Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
dogs at least some dogs, are a lot more complex than people give them credit for. I live with four of them, three being goldens.
it would take a long time to describe all their behavior, but they do tell the time of day , i.e. feeding time regularly scheduled, they know my moods and if i am feeling well, can read you like a book.
mine know when i am going somewhere, particularly in what we call the "dog car" an xterra with the back seats down for them.
they are sound trained to alert if somethings outside, definitely reconize certain relatives.
They also seem to decide who is trustworthy and not.
i have seen them inside the fence at one of my houses where the fence is next to the sidewalk. some people don't rate much attention, but they really raise a ruckess if a black walks past.
Some people they watch like a hawk, others they are accomodating too.
I have had several that made excellent hunters on birds and small game, and fully expected to share the rewards.
one golden would sit patiently while i cleand quail, and put on the grill, expecting her share. she would give me a discusted look sometimes when i would miss shots.
they have emotions, dreams, and definitely communicate, both with each other and us humans.
i just know they are better companions than most people i have ran into.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Valsdad

There weren't no humans, or dogs 26000 years ago.

The world is only 4000, OK, maybe 6000 years old, depending on the interpretation of the calendars.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING come off that Ark just like it is and is sposed to be.

GEno

What does that have to do with this thread? Nobody with an IQ has believed such fairy tales for 200 years or more.

i'm hoping its satire. geez, my dna markers have been traced to the end of the ice age on the steppes of russia, a lot longer than 4k years ago.
on the other hand, they may have been good swimmers, and just missed the boat.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one thing i do know, having been around two different 80% or better wolf hybreds, they are not the same as domesticated dogs. Think and act totally differently.
you haven't lived till you had a 150pound hybred perched on top of you on the floor, face inches from yours, with those yellow eyes looking deep into you. Would make my hair stand up on the back of my neck.
even my goldies knew the difference. when sam was a pup she was introduced to a wolf hybred pup. she promptly hid and wouldn't get near it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not saying its not possible hell i have a fox in my house, just saying you can't come to a conclusion from 26000 yr old tracks.
Period paintings show Indians with all kinds of weird pets. One of my favorites shows William Penn negotiating with Indians. One of the Indians had a pet Blue Jay.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
After more research from this amazing discovery, it was indeed verified that the child was traveling to Grandmothers house. Further DNA samples of the canines scat indicated that it did not end well for Granny....

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My takeaway from this thread is that people who have spent their lives within the confines of the city do not understand the penchant for wild humans to collect the creatures they stumble across out in the wild.

Some would do well to actually read the data collected on that fox farm in Russia, to understand how few generations it took to create a semi domestic fox simply by selecting for less aggressive pups. Not only did the animals behavior change within the adult lifetime of one human, the animals' physical characteristics changed also. No selection was made for physical characteristics, only for behavioral.

I guess their will be no proof until someone puts several hundred grey wolfs into captivity and selects for behavioral characteristics over twenty or thirty generations. One could make a lot of lovely coats from the culls, and sell the carcasses in the meat markets of Korea.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not saying its not possible hell i have a fox in my house, just saying you can't come to a conclusion from 26000 yr old tracks.
Period paintings show Indians with all kinds of weird pets. One of my favorites shows William Penn negotiating with Indians. One of the Indians had a pet Blue Jay.

just another conjecture to support a narrative.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Things are complicated. Could it be that people raided dens AND had wolves approach camp fires AND loosely hunted with them like M. Browning?
People don't seem to get how long a thousand years is. It's a lot of time for things to happen!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Things are complicated. Could it be that people raided dens AND had wolves approach camp fires AND loosely hunted with them like M. Browning?
People don't seem to get how long a thousand years is. It's a lot of time for things to happen!

I agree with you. I just try to not fall into the notion that a single snap shot in time can depict with any degree of accuracy the support any given narrative. Humans are just to prone to seeing most everything from their own personal perspective.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These scientists remind me of guys like Christopher Hitchens, Antlers and Antelope Hunter - total tunnel vision, no imagination to speak of.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These scientists remind me of guys like Christopher Hitchens, Antlers and Antelope Hunter - total tunnel vision, no imagination to speak of.

Yeah 'cause religious folk are so open minded to other beliefs.

Sheesh.

Classic pot, kettle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Yeah 'cause religious folk are so open minded to other beliefs.

Sheesh.

Classic pot, kettle.
One of the points that stick out in my mind is the prohibition against oysters and crabs. The bunch I named can only think that it is a stupid prohibition. What they don't seem to grok is the possibility that people of those times "buried" the dead in the water or offered human sacrifices to the water and that is what the Israelites saw. What would you think if you pulled up an anchor that had a dead body stuck on it with a bunch of crabs feasting on it? Or how about pulling up a skull with oysters stuck to it? Would you eat those?

