-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trump can introduce anything he likes but the Dems will stonewall it all until the election.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Trump can introduce anything he likes but the Dems will stonewall it all until the election.

If so (and I think you're right), that will give Trump a good campaign issue.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Yes. He wants them to block tax cuts so he gets more votes hopefully.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Is Trump talking about cutting Medicare?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The last tax cut was good for businesses and the poor but I think it hurt some of the upper middle class. I sold a rental last year and had to recapture some of it and pay some capital gains. I also had some huge attorneys fees and had to buy our own health insurance on cobra.

Most people can deduct or pay health insurance premiums pre tax. It doesn't seem fair that those on cobra cannot.

I might not be able to deduct legal fees under the new law and can't deduct medical up to the first 10% of income. The 2 things means of $60,000 I can't deduct plus you have a limit of only $10,000 on state and local taxes.

The standard deduction is now $24,000 which is about what we used to come up with itemizing with charitable contributions etc. Now everyone gets that whether they donate to anything or not. It was a wash for us but we lost other individual ones in the process. My taxes went up under the new law.

I'm still a Trump supporter but I'd like to see something actually done for the middle class. It seems like whomever writes these tax laws always tries to buy the votes of the poor and is listening to the lobbyists of the rich. It's the people in the middle that always bear the burden.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 01/23/20.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

It is a win situation if it gets approved or not. Probably better ammo for President Trump is the dems shut it down. I think this is a excellent political move.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
The last tax cut was good for businesses and the poor but I think it hurt some of the upper middle class. I sold a rental last year and had to recapture some of it and pay some capital gains. I also had some huge attorneys fees and had to buy our own health insurance on cobra.

Most people can deduct or pay health insurance premiums pre tax. It doesn't seem fair that those on cobra cannot.

I might not be able to deduct legal fees under the new law and can't deduct medical up to the first 10% of income. The 2 things means of $60,000 I can't deduct plus you have a limit of only $10,000 on state and local taxes.

The standard deduction is now $24,000 which is about what we used to come up with itemizing with charitable contributions etc. Now everyone gets that whether they donate to anything or not. It was a wash for us but we lost other individual ones in the process. My taxes went up under the new law.

I'm still a Trump supporter but I'd like to see something actually done for the middle class. It seems like whomever writes these tax laws always tries to buy the votes of the poor and is listening to the lobbyists of the rich. It's the people in the middle that always bear the burden.

Bbl

Some of the things you complain about, like the 10% limit on medical fees, have been the law for many years.

The limit on state and local property tax deductions is new. It mostly hurts homeowners in blue states though it cut my deductions as well. I'm not complaining because of how much my stocks have increased, more than offsetting this.

The average middle-class taxpayer ended up with about $2500 more in cash peer year than before Trump's last tax cuts.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know with the last tax cut, I did get a noticeable bump in my paycheck each week, but in the end I had to pay more in federal taxes, which was a combination of the standard deduction going up to 24K for married couples, my youngest child turning 18, and I would assume some adjustment in the tax tables.

I haven't done the math but I know its close enough that I don't think I came out ahead. In order to break even for this year I've had to stop claiming my children as dependents and prepay taxes to avoid any penalties - at least until I balance things back out. I was caught off guard last year and had to pay a substantial amount to the IRS. My tax program told me if that happens again I pay a penalty on top of everything else.

I bet I am not alone in my situation and there are alot of middle class people scratching their head at the current tax system where they more or less broke even on the tax cut, seeing record amounts of revenue coming in to the federal government and still seeing government spending spiraling up.

I also think raising the standard deduction has to be bad for charities. I know I made a point of giving to charities because it would help me offset my taxes. Now I don't really care - I"m not altruistic enough to think about giving to charities on a regular basis - taxes pushed it to the fore front of my mind before.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/23/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by EdM
I'd like to see him work on the deficit.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a budget again? Maybe don't send anyone back to Washington if there is not a working budget and an attempt to balance it.

I would like to see no foreign aid until the deficit is gone. Pipe dream, I know.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Good to see you posting again Rex. I’ve missed your input.

Hope all is well and that you stick around. 👍

Hey bud.

Good to see you're still around!

IC B3

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hey Rex!

Where ya been ?

Getting myself in trouble buying places I have no business buying.

*shaking head* No idea why I do some of the things I do.

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Good to see you posting again Rex. I’ve missed your input.

Hope all is well and that you stick around. 👍

Indeed .
A certain attorney on here use to try and match wits with Rex - lost everytime IMO ...

Getting a tear in my eye from the nostalgia.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rrroae
Democrats:

What they'll say on the outside -

- But deficits!!

- Transparent bribe

- We can't afford it

What they'll think to themselves -

- Crap! People are going to like middle tax cuts more than our planned tax increases.

- We're f*****.

And they know but will not admit tax revenue will increase...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Must win back the House for anything to happen.

This in spades, no chance at all of anything getting done otherwise.

MM

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.