Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Legal or not, open carry is bad PR.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by texasbatman
I carry concealed everywhere I go. I know if I was a bad guy fixing to do some harm I would want to take out the open carries first.

Jim

Which one of these would be first?

[Linked Image from ca-times.brightspotcdn.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too bad, it isn't very common, so common that it is expected in everyday life everywhere we go.

An armed society tends to be a polite society

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I fail to see how question #1 and #3 are exclusive from each other. Those that chose #2 probably don’t need to be carrying in the first place.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

no

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think that poll, if not crafted correctly, will give skewed results.

I'm for open carry as a right, but would never do so myself. Concealed carry provides a tactical advantage, the element of suprise.

The right to open carry is handy if you bend over in Walmart and someone sees the tip of your weapon, panics, calls 911, etc. You are protected.

To have that right and to openly exercise it by brandishing multiple weapons in public does indeed make a point. People tend to be afraid of guns anyway and doing so just increases their anxiety and distrust. It does make a point, but what point is it making...

Sheeple are spooky enough without making'em even crazier.

And, displaying weapons gives perps a free shopping experience with just one shot to the back of your head. All those free guns and no paper work... Talk about hitting the Jackpot... BTW, be carrying your best, most expensive stuff...

Just my take on it.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/25/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

no

I don’t know about any long term PR affects, but imo, it does put the carrier at a tactical disadvantage.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I carry concealed everywhere I go. I know if I was a bad guy fixing to do some harm I would want to take out the open carries first.

Jim

I saw all that in VA recently. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

Jim

I saw all that in VA recently. grin

Reminds me of your O'Reilly Autoparts store scenario as you formulated an operational plan to relieve them of some cash.

As I recall, you'd take out bubba with the big open carry pistol with a quick shot to the head to neutralize him and set the tone for what was to follow.

Perps may not be professionals, but they're practical and would likely do similar.

Like my lawyer buddy says, his clients have the right to remain silent, just not the ability to do so...

Just 'cause we have the right, doesn't mean we shouldn't exercise some tactical sophistication and foresight.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rong
46% yes-53% no
But it's a commie site ,so really it's not "that" bad.
Bad enough ,but I would think it would be way more lop sided.

You misread it. The 1% for "only for defense" is actually another percent for yes. Total yes, then, is 47%.

"Only for self defense" is an ignorant response. How could you legislate and enforce such a law?

"Honest officer, it's for self-defense." How would you prove otherwise?

It is not about enforcing up front, but rather an extra charge after the fact. Something else for leverage when the perp is looking at plea options.

I think it is dumb, but I do see some value.

I just wish some of the idiots would realize they are not doing our side any good by carrying...

I heard you the first time ( grin) but that makes no sense. There are already a bunch of laws on the books that add to the charges when a firearm is used in the commission of a crime, with stiff penalties. And they apply in both public and private spaces.

It's just an ignorant-ass question from MSNBC.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Jim

That's where you sound the retreat, and re-group. Then look for an easier target.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is legal to carry in public. Laws to the contrary are unconstitutional. With that being said, i agree concealed carry is generally preferable to open carry in most situations. I almost always carry a concealed weapon. It does require some adjustments to the way you dress. I wear a belt to hold my holster up and suspenders to hold my pants up but have to wear the suspenders under my shirt now.. My shirt covers my holster.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 22250rem
That poll couldn't possibly be anywhere close to accurate. So much of their tiny audience is anti-gun, and even if tons of gun owners get on there and vote in favor of it, do you really believe MSNBC is gonna report stuff that goes contrary to their agenda ? Hammerdown nailed it down in a previous post.

Years ago, I got a call from Gallup pollster about the Clinton impeachment. I answered their questions. Next day I get another call from them. Basically the same questions, but worded differently to elicit particular responses....... don't trust polling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jim

2nd row on the right. And, BTW, anyone would be an idiot to pull anything there. Certain death to the bad guy is why it was so peaceful.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.