I have a friend that grew up in pre-war China. He talks about people bathing in the rivers as bodies and garbage floated by. This sort of thing still happens in India. Care for some Ganges shrimp?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tom264
What kind of wolf did a chihuahua come from?

It’s hard to consider some of those ankle bitters dogs. But, they’re just inbred for many generations to be small. I guess I’d be pissed too all of the time if that was done to me.

I doubt we will never truly know how dogs came about or how anything really happen as none of us were there. All I know for sure is that in my opinion no other animal can connect with a person quite like a dog. I’ve have witnessed through working with them in hostile environments how truly loyal they can be. A dog will give its own life to protect its owner/master/ handler whatever. I haven’t witnessed that behavior in any other animal. So, I’m inclined to believe that the relationship is deeply rooted in our history of evolution and that it was one of coexistence. Just my warm and fuzzy take.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by brinky72

It’s hard to consider some of those ankle bitters dogs. But, they’re just inbred for many generations to be small. I guess I’d be pissed too all of the time if that was done to me.

I doubt we will never truly know how dogs came about or how anything really happen as none of us were there. All I know for sure is that in my opinion no other animal can connect with a person quite like a dog. I’ve have witnessed through working with them in hostile environments how truly loyal they can be. A dog will give its own life to protect its owner/master/ handler whatever. I haven’t witnessed that behavior in any other animal. So, I’m inclined to believe that the relationship is deeply rooted in our history of evolution and that it was one of coexistence. Just my warm and fuzzy take.

Yeah, we co-evolved, for sure. We've merged into a symbiosis.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Tyrone,

I find the article interesting, but can't say it's sufficient for making any broad proclamations.

One of my problems with modern archaeologist etc. is too many of them are city kids and have never lived in the country. They've never experienced the elements of modern life which most closely reflect those of the people whom they are attempting to study.

Here's an example. We visited some old cliff dwelling here in Colorado. There was a wide shallow water basis carved into the stone that the citified archaeologist couldn't figure out what it was used for, so the declared it was for "ceremonial purposes", but any country boy would know it was just right for watering your chickens.

In the original story, I have to wonder how many of those archaeologist have ever so much as tracked a deer, let alone a wolf.

It will be interesting to see how this hypothesis ages.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Before the horse came along the natives used the dogs as pack animals, pulled travois. The dog didn't care for it much, but the squaws
clubbed and kicked them into submission. Uncooperative ones were divided into groups - "breakfast, lunch and dinner".

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Some brown bears on Kodiak have learned to come to the sound of a shot during deer season just in the last few decades. One hunting story I heard had it that a big old boy came in to 40-60 yards, sat down, andd waited for the hunters to finish gutting their deer and leave with the carcass. I suspect some of these animals have picked up the clue after as few as 2 incidents, possibly even one, when natural curiosity is factored in.

Bears in Yellowstone leave the park for gut piles , and the occasional carcass and/or hunter, come elk-hunting season.

I have bird-brained Stellar Jays that tap on my windows, or if that fails, come into my house if the door is open, looking for their peanuts. A neighbor feeds hers (probably mine as well) after dark, or they will be tapping on her bedroom window at 3 am in the summer/fall/spring months. Her bedroom is on the opposite side of the house frm the deck where they are fed. They figured it out....

It is a common story among the Inupiat, and possibly other hunters, that ravens will sometimes "point" animals out to the hunter, having made the connection between hunters and "left-overs".

When my wife goes in to take her shower on Tuesdays, the 10 month old Dachshund immediately comes to me and curls up on my lap. That's the only day he does that, apparently knowing it is the day she works at the food bank, and that she will be gone for most of the day.

It is not a stretch of the imagination to figure that some wild animals whose very lives depend on it, will figure out ways to take advantage of human behavior and act on it. Or that people adopted pups and other baby animals.

Likely both scenarios have taken place many times in the past.

Birds have been trained to hunt for humans, as have cats. Cats in particular most likely took the initiative in co-habitating with mankind. I won't say the little bastids are "domesticated", tho - in fact, the reverse may be true.... smile

Last edited by las; 01/25/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brinky72

Give the credit to the Wolves, it's the pack mentality, in Wolves and apparently Dogs to a lesser extent pack is everything and nothing else has a right to exist. To a dog it you're a human in their pack you deserve total loyalty.
Too bad that mostly is one sided.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I installed a security camera trained on my front entryway that sends a chime to my cell phone whenever someone approaches my front door. It took my dogs about half a day to corelate my chime with an impending visitor thus sending them into a preemptive barking frenzy before the doorbell even rang.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Essentially a good dog is a retarded wolf that, at around age two, doesn’t suddenly try to kill you in order to become the Alpha.

Guess that leaves out Pomeranians.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.