyoming, Walmart parking lot, newish Volvo SUV.

Back window had Sierra Club decal, RMEF decal, NWTF decal and a Obama/Biden bumper sticker.

I’m thinking, “ football bat “ when the green haired, tattooed, 240 lb. driver appeared and started unloading her groceries.

A beautiful thing.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
As of 2010, Volvo is owned by the Commie Chinese.

And old Volvo's were good - when they worked, which as the miles increased wasn't likely. Parents had one 40 years ago. They were known for electrical problems. I removed the lower dash cover to reset the lamda sond emissions light, which was nothing more than replacing the O2 sensor, which I had done myself. It was a maze of wires running every which way. Volvo apparently heard of printed circuit boards. The 77 Suburban I had at the time was a model of reliable transportation and far superior to the Volvo - because I maintained it properly.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SBTCO

That was as much fun as the videos of the Arabs drifting!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Used to work at the Volvo-Subaru dealership "Anchorage, Ak". The Volvos were a real POS!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll have this.[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.