Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Possibly but not likely. A bill has cleared a state house committee to end it. However, this was tried last year and it was defeated in a full house vote by 55-15.
I don't understand the legislative love for daylight time. I know of almost no people who like it. In the summer here, it doesn't get fully dark until 10:30pm. That's 9:30 in the north half of the state since we're split between 2 time zones.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish they would do away with it here in La., but we're right in the middle of the Central Time Zone, so I aint gonna happen. I wouldn't care which one they stayed on, just stop the flipping back and forth.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here in Indiana, we were on Eastern Standard Time for 35-36 yrs., the year round. Then the Gov. and legislators decided we needed to go on DST. I don't get it. we have 4 time zones in the us, and N.Y. and LA are ALWAYS going to be 3 hrs. apart. Great idea would be to set the time at 1/2 hr. between fast/slow time, in each time zone, then forget it. Leave the d**n clocks alone!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wish the entire Mountain Time Zone would follow Arizona's lead on this. Hell, we're the forgotten and ignored time zone already; why not just go our own way altogether?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DST....fixing something that wasn't broken.

And politicians wonder why they are so despised....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The argument always comes up about safety for kids waiting for buses. If parents are concerned, why don't they put up a pole at the bus stop with a solar panel and a light on a timer? Prices on panels and LED lights have dropped dramatically and there are some good ones at low prices.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wish they would do away with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They try to overturn DST every year here, and they are trying again this year. I don't have a problem with doing away with DST, but not if Colorado doesn't. About a third of the population of this state is within 10-30 minutes of the Colorado front range, which is utilized for medical care, airports and shopping, and having to make an adjustment for the difference would be a real pain for a lot of people.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I'd rather have DST all year. I'd rather be in the office while it's dark in the morning. When I get home I got things to do outside and rather it be light.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Paul Harvey, daylight savings time saves neither daylight or time.

I wish the whole country would do away with it.

Maybe split the difference, move our clocks ahead half an hour in a couple months and leave them there for all eternity.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I could live with DST, if the politicians in office, would just go away....and drop dead.. especially if they are a democRAT...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Before I retired I very much preferred DST as it gave me an extra hour after work to be outside fishing or hunting.
Never could see why anyone would prefer less daylight hours after getting off work.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I was working, I didn't need for it to be light until 11:00 I was getting up at 5 in the morning. Now, no job and I don't care. Further north, where there is 22 hours of daylight, there little need to save it. GD

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Before I retired I very much preferred DST as it gave me an extra hour after work to be outside fishing or hunting.
Never could see why anyone would prefer less daylight hours after getting off work.

Agreed. Here in Alberta they are trying to go with straight DST, I hope it goes through.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Setting the time isn't really an arbitrary thing. Originally and ideally, time zones were set so that the sun was due south at clock noon in the center of the time zone. It's an astronomical setting and its base is the observatory at Greenwich, England. In the military, confusion was avoided by referring to "Greenwich time" (which was eventually shortened to Zulu Time for reasons only the military knows.)

Changing to permanent DST would screw that all up. Staying on Standard time is the only sensible course.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
Personally I'd rather have DST all year. I'd rather be in the office while it's dark in the morning. When I get home I got things to do outside and rather it be light.

Bingo, Winner Winner and the inevitable chicken dinner.

I have no use for light at 0430 in the summer. Even 0530 is before I get up to feed the chickens. But I have no problem splitting wood, weed whacking, gardening, etc until nearly 2200 during DST.

Our state is moving to an 0830 start time for schools anyway, so WTF? why change the clock back, it's plenty light by the time kids need to get on the bus if they just left it at the DST setting.

Geno

PS, only two reasons to get up way early in the morning...............fishing is one of them...................the other starts with "f" and ends with "ing" also. If that ain't happening I wanna sleep until the sun is well up.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Setting the time isn't really an arbitrary thing. Originally and ideally, time zones were set so that the sun was due south at clock noon in the center of the time zone. It's an astronomical setting and its base is the observatory at Greenwich, England. In the military, confusion was avoided by referring to "Greenwich time" (which was eventually shortened to Zulu Time for reasons only the military knows.)

Changing to permanent DST would screw that all up. Staying on Standard time is the only sensible course.

Who gives a rat's patootie if the sun is due South at noon? We're a little past relying on sundials these days.

I'm sick of having it get dark at 5:00 PM in the Winter - I wish they'd shift us another daylight hour to the afternoon in the Winter months!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, Theo, I suppose we could go back to the 1800s when there weren't any time zones and every community set their own clocks. Of course, with that "system" nobody knew when the train was supposed to arrive and confusion reigned everywhere. Fast forward to now and try to make sense of travel times, appointments, or even TV schedules when nobody gives a rat's patootie when noon is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This

It gives some daylight after work for kids to get outside with family and friends.

I noticed it's mostly old fogies set in their ways that don't like DST. It's such a non-inconvenience twice a year, and it gives a lot of working people some after work daylight.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No need to go back Rocky,

I hear there are these things called atomic clocks now. No need to even see the sun to know what time it is. wink

However, noon with the sun directly south might come in handy for someone shooting the sun with a sextant while navigating a schooner across the Pacific?

Just funnin' with you. I actually see the reasoning behind the human construct called "time" and how it can be used to our advantage. Doesn't matter where we set the start point, there's exactly so many hours and minutes of light in a day at a given location on Urth. Some of us just differ with how and when we want to use it.

I still vote for longer evenings, move the clock another hour opposite the way we move it back in the fall I say...............maybe 2 hours even. I hate dark at 1630.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,684
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.